The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #976
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

I'm actually most EXCITED about GOTG for Phase 2 solos because I think it will be so different

Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #977
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
All bets are off on whoever Thor ends up with if Enchantress ends up in the picture. Or Hel. I want Ruth Wilson in this franchise something fierce; she'd make an EPIC Amora, and can you imagine her scenes with Heimdall? I'd also accept her as Hel. I just want her IN an MCU movie.
I would love to see Ruth Wilson as the Amora the Enchantress and Winona Ryder as Hela. That would be so epic.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #978
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMadness View Post
I would love to see Ruth Wilson as the Amora the Enchantress and Winona Ryder as Hela. That would be so epic.
Ruth is just *my* Amora. I feel like Luther is basically her MCU villianness audition tape.

Winona Ryder would be good, very MS-like choice I think.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #979
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Nice I agree with the two of you. Btw, how did they make Cap look so small. I mean before the SSS. Does anyone know this?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #980
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
Nice I agree with the two of you. Btw, how did they make Cap look so small. I mean before the SSS. Does anyone know this?

Like so

Quote:
Brawny "Captain America" saved by "Skinny Steve"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The story of Captain America is well covered in comic book lore: a scrawny, bullied orphan named Steve Rogers is chosen for a top secret government project during World War II in which he becomes a test subject for a super serum.

The serum transforms him into a strong and able soldier named Captain America, and he leads the U.S. Army in its fight against the Nazis.
Actor Chris Evans, who plays the title character in Friday's release of "Captain America: The First Avenger," put on 15 lbs. of muscle to play the role.
The problem: he got too big for Steve Rodgers. Solution: "Skinny Steve."
Having literally built Evans into what the film's director Joe Johnston called "the perfect human specimen," the movie makers had to figure out how the 6 ft. tall actor with the muscled-up physique could convincingly portray the pre-serum Steve Rogers, a scrawny kid of a mere 90-something lbs.

Hollywood has dealt with on screen body changes in many ways over the years. The cast and crew of the 2000 film "Cast Away" took a year-long break so its star, Tom Hanks -- who first gained 50 lbs. for the role -- could drop weight to look like he'd been stranded on a tropical island for years.

One option for "Captain America" was to superimpose Evans' head on a skinny body double, much like the technology employed by filmmaker David Fincher in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" when Brad Pitt had to age backward.
Last year Fincher employed the same technique in "The Social Network," in which Armie Hammer played Tyler Winklevoss and identical twin brother Cameron Winklevoss, which meant digitally putting Hammer's head on actor Josh Pence's body.

'SKINNY STEVE' TO THE RESCUE:

On "Captain America," there was no way to take a year off because its backers at Marvel Studios have been on a tight schedule rolling out their superheroes one by one -- including the recent "Thor" -- so audiences will be familiar with most of them when they join forces in next summer's "The Avengers."

Like Fincher in "Social Network," director Johnston initially hired a body double and used the head replacement system in a scene where Steve Rogers was lying on a table. But he quickly realized it wouldn't work for other sequences.

"Chris moves in such a unique way; he doesn't move like anybody else," Johnston told Reuters. "The body double could not move like him. As hard as he tried to watch Chris and duplicate the movements, it just wasn't the same."

That was perfectly fine with Evans, who was not keen on having another actor involved in creating the iconic role.

"The beginning part of the movie is so crucial to get the audience invested in who Steve is, I didn't want to share that part of the performance with another actor," Evans, 30, told Reuters. "I talked to Joe about it and thankfully, he agreed."

Instead of the body double/superimposed head, the filmmakers used a "shrinking" technique and computers to basically erase portions of Evans' strong physique on screen.

"We filmed over 250 shots of Chris and used digital technology to 'shrink' him down to what we called 'Skinny Steve,'" said Johnston.

"It's pretty amazing," added Evans. "They took shape out of my jaw line, they shrunk my skeleton and they made my shoulders less broad."

While it may sound easy, it wasn't. Each time Evans' body went through the digital nips and tucks, it created empty space in the background which needed to be filled in.
Multiple shots had to be filmed with green screens just to superimpose the scenery that would normally have been there had bulky Evans really been little, scrappy Steve Rogers.
"It was a very arduous process," said Johnston. "It took all of pre-production and most of production to do all 250 shots."

Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #981
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Do we have a gif thread for this movie yet?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #982
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Small detail here

Notice all the prisoners in the cell behind are laying down or incapacitated? Could this be after the explosion? Maybe Thor didn't want anyone to hear them plotting? (as if Heimdall couldn't...)
Was looking at this too; you may be right. I was thinking that it was just nighttime, and this is how the prisoners sleep (alas, no bunk beds for baddies). In the early version of this scene in the first teaser trailer--when Thor approaches Loki's cell and Loki has the long curly hair--he was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall, just like some of the prisoners in the background.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #983
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Like so
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #984
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Not movie concerning but, 2/10/13 (yesterday) Marvel released OGN THOR: SEASON ONE which is a retelling of origin story in modern day setting, and I must admit it was pretty good. Good art (I would say great, but some may find it too cartoonish), nice story flow (in Dr.Strange SEASON ONE, for example, story was bland and all over the places imo). As an added bonus it have a Jane/Thor romance that is believable and nice and Jane who is strong and competent while feminine.

Ohh and i think this "Internet media" recap page is pretty funny:

Last edited by Moonwing; 10-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #985
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Here's my bold prediction; after THE DARK WORLD, it will become painfully clear that the THOR franchise is the best one in the MCU.

Best cast. Best storylines. Potential for most epic and operatic. Most fun. Best lead character. Best villains. Just the best, period.
I think it's a missed opportunity that you didn't put your prediction in bold.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #986
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Not movie concerning but, 2/10/13 (yesterday) Marvel released OGN THOR: SEASON ONE which is a retelling of origin story in modern day setting, and I must admit it was pretty good. Good art (I would say great, but some may find it too cartoonish), nice story flow (in Dr.Strange SEASON ONE, for example, story was bland and all over the places imo). As an added bonus it have a Jane/Thor romance that is believable and nice and Jane who is strong and competent while feminine.

Who did the art? Looks pretty good. Thanks for the info. Might need to pick it up.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #987
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post

I loved this graphic novel. Great retelling of Thor's origin.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #988
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Who did the art? Looks pretty good. Thanks for the info. Might need to pick it up.
The art is done by Pepe Larraz, who did some issues from that awful Fraction's run of Thor. Pretty good artist, imo.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #989
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Here's my bold prediction; after THE DARK WORLD, it will become painfully clear that the THOR franchise is the best one in the MCU.

Best cast. Best storylines. Potential for most epic and operatic. Most fun. Best lead character. Best villains. Just the best, period.
Wait ......... are you being sarcastic? Never would've expected this comment from you.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #990
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:

I think it will be true for my case at least. The first movie has very tough competition with Iron Man but I think it beat all the rest and TDW certainly has a great chance to top every other MCU movie by the looks of things, which would put it way above the IM1+2 combo (although I'm one of those that enjoy IM2).

Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #991
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
The art is done by Pepe Larraz, who did some issues from that awful Fraction's run of Thor. Pretty good artist, imo.
I did like the art of that run. Even if the stories were not all that good for the most part.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 10-02-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #992
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
I did like the art of that run. Even if the stories were not all that good for the most part.
Yeah, it was good art. Both Pasqual ferry and Pepe Larraz shared similar styles, and it mostly worked.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #993
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

At this point for me it is,

TFA
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor
IM3
TIH
IM2

And TWS is looking incredible. So right now, I am probably going to take Cap even though my favorite characters are Thor and Loki.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #994
seahammer
Side-Kick

So I'm catching up on the last few pages of this thread, but I wanted to post something in regards to the (now probably no longer a current topic) discussion of Thor and Malekith's battle seemingly passing through various realms as they fight..

It really reminds me of Thor #400, where Thor is fighting Surtur. Thor becomes huge, and they basically hop from world to world as they battle with each other. There are other battles going on, so every few pages there is just a panel or two of Thor and Surtur locked in battle, with a different backdrop each time.

Even though this is a fight with Malekith in T:TDW, I just love that this idea may be being roughly translated to the big screen.

Here are a couple of samples from that fight:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

In conclusion: Great time to be a Thor fan!!!!!!! I'm geeking out on a daily basis!

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #995
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
At this point for me it is,

TFA
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor
IM3
TIH
IM2

And TWS is looking incredible. So right now, I am probably going to take Cap even though my favorite characters are Thor and Loki.
Well for me it's

The Avengers
Iron Man 3
TFA
Iron Man
Thor
TIH
IM2

Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #996
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol Thor IS a fertility god too you know
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMadness View Post
Honestly, Sif would be a much better candidate for Thor's partner as a whole- appearances aside. She'd Asgardian, she's tough, and would be able to rule Asgard as Queen with Thor for however long he stays as king. Jane? She's mortal, and unless Marvel decides to implement the apples of Idunn or some other way of making her live much longer, there is no way she can be Queen if she decides to stay with Thor. And what's he going to do if she can't become *immortal* like him? Abandon his duties as Asgard's crown prince/king to live on Midgard with her for the next 50-ish years? Jane's going to die of old age eventually, and even if they found some way to greatly increase her life expectancy, she has no idea what it would mean to be the girlfriend and possibly wife of a prince/king. She's a science major living in a country that supports democracy, not monarchy as on Asgard, and has never been around that sort of thing before. Sif, on the other hand, has. I don't mean to bash Jane, but I really cannot see her relationship with Thor working in the long-term.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #997
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol Thor IS a fertility god too you know
I'm digging the new avy Vartha.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #998
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm digging the new avy Vartha.
Lady Marion, MADE IT HAD to have it. Wish I could have added the part he lifts it to the sky too but the file would be to big

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #999
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Lady Marion, MADE IT HAD to have it. Wish I could have added the part he lifts it to the sky too but the file would be to big
Cool man. I really want the one he's landing it's badass. BTW here some new concept art released today....

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #1000
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

SWEET! I hope they release more. maybe Character concepts.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Closed Thread