The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #251
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Batman physique thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Yeah, but, unlike the old set photos of Cavill you referenced, where his legs are still very much covered up by loose-fitting clothing, SMoS used a clear professionally taken image to demonstrate his point -- that Cavill's legs were certainly in proportion to the rest of his body.

Out of the aforementioned set photos, the image below is the only one I could find where you can see just a portion of the actor's quad muscles (in his left leg). If the thigh was less covered, additional size and definition would be more visible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
No not that pic there is a cleared one when you can see Cavill leg and they look very skinny hence my assumption he had chicken legs. With the pic from above I can see I was mistaken I will try and get the pic I am talking about.
Why do people think Cavill skipped leg day? He trained his legs a ton. Out of all his workouts, he always spoke about squats, the many plans on various websites all hit the leg hard and even the promos from Gym Jones and WB all show Cavill squatting a lot. He clearly hit his legs hard. Below are just some of the many images.

And here is better quality of the image above. You can Cavill's quad is well developed and sculpted.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #252
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

There is also the simple fact that actors quads are not displayed on screen. In a rare film like 300 or Conan are the quads on screen. So a lot of people in Hollywood skip legs because they don't have to show the legs on screen (Pitt had a leg double for Troy).

That's not to say Cavill skipped legs too. Gym Jones believe in functional training and they beasted Cavill with leg work as it is beneficial if you want to get big and make your body grow.

Last edited by slumcat; 10-03-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #253
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

@Slumcat,

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #254
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
There is also the simple fact that actors quads are not displayed on screen. In a rare film like 300 or Conan are the quads on screen. So a lot of people in Hollywood skip legs because they don't have to show the legs on screen (Pitt had a leg double for Troy).

That's not to say Cavill skipped legs too. Gym Jones believe in functional training and they beasted Cavill with leg work as it is beneficial if you want to get big and make your body grow.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #255
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Superman beaten by a rugby player in pushup contest!

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featu...-by-tom-croft/
Quote:
Aaron Penberthy knew he was in for something special when he ended his time with the Cornish Pirates to join upwardly mobile Jersey.

But what the talented fly-half had not prepared for was a visit from Superman during the club’s opening pre-season friendly against Leicester.

Hollywood’s latest Man of Steel, Jersey-born superstar Henry Cavill, has since become a season ticket holder and will attend whenever he can.

But, as Penberthy reveals, Superman might not be so keen to challenge the physical prowess of rugby players on his next visit to St Peter.

“It was weird. There was a big crowd at the top of the clubhouse and none of us knew what it was all about” Penberthy told The Rugby Paper.

“It turned out Henry Cavill was up there and I had no idea he was a Jersey boy. It was all good fun and a lot of us had our pictures taken.

“He partied with the Leicester team afterwards and said that if any of their lads could beat him to 50 press-ups, they could use his limousine.

“Tom Croft promptly beat him and got his driver to take him into town. Henry had a good time with us but might not fancy doing that again!”
This dude beat Superman!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #256
Bonesrot

Quote:

This dude beat Superman!
As much as I admire Cavill's physique I can't say I'm surprised that a professional athlete beat an actor in a push up contest.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #257
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

99% of actors train (when they have to) for aesthetics and not really to build up any real strength.

I wonder if the whole playing superman thing has gotten to cavil's head a bit much? probably brought him back down to earth haha.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #258
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesrot View Post
As much as I admire Cavill's physique I can't say I'm surprised that a professional athlete beat an actor in a push up contest.
Yep, just cuz you have a nice physique and a lot of muscle mass doesn't mean that you have the performance to back it up.
I wonder though if he just did it for fun and didn't really think he was gonna win, he seems like the kinda guy who would do that.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #259
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
99% of actors train (when they have to) for aesthetics and not really to build up any real strength.

I wonder if the whole playing superman thing has gotten to cavil's head a bit much? probably brought him back down to earth haha.
Well, to be fair, Gym Jones does focus on functional training. Cavill's program probably made him feel really fit and athletic. And while still in good shape, October 2013 Cavill is nowhere near the same physical specimen he was during filming of MOS two years ago.

Also, to be fair to him, the story involves partying after the game and a good bit of drinking... I think it was the alcohol if anything that went to his head. It was also probably a good natured challenge, not really born of ego.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #260
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Couldn't agree more he looks great, anyway we have strolled way of topic. I think we need a shirtless Ben Affleck pic to drop soon.
I know this is the Batman physique thread but I think it can be used as a general purpose Batman vs Superman physique thread.

And no shirtless pic of Affleck is dropping soon. Cavill's shirtless pics dropped 3-4 months into the shooting and that too because his shirtless scenes were outdoors. At best that means people won't see Affleck's Batman shape till about maybe May-June next year.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #261
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
It's amazing that fitness trainers have made physicality in casting an almost non issue.
You can get an actor 'sorta' looks the part and then turn him into an absolute monster in the gym with enough prep time.
Genetics are still important. Actors already have good body genes, handsome looks, good skin, body shape etc. so their body genes are good. And of course the training absolutely has to be put in, nothing happens by magic. They just have the motivation of millions of dollars in payday.

Even so, some actors get better results than others.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #262
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Yep, just cuz you have a nice physique and a lot of muscle mass doesn't mean that you have the performance to back it up.
I wonder though if he just did it for fun and didn't really think he was gonna win, he seems like the kinda guy who would do that.
I think it might have been just a lot of lad ribbing. There's some sort of a video after the pushup contest it seems.

http://henrycavill.org/en/blog/photo...vill-in-jersey

It is all in pretty good spirit, nothing egoistical.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #263
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

Of course they do it all for aesthetics, because they have to look like the character but not be the character.

But of course they are very strong too, anybody would get strong after that much training. So it's not fair to say that Cavill has no real strength and his physique is just for showing off. He might have lost by just 2-3 pushups. And of course actors cannot compete with professional athletes who have all trained basically their entire lives.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #264
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Well, to be fair, Gym Jones does focus on functional training. Cavill's program probably made him feel really fit and athletic. And while still in good shape, October 2013 Cavill is nowhere near the same physical specimen he was during filming of MOS two years ago.
I actually think that Cavill might have had more energy during the rugby club visit than while filming his scenes for MOS. Cavill said that while bulking he was at 5000 calories and while he didn't look great, he felt very strong. But while filming the shirtless scenes, he was down to 1500 calories to show all his muscle definition, he was looking awesome but feeling energy deprived. And he was bulking during that rugby club visit.

Even Hugh Jackman said that during the Shingen fight scene in The Wolverine where he looks shredded like all hell, he was feeling almost faint because he had very little energy.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #265
Bonesrot

Quote:
I know this is the Batman physique thread but I think it can be used as a general purpose Batman vs Superman physique thread.

And no shirtless pic of Affleck is dropping soon. Cavill's shirtless pics dropped 3-4 months into the shooting and that too because his shirtless scenes were outdoors. At best that means people won't see Affleck's Batman shape till about maybe May-June next year.
Unless we get some paparazzi pictures of Affleck leaving the gym or something. I'd like an update on what kind of shape he's in at this stage.

Anyone know what kind of training he's doing?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #266
HUMANIMAL

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #267
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of course they do it all for aesthetics, because they have to look like the character but not be the character.

But of course they are very strong too, anybody would get strong after that much training. So it's not fair to say that Cavill has no real strength and his physique is just for showing off. He might have lost by just 2-3 pushups. And of course actors cannot compete with professional athletes who have all trained basically their entire lives.
Of course cavil got quite strong during filming but I think athletes depending on the sport generally have a strength advantage over those who just lift in the gym.

Someone who plays rugby is using many different muscle groups simultaneously often. Generally someone who just lifts is really only used to focusing on one or 2 sets of muscle groups at a time. A rugby player would likely have much more functional strength overall.

This is just my theory btw.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #268
HUMANIMAL

athletes also train for a much longer period then actors...its mostly their whole life

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #269
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Ben looks good

Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #270
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:

This dude beat Superman!
What team is that?

Jersey looks cool as hell.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #271
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

England.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #272
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Ok guys here is the pic I was talking about that made me think Cavill had chicken legs.http://socialitelife.com/photos/henr...-10142011-lead

Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #273
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Chicken legs is not the term really. His legs are a bit disproportionate to his upper body but that's likely the result of his genetics rather than neglecting them like some gym goers do.

Legs are some of the hardest muscles to build up if you don't have a good genetic disposition to size there.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #274
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Ok guys here is the pic I was talking about that made me think Cavill had chicken legs.http://socialitelife.com/photos/henr...-10142011-lead
Yeah, I know. Like I stated above, Cavill's legs are partly covered by loose clothing in the majority of those set photos.

In this rare image from the bunch, however, where his left thigh is a little less covered, you can see that the actor's quads are actually quite large and well-sculpted. His calves aren't huge, but they're much bigger than his forearms; so the leg to arm ratio is fine.

Note: Slumcat elaborated on this in an earlier post on the same page.

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 10-09-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #275
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

It's very rare to see a person with massive calves, even in the bodybuilding world. Arnold Schwarzenegger, widely regarded as still being the gold standard, didn't have calves as big as some of the fat people I see walking around.

Henry looked just fine. Anyway, Ben Affleck will need to put on a decent 15 pounds of muscle from his days in The Town to compare favorably to Cavill, who looked terrific in Man of Steel.

Closed Thread