The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
smallville fan
Hero

Default What OTHER elements from The Dark Knight Returns could we see?

Ok, so we know about that infamous quote and antagonistic encounter/fight between Superman and Batman etc

What other stuff could we see potentially carry over? Either thematically, plot-wise, symbolically etc etc

For example, could we see Batman drive a tank? Could we also see him in that armor? Could we see the media and news-people as seen in the animated movie/comic?

You get the idea.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Default Re: What OTHER elements from The Dark Knight Returns could we see?

Well. There's a few key elements that I expect to be used:

1) Batman will be a veteran, having already been Batman for a some time.

2) Batman will be a wanted vigilante.

And

3) Superman will have aligned himself with the government.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

David Endocrine

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
shauner111
Side-Kick

Superman's not going to be anything like Frank Miller's version. He wont be working with the government like that.

As for the tank? The tumbler was pretty much Nolan's nod to that tank. Ill say that Affleck's Batman will drive a more traditional batmobile.

I don't think anything will be carried over from TDKReturns other than Batman being older (in his 40s instead of his 50s though) and the potential fight with Superman.

Everything else will be a new story. A good chunk of Returns was used in The Dark Knight Rises so it wouldn't be wise to use too much other than the final act with Superman.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Hopefully none as it is my most hated comic.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Rorschach2012
$

Your most hated comic? It's controversial, especially if you're a Superman fan, but it's a great story.

I hope they take more inspiration from Hush and TLH for Batman

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Batman on a mother****in' horse.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
David Endocrine
Finally!

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
I have to agree I am not a Miller fan sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Your most hated comic? It's controversial, especially if you're a Superman fan, but it's a great story.

THIS

Dk1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Batman on a mother****in' horse.

I always liked how Batman looked on a dark horse. A proper black knight.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

Hush is overrated and Long Halloween has been done enough with TDK.

They need to look to the stories that Nolan didn't touch. I don't mind the last part of Returns as long as it's just the Superman stuff, but they really need to move away from the Nolanverse. That's the whole point of rebooting an entire franchise, so you do something drastically different from what came before. Even down to its influences.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
There are some comics I hate more, but yeah I agree Dark Knight Returns is utter garbage. From art to story to everything else. Garbage.

random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Frank Miller's art is not garbage. It's stylized and you may not like it, but his art is not garbage.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
There are some comics I hate more, but yeah I agree Dark Knight Returns is utter garbage. From art to story to everything else. Garbage.
How could one of the most influential, if not THE most influential Batman story to emerge since the 80's, which paved the way to so much...be "utter garbage"???

Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

They need to look to the stories that Nolan didn't touch. I don't mind the last part of Returns as long as it's just the Superman stuff, but they really need to move away from the Nolanverse. That's the whole point of rebooting an entire franchise, so you do something drastically different from what came before. Even down to its influences.
They took some story elements from TLH sure, but the portrayal of Batman was pretty different. The Nolan Batman was too realistic. If they're going for a more comics oriented and less realistic Batman, the perfect place to start looking is Hush and TLH, same with Court of Owls.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
How could one of the most influential, if not THE most influential Batman story to emerge since the 80's, which paved the way to so much...be "utter garbage"???

Just to jump on the bandwagon....DKR is probably THE ultimate Batman
story. That was an amazing time in the world of comics, Moore's Watchmen and Miracleman, Miller's DKR and Elektra Assassin, were pushing the boundaries of the genre, they weren't just edgy, they were the edge.

If you take DKR and Batman Year One together you have the perfect bookends to Batman's story.

Having said all that I would like to see.....NONE OF DKR in the movie.

If the film is really a BM vs SM story, then it needs different source
material.

The Superman/Batman relationship in DKR is not a "first-time" meeting.
It's a huge philosophical divide, caused by decades of conflict over their
methods. It's a friendship soured with age and bitterness. That's what makes the final fist-fight so powerful....for all the Batfans, sorry, but Superman was holding back - he wasn't trying to kill Batman, or even hurt him (which is why Batman got broken ribs rather than splattered all over the street, or incinerated with heat vision)
Batman overcomes him with cunning (Batman's greatest weapon, which , as Superman in Grant Morrisons' JLA story, said makes him the most dangerous man on earth). Bats knew Superman wasn't going to
let loose at full force, he's predictable, which is what allowed him to
lure him into position for the kryptonite arrow. Yes, Batman won that one
, go Batman.

Of course, Bats never planned to kill Superman either -because Batman,
whenever possible, does not kill.

Having said all that, the fight is brutal and visceral, and something we hadn't seen before, way back in 1986. But, it works, and it works because of the characters' shared history.

In a movie where they meet for the first time, that fight scene just wouldn't work -without some pretty major changes, so much that it would be a different scene altogether.

I think much more appropriate source material for Supes and Bats first meeting would be some of John Byrne's work from around the same time
(the late 80's, Superman reboot).

Okay, maybe some stylistic elements from DKR could work in the BM/SM film, but story-wise.......probably not so much.

(yes, we're all thinking it, Batfleck doesn't look anything like Miller's Batman)

So..... no DKR story elements in BM/SM, maybe some style but no story please.

peace.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I find TDKR haterz to be on this kind of plane.

*They don't like the Superman portrayal and his relationship to THIS Batman (understandable)
*They don't like its influence on later comics.
*They don't like the way Batman's portrayed (I like the book, and that's also understandable)
*They don't think it's well written (Okay, that I CAN'T understand)
*They don't like the art style or divergence from usual Batman incarnations (Frank draws in a blocky, but visually striking manner. The fight with the Mutants in the Tank stands out in my mind. As for the "it's different" thing, it was intended to be an Elseworlds.)

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

....and furthermore, DKR is Batman's story ! He owns it, and every panel he appears in. The book is worthy of a film all in its own right that only features a guest appearance by Superman (and like I went crazy on in the last post, is not appropriate for a first meeting film).

However, you might be on to something in terms of the gritty style that Miller used to portray Gotham - that could definitely work.

Miller's Batmobile: Batman needs a tank !

Miller's Batcopter: Batman needs a Russian gunship copter !

Miller's portrayal of Jim Gordon ......probably covered in the Nolanverse TDKR film. Sorry, but after Gary Oldman, there aren't many who could step into Gordon's shoes.

Miller's vision of a Gotham out of control, where crime is rampant.....could work.

Miller's Batman.....not sure if Batfleck could carry off the menace, the obsession, the physicality of the role (certainly not the physique, you'd
need Schwarzenegger for that !)

hey, but great idea for a thread. Peace.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:

Absolutely. Batman has a plethora of stories under his belt that they could use.

Quote:
Frank Miller's art is not garbage. It's stylized and you may not like it, but his art is not garbage.
The Dark Knight Strikes Again says Whassup

http://wtfdccomics.wordpress.com/201...strikes-again/

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Even his art in DKSA is a deliberate stylistic choice, I'll take it any day over the thousands of Jim Lee imitators.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
....and furthermore, DKR is Batman's story ! He owns it, and every panel he appears in. The book is worthy of a film all in its own right that only features a guest appearance by Superman (and like I went crazy on in the last post, is not appropriate for a first meeting film).

However, you might be on to something in terms of the gritty style that Miller used to portray Gotham - that could definitely work.

Miller's Batmobile: Batman needs a tank !

Miller's Batcopter: Batman needs a Russian gunship copter !

Miller's portrayal of Jim Gordon ......probably covered in the Nolanverse TDKR film. Sorry, but after Gary Oldman, there aren't many who could step into Gordon's shoes.

Miller's vision of a Gotham out of control, where crime is rampant.....could work.

Miller's Batman.....not sure if Batfleck could carry off the menace, the obsession, the physicality of the role (certainly not the physique, you'd
need Schwarzenegger for that !)

hey, but great idea for a thread. Peace.
Miller's Gordon is next to nothing like Oldman's. This isn't a slight on Miller OR Oldman. Jim is generally depicted as a sympathetic and likeable ally to Batman, and not as much as the hard-boiled cynic from the Miller books.

I think Oldman NAILED the traditional versions of Modern Era Gordon. His version is completely different from Miller's, and I'm more then ok with that.

I think if he has a good voice and a nice costume, he COULD pull of Frank Miller's menace. But Frank's Batman is so scary and borderline psychotic that I think it's not the best route to go. Maybe leaning towards Miller, but not a complete TDKR envisioning, and TDKSA/AllStar should NOT be an influence at all.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #23
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Oldman in Batman Begins is the Gordon straight out of Year One.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Superman's not going to be anything like Frank Miller's version. He wont be working with the government like that.
Now I'm not saying he'll be a complete government puppet like he was in that book (MOS proved that; "You're scared of me because you can't control me. You can't and you never will".), but after the events of MOS, and Supes's statement to Swanwick about getting Washington on his side (and the likelihood of public distrust in him after he leveled a city), I think he'll be doing all he can to earn good will.

A better example of how his relationship will be with the government is that in The New Frontier.

He's firmly on their side and helps how he can, but is in no way controlled by them.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 10-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oldman in Batman Begins is the Gordon straight out of Year One.
He looks the part. I have both a copy of Begins and Year One at home, and I can tell you, they have different personalities.

BUT, I think Oldman's gonna be really tough to MATCH.