The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #926
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Curious, but between Superman's rescue of Lois from crashing into the fields afters having escaped from Black Zero to Superman rescuing her after she was thrown out of a plane, which one of those two rescues did you guys enjoy the most?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #927
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I agree, people love more than one person, its not that there is a Lois and Lana it is the way the show did it; they made Lois seem like second best and Clark was with her because he couldn't have Lois, she didn't deserve that, no one does. They could have handled it so much better.
There is no doubt that Smallville could have and should have handled Lana's entire story arc better over the years. But frankly, I am baffled by the reasoning taking place in this entire conversation. Baffled.

That is not how love works. I don't know how old you are or if any of you are married and it's not my business---but this is just NOT HOW LOVE WORKS LONG TERM.

Let's be clear on a few things here:

Smallville was telling the story in it's later seasons of a Clark Kent who had lost his way and was trying to find his way back. They were telling the story of a Clark Kent who had become paralyzed by fear and was making destructive personal choices, in part, because he was terrified of losing someone close to him again the way he had lost his father. They were also telling the story of a Clark Kent who grew up in a post 911 world where people were very un-trusting and frightened of the unknown---something that Dean Cain's Superman was NOT dealing with. Combined with the reality that Dean Cain's Superman had not lost his father nor anyone else close to him when he met Lois makes the comparisons totally inappropriate. Now, we can all debate whether or not the show went too far with the melodrama (they did) but that doesn't change the narrative that was being told and the realities that were put in place for this man's life.

Clark and Lana's behavior echoed and mirrored the kind of behavior that is extremely recognizable in YOUTH but often is the kind of relationship and behavior that you learn from and grow out of as you mature, change and grow. That kind of destructive, all consuming behavior is extremely comparable to the behavior of a lot of people when they are extremely young.

The truth is that relationships---even relationships between people who love each other---end in life for a variety of reasons. Many times, relationships ends (especially when you are young) without closure. They end abruptly. They end when you don't want them to. That does NOT MEAN that when you grow and learn and change that the person you eventually marry was your "second choice" and it's a troubling view of love to imply that it does.

When I was younger, I was madly in love with a guy who I would have sworn to you up and down I was going to marry. I could never imagine loving anyone else as much as I loved him. Our relationship was destructive and unhealthy but I continued to go back to him and he continued to go back to me. We had no real closure. We graduated from college and wound up in different cities but never really chose to leave each other. It was dramatic and all consuming. And you know what? Eventually, without any real decision on my part....I somehow moved on. I fell in love with the man who is NOW my husband and as soon as I grew up and changed I realized that I had been WRONG before to believe that that other guy was the person for me. I was young and stupid and I didn't yet understand what real love was. Does this mean that my husband is my "second choice" because I truly loved another person before him? OF COURSE NOT. I grew and changed. I realized I was wrong before. Looking back, I can't BELIEVE that I didn't see clearly before just how wrong that other man was for me. But hindsight is 20/20. And sometimes finding your true love is a longer journey.

When Lois vanished at the end of Season 8, Clark found that he was no longer able to repress whatever it was he had been feeling for Lois. He wasn't able to maintain his humanity without her there. He was forced to own up to the darkness and destruction inside of himself. He was also forced to face his own identity-crisis head on. We hear him acknowledge several times that he has made mistakes---he is aware that he has hidden from who he is supposed to be for a long time. And this is DEEPLY CONNECTED to love bc we cannot truly love ANYONE until we truly love ourselves.

When Clark started to interact with Lois as The Blur--he saw a whole new side of her. The vulnerable side she hid from him the rest of the time. But this wasn't just about Lois---it was also about CLARK. It was about Clark finding and finally accepting his own identity and his own heritage through Lois's eyes. It was about finding pride in his own alienness as opposed to running from it. IN this way, Clark's growth and self-identityw as deeply tied to his relationship with Lois as the Blur.

As Clark continued to give in to what he felt for Lois, we saw him slowly open himself up even more in ways he never had willingly before. HE openly told the audience and Lois that "all his life he had been AFRAID." We heard him acknowledge to Lois that he understood now that she "was the one he had ALWAYS needed." Always. As in past. As in a recognition that he understood now and saw things clearly that he had not before. We heard him tell her openly that she was "the one and always will be" and we saw him openly devote his life forever to her.

We saw Clark wrestle with his fear to keep Lois safe. After all, every other person who had learned Clark's secret had been hurt or had their life changed for the worse in some way. We saw and HEARD Clark struggle to burden Lois with what he felt was an unfair chain on her life. However, by the final season, he took the final leap of faith and chose to give in to love and NOT LIFE IN FEAR. That was the entire message of the show---that you CANNOT LIVE IN FEAR. That love cannot be dictated by fear. You have to be willing to risk everything in order to have anything. And so...he put it all on the line for her. She was the first and ONLY person that he opened himself up to completely without being coerced in some way. She was the first and only person that he chose to put himself on the line for not based on fear---but based on love. And then, in an additional show of love, he gave her his journal filled with all of his alien heritage secrets so that there would truly be nothing between them.

This is what actually happened on the show. Now, we can debate whether or not we liked Lana's ending on the series and that's a fair point. Personally, Lana's ending on the series bothered me not for Clark (bc he did have time to grow and change) but for LANA. I didn't like knowing that she was out there suffering alone while Clark was happy. I wanted to know that she would be ok. That she would find her own happiness. Lana sought power that wasn't hers and she paid the price for it. Clark returned to a relationship that was easy and familiar as opposed to facing his fear of the unknown. I'm so glad that the Season 11 comic has addressed that and I hope we get more. But it has virtually nothing to do with how Lois and Clark's relationship progressed after that point as the narrative made it more than clear not only that Clark grew and matured and changed and faced down his demons but that he was truly and completely madly in love with Lois and believed with all his heart that she was his soulmate and the love of his life.

Love is a tricky, tricky thing. Especially when you are young. When you finally find yourself with the person you choose to spend your life with....sometimes many things become clear. Things that weren't clear before. Things that you did before seem like a lifetime away. People you swore you'd love forever all of a sudden...are not the people you thought they were. Things that certainly weren't clear when you were young and stupid and driven by emotions that you don't understand at the time. But I'm tired of this "Second choice" nonsense. Not only is that not what happened....but it's just not how love works. Not real love. Not lasting marriage. This is something MANY MANY people go through. Not on a supernatural level. Not with powers. But this is very true to life. Lois was not a "second choice." That's not the story that was being told and I honestly can't fathom how anyone could maturely look at that narrative and make that kind of argument. Not how love or marriage works, folks.

Now, I'm sure I'm going to get more responses back with the same old, same old. Whatever. That's fine. I know what to expect on this board. But it's unfortunate. Bc there was a deeper message at play here. ABout growing up. About love. About the way our relationship with love CHANGES as we grow and change and learn who we truly are. And you missed it.

Last edited by Audrey; 10-03-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #928
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Curious, but between Superman's rescue of Lois from crashing into the fields afters having escaped from Black Zero to Superman rescuing her after she was thrown out of a plane, which one of those two rescues did you guys enjoy the most?
I liked the rescue scene in the cornfield. To me, it was their sparkiest scene in the movie. Pure wonder. It was a classic Superman/Lois moment. Lois is standing there totally in awe and breathless and Superman is beaming and calm and majestic. The actors had a real moment together there and I wish the film had given us more of it.

That said, I did really enjoy the kiss. It was a great kiss. There was just something about that moment in the cornfield that really got me.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #929
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Audrey,

There was some good in Smallville, and what you say is true. But there was also so much bad, tge writing was really inconsistent, that it is hard to appreciate the good. The writing was awful in the final few seasons, and that really pulled down the Clois romance, and everything else.

There is also the issue that welling is a terrible actor. He never seemed in love with lois, he was always wooden and whining, contrast that to dean cain, who totally came off as enamored of teri hatcher in a mature yet sweet way.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #930
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Audrey,

There was some good in Smallville, and what you say is true. But there was also so much bad, tge writing was really inconsistent, that it is hard to appreciate the good. The writing was awful in the final few seasons, and that really pulled down the Clois romance, and everything else.
Your opinion. I don't know how many times this can be said. Frankly, I wish we didn't even have to have this conversation. For the life of me, I can't believe I had to come onto this board bc people were bashing Smallville on it. This board isn't supposed to be about Smallville and yet...here we are.

There are thousands of other people who would disagree with you. And their feelings are equally as valid. It is not some "fact" that this show was terrible and it's disheartening in ways I can't even express to come onto this board wanting to celebrate Man of STeel and see THIS crap over here.

I'm not some moron. I'm a 30 year old woman. I'm an intelligent woman. I know what I like and I recognize storytelling I do and don't like. I can articulate CLEARLY.

Smallville had good and bad episodes. It had good and bad seasons. The writing, in my opinion, was always a struggle but the actors often rose above the material. FOR ME, the final seasons were enjoyable bc they embraced a journey for Clark that spoke to me. I genuinely enjoyed the Lois/Clark relationship and consider it the high point of the series FOR ME. PLease respect that.

Quote:
There is also the issue that welling is a terrible actor. He never seemed in love with lois, he was always wooden and whining, contrast that to dean cain, who totally came off as enamored of teri hatcher in a mature yet sweet way.
No, this isn't an issue bc I don't agree with you and never will.

I've acted professionally. I went to Undergrad for English and Theater. Not only do I think Tom Welling is a good actor but I think he's criminally underrated. I don't think people have any idea how truly difficult it was to play that character in all his stillness for 10 years. It is WAY WAY easier to be flamboyant or over the top in your acting. It's much, much harder to play a character who is quiet and still. I LIKE Tom.

The comparison to Dean Cain has no place here. The situations are not comparable. For starters, Dean Cain WAS more mature. He was playing Clark Kent as a 27 year old at the START of the series and his Clark was over 30 by the time the show ended. Lois throws Clark a 30's birthday party in the final season. Tom was playing Clark as a MUCH MUCH younger man and also a man who had been through a lot more tragedy. Dean Cain was playing a Superman who had never lost anyone close to him in a pre 9-11 world. It was a DIFFERENT situation. Either way, as an actor myself, I'm going to have to majorly disagree that Dean is more talented. I think both men are good and solid. Both are good at different things.

And frankly, I love "Lois and Clark"---let me be clear on that. I do. It was a show that meant a great deal to me growing up. I still love Teri and Dean. But as I've grown and matured and learned a bit more about the history of the Superman mythos and reasoned my own feelings feminism and cultural expectations there are certain things that BOTHER me about LnC.

"Lois and Clark" for better or worse put the burden on Lois Lane to "see" Clark Kent. And they did it in a narrative in which Clark was supposed to be the "Real" person. Now, I think you can debate that LnC oversimpified the identity issue as itw as more than clear that Superman was a real part of CK too on that show. But the reality is that that show set Lois up to be the one who was "blind." NOw, don't get me wrong---it WORKED on that show and it was beautiful. It worked.

But I genuinely loved that on Smallville the burden was not solely on Lois. She wasn't asked to "See" bc she was blind. Instead, the burden shifted to Clark to be true to himself and to take that leap of faith. Lois didn't have to "prove" that she loved Clark bc we knew that she did. For me, that felt like vindication for all those years where Lois got called stupid bc she didn't know the truth. It wasn't her job to figure it out. She did anyway...but it wasn't her burden. She did nothing wrong. It was about Clark having the guts to be true to himself and not live in fear. That was huge to me. NEver seemed in love with Lois? I don't know what show you were watching. That's all I can say. I do not see this the way you do. I do not agree with your opinion.

But here's the real kicker---I do not feel the need to degrade one of these actors or shows to put up the other. I think there were positives to celebrate about each show and about all the actors. I see good and bad things in both and I celebrate both.

All I know right now? Is that I want to post on this board. But every time I poke my head in here the last few weeks it's been nothing but a Smallville bash fest. And you know? That just really freaking sucks. That just ruins this entire experience. Bc I thought this was supposed to be a place for us to celebrate and share and debate as fans. But instead? It's this. I come to a board and all I find is constant bashing of something that actually does mean something to me---as if it's some kind of fact. I see untrue statements about the show stated as fact. I see people bashing Tom Welling's weight? (WTF??) What a total turn-off. I'm genuinely sorry you were so unhappy with the show. I truly am. But for some of us? It meant something to us. The Lois/Clark relationship on Smallville MEANT SOMETHING TO ME. As did LnC. So how about people try to be respectful of that and leave the hatred for it off of this board bc it's genuinely ruining the experience for me and making me not even want to visit here to talk about AMY and Man of STeel---what we are ACTUALLY supposed to be discussing. Thank you.

(**And seriously the bashing of Tom Welling's weight? Totally uncalled for. UNCALLED for. Also ridiculous. He's a stunningly gorgeous man. I'm a married woman and I have zero problem saying to my own husband that I would jump his bones in a heartbeat. Jesus I've been attracted to Welling for like 13 years. He's stunning. As was Dean Cain. As was Brandon Routh. As is Henry CAvill. The difference is that Cavill was given months to train exclusively for a body that he ONLY HAD TO MAINTAIN safely for the duration of shooting. IT was his full time job. He was paid to do it. There is a trainer literally following him around the world right now bc WB is paying for it. Cavill has a great deal of HELP achieving that body and he doesn't need to keep it for 10 years straight all the time. It wouldn't be healthy to do so. But all of these men are stunning. Any and all comments about their bodies are uncalled for and total crap. Also irrelevant as I don't ever think Lois Lane would be the kind of woman who would love Clark Kent less if his abs weren't rock solid.)

Last edited by Audrey; 10-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #931
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post

When I see pictures like this, I almost feel sad that I missed the 70's. I think I would have enjoyed rocking the disco look.

It's kind of amazing the way Amy seems to fit into almost any era. She has that way about her.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #932
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

As Audrey has already well worded it, it's kind of unfair and impossible to really compare the various interpretations that we've had of the Clark and Lois relationships because they weren't all brought up the same. Each version had a different history and background both as a couple and as individuals, so you can't really hold the same standards in some cases for every pairing.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #933
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
I liked the rescue scene in the cornfield. To me, it was their sparkiest scene in the movie. Pure wonder. It was a classic Superman/Lois moment. Lois is standing there totally in awe and breathless and Superman is beaming and calm and majestic. The actors had a real moment together there and I wish the film had given us more of it.

That said, I did really enjoy the kiss. It was a great kiss. There was just something about that moment in the cornfield that really got me.
I definitely see what you mean.

In regards to the latter rescue, I think it's definitely one of the most exhilarating/suspenseful rescues that I've seen for the two, especially when Superman is holding onto Lois while trying his best not to get sucked into the Phantom Zone.

The look of Concern on Lois's face for Superman while the determination that he had on his face, was well acted and performed.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #934
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I prefer the scene in the cornfield because it was earned and came in a proper context.

The second scene has the characters surrounded by death in every direction, and we get that horrible dialogue "they say it all goes downhill after the first kiss," "I'm pretty sure that only applies to humans". It is one of the most criticised scenes in the movie for a reason.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #935
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

One of the best clois scenes in the movie, ironically, did not have clark in it. It was lois first releasing her story to the blogger. .. "so that her mystery man would know she is after him", and then later covering up for Clark and telling perry that she had nothing.

I also liked the interrogation room scene, but snyder and goyer even managed to screw that up. Why do they cut her off when she's coming up with the name superman?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #936
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I prefer the scene in the cornfield because it was earned and came in a proper context.

The second scene has the characters surrounded by death in every direction, and we get that horrible dialogue "they say it all goes downhill after the first kiss," "I'm pretty sure that only applies to humans". It is one of the most criticised scenes in the movie for a reason.
It was in the heat of the moment; I don't see why it seems out of context considering that they both just survived from being sucked into the Phantom Zone..and I don't recall hearing people..at least not in the number that you're suggesting, having issues with that scene.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #937
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
As Audrey has already well worded it, it's kind of unfair and impossible to really compare the various interpretations that we've had of the Clark and Lois relationships because they weren't all brought up the same. Each version had a different history and background both as a couple and as individuals, so you can't really hold the same standards in some cases for every pairing.
Sorry, I dont share your cultural nihilism.

Aside from the LnC representation, I also liked what I saw in the DCAU features all star superman and superman vs the elite. I recently went through the 1100 page omnibus "death abd return of superman" and I thought that had a nice clois relationship.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #938
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Sorry, I dont share your cultural nihilism.

I'm starting to have a good idea on what the "DA" part of your username should stand for.

Clearly, you're someone who doesn't know on how to tell the difference when two people are just joking/bantering around. But whatever.

Last edited by herolee10; 10-04-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #939
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

DA is short for David. I had to shorten it a long time ago because the internet service I was using did not allow long screen names. "Champion" refers to a unit of infantry in the 1990s video game "age of empires 2".

As for your personal attack, you need to chill. I called your attitude cultural nihilism because you were arguing that judgments and comparisons are impossible. The description is not an insult, it fits, and you need a thicker skin.

You also once randomly accused me of having you on ignore. Again: chill.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #940
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
One of the best clois scenes in the movie, ironically, did not have clark in it. It was lois first releasing her story to the blogger. .. "so that her mystery man would know she is after him", and then later covering up for Clark and telling perry that she had nothing.

I also liked the interrogation room scene, but snyder and goyer even managed to screw that up. Why do they cut her off when she's coming up with the name superman?

My only guess would be they didn't want comparisons to Donner's film where Lois "names" Clark.

They prefered to have it come as a throw-away line from some unnamed extra.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #941
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
[/B]

My only guess would be they didn't want comparisons to Donner's film where Lois "names" Clark.

They prefered to have it come as a throw-away line from some unnamed extra.
That really ruins an otherwise great scene.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #942
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Your opinion. I don't know how many times this can be said. Frankly, I wish we didn't even have to have this conversation. For the life of me, I can't believe I had to come onto this board bc people were bashing Smallville on it. This board isn't supposed to be about Smallville and yet...here we are.

There are thousands of other people who would disagree with you. And their feelings are equally as valid. It is not some "fact" that this show was terrible and it's disheartening in ways I can't even express to come onto this board wanting to celebrate Man of STeel and see THIS crap over here.

I'm not some moron. I'm a 30 year old woman. I'm an intelligent woman. I know what I like and I recognize storytelling I do and don't like. I can articulate CLEARLY.

Smallville had good and bad episodes. It had good and bad seasons. The writing, in my opinion, was always a struggle but the actors often rose above the material. FOR ME, the final seasons were enjoyable bc they embraced a journey for Clark that spoke to me. I genuinely enjoyed the Lois/Clark relationship and consider it the high point of the series FOR ME. PLease respect that.

No, this isn't an issue bc I don't agree with you and never will.

I've acted professionally. I went to Undergrad for English and Theater. Not only do I think Tom Welling is a good actor but I think he's criminally underrated. I don't think people have any idea how truly difficult it was to play that character in all his stillness for 10 years. It is WAY WAY easier to be flamboyant or over the top in your acting. It's much, much harder to play a character who is quiet and still. I LIKE Tom.

The comparison to Dean Cain has no place here. The situations are not comparable. For starters, Dean Cain WAS more mature. He was playing Clark Kent as a 27 year old at the START of the series and his Clark was over 30 by the time the show ended. Lois throws Clark a 30's birthday party in the final season. Tom was playing Clark as a MUCH MUCH younger man and also a man who had been through a lot more tragedy. Dean Cain was playing a Superman who had never lost anyone close to him in a pre 9-11 world. It was a DIFFERENT situation. Either way, as an actor myself, I'm going to have to majorly disagree that Dean is more talented. I think both men are good and solid. Both are good at different things.

And frankly, I love "Lois and Clark"---let me be clear on that. I do. It was a show that meant a great deal to me growing up. I still love Teri and Dean. But as I've grown and matured and learned a bit more about the history of the Superman mythos and reasoned my own feelings feminism and cultural expectations there are certain things that BOTHER me about LnC.

"Lois and Clark" for better or worse put the burden on Lois Lane to "see" Clark Kent. And they did it in a narrative in which Clark was supposed to be the "Real" person. Now, I think you can debate that LnC oversimpified the identity issue as itw as more than clear that Superman was a real part of CK too on that show. But the reality is that that show set Lois up to be the one who was "blind." NOw, don't get me wrong---it WORKED on that show and it was beautiful. It worked.

But I genuinely loved that on Smallville the burden was not solely on Lois. She wasn't asked to "See" bc she was blind. Instead, the burden shifted to Clark to be true to himself and to take that leap of faith. Lois didn't have to "prove" that she loved Clark bc we knew that she did. For me, that felt like vindication for all those years where Lois got called stupid bc she didn't know the truth. It wasn't her job to figure it out. She did anyway...but it wasn't her burden. She did nothing wrong. It was about Clark having the guts to be true to himself and not live in fear. That was huge to me. NEver seemed in love with Lois? I don't know what show you were watching. That's all I can say. I do not see this the way you do. I do not agree with your opinion.

But here's the real kicker---I do not feel the need to degrade one of these actors or shows to put up the other. I think there were positives to celebrate about each show and about all the actors. I see good and bad things in both and I celebrate both.

All I know right now? Is that I want to post on this board. But every time I poke my head in here the last few weeks it's been nothing but a Smallville bash fest. And you know? That just really freaking sucks. That just ruins this entire experience. Bc I thought this was supposed to be a place for us to celebrate and share and debate as fans. But instead? It's this. I come to a board and all I find is constant bashing of something that actually does mean something to me---as if it's some kind of fact. I see untrue statements about the show stated as fact. I see people bashing Tom Welling's weight? (WTF??) What a total turn-off. I'm genuinely sorry you were so unhappy with the show. I truly am. But for some of us? It meant something to us. The Lois/Clark relationship on Smallville MEANT SOMETHING TO ME. As did LnC. So how about people try to be respectful of that and leave the hatred for it off of this board bc it's genuinely ruining the experience for me and making me not even want to visit here to talk about AMY and Man of STeel---what we are ACTUALLY supposed to be discussing. Thank you.

(**And seriously the bashing of Tom Welling's weight? Totally uncalled for. UNCALLED for. Also ridiculous. He's a stunningly gorgeous man. I'm a married woman and I have zero problem saying to my own husband that I would jump his bones in a heartbeat. Jesus I've been attracted to Welling for like 13 years. He's stunning. As was Dean Cain. As was Brandon Routh. As is Henry CAvill. The difference is that Cavill was given months to train exclusively for a body that he ONLY HAD TO MAINTAIN safely for the duration of shooting. IT was his full time job. He was paid to do it. There is a trainer literally following him around the world right now bc WB is paying for it. Cavill has a great deal of HELP achieving that body and he doesn't need to keep it for 10 years straight all the time. It wouldn't be healthy to do so. But all of these men are stunning. Any and all comments about their bodies are uncalled for and total crap. Also irrelevant as I don't ever think Lois Lane would be the kind of woman who would love Clark Kent less if his abs weren't rock solid.)
Audrey,

Please don't be so sensitive. Please, don't be so sensitive, you're actually bolding that some of us are ruining the entire experience for you, and I think that's crazy ! I'll explain why in one of the later paragraphs.

I'm not saying Smallville was all bad. I don't think it was all bad. I liked the first few seasons. The Chloe-Clark friendship was splendid. The early parts of the Clark-Lana romance were great too. Some of the freaks of the week were memorable, like the bug guy, like the eating disorder chick played by Amy Adams, and like Alicia Barker. The Clark-Lex friendship was interesting too, Lionel was cool, I liked seeing Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder guest staring. When Clark and Chloe had that conversation in episode 5x01 after Chloe saw the fortress, it was an amazing feeling. I even liked some of the stuff that came later, like the Chloe-Davis relationship (until they retconned it in the final episode), the phantom zone criminals arc in season 6, and the introduction to Kara Zor-El. There were some brilliant episodes, like the Buffy spoof in season 5.

I didn't like SV as much in the later seasons, and really I'm not the only one. It's not just "my opinion". The ratings dropped by ~75%, and the CW was slashing their budget left and right rather than investing in the show, which is why the sets became inferior. The show was not as culturally relevant in its later seasons. As I stated to you earlier, I totally lost interest, like, my interest spontaneously evaporated, when they mindraped Lois after the Pandora episode. For me that was the last straw. They had no business treating her like dirt.

I think what happened in the later seasons is that they ran out of ideas... and you know what, a lot of shows do? The 5th season of The Wire is considered its worst, and that's for the show many consider the greatest ever. Many say that season 7 of Buffy is its weakest season. The last season of Babylon 5 is a huge step down. Two (terrible) shows I've been following lately, Grey's Anatomy and True Blood, are both in a sharp long-term decline. The fact each of those shows is said by either myself, others, or both, to have declined in later seasons does not and should not take away from what went right in the earlier seasons. It's just really hard to do anything well for 10 years. Most marriages are not hot after 10 years. Myself, the longest I've ever held a job is 5 years, and I was bored by the end. Most shows don't last that long. When they do (Smallville, Grey's Anatomy, The Simpsons) their best days are usually behind them. That doesn't take away from what went right before. As boring as the Simpsons became, I will always fondly remember the monorail episode. As weak as Grey's Anatomy is now, I'll always love the arc of Meredith Grey taking care of her mother, and the painful goodbye when Ellis Grey passed away. Similarly with Smallville, as bad as it became down the line, I won't forgot how awesome the Clark-Chloe friendship was. Like really, how many times have you seen a male-female platonic friendship drive a show for that many years? I can't think of any other show, can you?

The above will always be great, regardless of what happened after.

With respect to you being "intelligent", and you clearly are from the high-quality writing of your posts ... I am too, I still like even lesser stuff sometimes, I have watched Alien vs Predator, Transformers, and Underworld many times. A friend of mine is pursuing a PhD in English literature and she is in love with the Twilight books and movies, she could go on and on for hours about the lovely lesbian subtext between Alice and Bella. That's totally fine. Another friend of mine, one of the brightest people I know, went to see Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones not once but twice in movie theatres. You can be smart and like low-brow stuff. You think food snobs never drink Coke? The fact Alien vs Predator is broadly recognised as a bad movie doesn't ruin the entire experience for me. I don't know if it "speaks to me", but I enjoy the monster fights.

We all love the character on this forum (obviously). I want to see great work done with it. I've seen great work done with the character, I listed some. However, that doesn't I consider every story great. I don't. And personally, I'm more interested in understanding why some stories work better than others, than in just celebrating the awesomeness of everything.

PS With respect to Tom Welling's weight, it was an issue with the show. It's been noted in various places that he was embarrassed to put on the suit because of how fat he had become in the final seasons, gaining all those lbs over the 10 seasons. He didn't wear a suit in the last season. That's ridiculous. We also had the spectacle in the last season of Tom always being covered, and Lois getting into a funny outfit every second episode. You do that once, twice, three times, it's fun, it's even kind of hot. You do that for well over a season, and the misogyny turns me off. Welling should have maintained his weight and fitness because playing Clark Kent was literally his only job. He was like a professional athlete, he's being paid a few million dollars a year, so staying in shape is expected. Personally I found it extremely unprofessional that he gained weight.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #943
Andreth
Side-Kick

Chloe-Clark drove the show for 10 years?
lmao

She was toxic for this show, they glorified her at the expense of everybody else, including Clark, who ended up looking like an idiot many times because of her.

Oh and wasn't this the Amy Adams thread? I think this is the smallville forum now

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #944
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

If you guys want to talk about Smallville please make a thread in the TV section. This thread is about Amy Adams portrayal of Lois Lane.

Thank you.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #945
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Everyone was toxic on the show especially Chloe and Lana.
I do not read people's essays thesis or dissertations on te Internet. You write your own personal monologue and I ignore most of it. What I will say is that if you have a right to your opinion than so do we. We don't cater to you or your experiences and if they are or aren't being ruined.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #946
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I know this is the Lois thread, but since Smallville came up, I liked the overall arc they had for Lex. It has yet to be topped in outside media.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #947
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

As for the above question, I enjoyed both. The first scene, you can tell sparks were flying between Adams and Cavill -- and a classic L/S scene.

But for some reason, I also like that second scene. Maybe it was that kiss...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #948
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Dat kiss doe.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #949
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

what's your opinion about amy not winning the 2012 oscar vs anne?

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.
MAN OF STEEL: THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE AND OUR 21st CENTURY SUPERMAN.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #950
Andreth
Side-Kick

Anne deserved it too, I think it's possible Amy will get another nomination next year, I hope she finally wins one!

so, and Henry and Amy are part of Empire Magazine's Sexiest Movie Stars of 2013:
Amy is #16 Henry is #3

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Closed Thread