The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #176
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

^ He'd probably bash them over the head with his suitcase. That'd be fun to watch

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #177
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

some martial arts... style of yanclo bandam... what do you think? I'd like to see smth similar...

"I worry because everyone seems to look up to me and it's making me a little uncomfortable. I can try but I can't solve every problem. I don't know if I can live up to this... myth they want me to be." Superman.
MAN OF STEEL: THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE AND OUR 21st CENTURY SUPERMAN.

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #178
Bren
Forevernoob

I want him to make fists and hit bad people with them.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #179
Marvin
Side-Kick

One batarang into someones hand as they go to push the wrong button/trigger.
Woefully underused in TDK trilogy. I mean, the street lamp, really?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #180
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudette View Post
I would enjoy seeing a scene where Bruce Wayne, in full business suit attire, is witnessed being jumped by a gang of thugs. And he has to get himself out of that jam in the full view of other people without using all the martial arts skills he was taught by the League of Shadows. In other words, watch Bruce disarm the thugs with one arm tied behind his back.

Nice ! as long as it wasn't played for complete comedy, could definitely
work. Bale did a few moves as Bruce during the Joker-party-crash scene,
but a more extended version of the same idea has a lot of merit, and might help make Batfleck more credible as the Dark Knight.

cheers.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #181
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
One batarang into someones hand as they go to push the wrong button/trigger.
Woefully underused in TDK trilogy. I mean, the street lamp, really?
YES! Totally spot on ! Why the F would he go to the trouble of
hand-grinding all those batarang/throwing-blades and then never
use them !

Shuriken aren't really deadly (unless you dipped them in poison) and then
might risk cutting and poisoning yourself, they're painful distractions
- so not much chance of Bats accidentally killing someone with him.
It's almost as if Nolan forgot about them (and I'm not one to criticise
Nolan.....all hail Nolan).

Miller's DKR threw batarangs like a boss, with that classic "thunk" sound.
Let's hope Snyder picks up on that.

You can see it, Batman's taken out about six thugs, striking from the shadows, one by one. The last thug runs, is trapped against a dead end,
looks around wide-eyed in terror then pulls out a .45, and starts shooting into the darkness. Suddenly, "thunk" a razor sharp batarang protrudes from the back of his hand and the pistol clatters to the ground.

Quick, get Snyder on the phone, he owes you a writing credit dude !

cheers.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #182
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ He did FINALLY use tranquilizer Batarangs in TDKR. But that's too little, too late. I want the Batarangs to be like Indy's whip in the first scene in Raiders

Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #183
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Just to clarify, you are right, if such a thing exists it's the sort of
technique Batman would have in his arsenal - I just wouldn't want to see it used, like "dim mak" in some cheesy kung fu flick. But maybe used sparingly it would look cool. So, I'm not criticising your post at all,
just stating my opinion that I don't want to see too much sillyness creep back into Batman's fighting.

As to the yahoo answers page, there are a lot of other good answers to the
question about nerve strikes like this......

As for myself, I'm not saying nerve strikes don't exist, and the body certainly has weak points (floating ribs, groin, throat, vagus nerve, eyes, temple the list goes on) I think you'd do much better poking someone in the eye than relying on a precision nerve strike that supposedly will render him unconscious.

The thing about those videos is that in all of them, the student being demonstrated on is completely cooperating. Try doing that to someone who's not cooperating, let alone someone who's jumped you from behind by surprise, or is twice your size and picked up a bar stool, or even someone your own size who is reasonably competent in fisticuffs, determined to beat you up and attacking you full out. You simply don't have time to use precision strikes 99% of the time in real life.
If any of those instructors can take on a live opponent (who's not a student) and take them out with a nerve strike in real life, then I'll be
more than prepared to accept the validity of nerve strikes.

The Aikidoka who mentioned Yonkyo, generally that works on me, but for some weird reason nikkyo doesn't work all that well on me. The same goes for nerve strikes, put your finger behind someone's jaw, just below the ear and push up - most people will squeal- I had a student who didn't react at all. I blacked out once by a sharp strike to my vagus nerve (although I was throwing a punch on a command, so the guy who struck me, knew what was coming -just like the students in the videos).

As far as critiques of the UFC, in a sense MMA fighters do target the body's weak points (with carotid chokes, and joint locks), but if precision nerve strikes were so effective, don't you think someone would be using them ?
The truth is that while a nerve-striker would be trying to set up "spleen-point-8" or some other fancy technique, they'd be getting knocked on their ass by a left hook, hobbled by a Thai kick to the thigh (no pun intended) or slammed to the ground with a double leg take-down.

While nerve strikes are fun idea, in real life simplicity is beauty.
Hell, forget the UFC, even in a street fight where things are going crazy
one of the best techniques is a head-butt. How many Krav maga practicioners rely on nerve strikes as part of their primary arsenal ?

Again, I'm not saying nerve strikes ain't possible, but you'd need to be
Batman to pull them off -which is fortunate that Batman only tries them in comic books and movies. Wait, Batman doesn't really exist ? Kidding !

Anyway, your post was cool, and Batman could definitely use joint-locks, chokes and maybe even a strike to a major nerve (eg the vagus nerve) or even a "karate chop" to the carotid artery, which actually does work (if you can land it). I could even go for a nerve strike, provided that Batman attacked someone from behind, or by surprise, or it was just one on one, with a far less competent opponent - but otherwise let's keep it real...well as real as Batman gets anyway.

Cheers.
All good.

Just know that before you make a "Double Penetration" joke, it's been done.

Also, please tell us how incompetent Snyder and Goyer are. Repeatedly. We didn't hear you the first 56 times.
D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #184
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ He did FINALLY use tranquilizer Batarangs in TDKR. But that's too little, too late. I want the Batarangs to be like Indy's whip in the first scene in Raiders

Too right ! definitely too little, too late!
(check out the HISHE youtube clip for TDKR, he really
should have zapped Bane with a couple and then....problem solved).

Nice Indiana Jones Analogy, that would be extremely cool. Thug pulls
gun and ....."thunk"

cheers.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #185
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Speaking of comic book accurate Batarangs...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You know, the more and more you research the real life counterparts of what Batman does in terms of fighting, training, and techniques, you almost gain a new sense of respect and wonder for the character.

I think it's because you slowly realize that all of these things can be done by a real person if they completely dedicated themselves to it 100%. That's really what makes Batman great.

Also, please tell us how incompetent Snyder and Goyer are. Repeatedly. We didn't hear you the first 56 times.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #186
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Speaking of comic book accurate Batarangs...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You know, the more and more you research the real life counterparts of what Batman does in terms of fighting, training, and techniques, you almost gain a new sense of respect and wonder for the character.

I think it's because you slowly realize that all of these things can be done by a real person if they completely dedicated themselves to it 100%. That's really what makes Batman great.

That's awesome ! Now I'll be pissed if Snyder doesn't use similar batarangs in the movie. They could bring that guy on as "batarang stunt coordinator."

Great post !.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #187
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Wow, that Seol guy's using returning 'rangs in a weapon-like manner. Don't tell the Australians that

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 10-05-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #188
Nathan

Man, seeing vids like that, I'm even more annoyed that the Movies never showed how skilled Batman actually is.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #189
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Quote:
That's awesome ! Now I'll be pissed if Snyder doesn't use similar batarangs in the movie. They could bring that guy on as "batarang stunt coordinator."

Great post !.
Thanks.

My favorite part by far is when he threw both of the 'rangs at once accurately. That's pure Batman right there.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #190
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

I forgot how bad the Batman writers are now:

'Tec used to be a flagship title, but has lines like these.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #191
Bonesrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post

I never used to miss an ish of Detective when I was in High School but now I don't remember the last time I read it. Probably around War Games. These days the only Batman I'm reading is the main title and what was Batman and Robin but is now Batman and Whoever.

Bonesrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #192
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks.

My favorite part by far is when he threw both of the 'rangs at once accurately. That's pure Batman right there.
Too right dude ! That is straight up Batman !

That's one of those moments where two thugs have drawn
their guns on Bats, and he takes them both out with 'rangs
, followed up with a "Who is this guy ?" as a thug stares
painfully at the blade protruding from his hand.
"I'm Batman."

Somebody get Snyder and Goyer on the Bat-phone.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #193
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesrot View Post
I never used to miss an ish of Detective when I was in High School but now I don't remember the last time I read it. Probably around War Games. These days the only Batman I'm reading is the main title and what was Batman and Robin but is now Batman and Whoever.
I don't know if you read it, but I'll have to recommend Batman Inc Vol .2 (provided you read the rest of the run) it was the last bright spark and farewell to all the great Batman stories.

It looks like we're headed back to the ******* characterisation of Batman that plagued the late 80's to early 00's.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #194
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Quote:
Too right dude ! That is straight up Batman !

That's one of those moments where two thugs have drawn
their guns on Bats, and he takes them both out with 'rangs
, followed up with a "Who is this guy ?" as a thug stares
painfully at the blade protruding from his hand.
"I'm Batman."

Somebody get Snyder and Goyer on the Bat-phone.
Preach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post

I half expected this after that line:

Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #195
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Preach!

LOL ! That's terrific ! The one actor who could never play Batman (unless they were re-making the 1960's show). Nice, very nice.

I suppose writers have trouble making Batman essentially dark, but still readable. Dark comedy can be very effective, but it's very hard to pull off.
Bad puns probably aren't quite going to cut it with today's audience.

Having both praised and slagged off Frank Miller in a different thread, I thought his Batman in DKR managed to get it just right (unlike his subsequent Batman iterations in TDKSA and ASBMAR, not sure if I used the right acronym there.)

Anyway, Batman in DKR was obsessive, tough and a little bit mean (at times) but also very human. Sadly, that all got lost in Miller's later work.

Anyway, back to the core business of this thread....Batman's ass-kicking prowess. What sort of other weapons should the Dark Knight be packing,
now that we've established that Batarangs are a must ?

Smoke /flash bombs (hopefully a bit less ineffectual than the thing he threw at Bane), for distraction perhaps - because Batman likes to get up-close and personal.

I approved of Batman's weaponry, under Nolan's direction (sticky-bomb launcher, forearm blades, and the grapple gun), but what are some more interesting ways for him to USE all those wonderful toys ?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #196
WallCrawler
Newbie First Class

this could be straight out of a neal adams comic, but I dont think we will see something like this.its too over the top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmt8-t0AcA
I think they will go with a more realistic style...something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIe06TAGaZM

WallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #197
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawler View Post
this could be straight out of a neal adams comic, but I dont think we will see something like this.its too over the top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmt8-t0AcA
I think they will go with a more realistic style...something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIe06TAGaZM
LOL ! Very nice, that second clip makes even the fight scenes
from the old Batman TV show look like the Raid:Redemption.

I agree with your Neal Adams reference. Once upon a time I had
a Neal Adams' Xmen issue, and a buddy of mine used to collect the
independent stuff Adams did (Megalith and Armour I think) for
Continuity comics. Have to say, his art did really leap off the page at
you.
I assume you're referring to Adams' work on Batman, which to be honest
I haven't seen a lot of, but I know enough about Adams' other work
to imagine it was pretty good.

Personally, I quite liked the recent Batman artwork/story around the
"City of Owls" storyline.

Thanks for the clips !

My favourite ever fight scene from any movie, is this one. True it isn't the bloodiest, or the most brutal, or the flashiest, but it has a mixture of
technique, viciousness and frenzy, that 's hard to beat. I liked the Raid,
but found it a bit stylized, even Snyder's work on Watchmen, was a bit
too stylistic for my taste. But this scene has two skilful combatants
squaring off in a frantic, no-holds barred fight to the death. My pick for
Batman's fighting style is.....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLt7lXDCHQ0 ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLt7lXDCHQ0 " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

.....this !

Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #198
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLt7lXDCHQ0

Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #199
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Th Eek Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

Quote:

...this !

Yes, it's very anti-climactic when you put a big explanation into a video
you want to post, and then stuff up the link.

It happens:

Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #200
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Preach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jji78uEW14

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote