Dollmaker 0 0%
Catwoman 1 0.42%
Other 12 5.02%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #426
Oswald
Side-Kick

Default Re: Next Batman Villain?

Riddler is a purely mental enemy, impossible to make a film full of action with him in the center if treated serious and respectfully.

Penguin is a similar case, if treated with seriousness and realism he is just a mob boss/corrupt businessman. His interest is his personality, not his paraphernalia, I see very difficult to shoot an spectacular blockbuster with him without killing umbrellas and flying robot-penguins (like in the end of Penguin: Pain and Prejudice, an evident commercial imposition).

Last edited by Oswald; 10-03-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: ortography
Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #427
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswald View Post
riddler is a purely mental enemy, impossible to make a film full of action with him in the center if treated serious and respectfully.

Penguin is a similar case, if treated with seriousness and realism he is just a mob boss/corrupt businessman. His interest is his personality, not his paraphernalia, i see very difficult to shoot an spectacular blockbuster with him without killer umbrellas and flying robot-penguins (like in the end of penguin: Pain and prejudice, an evident commercial imposition).
bs.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #428
Oswald
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
bs.
What?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #429
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
The Owls storyline is terrible. Like most of Snyder's Batman run in the New 52.
A lot of the comic storylines are for the most part, terrible, with some really great stuff in between the horrid stuff. If we get a shadowy organization, I'd rather it be the Court of Owls than the League again.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #430
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The first half of the Owls storyline is fantastic. The second half is a major disappointment. All that hype over the Court of Owls is reduced to nothing. The first half creates this really high intense "How will Batman manage to take this on?!?!" stake that is just thrown out the window in like one page.

If they want to adapt Court of Owls, they have to seriously do some major changes to the second half. A much more interesting idea is to have it be revealed that the Court of Owls was a false conspiracy Lincoln March/Thomas Wayne Jr. fabricated just to f*** with Batman's mind. That would have been infinitely better of an idea IMO.
Thing is, even with that was what happened in Court of Owls, it is still very uninspired, as that story only concluded 3 years earlier with the Black Glove, a massive organisation headed by Thomas Wayne hidden away by Thomas Wayne (Bruce's father) in Willowood Asylum and fabricating stories of the Wayne's which tarnished their reputation.

Beside a good mystery being built in the first half, it's generally a crap storyline that's a poor man's Black Glove and really poor man's League of Assassins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
A lot of the comic storylines are for the most part, terrible, with some really great stuff in between the horrid stuff. If we get a shadowy organization, I'd rather it be the Court of Owls than the League again.
The Black Glove would be a superior choice. But I'd rather no organisations as a threat for a while.

Last edited by Llama_Shepherd; 10-03-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #431
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

If they can pull "The Black Glove" with getting the audience to think that Bruce's father faked his death and question whether Thomas had Martha killed while also involving some villains like Killer Croc, Penguin, CLayface, etc then you could have an awesome mystery Batman film where you don't know who is telling the truth and who isn't. Batman himself could has a sort of psychological breakdown thinking what he knew all his life could be a lie. Add in some supporting characters like Alfred ("is he really Bruce's father" questioning), Tim Drake (trying to help sort things out being the great detective he is), Dick Grayson (providing his own form of emotional support), and maybe even Barbara and you'd have one epic film! The controversy of the questioning of Bruce's true father, is his father alive, etc (for those who don't know the comic origins) would get people talking for sure!

InnerWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #432
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
Riddler is a character so difficult to write in a serious (not necessarily realistic) way, I guess they won't use him in future movies, neither Penguin. I don't imagine Warner and DC adapting them to the serious treatment Nolan has imposed with his saga...
You are almost solely alone on this. And based on how General Zod was portrayed, i would say you are out of luck.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #433
Oswald
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCarlson View Post
You are almost solely alone on this. And based on how General Zod was portrayed, i would say you are out of luck.
What has in common General Zod with Riddler and Penguin?

Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #434
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's a world with Superman, General Zod, probably Wonder Woman and the Flash at least. Riddler and Penguin are easy. If they can do Joker, they can do Riddler/Penguin. It's not like we're talking about Man Bat or Mr Freeze. This IS a world that has super-powers after all.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #435
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

Lately, I've been leaning back towards Hugo Strange and his obsession with both Bruce Wayne and Batman due to several people feeling as though Batman himself is often "uninteresting" or not as appealing as the villains in his films. I think Hugo could kill two birds with one stone so to speak by not only having a sick obsession but also showing the audience that Batman isn't just a guy in a suit and high tech gadgets. This way his orgin can be touched on without spending much time on another retelling. An interpretation of the Wraith would be a great but unlikely choice as well.

I think that Dick Grayson's orgin story and his relationships with both Bruce Wayne and Batman would also keep the character development of Batman interesting. Besides Tony Zucco,the Penguin or Black Mask could easily
be incorporated as his employer and Killer Croc would fit perfectly given the circus aspect of Dick's story.

While not a full on villain, if the next movie is set in tune with the idea that Batman is a seasoned veteran, Jason Todd as the Red Hood with the Joker and Ra's Al Ghul in flashbacks is where I'm leaning towards today.

Romans 8:19

Last edited by Spider-Kurt!; 10-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #436
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Kurt! View Post
Lately, I've been leaning back towards Hugo Strange and his obsession with both Bruce Wayne and Batman due to several people feeling as though Batman himself is often "uninteresting" or not as appealing as the villains in his films. I think Hugo could kill two birds with one stone so to speak by not only having a sick obsession but also showing the audience that Batman isn't just a guy in a suit and high tech gadgets. This way his orgin can be touched on without spending much time on another retelling. An interpretation of the Wraith would be a great but unlikely choice as well.

I think that Dick Grayson's orgin story and his relationships with both Bruce Wayne and Batman would also keep the character development of Batman interesting. Besides Tony Zucco,the Penguin or Black Mask could easily
be incorporated as his employer and Killer Croc would fit perfectly given the circus aspect of Dick's story.

While not a full on villain, if the next movie is set in tune with the idea that Batman is a seasoned veteran, Jason Todd as the Red Hood with the Joker and Ra's Al Ghul in flashbacks is where I'm leaning towards today.
I think the audience is fully aware nowadays that he's more than that.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #437
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

Most of the audience does know this but recent comments from Matt Damon and Quinten Taurrintino namely, speak for a portion of the audience that doesn't. Either way,I don't want the next film to lose Batman as it's central character.

Romans 8:19
Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #438
shauner111
Side-Kick

Not really. 2 people don't speak for a large portion of an audience. Im sure batman will remain the central character otherwise Affleck probably wouldn't touch this role. Especially if he's directing the thing himself.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #439
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
What has in common General Zod with Riddler and Penguin?
General Zod is portrayed like superman as an alien race invading earth. Based on a character like that, you really think having a guy like riddler who is just a normal man obsessed with mental puzzles or Penguin which could easily be a mob boss or a guy with either mutation or disfiguration would be hard to do?

I would say thats a stretch.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #440
The Techno Bat
Side-Kick

I voted for Killer Croc in this thread, but the more I think of it, It would be awesome to have The Court of Owls featured in the next solo Batman film as well.

With the Court of Owls you could touch on Dick Grayson's past and slowly integrate Robin/Nightwing into the fold.

With The Court of Owls & Killer Croc the film could totally have a Horror/Mystery vibe to the storyline

I feel as though some of Batman's older villians have become a bit out dated and wouldn't really stand up in a film by themselves. A few examples would be The Riddler & The Penguin.

The Penguin is great as a small minor character to have. Bring in the Iceberg Lounge and have him in a cameo roll throughout the solo films, but as a major villain he just doesn't seem to be a major threat.

Last edited by The Techno Bat; 10-29-2013 at 09:50 PM.
The Techno Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #441
shauner111
Side-Kick

I disagree when you say that about Penguin. Riddler, I sort of understand, because im not really a fan unless the writing is really top notch or in the case of animation/live-action...if the actor is somebody I like. But Riddler has incredible money-making potential so don't think WB wont go for it even if he might be dated.

Penguin on the other hand might look like a character out of the 1940s, but all you have to do is read "Penguin: Pain and Prejudice" to see the story potential and play Arkham City to know that there's still an appetite for Oswald.

He works incredibly well as a side character, like you said. But I do think he can be an incredible threat to Batman or Gotham in an unpredictable way.

They can make him somewhat responsible for the Grayson murders. If not that, then the hits he pulls off as a mob boss can get so personal and sickening that it can be a great detective story for Batman without getting into the "mystery clue game" that is the Riddler. Which sometimes feels close to Joker. With Penguin, you can get into his backstory, do nightmarish sequences or scenes of him being delusional. Such as looking in the mirror and seeing a completely different person (physically the opposite of what he really is). All very interesting stuff. Make him be the definition of what Gotham's organized crime has become over the decade or so that Batman's existed. Which was the only other thing I wanted to see in Nolan's movies but now it can be more suitable.

There's great parallels between Wayne and Cobblepot too. So I prefer him in the next movie over Croc or the Owls.

Court of Owls? Im down for that don't get me wrong. But it may be too close to the League of Shadows which we've seen bookend the last series. Croc? We've seen the Lizard last year, we've seen Bane and even Penguin as a sewer dwelling "monster" to know that there's not much in the original category for Waylon Jones.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #442
Resistance61513
Side-Kick

Honestly, I'm surprised so many people are writing off The Riddler. The way I see it, The Riddler could be written in the same vein as Simon from Die Hard 3. Now that, that would be bad ass to see.

Having Batman solving all of these riddles around Gotham trying to figure out what the end game of the Riddler was. In my opinion, it'd be pretty awesome! And as for action, Die Hard showed that you can have plenty of action stem from riddles.

Resistance61513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #443
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Doh Re: Next Batman Villain?

Helen Flanagan as Dr. Harleen Quinzell

Helen Flanagan as Harley Quinn

And I'm very serious

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #444
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Helen Flanagan
This is possibly one of my most favorite Google Image discoveries. I can't remember the last time my mouth was left agape on first sight of a results page.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #445
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

I believe in Batfleck

Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #446
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Helen Flanagan as Dr. Harleen Quinzell

Helen Flanagan as Harley Quinn

And I'm very serious
Oha!
I approve!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #447
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Me as well

I believe in Batfleck

Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #448
Rorschach2012
$

Yeah visually she'd be great. Never seen her act tho

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #449
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah, I wont judge her until I see her act.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #450
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

Helen's only ever been in one thing since being a kid.

And the role was a dumb blonde, who you'd get a laugh out of.

I'm looking forward to seeing that film that the pictures show. Where she plays a girl who's snapped after seeing the man who abused her as a kid again.

I'll keep my judgement on her.

But reflecting, I'd honestly think she has Harley potential.

I believe in Batfleck