The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #401
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,481
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Eh,are we really gonna make a big deal out of the ME in BB,when in "reality" Bruce would be arrested the night of his meeting with Gordon alone?I mean,it's a police office he's ducking from.I doubt he'd have made it to the ground before getting shot.

If anything,I always thought the "Bat Backup" was a little lame.I thought it was ridiculous in Batman Returns for Batman to keep bats in his bat-boat for emergencies,but they had him summon them with a remote controlled device in BB too.

__________________
R.I.P Robin Williams 1951-2014

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #402
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Bane's lair, of cursssshh!
Posts: 15,516
Default Re: The "realism" thread

I liked the bats in BB and BR.

__________________
*Of curssssshhhh Kane would do my avy.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #403
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Eh,are we really gonna make a big deal out of the ME in BB,when in "reality" Bruce would be arrested the night of his meeting with Gordon alone?I mean,it's a police office he's ducking from.I doubt he'd have made it to the ground before getting shot.
This argument was just thrown, so I'll repeat my reply:

Bruce Wayne would have been killed, sure, but then again, Nolan used half of the movie just to make believable why he wasn't.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #404
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,481
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I liked the bats in BB and BR.
Maybe he keeps his bats in a compartment of the bat-boat right next to the cans of bat-shark repellent.

__________________
R.I.P Robin Williams 1951-2014

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #405
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Bane's lair, of cursssshh!
Posts: 15,516
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Maybe he keeps his bats in a compartment of the bat-boat right next to the cans of bat-shark repellent.
No silly, the Manta-Ray spray is next to the Shark Spray.

__________________
*Of curssssshhhh Kane would do my avy.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #406
sontin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 104
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Did you miss the lines where it's explained that it uses focused microwaves to vaporize water supplies.
And yet the whole water supply in the narrows gets vaporized by the machine while Ducard stand next to it...

I dont care what Nolan wrote as dialogues. The machine is not working as advertised.

But then i dont adore his Batman movies. So i see all the flaws in it.

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #407
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 38,775
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
No silly, the Manta-Ray spray is next to the Shark Spray.
it's right next to the Ocean Spray....no not a spray for the ocean but Robin's juice boxes

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #408
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,022
Default Re: The "realism" thread

It's not like Batman Begins was the first "grounded" Comic Book Film.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #409
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
It's not like Batman Begins was the first "grounded" Comic Book Film.
At least the first one trying that hard.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #410
Buddy
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: The "realism" thread

This isn't quite the right thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one. Those here seem to be real thinkers and I am serious about this issue. (Too new to start my own thread)

I love the idea of a superhero. Every kid dreams of being one. But not the way comic books and Hollywood write the stories. What I mean is that a kid dreams of super powers so he can teach the school bully a lesson, or save everyone from a catastrophe or something.

But in the stories there is always a villain with stronger powers that the hero has to battle. Why? A kid doesn't fantasize about having to fight someone else who is stronger than he is. He doesn't have to imagine that. That is what his life already is. He imagines being the all-powerful one.

To me these superhero stories are like those SciFi episodes (any genre) that have nothing to do with space, science, or anything like that. They are just some drama story that just happens to be happening in space or on some other planet. Today's superhero stories are just some good guy being beaten up by some bad guy a little stronger than he is, they just happen to be wearing tights. We already get that in real life (minus the tights and spectacular fight scenes). I want Superhero stories like every one of us dreamt of as a kid. Where a superhero is the most powerful by far, and does a whole lot of good with his powers. Real "feel-good" stories. Not these stress filled stories, that have a little bit of "feel-good" at the very end (maybe).

And if you say that the current superhero stories provide the lesson that the underdog can win, well that's a load of you know what. In the real world if you go up against a superior opponent you lose. So I say forget the life lessons. I want a break from reality and the daily stresses, I get enough of that. I want a superhero that easily kicks every bad guy's butt and always saves the day. (The life lesson could be to not let it go to his head.)

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Buddy


Last edited by Buddy; 11-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #411
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 953
Default Re: The "realism" thread

Time for my 10 cents (we don't have 2 cent or even 5 cent pieces down here).

First, let's establish that I loved MOS, my fave comic book movie of 2013, maybe ever ( The Dark Knight and Iron Man being right up there, but I've been
a Superman fan since day one, so MOS wins).

Now my bias is out of the way, we can continue.

Okay, I was really digging the "realism" thing with BB, and the Nolan DK trilogy.
I thought, Superman, how can they do that and fit in with the realism trend ?

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised (now in the natural progression of the Superman story, Krypton's destruction always comes first, but by doing so, Snyder sneakily gets us to suspend disbelief and buy into the premise).

Oh yeah, where was I ? Oh, I was surprised by how seamlessly the sci-fi elements of Superman fit within the mundane everyday world. It was those establishing shots, like the butterfly and the red wagon, when Clark returns to Smallville, and Cavill's performance (vastly underrated IMO), which gave the character a very grounded/earthy feel - he was just the guy next door....if the guy next door could literally move mountains.

I was in the group who thought the collateral damage in the film's climax was completely warranted. For those who didn't like it, it was like "You want a realistic Superman" (well as realistic as a flying alien can get) " but you don't want any casualties when he has super-powered fisticuffs ."

Can't have it both ways people.

If you think the end of MOS was carnage, check out MiracleMan 15, (an Alan Moore classic, from back in the late 80's). When the gods are angry, us mortals suffer.

Realistically, if creatures of godlike power had a scrap, downtown, then downtown would get ****ed up.
Personally, it worked for me, because the premise of the film was that Superman was just another guy ( a very good guy, in fact a great guy) but he wasn't infallible, in fact the Jesus imagery was effective, because Jesus too had moments of doubt.

Best of all, it was a bud-drinking-football-watching-helping-mom-with-the-dishes-wearing-old-jeans-doing-manual-labour-chest-hair-sporting-beard-growing-plato-reading-Superman. I loved Reeve, but this new Superman was a bit more down to earth, a bit more realistic (well as realistic as Superman can be).


Okay, that was an MOS rant, but I think it ties into the realism idea.

Tell you what though. What I hate is when a film establishes a premise, and then demolishes that premise, kind of breaks its own rules.

I've been fighting with plenty of IM 3 fans, that Tony Stark isn't stupid enough to pick a fight with a dangerous terrorist, invite the guy to come kill him at home, and then do nothing to prepare for it......unless maybe if he'd erased his own brain, like he did in the comics.

That to me, is not realistic. Sure I'll go for flying armour and nanotechnology, but when characters do unrealistic things, given their character, and it ain't explained in a believable way, then I get pissed off.

Like if Batman had pulled a glock out on Bane and busted a few caps in his bald-mumbling-ass, then I'd be like WTF ? Batarangs sure, run him over with the Batmobile, okay -but Batman doesn't use guns. It's not realistic or believable within the scope of the character. Fortunately, Nolan was smart enough to know this, which is why Catwoman puts out Bane's lights for good.

Now I know that's only peripheral to what this thread's about, but it raises the point that sometimes a film stretches the suspension of disbelief too far.

In that sense we might say "That character would never do that, it's not realistic."

So not realistic as in what's actually possible, but what's realistic in being consistent with an established character or premise.

I can hear the "yeah, but...." s already. But there you go, there's IMO.

Great thread, peace out !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.