The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
speno94
Side-Kick

Default Will Thor: TDW still have strong Shakespearean scenes in the film?

What I mean about this is that watching the first Thor film again, there are a lot of strong scenes that feel like your watching theatre or a Shakespeare play with powerful raw emotion such as Loki learning his true parentage (TELL MEEE!!) or Thor getting banished (YOU ARE AN OLD MAN AND A FOOL!!) which I think Kenneth Branagh really delivered on because of his knowledge of Shakespeare and his film Hamlet.

My only fear with Thor: TDW is that I hope there are still strong, powerful scenes like this in the second film because it looks like Alan Taylor is definitely delivering on elements such as the visuals and the action this time around that maybe Branagh wasn't quite as experienced with, but I don't know if Taylor and the writers are as experienced with the Shakespeare moments as Branagh was.

What do you think?

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Will Thor: TDW still have strong Shakespearean scenes in the film?

I think it's fine. There are certain things needed to be present in a desired Thor film. It really seems like this is going to be the Thor film we've been waiting for.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
What I mean about this is that watching the first Thor film again, there are a lot of strong scenes that feel like your watching theatre or a Shakespeare play with powerful raw emotion such as Loki learning his true parentage (TELL MEEE!!) or Thor getting banished (YOU ARE AN OLD MAN AND A FOOL!!) which I think Kenneth Branagh really delivered on because of his knowledge of Shakespeare and his film Hamlet.

My only fear with Thor: TDW is that I hope there are still strong, powerful scenes like this in the second film because it looks like Alan Taylor is definitely delivering on elements such as the visuals and the action this time around that maybe Branagh wasn't quite as experienced with, but I don't know if Taylor and the writers are as experienced with the Shakespeare moments as Branagh was.

What do you think?
The Thor scenes that you site were two of my favorites! I think The Dark World will be less theatrical than Thor, but I'm confident that there will be strong, if not Shakespearian, scenes, especially when Tom Hiddleston is involved. Have you seen the recently released Thor/Loki clip? The acting is marvelous--line delivery, body language, the works.

LadyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
The Thor scenes that you site were two of my favorites! I think The Dark World will be less theatrical than Thor, but I'm confident that there will be strong, if not Shakespearian, scenes, especially when Tom Hiddleston is involved. Have you seen the recently released Thor/Loki clip? The acting is marvelous--line delivery, body language, the works.
I agree with you completely! I do think the second film will be slightly less theatrical than the first film because of Branagh is not returning, but that is not a bad thing because with Alan Taylor we are getting more of the viking/medieval epic scope etc and better action scenes that Branagh might not have been experienced with as much as Taylor.

One thing I did like though about the sets of Thor 1, is that they felt theatrical, almost like theater play backdrops, maybe that's why Branagh wanted it to feel smaller scale? and not show a sense of community with Asgard? because he wanted it to feel like the audience where watching a Shakespeare play with the Asgard scenes?

And yes, I did see the Thor/Loki clip and I hope their will be much more scenes like that!

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

I sure hope so. Thor in its best form was always very Shakespearean. The whole dysfunctional royal family dynamic with the usual archetypes and stuff

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Godzilla2000
Humble Huntress

You know, if Thor: The Dark World will resemble any Shakespearian level of drama it will most likely resemble one of his darker, later works that he penned before his death like Titus Andronicus .

- I take growing my hair extremely long for charity VERY seriously. Think of the children!

STOP THE INSANITY!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Understanding me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
You know, if Thor: The Dark World will resemble any Shakespearian level of drama it will most likely resemble one of his darker, later works that he penned before his death like Titus Andronicus .
OMG lol that just reminded me of that futuristic Titus movie with Antony Hopkins and Alan Cumming the other Loki guy. :P
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Godzilla2000
Humble Huntress

Oh jeez...we all know which Loki would win easily in that battle. I mean really who has the more formidable ability to conjure up an army of fangirls?

- I take growing my hair extremely long for charity VERY seriously. Think of the children!

STOP THE INSANITY!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Understanding me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote