The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #976
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I really disagree, I think SV's LnC was the worst reveal, even less interesting than SV's Chloe and Clark in the season 5 premiere.

I won't list all the reasons, but, here's one: Lois was the very last person to learn who Clark was on SV. Lex, Lionel, Tess, Arthur, Justin, Cyborg, Bart, Lana, Chloe, Jimmy, Alicia, several government agencies, davis, major zod, et cetera, everybody knew before Lois. In contrast, on Lois and Clark (and Man of Steel), Lois finding out is something special, because she is a privileged and necessary confidante by virtue of being in a relatively exclusive group of people. There were never any awkward situations where everybody knew who Clark was except for Lois, like there were on Smallville.
Only on MOS can we calim Lois is the first to know.

In L&C a few people learn before Lois. Jason Trask, although he soon died. Mayson Drake also learns before Lois, but she learns it as she is dieing from a bomb attack. This is getting to be a theme.

Diana Stride and her cameraman Ralph, but they go to jail and Clark dispells her claims. Aymee Valdes, Diana Snachez, Dudley and Philip Manning, the "Smart Kids", but Clark half convinces them they are wrong. Jack, but he vanishes. The Kent's neighbor Wayne Irig also seems to know, at least it is very hard to work a plot where he does not know. Oh, and Wanda Mae Waldecker knows but she thinks she is Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, so no one would believe her. I can't remember if her brother who gets Superman's powers knows.

I would say Lois is the first Clark tells, but he wimps out and she figures out before he tells her.

Still Lois knows before Jimmy, who never finds out, and apparently before Perry and everyone else who works at the planet, since none of them apparently find out (except maybe Jack, but he vanishes after season 1).

Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #977
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I thought she did fine with what she was given, but I agree that she wasn't exactly what I would consider definitive, by any stretch.
I have to take the opposite view. With Adams we see Lois in the thick of things, saving Superman. With Kidder, we have her recite some love-sick poem.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #978
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Alright guys, no one cares about Smallville here.
It's the Amy Adams as Lois Lane thread, so it makes sense to have comparative studies to other interpretations, such as Lois and Clark, Smallville, the Donnerverse, and maybe the comics and the DCAU.

Would anybody else get a kick if they saw Amy Adams wear a white mini skirt with a magenta blazer with matching magenta high-heels?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #979
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Oh I'm definitely not happy that Lois was the last one to know. It was one of the many things that pissed me off about Smallville and how they treated Lois. The actual reveal is all I am talking about, that she discovers the truth from him kissing her was a throwback to LnC. Like u said it is irritating and infuriating that Lois was the last to know and everyone was in on the conspiracy to keep her in the dark; I might be too sensitive but if that was done to me I'd be pissed off.
Since LnC was more character-driven and less mythology-driven, they were able to bask in the glow of Lois finding out, and stretch the awesome for several episodes.

They had the fun episode immediately after when Lois and Clark went camping, and she asked him to not use his powers for the weekend, and a lot of fun scenes happened, like when he tried, clumsily, to light a campfire without using heat vision, and she said "this is what I imagined a camping trip with Clark Kent would be like".

There was also the part where Lois was afraid to meet Martha again afterwards, she got intimidated once it occurred what an amazing mother Martha must have been to raise such a special child. When she met Martha again, finally, Martha said to Lois "I've never been able to talk about Clark to another woman before", and then embraced her. It was a really heartwarming scene that would only be so heartwarming because of its context, one where not everybody knows about Clark, and on a version of the Superman mythos where characters like Lois and Martha are respected. In contrast, I don't see this happening in the MoSverse as each of Martha and Lois were undermined by the writing, and if they shined at all it's only because Diane Lane and Amy Adams gave more to the roles than they deserved.

Anywya, maybe you're right that Smallville's reveal on its own was better. I don't know... context really matters to me. By the time Smallville got to season 10, it had lost all magic to me, so I couldn't enjoy it. I've never been able to watch the series finale and follow everything.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #980
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Alright guys, no one cares about Smallville here.
That's not true. I happen to like Smallville, Erica Durance's interpretation as Lois Lane was quite enjoyable and added a new fresh spin to the character.

Amy did a good job, I'd like to see her character fleshed out more in the sequel.

Also looks like Lois is getting some much needed publicity with Superman75 anniversary. Lois Lane Anthology

For seventy-five years, Lois Lane has been one of the most iconic characters in comics. In celebration of her contributions to the DC Universe and life as a pop-culture icon, DC Comics is proud to present this new hardcover anthology collecting some of Lois Lane's greatest stories.

On Sale November 26, 2013.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #981
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
It's the Amy Adams as Lois Lane thread, so it makes sense to have comparative studies to other interpretations, such as Lois and Clark, Smallville, the Donnerverse, and maybe the comics and the DCAU.

Would anybody else get a kick if they saw Amy Adams wear a white mini skirt with a magenta blazer with matching magenta high-heels?

I'd be all for it.

But unfortunately,the double standard that exists for SH films/series wouldn't allow for it.It seems the generic "cat-suit" is the most sexy thing a woman can wear.The men,on the other hand must still have their obligatory shirtless scenes in every movie/episode.

We are T. H. E. M.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #982
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:

This is the best Lois Lane I have ever seen. The best attitude the best relationship with Superman the best look etc. it awful that this version has never come to live action. And indefinitely do not think Amy is the definitive Lois Lane; I have said this often that there was hardly anything Lois Lane about her, she was too soft in almost everything she did. They threw in one line when she first showed up to remind people this is Lois Lane but Amy delivered it with no spark or attitude. Amy is not my favorite Lois but there was nothing fan girl about her. Fan girl Lois' are Margot Kidder, Teri Harcher and even Erica with her dumb obsession with a distorted voice on a telephone.
Amy's Lois was researching who this mysterious man was and developed a connection with him over time. They came off more as friends who trust each other as equals, not as a woman drooling over a hott man who can fly.
My problem with Erica's Lois is I feel strongly the writers did not respect the character of Lois and having her float around doing mostly noting for seasons 4, 5, 6, and 7 really hurt the character.

@ John Lambert, the reason the LnC reveal isn't my favorite is the same reason as you. Superman and Clark have both touched her before but now all of a sudden it clicks. That is why I feel the Smallville reveal is better because the physical touch that revealed who he was never happened before unlike on the 90's show. First time The Blur kisses her she realizes its Clark. Now to be fair there was some questionable events in later episodes, like in S10 Ep1, Lois all of a sudden noticing the swooshing wind when Clark moves fast, really how many times has he done that and she never felt it?

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 10-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #983
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I'd be all for it.

But unfortunately,the double standard that exists for SH films/series wouldn't allow for it.It seems the generic "cat-suit" is the most sexy thing a woman can wear.The men,on the other hand must still have their obligatory shirtless scenes in every movie/episode.
Clark being shirtless after the oil rig is part of Zack Snyder's masculine chic look (like Leonidas in 300), and it also contrasts this Superman to those played by Brandon Routh or Tom Welling, who looked and behaved more like adolescent boys. It's a good scene for the movie, it gave it a more adult and thus more serious feel. It ties into the narrative, Henry Cavill doesn't just look like a man, he acts like one (unlike Routh X-raying his ex-girlfriend's apartment).

I don't think there's a sexiness double standard. Goyer/Snyder have a certain vision of Lois Lane, that of the career woman, personified by her ambition and her professional effectiveness. That explains all of the outfits we saw of her in the movie, it amplified that characterisation. All serious businesswomen outfits, with an absence of colour. The is the most colourful and least professional outfit she wore in the movie lol:

In addition to that, the white mini skirt and magenta blazer doesn't need to be racy. If it's anything close to the cartoon outfit, viewers will understand and appreciate the shoutout, they can make the skirt a little longer lol. It's also conceivable that neither Goyer nor Snyder ever watched the animated series, so this idea would never occur to them. I didn't see them lift many ideas out of STAS at all, whereas they clearly lifted from Birthright and from Earth One.

The sexiness double standard may be a secondary effect, in that it's hard to show women in their underwear on screen without looking like a tool, because so many shows and movies use skin as a substitute for good writing, for example Star Trek into Darkness, and that leaves a lot of viewers cynical. My view is: skin shots are perfectly fine, as long as they are tasteful and relevant to the story.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #984
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
And indefinitely do not think Amy is the definitive Lois Lane; I have said this often that there was hardly anything Lois Lane about her, she was too soft in almost everything she did. They threw in one line when she first showed up to remind people this is Lois Lane but Amy delivered it with no spark or attitude. Amy is not my favorite Lois but there was nothing fan girl about her. Fan girl Lois' are Margot Kidder, Teri Harcher and even Erica with her dumb obsession with a distorted voice on a telephone.
Amy's Lois was researching who this mysterious man was and developed a connection with him over time. They came off more as friends who trust each other as equals, not as a woman drooling over a hott man who can fly.
I think that Lois Lane established sexual interest in the movie when she explained to her work partner why she leaked the story to the blogger, she referred to him as "my mystery man".

I agree with you overall, but I think it's important to assign blame to the writing and not to Amy Adams. We should all know what Amy Adams is capable of doing when she's handling a competent script. Heck, she was even very convincing in Smallville season 1 as the meteor freak of dieting, in season 1 of The Office as Jim's love interest, and in Buffy season 6 as Tara's cousin.

She's not the definitive Lois, but she easily could be.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #985
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

I totally agree on how talented and versatile Amy is, she truely is that. I actually think despite her tremendous versatility however, Lois Lane just isn't in her particular skill-set. And I think all actors have one, because, y'know they are human too and no human being can pull off any character on-screen. Everyone has a skill-set and Amy's happens to be massive.

While I think the writing really let her down and didn't get the chance to explore her much (I actually feel we got to know Margot's Lois better than Amy's.) And yes, I do feel she tried hard and acted her socks off, I still think Lois just isn't exactly in her skill-set. If you're a Hollywood director, for instance, you have to know actors skill-sets, because if you have a particular chracter in mind, you want to know who can pull off that character. That's when you start looking at actors skill-sets. Of course it does often come down to audition though. I guess Amy just nailed her audition. I went into the movie with an open mind. But to me, she was playing a strong gutsy reporter woman and the love interest/ girlfriend of Superman, but she wasn't playing Lois Lane.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th

Last edited by WarriorDreamer; 10-13-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #986
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
I totally agree on how talented and versatile Amy is, she truely is that. I actually think despite her tremendous versatility however, Lois Lane just isn't in her particular skill-set. And I think all actors have one, because, y'know they are human too and no human being can pull off any character on-screen. Everyone has a skill-set and Amy's happens to be massive.

While I think the writing really let her down and didn't get the chance to explore her much (I actually feel we got to know Margot's Lois better than Amy's.) And yes, I do feel she tried hard and acted her socks off, I still think Lois just isn't exactly in her skill-set. If you're a Hollywood director, for instance, you have to know actors skill-sets, because if you have a particular chracter in mind, you want to know who can pull off that character. That's when you start looking at actors skill-sets. Of course it does often come down to audition though. I guess Amy just nailed her audition.
In what way is "Lois Lane not in her skillset"? That might be true, but given the writing, I submit that we can't possibly know.

I can't think of any other role involving Amy Adams that she hasn't nailed. She has 4 academy award nominations for best supporting actress in The Master, The Fighter, Doubt, and Junebug. She was also praised for Enchanted, and early reports are that she rocked in Her and in American Hustle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
I went into the movie with an open mind. But to me, she was playing a strong gutsy reporter woman and the love interest/ girlfriend of Superman, but she wasn't playing Lois Lane.
You mean she played her role as specified by the script?

Here's a query for you:
What personality imperfection does Lois Lane in MoS have?

Answer:
none.

That's how shallow the writing was.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-13-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #987
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I knew Lois wasn't going to be handled well by Amy when I heard she was cast. Lois is a tough city with an attitude problem who sometimes comes off as being hyper active. Amy played her almost as bland and boring as Kate Bosworth. The dick measuring line would have been classic coming from Teri or Dana.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #988
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I knew Lois wasn't going to be handled well by Amy when I heard she was cast. Lois is a tough city with an attitude problem who sometimes comes off as being hyper active.
She played a tough girl with an attitude problem just fine in The Fighter. Have you seen the movie? She's comes off as way tough when they walk out of the movie together, when she tells Dickey Eklund to **** off from her apartment window, and when she walks out on Mickey when he brings his family back into his training.

Quote:
The dick measuring line would have been classic coming from Teri or Dana.
Teri Hatcher did have nearly that exact line, do you remember it?

Episode 4x02
"Battleground Earth"
Kal El's being scattered all over the Milky Way! So shouldn't someone do something, and maybe you could measure your manhood... later?

Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-13-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #989
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Lmao! No I don't remember that line. Then again it was season 4 and that was such a bad season that a lot had to be forgotten. :goes off to watch LnC:

Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #990
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here's a query for you:

Answer:
none.

Yeah. Lois isn't perfect. Although I feel the script itself in a way tried to make her the perfect woman. Lois is very flawed and she is very human and accepting of that. Her strengths are how hard she works and how resouceful she is, but she can also laugh at herself, she isn't the kind of woman to take herself seriously and this film missed that.

I mean she is more likey to think it is all one big joke, until she realises that this man, Superman, is actually serious. And this suprises her, since she isn't used to men as sincere as that. I'm glad they missed out the secret/ love triangle, because that got on my nerves after a while. But I'm sad they missed out the aspect of Lois being too cynical to beleive in a flying man in a cape.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th

Last edited by WarriorDreamer; 10-13-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #991
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I definitely think Amy has the skillset to play Lois.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #992
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #993
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
I prefer the scene in the cornfield because it was earned and came in a proper context.

The second scene has the characters surrounded by death in every direction, and we get that horrible dialogue "they say it all goes downhill after the first kiss," "I'm pretty sure that only applies to humans". It is one of the most criticised scenes in the movie for a reason.
You're doing that thing again where you speak for other people. I'm going to ask you politely again to please stop doing that.

The kiss scene was so popular with that it had to come down to a re-count with the Twilight franchise at the Teen Choice Awards. Millions of people voted for it.

Not everyone criticized the scene nor had a problem with it. It was extremely popular among a very large group of people as evidenced by actual data. So please stop thinking it's ok for you to make blanket statements about the film.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #994
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

The kiss was pretty hot.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #995
Audrey
Side-Kick

The bashing of Smallville on this board has made it an insufferable, miserable, negative place. Take a look around and I think you'll have a good indicator of why there is still so much thoughtful, the man of Steel discussion is raging on twitter and on tumblr and it's a ghost town here.

You know, I spent years defending Erica Durance from these same kinds or stupid, ridiculous attacks. I do not come to THIS board to have to re-life it. For the love of God, STOP IT.

This board has become a freaking cesspool.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #996
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Considering some of the cheesy things I've heard people actually say in real life, I don't feel the line deserves as much criticism as some are giving it.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #997
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
Considering some of the cheesy things I've heard people actually say in real life, I don't feel the line deserves as much criticism as some are giving it.
The line was cheesy but I can accept it.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #998
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here's a query for you:

Answer:
none.

I am not a fan of David Goyer and I believe the script was the weakest link with the film. (NOT The actress. I continue to shake my head all of you "Experts" who think that Amy Adams doesn't have the "skill set" for Lois Lane. Give me a break. If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be in the back of my skull.)

But I think it's fairly clear she had some flaws.

Like every other version of Lois Lane, she walked into danger without thinking twice about it. She was brave to a fault. Following Clark deep into the mountain was a fairly stupid thing to do. But she's too curious and her curiosity got the best of her.

Letting a flash bulb off once she got into the cavern was also an impulsive thing to do but again, her ambition drove her and not common sense.

Following Clark across the world because she just could NOT LET IT GO is also a fairly standard Lois LAne personality tic. It's a tic that CAN bring good but can also get her into trouble. She was LUCKY that Clark turned out to be the guardian angel he was. What if he wasn't a good guy? She would have been in serious trouble? Again, her inability to let things go could have blown up in her face.

Volunteering to go on the ship? Again, it's her bravery making her put herself at risk to a fault.

Another flaw....cockiness. She thought she was going to be able to outrun the FBI. Who thinks they can outrun the FBI? Lois Lane. It's a character flaw. She's confidant to a fault.

Lois' bravery is a commendable, amazing thing. It's an iconic trait. She's fearless. But her ambition and impulsivity can also be flaws. That was clear as day to me in the film.

The writing in the film was not what it should have been but to imply that Lois had no flaws or personality tics that showed weakness is simply NOT true.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #999
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread