The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #51
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
It doesn't need saving NOW because Disney bought it and is actually doing something with it.
It didn't need saving ever. It was like Cthulhu; in a willingly chosen slumber, waiting to wake up. If Lucas' LFL had announced a new trilogy, with an indifferent director like Ratner or Leterrier directing, it would still have generated extremely strong buzz.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #52
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
It didn't need saving ever. It was like Cthulhu; in a willingly chosen slumber, waiting to wake up. If Lucas' LFL had announced a new trilogy, with an indifferent director like Ratner or Leterrier directing, it would still have generated extremely strong buzz.
If Rattner was directing, there would be an uproar, as his mutilation of X3 was noted by critics and the fan-public as well. I agree with your assessment, to an extent: if Lucas was not directing, there would still be a positive buzz, even if it was being made by Fox&Lucasfilm.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #53
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

SW is way bigger than Ratner. Fanboys (me among them) would cringe, the general audiences would only read "New Star Wars movie", like they're doing now.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #54
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

edit edit

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #55
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
The thing with those properties is, at least with Marvel and Pixar, the way they 'did wonders' with them was to... Basically leave them alone and let the people who were doing their jobs well to continue to do so. Fiege's still handling Marvel, and Kennedy will take a similar role in Star Wars. I don't know how much creative involvement the Disney people have...
What about with Muppets? that turned out great after Disney bought them.

Anyone very pleased that this has a better writer and a better director than Lucas? i mean Lucas got a bit lazy on the writing skills but in the hands of the Toy Story 3 writer it would be good. I am also pleased to hear this will tone down CGI but use a little bit of it but not abuse it but use practical effects and REAL locations for the film and be in the spirit of the old trilogy.

And by 2019 Fox's rights will surrender to Disney and we'll finally get the unscrewed with original trilogy on BD, restored and remastered. Sounds nice eh?

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #56
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
I didn't mention the Muppets because I don't know anything about it.

Quote:
Anyone very pleased that this has a better writer and a better director than Lucas? i mean Lucas got a bit lazy on the writing skills but in the hands of the Toy Story 3 writer it would be good. I am also pleased to hear this will tone down CGI but use a little bit of it but not abuse it but use practical effects and REAL locations for the film and be in the spirit of the old trilogy.

And by 2019 Fox's rights will surrender to Disney and we'll finally get the unscrewed with original trilogy on BD, restored and remastered. Sounds nice eh?
Everybody's very happy about all those things.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #57
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

And i forgot to mention Ghibli which was another wonder Disney did with

Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #58
Octoberist
point blank

The only problem with Disney owning the US distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's films is that they still haven't released 'Only Yesterday' in America. It's a beautifully done coming-of-age story that has some very slight sexual scenes. it's all done in a very innocent and real way, but I guess that's too 'adult' for Disney.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #59
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Touchstone should release Only Yesterday in America since they do hard PG-13 and R rated movies.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #60
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post

Fox will continue to own A New hope.

It was George Lucas who never wanted original versions to be on DVD.Blu-Ray.

Sorry peopl J.J. Abrams is not better than Lucas.The lucas hate is getting tiring. How can anyone claim to be a Star wars fan and hate guy who created It.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
georgec
Not a hero

Disney may not 'save' Star Wars but they're certainly going to keep it alive.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #62
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

What i mean is back to the quality of the OT is what i mean on 'save" and bring fans of the OT back.

Perhaps by 2020 Fox and Disney can join forces together for a boxset of the saga with both cuts included similar to how Paramount/Warner have a Friday The 13th boxset and Universal/MGM/Fox have a Chucky set.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #63
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Not too long ago both Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were at the 30% range of reviews, around last year something happened, because they suddenly rised the score to 50 and 60% respectivelly.

Now, i grew up with the prequels, Episode III is what got me into Star Wars, but the more i look back the more i see all the problems. And i think shows like The Clone Wars did a better job bridging the that period with the originals, and that the character were much better written and executed
Do I have a second account? This is basically how I feel, even down to ROTS introducing me to Star Wars.

I still think ROTS is a good movie, it just has some flaws that I can ignore *cough*romancescenes*cough*.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #64
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Let me use my Bond analogy. It's not perfect but it kinda works if it's not thought out too literally:

If the original trilogy was the Sean Connery era, then the Prequels are the Roger Moore era. And patiently we're waiting for Daniel Craig to bring new life to the series.

Now it's not a knock against Moore, because there's plenty of entertainment value in his movies. But even his best film (The Spy who Loved Me) was great, but great for a Moore Bond film. That's how I feel about Episode 3 as well. Good..for a prequel film.

And like like the prequels, Moore's films got hammy and lost some of the suaveness of the Connery films. Not to say that Connery's films were perfect either in his original run. You could say Thunderball and You Only Live Twice are his Return of the Jedis.

So the New Trilogy will be the Daniel Craig of Star Wars. While there was a stumble with Quantum of Solace, he and his films still represents a new kind of Bond that is able to respect the past...and move forward into the future. It's a nice mix and I hope the new Star Wars film will be like that..
The only problem I see with that analogy is that I think The Roger Moore Era is much more popular than The Prequels.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #65
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Do I have a second account? This is basically how I feel, even down to ROTS introducing me to Star Wars.

I still think ROTS is a good movie, it just has some flaws that I can ignore *cough*romancescenes*cough*.
The only Prequel film that really turned me off was AOTC.
It is the one Star Wars film that I only saw once in the theatre.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #66
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Phantom Menace wasn't completely horrible, just boring and ultimately pretty pointless to the Trilogy as a whole (you could have cut it out completely and it wouldn't have changed much). Sure, it suffered from the same problems as the rest of the PT (really bad dialogue, wooden/bland performances, some bad CGI, etc), but it wasn't nearly as bad as AOTC. The biggest problems with that movie were:
1. Jake Lloyd Anakin-Not only was his acting bad, but making Anakin a young kid was mistake, especially since AOTC takes place 10 years later (a lot of development is offscreen and Anakin's a completely different character).
2. Jar Jar-Enough said.
3. Darth Maul was a cool villain, but he was completely wasted. He should have been the Vader of the PT, appearing in all three films as a recurring secondary antagonist to Palpatine's mastermind. He was certainly more interesting than Dooku (although I love Christopher Lee) and Grevious.
4. The movie was pretty pointless to the rest of the PT.
5. Aside from the tree-way Lightsaber Duel and the Pod Race, the movie was just boring and Palpatine's plan makes no sense if you think about it for more than two seconds (this is true of the rest of the PT as well).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #67
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I wouldn't say it was completely pointless to the trilogy. So much of Anakin's character arc rested on his issues with attachments and his inability to let go of things, so I think him separated from his mother was important to see. And I think we needed to see Palpatine maneuver his way into being elected Supreme Chancellor before we got to the Clone Wars. If Episode I started with him already at the highest position of power in the galaxy and he's already executing his master plan I think we'd have been robbed of the chance to see him gradually turn The Republic into The Empire which is probably the best aspect of the PT. The PT is the story of Palpatine's rise as much as it's the story of Anakin's fall.

I kind of enjoy Episode I because for the most part, it's a reflection of a better time in the galaxy (which we needed to see in order to feel some sense of loss when The Empire is formed) but there's still a slight germ of evil lurking, hence the title I guess. It's kind of subversive in that way. For such a kid-friendly, overall light-hearted film...the bad guy actually wins and nobody knows it.

I too prefer TPM to AOTC, and in some ways ROTS.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-10-2013 at 11:13 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #68
Loki882
Side-Kick

I agree that Palpatine's rise to power should have been shown, but the execution was really bungled. Other than the Anakin thing, the rest of the film was pointless. You could have shown that aspect of Anakin's character without making him a kid (which was a mistake). He should have been around Luke's age, or Padme's age.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #69
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'm torn on the Anakin age thing. Of course it would've been great to truly see him as the great pilot Obi-Wan referred to and not have to deal with the annoying kiddie version of him or a 10 year time jump. But it does make sense to establish these deep-rooted issues with Anakin at a young age, it adds a layer of tragedy to his character.

To me though, TPM is more like a prologue to the saga. It does some world building and establishing and puts the first gears into motion for the larger plot to come. It's somewhat self-indulgent, but then again so is the entire prequel trilogy for even existing in the first place. The story worked just fine as Episodes IV-VI with a brief understanding of Vader's history.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #70
Octoberist
point blank

TPM is more like the POOP-Log than a prologue.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberist View Post
tpm is more like the poop-log than a prologue.
f***in' got 'im!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #72
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I'm torn on the Anakin age thing. Of course it would've been great to truly see him as the great pilot Obi-Wan referred to and not have to deal with the annoying kiddie version of him or a 10 year time jump. But it does make sense to establish these deep-rooted issues with Anakin at a young age, it adds a layer of tragedy to his character.

To me though, TPM is more like a prologue to the saga. It does some world building and establishing and puts the first gears into motion for the larger plot to come. It's somewhat self-indulgent, but then again so is the entire prequel trilogy for even existing in the first place. The story worked just fine as Episodes IV-VI with a brief understanding of Vader's history.
The issue is also that not only did the PT contradict previously established canon, but it was Lucas breaking HIS OWN canon. In ANH, Obi Wan says that Anakin was a good man, the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy, and a good friend. You can tell by the way he was talking and his facial expression that he was remembering the "good old days." In the PT, we got NONE OF THAT. We never got the sense that they were friends. Anakin treated Obi Wan like ****, and Obi Wan seemed more annoyed that anything else. There's a fundamental rule in storytelling, show don't tell. Lucan apparently doesn't understand that. Making him a little kid also ensured that we didn't even get to see the badass pilot side of Anakin. Ironically, TCW CGI TV show on Cartoon Network did a much better job of showing the friendship between Anakin and Obi Wan, Anakin's skills, and making Anakin likeable and tragic in general.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #73
Octoberist
point blank

Since this is Disney related:

Quote:
Star War Makeover of Tomorrowland Involves Relocations, Demolitions, and a Wookie Meet and Greet

The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim has a lot on it's plates right now. They are gearing up for Disneyland's 60th anniversary, planning a Car Land-like Monstropolis remodel of Disney California Adventure, and trying to integrate as much Star Wars into Tomorrowland at Disneyland as possible. We have already discussed the two tiered plan of attack with the Star Wars remodel, but now Mice Chat is reporting a few more juicy details that include; relocating the Astro Orbiter, removing Autopia, gutting Innoventions, and bringing the Millennium Falcon and her famous co-pilit Chewbacca to the "Happiest Place on Earth."

The Star Wars makeover is a bit more challenging than the Monstropolis facelift in that they will be doing their renovations in a highly trafficked area of the park. They will be moving the entrance to Space Mountain and transplanting the Astro Orbiter Rockets from the entrance of Tomorrowland to the top of the Space Mountain Concourse. The move will also involve a new and improved Starcade on the second level as well. The move, once completed, should make a big difference in alleviating traffic going into the land, as it is currently one of the most congested areas in the park.

Even more exciting are the park's plans to turn the current Rocket Jets spinner and People Mover platform into a Star Wars Spaceport, complete with the iconic Millennium Falcon perched in on top. The area will be re-purposed into an intricate walkthrough, complete with a meet and great with everyone's favorite Wookie Chewbacca. Next door the Tomorrowland Terrace will be transformed into the Mos Eisley Cantina, complete with a Tattooine theme and rowdy patrons.

The biggest change though may be to the back of the land. If rumors are to be believed, Autopia will be removed from Disneyland. The new area which would also see a shortened Monorail track would house the forest moon of Endor of Return of the Jedi fame. A walk through Ewok village is planned for the space, with themed dining and shops celebrating the rebels greatest victory over the tyrannical Empire with the help of the cuddly Ewoks. The marquee attraction of the Ewok Village will be the Speeder Bike thrill ride. It appeared that the original plan for the attraction was to utilize the Peaople Mover track already in place, but now it looks like Disneyland will gut the interior of the poorly attended Innoventions, and use that area as a loading area/pre-show staging area. The actual ride will take place within Innoventions and outside in the Ewok Village.

While I will be slightly sad to see Autopia go, or be heavily modified for the new attractions, they all sound like amazing additions to the park. I have always been jealous of the park in Orlando, with their Imperial Walkers and Endor area, but now we will make them envious of us.
http://www.anaheim.com/attractions/g...ref_map=%5B%5D

Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #74
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
TPM is more like the POOP-Log than a prologue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
f***in' got 'im!
Oh for goodness' sake, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The issue is also that not only did the PT contradict previously established canon, but it was Lucas breaking HIS OWN canon. In ANH, Obi Wan says that Anakin was a good man, the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy, and a good friend. You can tell by the way he was talking and his facial expression that he was remembering the "good old days." In the PT, we got NONE OF THAT. We never got the sense that they were friends. Anakin treated Obi Wan like ****, and Obi Wan seemed more annoyed that anything else. There's a fundamental rule in storytelling, show don't tell. Lucan apparently doesn't understand that. Making him a little kid also ensured that we didn't even get to see the badass pilot side of Anakin. Ironically, TCW CGI TV show on Cartoon Network did a much better job of showing the friendship between Anakin and Obi Wan, Anakin's skills, and making Anakin likeable and tragic in general.
I agree with you that we should've gotten to see more of what was shown in the Clone Wars show in the movies in terms of Anakin's character and his relationship with Obi-Wan. We only got hints of that in the movies which was a wasted opportunity.

That said, I think the idea was to make Anakin likeable and sympathetic by introducing him as this slave whiz-kid who's great at building stuff and is kind of a badass in his own right as a 9 year old. The problem wasn't that it was an inherently bad idea (despite altering our conceptions of the canon a bit), it's just unfortunately the execution wasn't there (Jake Lloyd's wooden performance in a movie that most people hated). You can have a kid be both likable/sweet and cool/badass- like Kevin in Home Alone. They just didn't quite pull it off. I think under better direction Lloyd could've done better though.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #75
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Holy crap. That Star Wars redesign of Tomorrowland sounds amazing. They need to do it at Disney World too so I can go.