The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
I am not a fan of David Goyer and I believe the script was the weakest link with the film. (NOT The actress. I continue to shake my head all of you "Experts" who think that Amy Adams doesn't have the "skill set" for Lois Lane. Give me a break. If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be in the back of my skull.)

But I think it's fairly clear she had some flaws.

Like every other version of Lois Lane, she walked into danger without thinking twice about it. She was brave to a fault. Following Clark deep into the mountain was a fairly stupid thing to do. But she's too curious and her curiosity got the best of her.

Letting a flash bulb off once she got into the cavern was also an impulsive thing to do but again, her ambition drove her and not common sense.

Following Clark across the world because she just could NOT LET IT GO is also a fairly standard Lois LAne personality tic. It's a tic that CAN bring good but can also get her into trouble. She was LUCKY that Clark turned out to be the guardian angel he was. What if he wasn't a good guy? She would have been in serious trouble? Again, her inability to let things go could have blown up in her face.

Volunteering to go on the ship? Again, it's her bravery making her put herself at risk to a fault.

Another flaw....cockiness. She thought she was going to be able to outrun the FBI. Who thinks they can outrun the FBI? Lois Lane. It's a character flaw. She's confidant to a fault.

Lois' bravery is a commendable, amazing thing. It's an iconic trait. She's fearless. But her ambition and impulsivity can also be flaws. That was clear as day to me in the film.

The writing in the film was not what it should have been but to imply that Lois had no flaws or personality tics that showed weakness is simply NOT true.
You make some good point. I think what others really are complaining at is "we did not get the standard back story and issues for Lois."

While I would have loved to see more of Lois, I am glad they saved it for later. I do hope they go more into what really makes her tick later on, but I don't think they should do it quite the way it was done in the past.

They need to have a Lois who works in a 2010s newsroom and is driven by issues of the 2010s, not the 1970s or 1990s. How exactly you do that I don't know, but I would prefer them thinking it out and giving us a new interpretation that has substance than to have had them rush it off in a first movie that was so much an origin story for Clark.

I am still optimistic enough to think we will get a fuller back-story for Lois.

Lois has been many things in different interpretations. LnC Lois was very different than S:TM Lois. For one thing she was not a smoker, and not quite as cynical. The interview scenes were also different, in part because Lois in LnC never gave Superman a definitive interview. That is probably good since he would have been unable to answer another question about Krypton when she first asked.

We got a short Lois and Clark interview, still they should do another where Lois can work with him for a fuller story to put out about Clark. I hope we do see some Lois helping Clark manufacture a disguise.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #52
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I agree with Audrey,

While Goyer's script was the weakest part of the film, I thought the cast, did a great job with their performances.

Amy completely sold me that she was "Lois" in the film, which is ironic because a few years again, I wouldn't have thought of her for the role.

I've heard many people, namely general audience members (and not comic book readers) who have said that Amy's Lois was the first time in their recent memory that they enjoyed the character of Lois on the big screen.
This is probably because SR had a Lois who made sense, more or less, to the 1970s (or maybe even more so the 1960s), but just did not resonate with viewers in the 2000s.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #53
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I really do hope that they allow Amy to finally say "Superman" in the next film. It'd be great to see some of that traditional scenes between Superman and Lois in the public, even though Lois knows that he's actually Clark of course.
Well, the scenes they had were ambiguous enough that most people did not realize that Lois knew before seeing the film. I did read one work of fan fiction from last December where the author thought that Lois might know based on the trailer scene of Lois and Superman are holding hands, but that person seems not very committed to that theory.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #54
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Didn't Noel Neill have red hair when she played Lois?
I believe so.

Quote:
Lois has also had red hair in older comics as well.
Not exactly. Colorists sometimes apply a reddish sheen on top of dark or black line shading when depicting brown haired characters, such as Scott Summers, Hercules, Hank McCoy, Peter Parker, Wanda Maximoff, and, of course, Lois Lane. It's very similar to what is done with Superman's blue-black hair.

See Hercules:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

So, how do you identify a true redhead in the comics (e.g., Jean Grey, Jimmy Olsen, MaryJane Watson)? For one, you can observe the amount of dark shading used. With genuine red haired characters, it's minimal. You can also look for the appearance of green eyes. Although, in the real world, eye color obviously varies among all types, comic book colorists generally adhere to stereotypical descriptions when it comes to fictional people. Aside from that, characters who are intended to be redheads have -- at least once -- been described as such within a narrative.

For years I was alone in the echoing dark of that well.
But something else defined the exact moment Batman was born.
The first truth of Batman...
The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

- The Return of Bruce Wayne #6
by Grant Morrison, Lee Garbett, and Pere Perez
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #55
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
There's really no need to call other people's thoughts ridiculous. Lois should have dark hair IMO, the iconic Lois has black hair but even if they wanted it red it should have been a darker red like Scarlett's in The Avengers.
I would have preferred a brunette Lois as well, but it's not a major issue. I'm more concerned with Goyer doing a better job with the characterization for the sequel.

For years I was alone in the echoing dark of that well.
But something else defined the exact moment Batman was born.
The first truth of Batman...
The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

- The Return of Bruce Wayne #6
by Grant Morrison, Lee Garbett, and Pere Perez
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was referring to all the people that I heard say things like "she 38, she's too old" or "she's 9 years older than Henry, that's creepy" or stupid stuff like that.
What some people need to realize is that actors are not the same as their characters. The extreme example of this is the film "Eastern Parade" where we have a love interest between a character played by Judy Garland and one played by Fred Astaire, but since Astaire filled in for Gene Kelly at the last moment we are not supposed to think we have such a huge age difference going on. Although Astaire and Garland were only 23 years apart, so maybe that is not an extreme example.

If example Melissa Sue Anderson was cast as Lois Lane this would maybe be a similar case (although she is actually 2 years closer in age to Cavill than Astaire was to Garland). But that is not at all what we have here.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a franchise, and MOS dealt with a specific situation that focused mostly on the Kryptonian characters. I'm quite certain that we'll see other facets of Lois's personality going forward. Also, I have a question for the Amy critics. Does she look too old to play Lois there? I think not.
Actually, probably the harder question is, is Cavill believable as Superman for the age they gave. I thought both worked, but in general actors are cast a few years younger than they are.

Of course, there is no right age for Lois. By age Kate Bosworth could have worked as Lois. If they were doing a Lois who is first meeting Superman near the start of her career. The set-up of SR called for an older Lois than Bosworth was believable as.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #58
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Was it even established how old she was in MOS?
No, not at all. But it was never established how old she was in S:TM either. It was in LnC, but they had 4 seasons, although we learned her age in the pilot, but only because her sister was there to say it.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Nope, but anyway, it's better for Lois to be in her 30s and mid-career, it makes it more believable that she is successful and at the top of her field than if she were 25.
Well, Sara Ganim who broke the Penn State sex scandal, won the Pulitzer prize at 24, so it is possible to win top journalistic awards as a 20-something reporter. If Lois is either tenacious enough or lucky enough, her getting the Superman break as a 20-something reporter is believable. The bigger issue may be is it believable that someone that age would be a top reporter at a major Metropolitan newspaper. That was where LnC seemed to go too far. It was not even that Lois and Clark were top reporters, but they seemed to be the lead reporters without question, but a lot of that has more to do with narrative efficiency than anything else.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Yes. Movie's have a bigger production, the top, highly paid writers are hired to write it. They play out epic stories. Actresses on television don't have that luxury, they have to deal with comedy, bad storylines and crap episodes a lot of the time. The writers are more low pay and there's no guarantee they are any good. In television the schedule is very difficult. They normally have to work 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week to bring out 45 minute episodes week-by-week. They aren't paid much. In movies actors and actresses take out months just to film something worth 2 hours. They are paid a gold mine. There are lots of reasons why actors/ actresses in films have it easier than in television. There are lots of reasons why actors/ actresses seem more epic in films, than they would in television. There are millions of dollars which goes into making them look good and seem exciting. In television there is a few thousand. In my opinion sometimes it's a case of actors who rise to what they have more than actors who were given lots to work with. You have to take that into consideration.

I think one season vs one movie is a somewhat fair comparison. What happens in movies is epic. What happens in television is not to epic, this makes television actors look bad. If not, when I said or one episode, if you don't think that is a fair comparison perhaps their first two episodes. So for Teri Hatcher, Pilot and Strange Visitor (From Another Planet) and for Erica, Crusade and Gone. Both total the time of the movies.

If you don't want to compare/ actors/ actresses that's fine, but it isn't ridiculous and if you are to compare them, you need to measure accurately, so that both actors have equal opportuny.
With LnC it was "Lois and Clark". Lois has top billing. She appears first. We don't have a half hour at the start where we see neither Lois nor Clark.

I am not going to say whether I though Hatcher or Adams did a better Lois Lane. That question is a mine field. The chracters were different, dealing with different things. True, they are both first saved by a Clark not in the suit, but in LnC Clark has a believable, at least by TV standards, excuse of why things worked. In MOS, Clark really either lets Lois die or reveals his power.

I wish they had given Adams more lines and hope they do so in the sequel, but Lois Lane not being a stronger character was not her fault. In fact, I think in some ways Goyer tried too hard. He seems to have said "if we have Lois shot something, she will be a strong character", ignoring that stronger characters are ones who develop. Still, I think she does that. She goes from being willing to expose anything at any cost, to accepting there is a higher good, and some stories are worth not telling. Perry is glad she learns this even.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #61
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
So what? Movie actors/ actresses don't get time to portray their character therefore they are exempt from any and all comparison? Crap logic. If you are given materiel you rise to whatever crap is given you with whatever time you have. I'm not saying Amy didn't, but I'm saying to state there is no way you can compare a movie Lois and a TV Lois is ridiculous. They are acting in a production, they are given time to play a story of Superman.
But LnC is not the story of Superman, it is the story of LOIS (and I guess Clark to, maybe he fits in there somewhere). OK, maybe even the pilot can't be seen that way. However we got more Lois talking to family members in the LnC pilot than in MOS. In MOS Clark opens his heart up to Lois, but Lois never really reciprocates. In the LnC pilot it is the other way around. Lois admits what really moves her as they are about to blow up, and Clark comforts her but does not admit anything back. Then in "Strange Visitor" you get Lois and Clark kissing.

Still, one is the story of Lois, the Daily Planet, Clark, and Superman comes in somewhere, while the other is the story of the origins of Superman and Krypton, with Lois definitely there and the Daily Planet even appearing.

I hope we get more Lois in BMvSM, and with MOS closing with Clark getting a job at the DP, I am confident we will.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #62
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrea View Post
That's because the costume, effects, and action scenes had a budget. He still wasn't nearly as fleshed out as Dean Cain's character. Also that's a show about Lois, Clark, and their relationship. This is a movie about Superman. The focus is very different.
It is also telling that the claim was not "Cavill was a better Clark Kent than Dean Cain". They actually start out a lot alike, except that Cain's Kent has managed to mix journalism with traveling the earth. He also was in place for a time as editor of the "Smallville Post", which based on what we see in "Tempus Fugitive" seems to be a daily paper. Actually, maybe it would be easiest to imagine that it is like the Hutchison News, a paper that won a Pulitzer in 1965. I wonder if "Smallville is Hutchison" could work all through for LnC. Even Perry not knowing where Smallville is but talking like he knows he should know would fit for Hutchison, which has just under 50,000 people.

Still, we learn in LnC that Clark Kent is a traveler. He seems to have spent it in higher circles than MOS's Clark Kent. MOS's Clark Kent worked on oil rigs and dated a diner worker. LnCs Clark Kent wrote articles on the knob-tailed gecko for a Indonesian (or Malaysian) paper while working in the Australian outback, ran stories on gunrunners coming out of Jamaica, and learned ballroom dancing from a Nigerian princess, and had scones at the London Savoy. He may have also spent time with the Yolungu Tribe in New Guinea. He also learned healing elixirs from medicine men (although that might just be a lie to cover his real healing of Lex with heat vision).

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #63
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lambert View Post
You make some good point. I think what others really are complaining at is "we did not get the standard back story and issues for Lois."

While I would have loved to see more of Lois, I am glad they saved it for later. I do hope they go more into what really makes her tick later on, but I don't think they should do it quite the way it was done in the past.

They need to have a Lois who works in a 2010s newsroom and is driven by issues of the 2010s, not the 1970s or 1990s. How exactly you do that I don't know, but I would prefer them thinking it out and giving us a new interpretation that has substance than to have had them rush it off in a first movie that was so much an origin story for Clark.

I am still optimistic enough to think we will get a fuller back-story for Lois.

Lois has been many things in different interpretations. LnC Lois was very different than S:TM Lois. For one thing she was not a smoker, and not quite as cynical. The interview scenes were also different, in part because Lois in LnC never gave Superman a definitive interview. That is probably good since he would have been unable to answer another question about Krypton when she first asked.

We got a short Lois and Clark interview, still they should do another where Lois can work with him for a fuller story to put out about Clark. I hope we do see some Lois helping Clark manufacture a disguise.
@Audrey
Agreed with almost all you've said.. the bravery from Lois is her trait
But some people don't see correctly how Goyer treated women in his movies weak.. but I think in MOS as examples from Faora, Lois Lane (imo this lois is the best so far and her plot was one of the strongest of them) I didn't need the backstory from Lois just the few things that we already know that she's a PP winning and his career is a success, I mean this movie was about Clark origins no? ... We can get a backstory when General Lane appears in the movie don't you think?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #64
Loki882
Side-Kick

We also are told that she was a military brat and can hold her alcohol quite well.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #65
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, let's look at the bright side. At least Snyder didn't treat Lois, or any other woman in MOS the same way that Michael Bay does with his female characters, where he focuses more on their exterior beauty than their own characters, let alone giving just random ass shots (literally.lol) that serve no purpose other than to please his own gratification.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #66
Loki882
Side-Kick

Snyder doesn't USUALLY do that anyway (lets try and forget Suckerpunch).

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #67
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I am far older than 15 and I still think Amy is too old. Showing pictures of her on the red carpet doesn't compare to how she looked in the movie especially the grave yard scene. But that is probably mostly just her looks not necessarily her age.
My problems with Lois being older is that Superman ages slow very slow or not at all after a certain time.
But I know that is a minority opinion exclusive to me.

Last edited by Szetsilya; 10-15-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #68
The Guard
Side-Kick

Fairly sure I actually saw Lois described as a "redhead" in the early 90's Superman comics. Not that it really matters. If, say, Christian Bale and most of the other Batman actors don't have to have black hair as Bruce Wayne, why should Amy Adams having red hair be an issue?

I'm still trying to figure out how the character of Lois Lane was somehow treated badly by MAN OF STEEL, especially as related to pretty much any other female character in a superhero film. "She wasn't enough like the cartoon!" isn't really an argument against the quality of the film's portrayal. She's a supporting character in the mythos and the film, and as such, she's not going to get a whole lot of development or a definite arc in pretty much any studio cinema environment. I thought she was a pretty strong character all things considered. Certainly a refreshing change from most "damsel" types. She's a lot more Pepper Potts than Mary Jane.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #69
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, the complaint that she was treated badly puzzles me as well. I kept thinking throughout the movie "why can't all female characters in superhero movies be treated this well."

Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #70
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I am far older than 15 and I still think Amy is too old. Showing pictures of her on the red carpet doesn't compare to how she looked in the movie especially the grave yard scene. But that is probably mostly just her looks not necessarily her age.
My problems with Lois being older is that Superman ages slow very slow or not at all after a certain time.
But I know that is a minority opinion exclusive to me.
Please stop, you just look silly.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #71
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I thought she looked great at the graveyard!

Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #72
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, the complaint that she was treated badly puzzles me as well. I kept thinking throughout the movie "why can't all female characters in superhero movies be treated this well."
I hardly think her treatment was revolutionary.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #73
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

As per my avvy, I believe in Amy!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #74
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I hardly think her treatment was revolutionary.
No, but definitely better than most female supporting characters in superhero/action films.

And if I'm right
Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #75
The Guard
Side-Kick

In the sequel, I'd like to see some kind of evolution of Lois' journalistic coverage of Superman. Something along the lines of having to be a responsible journalist and look at different angles of the superhero issue, not just being Superman's biggest fan. It would create some interesting conflict.

And if I'm right
Closed Thread