The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #51
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Default Re: Spider-Man:Flagship Character to Red Flag Character

Dan Slott knows how to write Spider-Man and MJ, he's doing fine with what he has, I say his is one of the best runs on Spidey
Last battle between Otto and Peter in Amazing Spider-Man is Amazing, and it had good build up

In movies Iron man is Marvel's flagship, it's one of the main reasons he's the front runner for LEGO Marvel. In every other media Spidey is better, and I am a huge fan of Iron Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Whenever I mention that I love Spider-Man the most, people react like I'm stuck in childhood. They also always refer to the Raimi movies when they say how corny and childish Spider-Man is. Because that's the only reference they have since they don't read the comics. It's also the same people that actually loved ASM. But even then, you almost feel embarrassed when you say that Spidey is your favourite.

Remember, I really like Raimi's first two films, but his films are ALWAYS brought up by friends as a negative picture of Spidey as un-cool, corny and cheesy.
When someone makes fun of me enjoying Spidey, I insist they shut it or I make fun of crap they highly enjoy
Then I removed everything Spidey (and comic books in general) from facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Let's hope ASM2 is so great that it will win the audience back and remind them why Spidey is one of the best (THE best if you ask me)
I agree

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #52
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Right now, my love of Spidey is coming from the films. I don't like what they are doing with the current comics that much and the new show sucks. I read old Spidey comics. So yeah, he isn't at the top of his game. Batman just finished an amazing trilogy, has a great video game franchise going on, the comics are great, and I'm sure the new show isn't as bad as USM. He's nearly at the top of his game.
The new Batman show is very good so far, worth watching

Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #53
JOE

It's on the air already? Any links to watch online?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

I don't watch them online, internet connection is annoying

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 08-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #55
JOE

I'd rather just watch them than download if you're referring to The Pirate Bay.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #56
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I am one of those people, I'm sorry but I really couldn't give two ****s about Miles. Once you take out the man that makes the hero, it makes it seem like the man is not important only the mask. The people who like it are the same people that complain when Batman doesn't appear for 30 minutes into TDKR or that Iron Man isn't in IM3 enough. It's not the suit or the mask, it's the person underneath.

Actually they aren't always. I've got that complaint about IM3 ( but if we actually got real Iron Man action when he was iron man I might feel different) I like the characters for the synthesis between them and their hero selves and often don't see them as separable.

I've never cared for Batman beyond because I felt I was watching in inferior poser. Never liked son of Tarzan either. The only legacy version I liked was wally West as the Flash. I liked that Barry Went out saving the multiverse and the way Wally tried to live up to his legacy but with more personality and I way preferred his original limitations and power level.. If I'd been sold or really invested in Barry it might not have worked for me though

I do watch Superhero movies for Superhero action though and expect it out of my superhero films.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #57
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Superman is still considered to be the flagship character of DC comics, and he hasn't had any true success in film since Superman II (1981), has had virtually no success in video games, and I'm pretty sure his current comic book run isn't anything amazing either.

Spider-Man has succeeded in comic books and has been highly successful in other media as well. So I don't see why he should lose his flagship character status at Marvel.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Superman is still considered to be the flagship character of DC comics, and he hasn't had any true success in film since Superman II (1981), has had virtually no success in video games, and I'm pretty sure his current comic book run isn't anything amazing either.

Spider-Man has succeeded in comic books and has been highly successful in other media as well. So I don't see why he should lose his flagship character status at Marvel.
wait. tell me again who said he wasnt a flagship character anymore? is it just like an opinion by somone or the person who wrote the article said that?

amazingly atiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #59
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingly atiba View Post
wait. tell me again who said he wasnt a flagship character anymore? is it just like an opinion by somone or the person who wrote the article said that?
Read the first post... its an article someone wrote on CBM about how they feel Spider-Man is becoming a red flag character.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #60
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

This is easily one of the most poorly researched articles I have ever read, so much wrong here's just the key bits:
1) Before the writer even took the time to consider writing this he missed one really important statistic, he has is the 2nd most commercials successful comic book character and is TASM2 makes something similar to the first then he will be No.1
2) "it took libertys like making Spidey have yellow eyes" guess he didn't think about what grounding Spidey would do to his costume.
3) "TASM was a major letdown" the writer failed at the most basic rule of journalism, don't make your opinion fact. TASM is in the top 10 CBM's on RT (User) and top critic.
4) "it was one of the most forgotten about movies of 2012" It was on the top 8 possibly 5 highest grossing films of 2012 which was the biggest box office year ever.

This article was just poorly written, he needs to go back to school.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #61
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

That's CBM in a nutshell. They're always wrong. And when they're right, it's for the wrong reasons.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #62
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Comic Book Movie is just an awful site

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #63
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I have to wonder do they say the same thing about us?
I have noticed some banned posters here are left to post on CBM - kinda like a prison for SuperHeroHype offenders. Maybe it's our Ravencroft

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #64
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Agreed. i used to go there for news and naturally look at the comments. It's a hive of scum and villainy whose words make my blood boil.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #65
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
It's a hive of scum and villainy whose words make my blood boil.
Well now I HAVE to go there and check this out, but only as a visitor!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #66
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Also I forgot to mention that Superior Spider-Man over the past year has been Marvel's best selling series (on average). So for this and the reasons above the author if the article is factually wrong.

There was too much opinion in there and very little statistics or facts.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #67
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
That's CBM in a nutshell. They're always wrong. And when they're right, it's for the wrong reasons.

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - ****
2. Spider-Man 2 - ****
3. The Amazing Spider-Man - ***
4. Spider-Man - ***
5. Spider-Man 3 - **
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #68
Spidey's Curse
!@#$*

Spideys the only superhero with a sushi roll named after him at my local Chinese food restaurant, so I'd say he's doing pretty well.

Spidey's Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #69
venom892
Got Lucky

While I think Spider-man will always be an icon, I feel they have messed around with the character quite a bit. Maybe it hasn't affected the character's popularity, but it has affected my enjoyment of the character. Here are just a few thoughts I have.

-As far as TV is concerned, Spectacular Spider-man was probably the best representation of Spider-man on the small screen ever. It was a shame that it was a victim of the Sony/Disney TV deal, but what they replaced it with is even worse. I've seen one episode of Ultimate Spider-man and that is enough for me.( I saw the episode "Venom" and that butchering was way too much for me.)

-Film wise I think Sony is on the right track. TAS wasn't the greatest CBM ever and I have a few gripes about it(Mostly the omission of Connors family, which in my mind is a huge aspect to the character.) But it was still enjoyable. I think it didn't get more attention because A. A lot people simply did not want to relwatch the origin and B. It was released right in the middle of two of the biggest comic book films of all time. I think if the film were released this year instead of last, it would have gotten a lot more attention. I think ASM2 looks good and will sway people back to Spidey's corner.

-I've seen a lot of people complain about Spider-man's video games lately. I haven't played one since Shattered Dimensions, which I enjoyed, but after the Arkham games, fans just think that Spidey deserves a AAA game, which I agree with. But I don't think Activision has that sort of faith in the franchise and will continue to release the games almost yearly to try and make a quick profit.

-As far as comics are concerned, I can't really comment. I jumped ship in 2007 when OMD happened and haven't read a spidey comic since.(except of course back isssue I buy.) That storyline was the end for me as having Peter or MJ basically make a deal with the devil was too out of character for me and was just plain disrespectful to the character. I've heard both good and bad things since, but I'm just not willing to jump back on.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #70
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
While I think Spider-man will always be an icon, I feel they have messed around with the character quite a bit. Maybe it hasn't affected the character's popularity, but it has affected my enjoyment of the character. Here are just a few thoughts I have.

-As far as TV is concerned, Spectacular Spider-man was probably the best representation of Spider-man on the small screen ever. It was a shame that it was a victim of the Sony/Disney TV deal, but what they replaced it with is even worse. I've seen one episode of Ultimate Spider-man and that is enough for me.( I saw the episode "Venom" and that butchering was way too much for me.)

-Film wise I think Sony is on the right track. TAS wasn't the greatest CBM ever and I have a few gripes about it(Mostly the omission of Connors family, which in my mind is a huge aspect to the character.) But it was still enjoyable. I think it didn't get more attention because A. A lot people simply did not want to relwatch the origin and B. It was released right in the middle of two of the biggest comic book films of all time. I think if the film were released this year instead of last, it would have gotten a lot more attention. I think ASM2 looks good and will sway people back to Spidey's corner.

-I've seen a lot of people complain about Spider-man's video games lately. I haven't played one since Shattered Dimensions, which I enjoyed, but after the Arkham games, fans just think that Spidey deserves a AAA game, which I agree with. But I don't think Activision has that sort of faith in the franchise and will continue to release the games almost yearly to try and make a quick profit.

-As far as comics are concerned, I can't really comment. I jumped ship in 2007 when OMD happened and haven't read a spidey comic since.(except of course back isssue I buy.) That storyline was the end for me as having Peter or MJ basically make a deal with the devil was too out of character for me and was just plain disrespectful to the character. I've heard both good and bad things since, but I'm just not willing to jump back on.
I agree with everthing here, very well said!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #71
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
As far as TV is concerned, Spectacular Spider-man was probably the best representation of Spider-man on the small screen ever. It was a shame that it was a victim of the Sony/Disney TV deal, but what they replaced it with is even worse. I've seen one episode of Ultimate Spider-man and that is enough for me.( I saw the episode "Venom" and that butchering was way too much for me.)
'Nuff said. I agree with everything here.

Quote:
Again, I agree. While ASM certainly had it's share of problems it was still a very good entry and they appear to be headed down the right path to bringing about some great Spidey films. Ones that will change his perception within the GA.

Quote:
If you haven't played any of the games after SD, you're not missing much. Arkham set the bar and Activision I fear, will never reach it. Besides Activison being the main issue, it's also a problem the next few games will be movie tie-ins. We need a strictly comic based game to make something AAA worthy, imo.

Quote:
It makes me wonder how many Spidey readers we lost because of OMD. Between critics and fan backlash it could make a case as one of the worst comics Marvel has ever released. Another thing about his recent comics...it's not even Peter anymore. They've killed him off in both Amazing and Ultimate.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #72
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Also Ultimate Spidey is the most popular cartoon on Disney XD

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #73
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Also Ultimate Spidey is the most popular cartoon on Disney XD
I guess in a crazy way, that makes sense. Like, when you can't get the blue sky meth that everyone this side of Albuquerque is raving about, you settle for the mushrooms growing out of the dog**** at the side of the road