The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #76
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
@Audrey
Agreed with almost all you've said.. the bravery from Lois is her trait
But some people don't see correctly how Goyer treated women in his movies weak.. but I think in MOS as examples from Faora, Lois Lane (imo this lois is the best so far and her plot was one of the strongest of them) I didn't need the backstory from Lois just the few things that we already know that she's a PP winning and his career is a success, I mean this movie was about Clark origins no? ... We can get a backstory when General Lane appears in the movie don't you think?
Lois Lane is not like Jane Foster or Betty Ross. She is a beloved pop culture icon in her own right and could probably carry her own tv series or movie. A lot of people want and expect to see her well developed. In particular, since Amy Adams is one of the greatest actress es if our time, as such this series is a great opportunity to break new ground, an opportunity that will be squandered if Goyer keeps focusing on weak science fiction and action rather than character development.

I don't want to be told that LL is a pullitzer prize wining reporter,, I want to see it.

As for this "being Clark's story", he was not well develop either. He showed less agency than jor el and he had very, very little dialogue.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #77
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, let's look at the bright side. At least Snyder didn't treat Lois, or any other woman in MOS the same way that Michael Bay does with his female characters, where he focuses more on their exterior beauty than their own characters, let alone giving just random ass shots (literally.lol) that serve no purpose other than to please his own gratification.
"Look on the bright side, Lois Lane had a better portrayal than the women in the transformers movies"

Be happy with whatever you can get !!!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #78
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Lois Lane is not like Jane Foster or Betty Ross. She is a beloved pop culture icon in her own right and could probably carry her own tv series or movie. A lot of people want and expect to see her well developed. In particular, since Amy Adams is one of the greatest actress es if our time, as such this series is a great opportunity to break new ground, an opportunity that will be squandered if Goyer keeps focusing on weak science fiction and action rather than character development.

I don't want to be told that LL is a pullitzer prize wining reporter,, I want to see it.

As for this "being Clark's story", he was not well develop either. He showed less agency than jor el and he had very, very little dialogue.

I have to agree with you on this, though I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, I felt like much was missing....and Amy's talent was wasted.

So, I then thought...well, we will see this fleshed out more in the 2nd movie, but now that it is taking on the character of Batman, I'm afraid that won't happen.

As far as "Clark's Story" I thought it was the better part of the movie, and his story was told THROUGH the other characters, which is probably why I felt that the character of Lois was lacking....

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #79
Loki882
Side-Kick

How exactly would you "see it?" Of course it's a Clark movie, it's a SUPERMAN origin movie. It was called MAN OF STEEL. They couldn't have made that any more clear. I completely disagree that Amy was wasted, in fact I don't understand that argument at all.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #80
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
In the sequel, I'd like to see some kind of evolution of Lois' journalistic coverage of Superman. Something along the lines of having to be a responsible journalist and look at different angles of the superhero issue, not just being Superman's biggest fan. It would create some interesting conflict.
That would be good. I hated how on Smallville Lois refused to see anyone else's pov and just blindly stick up for the faceless hero's. MOS Lois seems to be more of an adult who understands her job rather than just a blind fan girl.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #81
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
How exactly would you "see it?" Of course it's a Clark movie, it's a SUPERMAN origin movie. It was called MAN OF STEEL. They couldn't have made that any more clear. I completely disagree that Amy was wasted, in fact I don't understand that argument at all.
Yeah, I really don't get the argument that Amy was wasted or that Lois isn't given much to do. If I had any complaint about her, it's that they found a few too MANY ways to get her involved in scenes (boarding Zod's ship, flying along with Hardy at the end). But I didn't mind that because she was fantastic in the role. Amy finally gave us the smartest, toughest and most confident Lois we've seen yet... to me at least, she is the BEST Lois Lane we've had. Ever.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #82
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Watch out, Rowsdower. Smallville talk is coming your way. Blah blah blah!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #83
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
That would be good. I hated how on Smallville Lois refused to see anyone else's pov and just blindly stick up for the faceless hero's. MOS Lois seems to be more of an adult who understands her job rather than just a blind fan girl.

See, logically, I feel the need to respond to you because allowing this false information to linger on this board without being challenged feels wrong. On the contrary, by responding to you, I am now contributing to the conversation going further off-topic. Essentially, no one wins.

Your commentary about Erica Durance's Lois Lane, once again, makes absolutely no sense and is rooted in....nothing. This is factually incorrect.

Lois Lane was not a "blind fangirl" for superheroes on Smallville. On the contrary, when the Green Arrow appeared on the Scene in Season 6, Lois was one of his biggest critics because she believed he was stealing and didn't believe in his brand of justice. She eventually grew to believe that The Green Arrow's heart was in the right place (further complicated by the fact that it was Oliver Queen who was her boyfriend at the time) but her initial instinct was to challenge him publicly which she DID.

Her initial instinct with The Blur was also cyncism and skepticism. It was only after Clark had proven himself to her through his selfless heroism and after Lois had personally spoken to him and learned his intentions to help that she went out of her way to try and help him. Clark had to EARN her trust as the hero he was by being a savior to the people and it was part of earning Lois's trust and admiration that he found himself and started to believe in himself as the hero he was meant to be.

I'm also really irritated by this idea that it's such a bad thing for Lois Lane to have faith in Superman and to believe in him above all others.

One of the cornerstones of the Superman myth is that Lois Lane is often the FIRST AND ONE person who believes in the hope of Superman. She's the human who is able to stand up to the alien and say, "It's ok...everyone. He's not here to hurt us. He's here to help." That's a special, honored role. Many times, the cornerstone of the myth is that the WORLD falls in love with Sueprman bc they see him through Lois's eyes. This doesn't make her a "blind fangirl." That's a total and complete misread of the myth.

To mistake Lois Lane believing in Superman more than anyone else as a "weakness' is to completely confuse the point of this narrative. Superman is hope and Lois is the bridge to humanity for that hope. It's a role that sets her above many others because she tells others not to be afraid.

It goes back to Action Comics #1, "You needn't be afraid of me. I won't harm you."

Now, I would kindly ask AGAIN that you please refrain from making these blanket statements about Erica Durance when clearly are not necessary to the conversation and, more importantly, are not truthful or rooted in fact. If you want to continually misrepresent the canon of Smallville please do it somewhere else and stop doing it here.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #84
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am far older than 15 and I still think Amy is too old. Showing pictures of her on the red carpet doesn't compare to how she looked in the movie especially the grave yard scene. But that is probably mostly just her looks not necessarily her age.
My problems with Lois being older is that Superman ages slow very slow or not at all after a certain time.
But I know that is a minority opinion exclusive to me.
Sometimes Superman ages slower. Sometimes, like in the Golden Age Earth 2, he ages right alongside Lois.

Either way....why does it freaking matter? Are you honestly under the impression that Superman--of all people---would be so freaking shallow as to leave his wife because she got old? What a shallow, sad view of the entire mythos and of him as a man.

Why are you so consumed with physical appearance and beauty and age? It's genuinely sad to me. Do you truly not understand that none of these things matter when it comes to love and marriage?

I feel so sad for you that this is how you view love for women---totally rooted in their age and their physical beauty. Let's put aside the point that Amy is an extremely pretty woman. But even if she wasn't----why? Why would it matter? Why is this woman's worth contingent on her physical beauty in your eyes? Why do you choose to be so critical of something that ultimately just DOES NOT MATTER nor has any affect on who we are as human beings and how we love another person?

Is this how you expect people to treat you? Is this how you expect men to treat you in your life? It's just so sad.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #85
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Trying to figure out if you're complaining that you didn't actually get to see her win a Pulitzer, or if you honestly don't feel like the film showed her as a reporter, and showed the skills that won her that Pulitzer.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #86
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Ok....some disagree with you. So?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #87
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
@Audrey
Agreed with almost all you've said.. the bravery from Lois is her trait
But some people don't see correctly how Goyer treated women in his movies weak.. but I think in MOS as examples from Faora, Lois Lane (imo this lois is the best so far and her plot was one of the strongest of them) I didn't need the backstory from Lois just the few things that we already know that she's a PP winning and his career is a success, I mean this movie was about Clark origins no? ... We can get a backstory when General Lane appears in the movie don't you think?
If General Lane does appear, I am pretty sure we will get a backstory. I will only believe he exists when he appears though.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #88
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
We also are told that she was a military brat and can hold her alcohol quite well.
The later may have slipped into the story, but I don't think in the film itself they ever say Lois is a military brat. They mention her having been embedded in combat, but not that any family members are in the military. They may well be going with a military brat background, but they never mention it in the film.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #89
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
In the sequel, I'd like to see some kind of evolution of Lois' journalistic coverage of Superman. Something along the lines of having to be a responsible journalist and look at different angles of the superhero issue, not just being Superman's biggest fan. It would create some interesting conflict.
We could get a scene where Lois and Clark debate what they can and cannot publish from the interview they are having. I have to admit I know both characters so little so far, that I am not sure what sides each would take.

In LnC Lois would push to not reveal anything, and Clark would push to try and reassure people.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #90
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well, the next film will not really have much science fiction, so I am optimistic that we will get more development of Lois as a character.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #91
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I really don't get the argument that Amy was wasted or that Lois isn't given much to do. If I had any complaint about her, it's that they found a few too MANY ways to get her involved in scenes (boarding Zod's ship, flying along with Hardy at the end). But I didn't mind that because she was fantastic in the role. Amy finally gave us the smartest, toughest and most confident Lois we've seen yet... to me at least, she is the BEST Lois Lane we've had. Ever.
I think it is slightly more complex than that. In LnC for example, Lois on occasions would take down the bad guys all on her own, and she clearly out-thought and out-witted them when the plot called for it. In S:TAS we got a hard-as-nails Lois who was largely onto Lex's schemes even if she lacked hard evidence to fully bring hi down.

I like the way they took Lois in MOS, but she has always been a strong character who put up a fight. The LnC pilot I think captures it perfectly. Lois puts up a fight and basically subdues her attacker only to be attacked from behind and captured anyway. Lois gets saved because she gets in huge trouble, not because she is inacapable.

Although, I think it was good that in MOS Lois changed the atmosphere when Clark couldn't, and she gave him emotional support at the end when he was dealing with the trauma of having fought the battle. Lois may not have super powers, but there are things she can do for Clark that he can't do on his own.

I hope we get more of that mutual saving eachother in the next film.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #92
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Please stop, you just look silly.
It's always the same people who revert to insults when people don't think like them.

Audrey how many times do I have to tell u I do not read your manuscripts, I assume you are writing to hear yourself speak or to others who think exactly like you.
Lois was a blind fan girl towards the Blur in season 9 and all the hero's in s10. Anyone who even raised any doubts about their motives and actions was shut down and usually ignore by her. That is mostly the writers fault and their stupid anti government agenda they had.

As for Lois' aging I don't believe I ever said Superman's love for Lois depends on her looks, but knowin ur history in this board you have a tendency to assume other posters motives and ideas and what they are saying. I don't think Lois should be older or look older than Superman; if you want to call me shallow or say you feel sorry for me, I really don't give a crap.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 10-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #93
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's always the same people who revert to insults when people don't think like them.
No, not insults, just pointing out the truth. Stop insulting Amy Adams and I'll stop pointing out how ridiculous it is.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lambert View Post
I think it is slightly more complex than that. In LnC for example, Lois on occasions would take down the bad guys all on her own, and she clearly out-thought and out-witted them when the plot called for it. In S:TAS we got a hard-as-nails Lois who was largely onto Lex's schemes even if she lacked hard evidence to fully bring hi down.

I like the way they took Lois in MOS, but she has always been a strong character who put up a fight. The LnC pilot I think captures it perfectly. Lois puts up a fight and basically subdues her attacker only to be attacked from behind and captured anyway. Lois gets saved because she gets in huge trouble, not because she is inacapable.

Although, I think it was good that in MOS Lois changed the atmosphere when Clark couldn't, and she gave him emotional support at the end when he was dealing with the trauma of having fought the battle. Lois may not have super powers, but there are things she can do for Clark that he can't do on his own.

I hope we get more of that mutual saving eachother in the next film.
I get what you are saying I think. Did you want Lois in MOS to be like she was as well as physically standing up for herself and helping Superman more? I do remember Lois in LnC flipping somebody in a subway. In another episode she had to take kryptonite out his chest.
I can't recall similar situations in TAS but I might just be having a brain fart.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #95
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Lois was a blind fan girl towards the Blur in season 9 and all the hero's in s10. Anyone who even raised any doubts about their motives and actions was shut down and usually ignore by her. That is mostly the writers fault and their stupid anti government agenda they had.

Lois had established an friendship/connection with the Blur before then, so it's not hard to believe that she would be on his side during Season 9 and I didn't see it as Lois being a fan girl towards him.

It's actually very similar to how she worked and viewed Superman before knowing that Clark and him were one in the same in the comics.

Also, the reason why she supported a lot of the heroes (JLA/JSA) in Season 10 is because she knew all of them in real life and knew that Clark trusted them as well, so what was there to not support?

If anything, her encounter with Booster Gold showed that she doesn't immediately support a hero upon meeting them for the first time since she didn't trust Booster Gold at first due to not knowing what his real motives were, let alone on what he was like as a person.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #96
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I don't have a problem with her supporting them, I have a problem with her being a journalist who can't look at both sides of an issue. Instea of just brushing off those who had issues with what was going on she could have seen where they were coming from and recognized that the general public does not have a relationship with these people and any normal person would be wary if not downright fearful. Instead she just wanted people to shut up and not express any doubts or questions.
This will be my last post about this before those mods come in and start getting upset we are talking about Smallville.
If anyone wants to continue talking about this feel free to PM.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #97
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #98
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Crap, I keep forgetting about the warnings regarding Smallville and this thread.lol

Okay, going back to Amy Adams as Lois Lane......

I'm just hoping that we get to see her and Clark investigate something as Journalists in the next film.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #99
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
No, not insults, just pointing out the truth. Stop insulting Amy Adams and I'll stop pointing out how ridiculous it is.
The fact that you think someone not finding a person you find attractive an attractive person is automatically an insult and automatically deserves ridicule says more about you than me. God forbid someone doesn't think Cavill is beautiful or there will be serious problems; then again apparently some who think Henry has a receding hairline have been run off.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 10-17-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #100
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Assuming of course if it's alright to post these here as well, I hope we see more of this intimacy explored in this upcoming film.

Closed Thread