The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #726
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 2

Bane deserved to take off in pop culture more than he did, IMO.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #727
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 2

At least he got referenced in South Park and We're The Millers so that's something (I guess lol)...but I mean considering he was probably considered a C-list character going into the movie, it's cool that at least people know him now and he's known as the man who broke Batman's back not just to comic readers but the general audience too.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #728
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Agreed. He was such an awesome presence. Coming off the heels of Ledger's Joker I think Bane was a worthy villain. He was smart, calculated, strong, formidable, and charming. While Joker is Batman's eternal arch nemesis from a yin-yang standpoint, within the trilogy Bane is Batman's ultimate opponent.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #729
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
My goddaughters know the Bane voice. They just turned 2 (they're twins). Their father jokes around with them with a cup over his mouth, talking in the Bane voice.

But they also named their cats Harley and Quinn, so yeah, not exactly mainstream here.

To be fair, regular folks don't go around talking like Ledger's Joker either.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #730
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Howlett View Post

That top shot...Hardy always had this hip-hop swagger to him lol, love it.

Final shot at the bottom is amazing. Im so happy Nolan went the direction of Bane, somebody with such power and physical strength.

And my god those eyes. Haunting eyes.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #731
georgec
Not a hero

The lighting in those shots is incredible as well.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
Old 10-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #732
milost
Banned User

Brings me back to 2011 with that first release pic. That felt like just yesterday.

Though, it looks like Bane is hugging/breast feeding that guy in the third gif.

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #733
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

How is it that this documentary still hasn't been put online yet?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #734
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Just watched the documentary. I won't lie...I got misty eyed, and I know this will rub some people here the wrong way, and everyone has their own opinion about one or two of the films of the trilogy (or maybe the whole thing) but there isn't a single voice out there that can convince me otherwise that the TDK trilogy is one of the best film trilogies of all time, any perceived flaws and all...they all stand as one big beautiful tale in the pantheon of tales told displayed in three films made with a level of passion, respect (and most important of all) risk taking guts and courage that I seriously doubt we'll see for a long long time in the industry for a film of this size and scope.

When people a good 10 years older than me talk about "the trilogy" they are usually talking about star wars, sometimes people my age like to refer to their trilogy as "the lord of the rings" trilogy or they just go back to star wars as their shining example, as much as I love those films to death (especially if we count Indy) I really can't see any other trilogy carry the personal investment and the level of quality enjoyed by millions as my beloved Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm proud to have my own trilogy that i'll crankily act all elitist over in 20 or so years, and I'm very sure no other superhero franchise can imagine topping that.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #735
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

TDK Trilogy is actually my favorite trilogy of all time.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #736
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed. I wonder how differently it would've played out if Talia didn't steal his thunder at the end, and Bane had a proper send off. Such a damn cool character, but so underused.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #737
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
There was never going to be a villain that would take the public away like Ledger's Joker did, but Bane didn't have to and I felt as though he got a lot of respect. I honestly feel like Hardy's Bane was on par with the Joker for what he was, which in several ways was the exact opposite of a villain (for me the only thing missing from the character was a proper exit, though I get the arguments for that). It's also without a doubt the best version of Bane that's been done in any medium and as great as Ledger's Joker was I don't think you could make the same assertion with him.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #738
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Just watched the documentary. I won't lie...I got misty eyed, and I know this will rub some people here the wrong way, and everyone has their own opinion about one or two of the films of the trilogy (or maybe the whole thing) but there isn't a single voice out there that can convince me otherwise that the TDK trilogy is one of the best film trilogies of all time, any perceived flaws and all...they all stand as one big beautiful tale in the pantheon of tales told displayed in three films made with a level of passion, respect (and most important of all) risk taking guts and courage that I seriously doubt we'll see for a long long time in the industry for a film of this size and scope.

When people a good 10 years older than me talk about "the trilogy" they are usually talking about star wars, sometimes people my age like to refer to their trilogy as "the lord of the rings" trilogy or they just go back to star wars as their shining example, as much as I love those films to death (especially if we count Indy) I really can't see any other trilogy carry the personal investment and the level of quality enjoyed by millions as my beloved Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm proud to have my own trilogy that i'll crankily act all elitist over in 20 or so years, and I'm very sure no other superhero franchise can imagine topping that.
I this post. It's exactly how I feel. It's how things already are with my friends and I. When one of us mentions "the trilogy", we all know damn well what is being referred to. And we all have our nitpicks with each film, but it's very clear to me that we'll only more grow more reverent with time. It's a generational touchstone for sure.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #739
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Still haven't seen the documentary.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #740
Macrotus
Side-Kick

I know it's not popular to ask for links, but does anyone at least know if the bonus disc is floating around on the internet somewhere?

Macrotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #741
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I this post. It's exactly how I feel. It's how things already are with my friends and I. When one of us mentions "the trilogy", we all know damn well what is being referred to. And we all have our nitpicks with each film, but it's very clear to me that we'll only more grow more reverent with time. It's a generational touchstone for sure.
You're making it so hard to wait for Christmas to get this set.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #742
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:

I agree with and love your post.

At the same time, that bolded part makes me think about how people expressing themselves positively about TDKR or the trilogy in here have to apologize for and preface their opinions in anticipation of blowback.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #743
PWN3R
SHUSH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Still haven't seen the documentary.
Yeaaahh, umm, so there's a documentary?

I'm assuming it's part of that new package that came out? Is it a piece that covers all three films, or just Rises?

Damn, I had no idea...

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #744
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
TDK Trilogy is actually my favorite trilogy of all time.
ALL of this! Awesome post Sharkboy.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #745
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWN3R View Post
Yeaaahh, umm, so there's a documentary?

I'm assuming it's part of that new package that came out? Is it a piece that covers all three films, or just Rises?

Damn, I had no idea...
It covers the whole trilogy, really informative with behind the scenes stuff and screen tests of Bale, Cillian Murphy and Eion Bailey in the Val Kilmer sonar suit.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #746
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:

Agreed! I really need to watch TDKR again. Re-watching BB and TDK since getting the new boxset really made me nostalgic.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #747
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Name one comic book villain in the past 20 or so years that has "taken off in pop culture"...I mean on the level of guys like Dennis Hopper's Frank Booth, Hopkins' Lecter, Prowse and Earl Jone's Darth Vader, The Xenomorphs or the Predator or Arnies original T-800. You can only name Heath's Joker, and in the shadow of that I doubt no manner of screentime or lack of Talia would have aided that. If anything I think Hardy's Bane did pretty well for himself, his voice is pretty (in)famous, he's been parodied in various tv shows, it's relatively known and iconic compared to other modern superhero films.

Point being...I think the character has done well pop culture wise. It's actually Hathaway's Catwoman that I'd thought would have taken off a little more.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #748
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Name one comic book villain in the past 20 or so years that has "taken off in pop culture"...I mean on the level of guys like Dennis Hopper's Frank Booth, Hopkins' Lecter, Prowse and Earl Jone's Darth Vader, The Xenomorphs or the Predator or Arnies original T-800. You can only name Heath's Joker, and in the shadow of that I doubt no manner of screentime or lack of Talia would have aided that. If anything I think Hardy's Bane did pretty well for himself, his voice is pretty (in)famous, he's been parodied in various tv shows, it's relatively known and iconic compared to other modern superhero films.

Point being...I think the character has done well pop culture wise. It's actually Hathaway's Catwoman that I'd thought would have taken off a little more.
Really? Sans costume there isn't much that stands out that would make her instantly recognizable. Her performance is very nuanced compared to Ledger and Hardy's, and there is one fine line between sounding like Hathaway's Catwoman and sounding like a total ditz.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #749
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Really? Sans costume there isn't much that stands out that would make her instantly recognizable. Her performance is very nuanced compared to Ledger and Hardy's, and there is one fine line between sounding like Hathaway's Catwoman and sounding like a total ditz.
No I meant before i saw the movie, I was kind of expecting something far more showy and "memorable" and instead she dialed it back. It's good though...I loved the performance, she's my favourite selina kyle.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #750
kvz5
HBIC

This is kinda cool. Pics of Bale trolling around (to avoid leaking Wayne's "death") during the funeral scene in TDKR:

http://marco-bale.tumblr.com/post/66...d-bruce-waynes

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote