The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 10-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Revolutionary War

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: ALPHA #1
ANDY LANNING AND ALAN COWSILL (W) • RICH ELSON (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by TBD
Part 1 of “Revolutionary War”
• Marvel UK’s greatest heroes come together for the first time in 20 years to face a threat that could destroy the world.
• Featuring Captain Britain, Pete Wisdom, Death’s Head II, Motormouth and Killpower, the Warheads and a host of British heroes.
32 PGS./ ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$3.99

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: DARK ANGEL #1
KIERON GILLEN (W) • DIETRICH SMITH (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by Salvador Larroca
Part 2 of “Revolutionary War”
• When Shevaun Haldane experiences a troubling vision in Darkmoor Castle, she realizes danger may be coming for the heroes of Marvel UK.
• With time running out, Shevaun has no choice but to suit up as Dark Angel once again.
• An adventure that will take fans through the past, present, and future of Marvel UK!

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: KNIGHTS OF PENDRAGON #1
ROB WILLIAMS (W) • SIMON COLEBY (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by TBD
Part 3 of “Revolutionary War”
• A corporate deep-mining setup unearths an old MYS-TECH base, where magical cloning experiments have been taking place.
• What mysteries or monsters are waiting in Britain’s subterranean bones?
• Featuring fan-favorite Marvel UK characters Dai Thomas, Pete Wisdom, and Union Jack!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Default Re: Revolutionary War

I will be buying all of these! Loved the Marvel UK stuff back in the day mainly the original stuff like the first 18 issue Knights of Pendragon and the real Death's Head (minion not so much) even the later stuff like Digitek, Warheads, Motormouth and Dark Angel was fun. Good to see Dai Thomas and Gawain are there too hopefully we will have a Green vs Red Knight rematch!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

This looks awesome

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I love this but don't know if I have enough money to support it

But man, I hope Death's Head II gets more page time somewhere.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post

If I remember correctly, he'll be getting his own one shot during this as well.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah, but if it's dependent upon the rest of the story then there's no point in just picking that one up. But we'll see how finances are when this comes out. I wouldn't mind giving it a read, though I might have to trade wait.

I mean, a story with Captain Britain and Death's Head II? I'd love to read that.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

I will definitely be checking this out. I only read a handful of Marvel UK comics, which I got from my uncle, who was a Marine stationed overseas. But I enjoyed those few and some of the characters stuck with me, like Death's Head, Motormouth, and a few others. Glad to see they'll be back for at least a little while.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Tropico
Crusty, ol' curmudgeon.

This looks promising. Even though they weren't part of it I would have loved to see some of Clan Destine in the mix.

Dr. Strange: Why would you sleep with a woman who looks like DR. DOOM!
Iron Man: Moving on...
Tropico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post

Support it man, it needs your money. It's getting mine!

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: DEATH'S HEAD II #1
ANDY LANNING & ALAN COWSILL (W) • NICK ROCHE (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by Liam Sharp
Part 4 of "Revolutionary War"
• The long-awaited return of DEATH'S HEAD -- one of the biggest hits of the original Marvel UK!
• Death's Head! Death's Head II! On an adventure together for the first time EVER!
• What threat could be grave enough to bring these two heroes together from across time? How about the villainous Mys-Tech organization resurfacing with an army?!
32 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ ...$3.99

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: SUPERSOLDIERS #1
ROB WILLIAMS (W) • BRENT ANDERSON (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by TBD
Part 5 of "Revolutionary War"
• Some of the most popular heroes of Marvel UK return for SUPERSOLDIERS – and where the Supersoldiers go, trouble isn't far behind!
• It's the Supersoldiers versus Mys-Tech in all-out war!
• When a vast army of Mys-Tech Psycho Wraiths come calling on a small Scottish town, it's up to the Supersoldiers to put them down for good!
32 PGS./ ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
The Englishman
Marching On Together

I can't wait for this!

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

It’s been twenty years since Marvel’s UK heroes have been active as a group, and fans often wonder what happened to those heroes; but comics writers have been thinking about what those villains might have been up to might be even more intriguing. The shadowy multi-national corporation MYS-TECH, once the overarching villain of the 1980s and 1990s Marvel UK line, has been busy in its time away and it’s up to the Marvel UK heroes to reunite in an effort to stop this Faustian group.

This all takes place in the 2014 event series Revolutionary War, which shows Captain Britain and Pete Wisdom leading the charge with a group of heroes including Death’s Head (Yes, both of them), the Warheads, Dark Angel, Motormouth, Knights of the Pendragon and the Super Soldiers to fight off their storied foe. Earlier Newsarama spoke with writers Andy Lanning and Alan Cowsillwho are the overall writers of the event series, and now we turn to UK writer Rob Williams (Cla$$war, Ghost Rider) to talk about the two one-shot he’s writing for the effort, January’s Revolutionary War: Knights of Pendragon with artist Brent Anderson and February’s Revolutionary War: Super Soldiers with artist Simon Coleby.

The Knights of Pendragon are a storied team in UK comics lore, borne out of the King Arthur tales and environmental ideals being one of the most forward-thinking superhero books of the time. The Super Soldiers were products of the British equivalent of the United States’ Super Soldier program, and were a special forces team bathed in the style of early 1990s superhero comics. Williams spoke with us about both teams, and how their stories fit into the larger narrative of Revolutionary War.

Newsarama: Rob, what can you tell us about your involvement with Revolutionary War and how you joined the project?

Rob Williams: I’ve worked with editor Steve Wacker at Marvel a few times now. He initially asked me if I wanted to write the Revolutionary War: Super Soldiers oneshot, then asked if I wanted to do the Knights of Pendragon too. I grew up loving Captain Britain and a lot of the Marvel UK-based characters, and did a Union Jack story for Steve a while back, which was fun. I was excited to be part of it.

Nrama: A lot to talk about, so let’s start with the Revolutionary War: Knights of Pendragon one-shot. What’s it about?

Williams: Well Knights… in its original incarnation, was this kind of Vertigo-ish non-capes eco-themed book. Then later it morphed into a more spandex superteam kind of deal. I thought we should take it back to its roots. The cast is largely the originals – Dai Thomas, Kate McClellan, Gawain the Knight, Albion, Union Jack. We’ve added Pete Wisdom too, which fits. I’ve written Wisdom before and he’s great fun to write. The underlying storyline with all these books is that MYS-TECH, the old Marvel UK bad guys, are back, and lots of underground bases are being unearthed. This brings the Knights back together, and Pete and Union Jack head for Avalon, the mystical realm, to try and recruit Albion. But Avalon is a magical mirror of Britain, and austerity cuts have had an effect. Meanwhile, Dai and Kate are breaking into a fracking mining operation, where something evil that goes to the heart of the perception of Britain is waking up. There’s lots of battles, an ending no-one will predict, I think, and a fair amount of overt subtext about the image of Britain and what Britain really is today. I had a blast writing it.

Nrama: I fondly remember Knights of Pendragon, but the team seemed to be very different from its first and second volumes. How would you describe your team in this?

Williams: Yeah, re-reading them, I thought the initial volume was far more successful. There was something unique about that. The second volume they were another costumed super team that just happened to be British. I thought we’d be best served going back to the original. And eco-themes are big news these days. The fact that the bad guys in our Knights issue are fronted by an energy company is pretty prescient.

Nrama: You mention MYS-TECH being back, and it seems they’re shaping up to be the big bad of Revolutionary War. What’s your take on them in this?

Williams: I don’t want to give away too much here, as MYS-TECH’s involvement (and doesn’t it seem more evil when you upper caps it?) is really the spine of the story, running through Andy Lanning, Alan Cowsill and Richard Elson’s Revolutionary War: Alpha and Revolutionary War: Omega issues and all our one shots. But there was a lot of underground MYS-TECH bases left around Britain when they were defeated during the original Marvel UK days. Only some of them were discovered. And there’s some nasty things inside. And maybe leaving them there was all part of a larger plan…

Nrama: In addition to previous Knights of the Pendragon members, you mentioned that Excalibur alum Pete Wisdom has joined the group. Can you tell us about his involvement?

Williams: Wisdom’s kind of our tether between the books. He’s working for MI:13, as established in Paul Cornell’s fun book Captain Britain & MI:13 from a few years back. That kind makes him Britain’s Nick Fury, albeit a very sarcastic version who snarks a lot. When MYS-TECH reappear, and the scale of the threat becomes known, Wisdom is charged with recruiting the old Marvel UK heroes. Even though he seems to hate a lot of them.

Nrama: Now onto your next book for Revolutionary War, Super Soldiers. For people that didn’t read the original eight issue series from 1993, how would you describe the team?

Williams: They really were what it says on the tin. Britain’s own team of enhanced soldiers. They took the same drug that Nuke, from Daredevil: Born Again, took, albeit a more controlled version. This allows them to kind of ‘warp out’ when the drug hits their system in battle. Visually, they were part of that Cable/Rob Liefield era, with big shoulder pads and guns so heavy they could rip your arms out of their sockets when you tried to lift them. ‘The Hernia Age’!

Nrama: Who’s in the team these days?

Williams: Colonel Hauer, Gog, Dalton, Guvnor. All were part of the original team. But time’s not been kind to them.

Nrama: So what are they like these days then?

Williams: The Super Soldiers, in the years since we last met them, have done what any crack, black-ops military team would do, and written a ‘tell-all’ novel that’s being turned into a movie. And they’ve managed to convince the makers to cast them in supporting roles. Hauer is acting as ‘Military advisor’ on the production, and hating every minute of this. The fact that no one’s seen or heard from them in 20 years pretty much sums up their feelings of having seen better days. They’re a group without purpose. There used to be straightforward wars of right and wrong, not they’re privately owned by a corporation and they don’t have a fight. The key line for me was “Super Soldiers? There’s nothing super about us.” “No, but we’re soldiers. So we fight.” It’s the story of people who’ve lost purpose but, when MYS-TECH attack in overwhelming numbers, they have to try and protect innocents. I was channeling movies like Zulu and The Wild Geese writing it. That British soldiers idea of fighting against crazy odds, trying to hold the line. Trying to find something noble.

Nrama: So how does these two one-shots fit within the larger Revolutionary War event?

Williams: We’re all parts of the jigsaw, but it’s Andy Lanning and Alan Cowsill’s story overall. They provided the core series framework, then it was up to us to pitch the individual stories to fit inside that.

Nrama: Your comics debut was in 2002, well after Marvel UK folded – but I imagine you might’ve read them when you were younger. Can you tell us about your connection to the Marvel UK titles?

Williams: I’ll be honest, I never read the Marvel UK books at the time. I think they came out when I was at college and I kind of took a few years off from comics while I concentrated on serious pastimes like pubs, plays and chasing the opposite sex. But I’ve read a lot of these characters over the years and have a strong soft spot for some of them. After writing these issues I’ve discovered just how good these characters can be.

http://www.newsarama.com/19705-rob-w...-soldiers.html

Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
King Marvel
Newbie First Class

I don't have a huge amount of Marvel UK knowledge, but I'm definitely interested in this. I became a Captain Britain fan because of the really good Captain Britain & MI-13 book, so I'll check this out for him and Pete Wisdom if nothing else. I kind of wish were getting a bit of Meggan and Spitfire, but since its premise is focusing on Marvel UK characters from back when it was being printed, I get why that probably won't happen, outside of a possible Meggan cameo with captain Britain. This is definately an event I'll be checking out.

King Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #15
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Holy cow an artist who can actually draw a visually accurate part of London!

Why are Pete Wisdom's hot knives like Wolverines claws on the cover?

Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: OMEGA #1
ANDY LANNING & ALAN COWSILL (W) • RICHARD ELSON (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
VARIANT COVER BY Jamie MCKELVIE
THE FINAL ISSUE IN AN 8-PART EPIC
• Marvel UK’s triumphant return reaches its epic conclusion!
• Will the agents of MI:13 be able to stop whatever Mys-Tech has been planning?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: MOTORMOUTH #1
GLENN DAKIN (W) • RONAN CLIQUET (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
VARIANT COVER BY Declan Shalvey
• When Mys-Tech returns and threatens the safety of Great Britain, MI:13 need to try to convince MOTORMOUTH to come out of retirement.
• Harley Davis’ days of being a hero are over, though. Now, her day job is being the mother of her two children. Until an explosive Mys-Tech attack calls her out of retirement!
• Be there as Motormouth gets her mojo back!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: WARHEADS #1
ANDY LANNING & ALAN COWSILL (W)
GARY ERSKINE (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
VARIANT COVER BY Gary Erskine
• Colonel Liger, formerly of the evil organization Mys-Tech, has started working as an agent of MI:13, Mys-Tech’s rival agency.
• Not everything is as it appears, though – because Liger has just discovered that his old team, The Warheads, are still alive – and nothing’s going to stop him from finding them.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Awesome!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #20
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Zombie King Arthur, Mo Farrah, digs at the Tory party and Croydon jokes. This has to be one of the weirdest comics marvel have ever produced.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #23
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Really looking forward to the Death's Head one. The event's been kind of boring, probably due in large part to my not really having much connection to any of the characters so far. I never heard of Dark Angel and only vaguely knew about the Knights of Pendragon. But my uncle had some Death's Head comics that I liked when I was a kid, so this one might restore my interest. I'll probably have to go to Wikipedia and remind myself what the deal was with Minion and the original and how they're connected first, though.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I loved the Death's Head II comics and would like to read this for that reason (plus I like Captain Britain a great deal), but I just can't afford it right now. I'm curious how it all plays out and what comes out of it if anything.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
Specter313
Ghost of all things X