The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #51
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

WB is not going to move WF in any way shape or form. The mid July release is their defacto tentpole date. Marvel is May 1st. I think it's not even worth discussing anymore, given how steadfast the studios are. I think they also respect each other enough to stay within their territory. I still think it's going to be May 2016 when all is said and done.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #52
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

It's not going to be May 2016! They just confirmed it to all the licensee. They don't do that for ****s and giggles. They need to inform business partners and they did.

If anything TA2 comes out a week earlier in Europe, they may do the same in NA and push it up. But again 3 weeks is enough time. It's not going to be May 2016. It's already been confirmed for Summer of 2015.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #53
Mr.M
Side-Kick

It's already October and there hasn't been much noteworthy news. The last thing you want is for them to rush it and mess it up. May 2016 FTW!!! Memorial Day also works, and that's probably the only viable slot, but why you'd want to cut into Avengers 2 BO is pretty head scratching. I guess mid June is an option, but lots of baggage that month. Jurassic World, Terminator, and ID4 early July, which would needlessly overlap your target demo. But Disney has done this before, with Thor and PoTC 4 coming out the same month, so it's likely they will do it again.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #54
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
It's already October and there hasn't been much noteworthy news. The last thing you want is for them to rush it and mess it up. May 2016 FTW!!! Memorial Day also works, and that's probably the only viable slot, but why you'd want to cut into Avengers 2 BO is pretty head scratching. I guess mid June is an option, but lots of baggage that month. Jurassic World, Terminator, and ID4 early July, which would needlessly overlap your target demo. But Disney has done this before, with Thor and PoTC 4 coming out the same month, so it's likely they will do it again.
That means nothing. JJ is known for being very quiet, that and even with the PT they did not announce the cast until about a month before shooting. Most films during pre-production are fairly quiet. That and production started on this (George and Ardnt) they started writing in 2011. This is not some project that just sprung up quickly, they've been working on it for some time. It's production schedule is ahead of that of The Avengers 2.

The thing is it may cannibalize a little bit from TA2 but not much. Anymore films, especially sequels are so front loaded, most of the sales are within the first 3 weeks anyways. I'm sure the business team over at Disney has thought this through. They will be fine and both films will make tons of money.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #55
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I agree. It's a solid 1-2 punch, and then you give way to the other studios later in June and July. But Disney will completely dominate May 2015. Memorial Day is the only sensible date at this point.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #56
bapi
Side-Kick

They'll need 16-18 months for shooting + post-production so what are we really talking about? Summer '15 is impossible.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #57
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
They'll need 16-18 months for shooting + post-production so what are we really talking about? Summer '15 is impossible.
I already answered this, but no they don't. And it seems summer 2015 is even more "confirmed" now.

The thing that needs most time is post-production. And that can be done quickly if money is no object. And for Bob/Disney it is no object. Now that Disney owns ILM they will make sure they have double/triple the team normally used to make sure they get quality, but done faster. Additionally, like I said above they hired two top tier production designers, and that is very rare. That means they want to get the sets built with quality, but fast, usually there is only one production designer at the helm.

The thing they can't rush is what they are doing now, which it seems they have 5-6 months until filming starts. So they are not rushing that aspect it seems. But the post production can be rushed without hurting quality, it will just cost an arm and a leg, and trust me Disney will pay for it. I have a feeling Episode VII will be one of the most expensive films made.

A lot of post-production is different from 10 years ago STID got their post done in about 8 months.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #58
:eek:
Side-Kick

Is "Star Wars: Episode VII" Being Rushed?

By Garth Franklin Thursday October 31st 2013 12:35PM
One thing about the studio system that often leads to a compromise of film quality is when a project is rushed to meet an unfeasible pre-announced release date. Rumblings have emerged today that "Star Wars: Episode VII" may have have fallen into that trap over at Disney.
With the film's writer Michael Arndt exiting the project last week and J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan taking over scripting duties, insiders tell THR reports that that the script isn't close to being ready.
As a result, producer Kathleen Kennedy and much of the film's creative team have asked for the film's release to be pushed to 2016 to give them adequate time. However, studio CEO Robert Iger is "adamant" that 'Episode VII' must open in 2015.
Abrams is said to be "more in sync" with Iger's desire to hit that 2015 release no matter what, but it's a mandate which means that there's literally no margin for error.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #59
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

That's kind of worrisome. I always thought the summer 2015 window seemed rushed.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #60
Neo_3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
In Summer you have crossover in demos its unavoidable. By the time May 22 rolls around AoU would be at 450M-500M+ putting it in May 2016 against MU could be a risk. MU has a good chance of being Dr. Strange and I would think an original property would need as much leggy room as can be and VII would hurt those legs.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #61
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
That's kind of worrisome. I always thought the summer 2015 window seemed rushed.
I would not say so at all. George started writing this in 2011. JJ was on board since early 2013. I think having over 2 years is fine time. The thing they can't rush is pre-production/filming itself. And it's clear they are not doing that, and letting JJ have the time he needs, otherwise they would not have let him have a crack at the script with Kasdan. pre-production still does not end until March at earliest.

Having almost 14 months in pre-production with JJ I'd say is plenty of time. As for the areas they can keep quality but speed it up is post production and "set building" during pre-production. It's clear they are already doing that with the two production designers. Instead of having 5 guys make a house they will hire 10 when it comes to CGI. Like I said above money is no object to them. As long as the parts that should not be rushed are not, then I'd say go for it.

But that's the sad thing, I hate all these articles making pure speculation based off of "rumors". And blow it out of proportion. Star Wars+Negative headline=tons of hits. When even Pablo from Lucasfilm himself yesterday said people are blowing this way out of proportion, which is what the internet does best.

In reality from it's inception Episode VII has been int he works with Lucas/Ardnt for already 2 years now. You add the rest of the time 3.5 years is I think enough time for a project. Once you put that into perspective it does not seem like "rushing". Heck The Avengers had under 2 years to make their film when Joss had to come in and re-write from scratch.

It's just almost 2.5 years is enough time for JJ to get this film done, as well as 3.5 for the entire project.

That and at the end of the THR article it clearly states that their other reliable source said all of this "fighting/rushing" stuff is bull.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #62
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

The thing is, it's had more than adequate preproduction window...for a 'normal' blockbuster film. But this film has so much baggage and has to operate on so many levels in order to be successful. It has to feel like an authentic, organic piece of the Star Wars mythos and not a tacked on sequel. On a certain level I think Disney wants to just be able to manufacture that by throwing outrageous amounts of money and talent at it, and it's really not quite that simple when this is the big passing of the torch movie and JJ only came in midway through the process.

Like I said in the other thread, I think JJ probably works well under pressure (the guy's a workaholic) so in the end I don't think the film will suffer. And while the rumors of "turmoil" are definitely being sensationalized, I'm not in a position really to discount all of it and just assume that everything is a-OK right now either. Of course LFL officials are going to downplay the rumors no matter what right now, that's just simple PR.

The way I see it is, yes it's been two years that the script has been in development, and yet they're still making adjustments and fine-tuning the script. All that tells me is that Episode VII has been one tough cookie to crack. And you know what? That's actually a good thing. It should be a challenge, they should be going through this thing with a fine comb, they should be banging their heads against the wall trying to make it better. I have no doubt that every story decision will have been a hard fought battle, and they are trying their absolute best to make a great film. We'll have to wait until 2015 to see if it all paid off.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 11-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #63
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The thing is, it's had more than adequate preproduction window...for a 'normal' blockbuster film. But this film has so much baggage and has to operate on so many levels in order to be successful. It has to feel like an authentic, organic piece of the Star Wars mythos and not a tacked on sequel. On a certain level I think Disney wants to just be able to manufacture that by throwing outrageous amounts of money and talent at it, and it's really not quite that simple when this is the big passing of the torch movie and JJ only came in midway through the process.

Like I said in the other thread, I think JJ probably works well under pressure (the guy's a workaholic) so in the end I don't think the film will suffer. And while the rumors of "turmoil" are definitely being sensationalized, I'm not in a position really to discount all of it and just assume that everything is a-OK right now either. Of course LFL officials are going to downplay the rumors no matter what right now, that's just simple PR.

The way I see it is, yes it's been two years that the script has been in development, and yet they're still making adjustments and fine-tuning the script. All that tells me is that Episode VII has been one tough cookie to crack. And you know what? That's actually a good thing. It should be a challenge, they should be going through this thing with a fine comb, they should be banging their heads against the wall trying to make it better. I have no doubt that every story decision will have been a hard fought battle, and they are trying their absolute best to make a great film. We'll have to wait until 2015 to see if it all paid off.
Yes it is and they are. But I will make one other argument. Name the three Star Wars films that were given lots of time (one of which was given almost 6 years) in production and making sure it was "just perfect." Name the other three Star Wars films that were actually under a lot of pressure.

Of course to be short the OT was the one with limited production time and the PT was given all the time int he world. People have to let go of this notion that a Star Wars film needs like 4 years of production. Jackson filmed the entire trilogy of LOTR, wrote the entire trilogy, and completed a 3 hour film with in 4 years. And trust me it does not get much more epic then LOTR.

People need to stop thinking that Disney is just some evil company pushing it out in a fast way. They have had a long time for it, and figured out the date way before we knew about it. A date that would work to allow for optimal production time to create a great film. And JJ was a part of this since January (actually more December according to lots of the articles in terms of him working on it) of 2012/early 2013. That is 2.5 years, more then 2/3'rds of the production time. If JJ is confident that is all that matters. If he was not, it's clear he is very verbal about it. We heard about his complaints back in June.

But again yes the PR team may down play it...but the Internet takes rumors and runs wild with it. Perfect example was TDK when Heath died. Everyone said the film was doomed, and rumors came out that there was additional filming needed and they were going to scrap the whole project. And....we know how that turned out. People jump to quickly to dismiss official PR reports any more because they want the drama of the internet.

Taking this much time does not mean it was a tough cookie to crack, it just means they are making sure it is the best it can be.

Last edited by Solidus; 11-01-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #64
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I mean, you're right...in the end it's all a bunch of drama and that's why these sites run with it.

However, any little tinges of skepticism I throw at this project has less to do with any rumors I hear and more to do with how I'm not and have never been in love with the choice of JJ Abrams, so my default mode isn't to assume that this film is an automatic home run. I have a healthy amount of optimism about the project too mind you and I'm really excited for it, but my faith isn't to the point where I'll quickly dismiss all possibilities of negative stuff behind the scenes...at least yet. JJ still has to earn that kind of confidence with me, especially coming off the (IMO) mediocre STID. At this stage in the game I trust Kennedy's judgment more than I trust JJ's.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 11-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #65
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah there's no formula that can tell you if a movie will be great despite a troubles production.

For Example:

Latino Review mentioned once that X-Men First Class was going to be a diaster. It had a rushed schedule which was on the cusp of imploding. Also Rupert Wyatt said that he though Rise of the Planet of the Apes was going to kill his career as he struggled in post.

But both ended being the best hits of 2011.

Sure you have The Long Ranger and John Carter too which were disastrous. And both were Disney.

So it's hard to gauge anything until the film hits theaters. What will save Star Wars 7 is this: JJ (whose experience in TV can handle the stress) and Kathy Kennedy.

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #66
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. There is no formula.

And while I just admitted to not being 100% on the JJ train, I actually think he's the perfect guy for the job in the sense of being well equipped to deal with all the stress and pressure that comes with this thing.

Overall, I definitely see no reason to hit the panic button yet. But I do think there's probably some interesting stuff going on right now that we'll probably hear about in a doc or book someday.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #67
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I'm 100% of the JJ train, he is perfect for Star Wars, he has sensibilities to create great depth/mythology/allegory (Lost), and does something I don't think many directors do anymore is capture that feeling of "adventure". Something that ST09 brought out in me that no film has since the OT or the OT of Indy.

STID was still a good film, but it's shortfalls was because of Bob/Alex (the writers) more than anything else. The directing was still top notch.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #68
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

My hesitation is that he signed off on that STID script. As a director he certainly did the best he could with it.

But I agree, he has the right sensibilities and the talent. I'm just still waiting on the first truly "great" JJ Abrams film, and I hoping very much that Star Wars Episode VII is just that.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #69
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
My hesitation is that he signed off on that STID script. As a director he certainly did the best he could with it.

But I agree, he has the right sensibilities and the talent. I'm just still waiting on the first truly "great" JJ Abrams film, and I hoping very much that Star Wars Episode VII is just that.
Well a few things, to a "non Trek fan" like a lot of my friends, it was a great film. JJ is not much of a fan, so he does not understand some of the things that most complained about with STID had to do with the "re-hash" of Khan. To him it seemed fine. I will give him that. And in some senses Paramount was more in control of the project then he was. I think he did the best he could or anyone could with the writers and in reality he was not as passionate about Trek and has said so many times before. Passion can be important, and that is one thing he has in double spades with Star Wars. He understands Star Wars.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #70
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Well, I'm not a hardcore Trekkie myself, but even I felt the movie was a little too derivative and obvious with its Wrath of Kahn parallels at times, so it's a little tough for me to let JJ completely off the hook just because he's not a fan. To me, that's where good taste should be kicking in, regardless of his own orientation (or lack of) with Star Trek. With fan service, there's always that line you can cross where it's too much of a good thing.

But yeah, as has been stated endlessly, he wanted to put Star Trek through a Star Wars filter and in that regard he very much succeeded. Now we'll see what he can do with a property he truly cares about.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #71
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Well, I'm not a hardcore Trekkie myself, but even I felt the movie was a little too derivative and obvious with its Wrath of Kahn parallels at times, so it's a little tough for me to let JJ completely off the hook just because he's not a fan. To me, that's where good taste should be kicking in, regardless of his own orientation (or lack of) with Star Trek. With fan service, there's always that line you can cross where it's too much of a good thing.

But yeah, as has been stated endlessly, he wanted to put Star Trek through a Star Wars filter and in that regard he very much succeeded. Now we'll see what he can do with a property he truly cares about.
It may be obvious, but I don't think Khan was as much his choice. Regardless of it's flaws STID was the only blockbuster this summer I actually enjoyed/had fun at. The characters arch of Spock and Kirk were great, and the pacing/adventure was amazing.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #72
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
Is "Star Wars: Episode VII" Being Rushed?

By Garth Franklin Thursday October 31st 2013 12:35PM
One thing about the studio system that often leads to a compromise of film quality is when a project is rushed to meet an unfeasible pre-announced release date. Rumblings have emerged today that "Star Wars: Episode VII" may have have fallen into that trap over at Disney.
With the film's writer Michael Arndt exiting the project last week and J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan taking over scripting duties, insiders tell THR reports that that the script isn't close to being ready.
As a result, producer Kathleen Kennedy and much of the film's creative team have asked for the film's release to be pushed to 2016 to give them adequate time. However, studio CEO Robert Iger is "adamant" that 'Episode VII' must open in 2015.
Abrams is said to be "more in sync" with Iger's desire to hit that 2015 release no matter what, but it's a mandate which means that there's literally no margin for error.

With a complete script rewrite going on as we speak, I think it is safe to assume it is being rushed to a certain extent. No matter what fanboys think, making a Star Wars films is no quick and easy task. The script and storyline may include MULTIPLE old and new characters and plot lines that need to be fleshed out, introduced and developed. No quick and easy task.

Also, big time sets need to be designed and constructed along finding the right actors. Post production and big time SFX/CGI/SVX work will need to be done and that takes time, plus with editing and sound mixing.

This is all important if JJ is going to develop a quality product unlike the last 3 SW films. JJ needs to calm down on those damn annoying lens flares that are headache inducing. I also hope JJ does not use the color palette and visual look as the ST films. SW and ST must have two different and unique visual looks.

They should release the film Holidays 2015 or May 2016. They will rush it to try and make that Memorial Day May 2016 spot though.

Yep....

Last edited by NoLaNitE007; 11-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
NoLaNitE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #73
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
It may be obvious, but I don't think Khan was as much his choice. Regardless of it's flaws STID was the only blockbuster this summer I actually enjoyed/had fun at. The characters arch of Spock and Kirk were great, and the pacing/adventure was amazing.

Lens flares galore. Ugh

I was disappointed that Abrams, Orci and Kurtz script and they basically plagiarized from ST:WOK Spock death scene and just flip flop scenarios with Kirk and Spock in this one. Cumber did a good job, but I would have liked to have seen his Khan more rugged looking and raw. Plus I think everyone knew that Cumby was actually Khan, even though Abrams and Paramount tried to cover it up. Tried is the key word.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #74
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

First JJ knows how SW is suppose to look. He already said in September he will not being doing "lens flare" for SW he knows that. Also JJ did not write the STID script. It was pushed by Paramount. And again JJ is no fan of Trek so he just went with it and did the best he could. Which I still think was better then any other film this summer.

The film has been in production for a long time, they are not rushing it. Even at the end of the THR article if you read it "all the way" it clearly states that their other more reliable source says that all of those "rushing" rumors are not true. Also the THR article confirms it is not a "gut job page one re-write" that was just Devin being Devin and trying to get hits. He hates Star Wars and JJ so he is of course going to try to spin it as negative as possible. Also Pablo from Lucasfilm Limited said that nothing is being rushed, and they are going on just fine. Most films have re-writes/new writers come in, it's very common.

Also if you read my other posts you will see that they have done something almost no film does by hiring TWO Production Designers (who lead in design/ building sets). Doing CGI/building sets is the one thing you can keep quality but just double the team that is normally used to get it done in half the time. It costs a lot more money, but trust me money is no issue with Disney for Episode VII they will spend what every they have to spend.

The things they can't rush is the script/filming. Which clearly they are not or they would not have let JJ change anything to begin with. But this article shows that there is a re-write but it is far from a "page one". They still have 5 months until filming starts. This is nothing odd or new.

Again this reminds me of the TDK disaster after Heath died. All the bull rumors going around about how they needed more filming with him, and were going to replace him/do a whole new film etc. People take little bits of news and create drama to get HITS on their sites. SW+any drama+over blowing it=Hits for websites.

SO AGAIN IT'S NOT A PAGE ONE RE-WRITE. If there was any re-writing it started back in July. And they are still polishing it which usually with most films , even all of Nolan's films the screen plays are being written up to actual filming.

Last edited by Solidus; 11-02-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #75
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
First JJ knows how SW is suppose to look. He already said in September he will not being doing "lens flare" for SW he knows that. Also JJ did not write the STID script. It was pushed by Paramount. And again JJ is no fan of Trek so he just went with it and did the best he could. Which I still think was better then any other film this summer.

The film has been in production for a long time, they are not rushing it. Even at the end of the THR article if you read it "all the way" it clearly states that their other more reliable source says that all of those "rushing" rumors are not true. Also the THR article confirms it is not a "gut job page one re-write" that was just Devin being Devin and trying to get hits. He hates Star Wars and JJ so he is of course going to try to spin it as negative as possible. Also Pablo from Lucasfilm Limited said that nothing is being rushed, and they are going on just fine. Most films have re-writes/new writers come in, it's very common.

Also if you read my other posts you will see that they have done something almost no film does by hiring TWO Production Designers (who lead in design/ building sets). Doing CGI/building sets is the one thing you can keep quality but just double the team that is normally used to get it done in half the time. It costs a lot more money, but trust me money is no issue with Disney for Episode VII they will spend what every they have to spend.

The things they can't rush is the script/filming. Which clearly they are not or they would not have let JJ change anything to begin with. But this article shows that there is a re-write but it is far from a "page one". They still have 5 months until filming starts. This is nothing odd or new.

Again this reminds me of the TDK disaster after Heath died. All the bull rumors going around about how they needed more filming with him, and were going to replace him/do a whole new film etc. People take little bits of news and create drama to get HITS on their sites. SW+any drama+over blowing it=Hits for websites.

SO AGAIN IT'S NOT A PAGE ONE RE-WRITE. If there was any re-writing it started back in July. And they are still polishing it which usually with most films , even all of Nolan's films the screen plays are being written up to actual filming.

Plus JJ and Kasdan will have to prepare their plot and script not just for this film, they need to think about what's ahead for the next films after. Making a good SW film(s) is no easy task and takes time.