Ghost of all things X

Default Marvel's January 2014 Solicitations

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48560

http://www.newsarama.com/19290-marve...citations.html

Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Default Re: Marvel's January 2014 Solicitations

Man... if only Nightcrawler weren't returning in Amazing X-Men. I'm very bored of Aaron's X-Men and am considering dropping Wolverine & the X-Men, but I can't pass up Nightcrawler.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

This is tough. I've not been happy with Marvel for a very long time. I've been an X-Men fan for decades and doubt I'll ever get rid of those completely, but I'm seriously contemplating doing some massive dropping. Basically, everything except for the core X-Men books (All New, Uncanny, and Uncanny Avengers) and just let the rest go. I just find that I buy so many books for characters but seldom care for the actual books they're in. Then you add the fact that events and other such things semi-force you to pick up extra books, and there are always crossovers happening somewhere.

DC does the same, but Marvel's comics double ship often and are typically a dollar more. There are more DC books that I'd be curious about but can't afford. If I drop to just the core X-Books, I can try more titles that I actually WANT to buy instead of keeping up with titles that I'm only semi-enjoying.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 10-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Definitely:
All New X-Factor
UNCANNY AVENGERS #16
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #25 & #26
FANTASTIC FOUR #16
NOVA #12

Maybe:
INHUMAN #1
ALL-NEW INVADERS #1

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Havok83
Side-Kick

I dont get the preview for Avengers 25. "It worked for the X-men" What?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
MMMMM...Pancakes
SHOCK The World

She-Hulk Dan Slott Collection.

MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
This is tough. I've not been happy with Marvel for a very long time. I've been an X-Men fan for decades and doubt I'll ever get rid of those completely, but I'm seriously contemplating doing some massive dropping. Basically, everything except for the core X-Men books (All New, Uncanny, and Uncanny Avengers) and just let the rest go. I just find that I buy so many books for characters but seldom care for the actual books they're in. Then you add the fact that events and other such things semi-force you to pick up extra books, and there are always crossovers happening somewhere.
I know the feeling and have done a bit of this myself, I am down to 7-8 books a month now if there is no double shipping or crossovers.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm at 10 Marvels & 9 DCs right now (including Amazing X-Men, which I plan on getting for Nightcrawler's return).

Of those Marvels...

I LOVE Daredevil as a character but just don't like how Waid writes his book. There are great moments, but I'm enjoying the book half as much as I did under Bendis, Brubaker, and Diggle.

I Loved the main Young Avengers team, and while this new team has half of those members, these other members really take away of the feel that the team used to have. Plus, the way Gillen writes them feels completely different than how they used to be. This feels very "look at us, we're teenagers... yay! Selfies!" and I find that very annoying. Without Stature, Jonas, Patriot, and Speed (or Iron Lad to an extent) the book just doesn't feel like the Young Avengers anymore. It feels like another plug-in-a-young-hero teenager book like Young Allies.

I'm enjoying New Avengers at times but also get bored at other times. Add that to the fact that it seems like it'll be paired with Avengers off and on throughout it's long run, likely with another event or two, and it makes it more difficult to follow. I love the idea of the Illuminati and its cast, but I don't know if the book is worth the headache.

I've enjoyed the past two issues of Mighty Avengers but Land's art annoys the crap out of me, and so does having SpOck there. I realized that I'm loving Luke Cage (my being a big fan of Bendis' run), but that's really the only major draw. If he weren't a part of this team, I could leave it easily. Is it worth paying $4 for Luke Cage when there's no guarantee he'll get a major role every issue? Especially when the art and another major character is as much a hindrance as Luke is a help for me.

Uncanny Avengers is good, and I like the overall direction of the book, but the slow, plodding pace is killing me. This would be one of the books I'd keep, but it needs to hurry up with whatever it's heading toward.

All New X-Men & Uncanny X-Men - These would be the other two keeps as the core X-Men books. I loved All New when it started but it's starting to get a little old. The novelty of the O5 has worn off. Uncanny's always been a shadow of All New and Bachelo's art definitely keeps it there. Also, I just really don't like this 'Cyclops is the enemy' or 'Cyclops is the military general' sort of deal that's been going on for a decade. I miss the family of the book.

Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men is so hit or miss for me it's frustrating. I don't like his silly approach to Wolverine & the X-Men, which is a shame because it started so well. I don't like that he brought in Bamfs... obvious mini-Nightcrawlers... and nobody questioned it for freaking 30 or so issues. That is so stupid! I was ready to drop this book when Battle of the Atom was announced. I was still ready to drop it until I hear Cyclops will be a major factor in it afterwords. And the very idea of Amazing X-Men sounds stupid, but I love Nightcrawler. His return is what's assuring I buy this book when it comes out. But I'm just so annoyed by Aaron's X-Men. He's not very good at it in my opinion.

I don't really have anything against Brian Woods' X-Men book save for that it's a 3rd or 4th tier title that will bare little importance on anything. I like that it has Jubilee and soon Monet (my being a Generation X fan) but beyond that, I've not been horribly impressed. It's a mediocre book at best. Is Jubilee and Monet worth $4 a month?

And so, after thinking over all these titles... I just don't understand why I'm spending all this a month to constantly feel annoyed, let down, or just underwhelmed at all of these books. I don't necessarily think it's all the books' fault, but rather my mentality toward Marvel of late. I love the characters but hate what Marvel is doing with a lot of them, and their prices, double-shippings, and constant renumberings making it hard to follow them isn't helping. I can never leave X-Men, I don't think, but it might be time for me to pull back on Marvel and take a break.

Sadly, I don't think I have it in me to do it.

I want to, but then I want to see more of the Illuminati (which unfortunately will tie-in to Avengers) and I'll miss them. I'll want to keep up with Daredevil, one of my favorite characters, but I won't care for what I'm reading and will end up missing him horribly if I drop it. The same goes for everything else. I love the Marvel Universe and all its characters. I just no longer get a whole lot of enjoyment out of their depictions right now... but not buying them won't exactly make me feel better either. I think it'd be too hard to give up on 22 years of continuous continuity.

It's like how I was with Spider-Man after OMD. Now imagine me like that, but regarding the entire Marvel Universe. I'd be miserable both ways

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 10-20-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Even with DC... I'm enjoying the crap out of a lot of their books, but all the event and crossing over is starting to ware my wallet thin. My two favorite books are Phantom Stranger and Justice League Dark, but they sell horribly... so how much longer will they continue? I like Batman but Year Zero is pretty boring for me and it still has another 6 or 7 issues (something like that). I'm uncertain regarding the future of Justice League (or at least the team that I like) due to Forever Evil. I'm loving Aquaman, one of the best books being released right now, but Geoff Johns is leaving. Will I still like it under a different writer? Nightwing, Talon, and Pandora are pretty middle of the road. I LOVED Batwoman, but the way DC is handling Williams III's leaving is horrid and might take me completely out of the book. Especially if the new writer doesn't wrap up this current arc (that the whole series has been building to) like it's been alluded.

I'm certainly enjoying DC a LOT more, but I'm starting to see the chips behind how the company is being run. This mess with Batwoman could potentially turn into my OMD of Marvel... reminding me that the people behind the books can screw up everything I like with stupid decisions and suck all the enjoyment I've been having right out of me. I'm enjoying DC... but suddenly I'm weary.

Why didn't I take up stamp collecting instead?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I dont get the preview for Avengers 25. "It worked for the X-men" What?
All-New X-Men

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Havok83
Side-Kick

Oh I was thinking of the All-New, All Different team from Uncanny X-men and didn't get the reference bc we weren't getting a completely different team of Avengers

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Double-shipping Thor: God of Thunder. Huzzah!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Double-shipping Thor: God of Thunder. Huzzah!
You instantly put Tobias Funke in my mind with that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I am honored.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I'm already tired of the O5 X-Men and it looks like they're gonna be every-damn-where soon.