The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

View Poll Results: Who is more powerful, current Thor or current Silver Surfer?
Silver Surfer 15 50.00%
Thor 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Silver Surfer vs Thor

^These days definitely, I know Thor has beaten him many times in the past but post Annihilation Surfer has outrageous amounts of power. Thor just couldnt compete anymore.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Its been a while since Thor has beaten him though, that is the point of the thread, in terms of todays version of the characters, which the thread creator specified, I think Silver Surfer takes this every time.

Also, Hulk has beat Thor A LOT more times than vice-versa, and yet Hulk has never beaten SS, ever.
You mentioned previous fights and I answered you, which makes it logical that I talk about the same things.

Even in the most current comics there's plenty of disparity to make things hard to judge. In the Avengers Assemble comic Thor seems to be written pretty poorly and doesn't come across as that powerful (as far as I read, which wasn't that far as I didn't find it to be very good) while in Thor: God of Thunder he has an extremely big feat where he absorbs energy that was meant to kill every god that have ever existed, basically becoming a god for the gods. Very different portrayals of Thor in parallel comics.

As for Hulk vs Thor, Thor has almost always held back (and as for canon comics, I don't think they are very far apart in victories at all). I don't remember Hulk ever winning when Thor doesn't. As for Hulk never beating SS, SS has never beaten Thor which is the more relevant point. It wouldn't even matter if Hulk had beaten Thor every time, there can be a rock paper scissors situation. Thor vs Hulk is only relevant if you want to look at Thor vs someone he hasn't faced but has faced Hulk.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #28
Morbius
Living Vampire

I have a feeling that movie Thor would instantly lose a bout with Silver Surfer. I haven't read very much Thor at all - is it fair to say he's much less powerful in his movie form than in the comics?

I also hear a lot about Odinforce Thor - what does that mean?

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #29
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
I have a feeling that movie Thor would instantly lose a bout with Silver Surfer. I haven't read very much Thor at all - is it fair to say he's much less powerful in his movie form than in the comics?

I also hear a lot about Odinforce Thor - what does that mean?
Hard to compare since guys like Thor and Hulk are less powerful in the movies and SS hasn't been in a Marvel produced film.

The Odinforce is the power that makes Odin so powerful and it is transferred to the new king of Asgard. It increases Thor's power to a completely different level and certainly out of Surfer's league.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
You mentioned previous fights and I answered you, which makes it logical that I talk about the same things.

Even in the most current comics there's plenty of disparity to make things hard to judge. In the Avengers Assemble comic Thor seems to be written pretty poorly and doesn't come across as that powerful (as far as I read, which wasn't that far as I didn't find it to be very good) while in Thor: God of Thunder he has an extremely big feat where he absorbs energy that was meant to kill every god that have ever existed, basically becoming a god for the gods. Very different portrayals of Thor in parallel comics.

As for Hulk vs Thor, Thor has almost always held back (and as for canon comics, I don't think they are very far apart in victories at all). I don't remember Hulk ever winning when Thor doesn't. As for Hulk never beating SS, SS has never beaten Thor which is the more relevant point. It wouldn't even matter if Hulk had beaten Thor every time, there can be a rock paper scissors situation. Thor vs Hulk is only relevant if you want to look at Thor vs someone he hasn't faced but has faced Hulk.
Is this proven or fan speculation though? Dont mean to offend you just asking, every time I have seen them fight in the comics, Hulk has won, and even Thor fans admit that Thor loses more to Hulk than he wins, and by some way.

Thor seemed more powerful years ago from what I have read, but today Surfer takes this easily to me. SS may not have defeated Thor, but as in their recent fight he wasnt really fighting, more trying to talk Thor down, not to mention SS beat BRB with ease, who is Thor's equal.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Actually ever since their first fight BRB has not been Tho's equal, every fight since then There's either one shouted him or just kicked his ass.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Really, in The Annihilators it was stated that BRB had the power of the Norse God Thor by Ikon, she also then went on to identify Surfer as by far the most powerful of the team.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah she can say that all she wants, but from what we've SEEN BRB is no Thor not since their first fight.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Ah right, I always assumed they were equal anyway, but when Ikon outright spells it out, I thought it must right that they are.

In fairness in The Annihilators, BRB handled Red Hulk better then Thor did when RH 1st appeared.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #35
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

A and B logic is pointless when we have actual fights between the two guys we're comparing. Not to mention the fact that Red Hulk was the new bad guy on the block when he first fought Thor so of course they're going to make him look good. You see their fight went once Red Hulk's novelty wore off.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
Silver Surfer
Power Cosmic

I win, duh.

Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #37
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
I win, duh.
You said yourself that my magic alone is greater than your power.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

*Picks up Mjolnir*

I'm the winner duhhh.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #39
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Surtur vs Gorr thread! - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...5#post27105375

Check it out and be sure to vote for who you think would win and why!

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #40
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

I can't comment on power levels, as I lost track of these characters years ago....and I'm a DC fan, sorry.
However, I have always been partial to the Surfer, because, well because he's cool.
He used to be Galactus' ***** and then stood up for what's right.

Anyway, in terms of power, the Surfer's power is probably more versatile, in terms of rearranging matter, manipulating energy (can Thor practically bring someone back to life ?)
In those terms, the Surfer is more powerful.

However, in terms of raw strength, and hitting power Thor is probably much stronger, with the Surfer only able to compete if he puts all his cosmic power into augmenting his strength.

In terms of who'd win in a fight (yes, I know this thread is "who's more powerful" but we all are thinking this anyway).....

Much like Hulk v Thor, I think it depends on territorial advantage.
If the fight happens in space, or a hostile alien environment, the Surfer wins, no question.

If the fight happens on Earth's surface or within the atmosphere, Thor has a big advantage, and given his fighting skills and weather powers, could take the Surfer down.

Unlike Superman, who gets pissed off when hit by hammers, the Surfer is innately peaceful, so Thor would be able to get in quite a few shots before he retaliates.

Like I said though, I'm not up with who's power is where, it seems like writers change hero's power levels all the time ( I'm a Superman fan, so I'm used to this), which is annoying but understandable.

If anything, the competition should take place either when the characters are at their
weakest or most powerful.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #41
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Anyway, in terms of power, the Surfer's power is probably more versatile, in terms of rearranging matter, manipulating energy (can Thor practically bring someone back to life ?)
In those terms, the Surfer is more powerful.
According to Marvel's wiki Thor's energy manipulation is equal of Surfer's. As for the specific task of bringing someone back to life I don't think he can do that without the Odinforce though, which if he had that would put him way above Surfer and is not really the point of the comparison.

Thor can also affect both time and space so when looking at some more mystical effects he has those too.

Quote:
In terms of who'd win in a fight (yes, I know this thread is "who's more powerful" but we all are thinking this anyway).....
The thread actually is about who wins in a fight.

Quote:
Much like Hulk v Thor, I think it depends on territorial advantage.
If the fight happens in space, or a hostile alien environment, the Surfer wins, no question.

If the fight happens on Earth's surface or within the atmosphere, Thor has a big advantage, and given his fighting skills and weather powers, could take the Surfer down.
They mainly have fought in space and environment unlike Earth. Surfer has never been able to win.

Thor also don't actually need an atmosphere to create his weather effects. In the recent God-Butcher arc he (it's even his young self, before he's deemed worthy) summons a rain of fire on a moon where there's no water. He's done similar things before as well.

Quote:
Like I said though, I'm not up with who's power is where, it seems like writers change hero's power levels all the time ( I'm a Superman fan, so I'm used to this), which is annoying but understandable.
Yes, the power levels definitely change a lot from writer to writer. Even in comics that are going on simultaneously. Thor didn't come off very strong in the Avengers Assemble first arc, being knocked out in one blow a couple of times, while in Thor: God of Thunder he's very powerful and actually absorbed energy meant to kill every god in every point in time.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #42
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Dude, I respect your opinions, so what I'm about to say is nothing about you,
I'm apologizing now, because if what you say is correct, then this is going to offend you.

Quote:
According to Marvel's wiki Thor's energy manipulation is equal of Surfer's. As for the specific task of bringing someone back to life I don't think he can do that without the Odinforce though, which if he had that would put him way above Surfer and is not really the point of the comparison.

Thor can also affect both time and space so when looking at some more mystical effects he has those too.

Thor's energy manipulation.....what does that mean? Sure he could summon powerful lightning bolts, because he's the god of Thunder. Is he now the god of the electromagnetic spectrum ? Good, because I have some complaints about wireless broadband in our country, maybe he can fix it.

(that Odinforce stuff is one-off isn't it ? Or is that all the time ? I know that sometimes when the story demands it Thor gets extra power from somewhere else, but my understanding is that stuff like that is very temporary, and very situation dependent )

In contrast, the Surfer has resurrected the nearly deceased, rearranged molecules, used his cosmic energy to make himself stronger/faster/tougher
and do lots of other cool stuff. Can Thor do all that too ?

Thor can affect time and space ? What does this mean ?

It sounds like he's really gone beyond the original idea of the character. I knew Thor could use Mjolnir to travel between dimensions, (like between Asgard and Earth), what do you mean he can affect time and space, because those aren't powers I traditionally don't associate with Thor.

So if you're telling me he can manipulate energy like the Surfer, and affect space and time, why don't they just make him telepathic as well, or allow him to pass through solid objects, and the ability to grow/shrink or turn invisible because clearly they forgot to throw in those super powers too ?

(Yes, I know that's big talk from someone who's favourite superhero has more superpowers than I can count - but in my defence at least his powers have been pretty much the same since 1970, except the Red/Blue Superman thing, and everyone, myself included agrees that that sucked !)

It's one thing to make a character powerful, or give him some new super-powers, (happens all the time) And Thor certainly should be among the most powerful of Marvel's cast, but it sounds he's moved a long way past the character concept I would associate with Thor.

Basically, a big strong tough guy, who looks like he came from the same gym as Schwarzenegger, and has a magic hammer that can fly and control the weather -oh yeah, and is modelled on a legendary demi-God. But your description sounds like they should change the name of the comic from Thor: god of thunder, to just God.

To my mind, to make a fight interesting, each combatant should always have a chance of winning (e.g. in My MOS Superman v TDW Thor thread, I've said, many times, in the right circumstances Thor could win, it's more likely Supes would win, but not for a second do I think Thor doesn't have a chance).

Here, it sounds like the Surfer doesn't have a prayer against Thor. I could be misreading the way you've described him, but if Thor is really that powerful, maybe it should be Thor v Galactus instead, as the Surfer doesn't seem up to it.

Quote:
They mainly have fought in space and environment unlike Earth. Surfer has never been able to win.

Thor also don't actually need an atmosphere to create his weather effects. In the recent God-Butcher arc he (it's even his young self, before he's deemed worthy) summons a rain of fire on a moon where there's no water. He's done similar things before as well.

Again.....kind of goes beyond the concept of the character. I apologize for this, because it will no doubt offend....but that's just stupid, there's no atmosphere on the moon, so he's actually creating an atmosphere to create weather ? (Yes, Superman does impossible things every issue, but for some reason, weather effects without an atmosphere seems extra dumb, just IMO).

Quote:
Yes, the power levels definitely change a lot from writer to writer. Even in comics that are going on simultaneously. Thor didn't come off very strong in the Avengers Assemble first arc, being knocked out in one blow a couple of times, while in Thor: God of Thunder he's very powerful and actually absorbed energy meant to kill every god in every point in time.
Here we agree, that writers each put their own spin on the character, and don't always get it right. That stuff happens to Superman all the time, one day he's getting clobbered by Lobo, and a couple of months later punches Lobo into orbit, and laughs off his toughest shots, the next week, boy wonder takes him out.

This is no reflection on your personal taste, you like what you like, but you've just reminded me why I stopped reading Marvel a long time ago, and have never had much time for Thor.

However, I did read a few "Ultimates" when they first came out, and I really liked the Ultimate Thor, particularly that while powerful enough to take on all the other Avengers at once, plus a bunch of other guys, he was still beatable (and got beat !). He had quite an array of powers (including dimensional teleportation, weather control, flight, super strength, invulnerability-sort-of, lightning generation, but nothing that we wouldn't expect, or didn't over-extend the character concept.

Also, the character was well written, which helped.
But that version, and the Walt Simonson Thor of the 80's, was my favourite Thor.

Anyway, don't take it personally. I still really enjoyed TDW, and your thread is a good one.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #43
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I'm just stating what the Marvel wikia said. Thor has been quite a fluctuating character when it comes to power level. He's extremely powerful at his best but he's also a character that some writers have liked to job out to others to make them look powerful.

Thor has traveled time but of course most of his powers are those of a warrior, as that's what he is until he gets the Odinforce (then called Thorforce) and becomes the All-Father himself. And no, the Odinforce isn't a one-off, it's the power that Odin holds and when Thor inherits it he's more powerful than Odin was (when he's learned to control it). That's why I said that the Odinforce isn't relevant for this discussion since that puts Thor far higher than his normal state (and even further with the rune magic). Superman has had those states as well, as I'm told he's destroyed a solar system by sneezing.

As for Thor's weather powers, you argue like they aren't the magic powers of a god. Of course he'll be able to do stuff that isn't normally possible. When he fought Glory he summoned all the storms of a thousand worlds on the place they fought. By definition you can't do with the atmosphere in one world. And don't forget, he's not only an Asgardian but also half Elder god (his mother is Gaea).

When it comes to the Ultimate I've never had any interest in that so I haven't read it. I don't see how Thor being beatable there makes him any different from normal Thor. He's been beaten lots of times, just like everyone else. The recent God Butcher story is one of my all-time favorites and Thor gets beaten several times, while still coming across as very powerful.

And yes, we all like what we like. It's not strange that you don't care that much for Thor, just as I think Superman has often been pretty flavorless. No one should have any problems with differing taste as long as there's a respectful conversation about it.

I do not take it personally and this isn't my thread, I've just posted in it.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #44
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

I knew this would be a very close battle and I didn't want to say Surfer, just because I am partial to him even though I like Thor quite a bit as well. So, what I thought to do is something my Dad and I use to do when I was a kid to determine something's value. We would add up all the points to see who came out on top. So, I consulted the Marvel.com. power grids for each character links below.

http://marvel.com/universe/Silver_Surfer

http://marvel.com/universe/Thor

Now, using the official power rankings set by Marvel if all of the points are added up in each category you end up with 36 points for the Silver Surfer and 35 points for Thor. While fans rankings came in with 40 points for the Silver Surfer and 41 points for Thor. So, you can see a very close match up in both cases, but that in each case the fans felt these characters are more powerful then what Marvel perceives them to be. In the end though I felt the correct rankings were the ones put out by Marvel as they are official.

Now with that said one could argue, by looking at these rankings that the Silver Surfer won the overall rankings only due to superior intelligence, where as Thor had him beat in Fighting Skills which is perhaps more important to a battle, but I believe it is all relevant and that the extra intelligence would tell Surfer that he could not beat Thor in a hand to hand battle and that he would have to battle him from a distance, and that this would give him the upper hand in the battle, and given the Surfer's speed over Thor that shouldn't be a problem. I see it as he keeps Thor away from him and just keeps hammering him with the Power Cosmic. So, I voted Surfer.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #45
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post
Thirty years ago, Thor wins hands down. Nowadays, Surfer would destroy the son of Odin.
I thought it was the other way around.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote