The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #26
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Yeah it's not an absolute. Sometimes the ratings are too low. I felt that Man of Steel should've been in the 60's not 50's; or that Oblivion should've gotten a higher score. But then, there's movies where the rating is fairly justified. Like Quantum of Solace vs the two other Daniel Craig Bond films. Or Grown-Ups 2.

I DO think it's a decent method at gauging a mainstream genre film, rather let's say an indie flick which tends to be an acquired taste anyway.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #27
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
People do take it too seriously. I kept saying that the MoS people were far too upset about it (and far too cheerful when it started high) and I remain that it's RT score doesn't mean much, even though I don't like the movie myself.
RT is usually pretty accurate.

RT puts Avengers, Spider-Man 2, and TDK at the top of the stack and most fanboys would agree with that.

If Thor 2 gets into the 90's it's because it's a universally praised movie that deserves a high ranking. If a movie is divisive or complete crap then the score will reflect that.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #28
Octoberist
point blank

If Thor 2 gets a 90, it only can help the movie and possibly it's legacy. If it's in the 70's, it's more of the same ole same ole.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #29
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
If Thor 2 gets a 90, it only can help the movie and possibly it's legacy. If it's in the 70's, it's more of the same ole same ole.
I think the Marvel/Disney strategy is to hit a base hit most of the time and just when people start to get bored hit a home run and get the crowd excited again.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #30
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
RT is usually pretty accurate.

RT puts Avengers, Spider-Man 2, and TDK at the top of the stack and most fanboys would agree with that.

If Thor 2 gets into the 90's it's because it's a universally praised movie that deserves a high ranking. If a movie is divisive or complete crap then the score will reflect that.
What fanboys as a group thinks isn't very relevant either. What is relevant is what you think yourself. My point is that some people get far too upset about that the average opinion of a group doesn't reflect their own.

Most movies I like are rated fresh, but just because it agrees with me doesn't mean that I lay more importance to the method.

As for Thor, I just don't feel that that's the kind of concept that is likely to get a really high score, even if it's very well executed. Things like Rotten Tomatoes is affected not only by execution but of choice of genre and themes. I don't think all will be on board with the kind of mix that Thor brings.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #31
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
What fanboys as a group thinks isn't very relevant either. What is relevant is what you think yourself. My point is that some people get far too upset about that the average opinion of a group doesn't reflect their own.

Most movies I like are rated fresh, but just because it agrees with me doesn't mean that I lay more importance to the method.

As for Thor, I just don't feel that that's the kind of concept that is likely to get a really high score, even if it's very well executed. Things like Rotten Tomatoes is affected not only by execution but of choice of genre and themes. I don't think all will be on board with the kind of mix that Thor brings.
Of course your personal assessment matters the most to you and it should.

But a consensus, as indicated by box office and RT score, can increase the chances of a sequel.

If people love the movie you like there will be more movies that cater to your taste put into production. So it does matter what others think.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #32
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:

Are you saying Thor and Thor 2 deserve to be considered classics based on a Thor fan's criteria?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #33
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Of course your personal assessment matters the most to you and it should.

But a consensus, as indicated by box office and RT score, can increase the chances of a sequel.

If people love the movie you like there will be more movies that cater to your taste put into production. So it does matter what others think.
Financial success is of course what decides the future but that's rarely what's being discussed when people complain about Rotten Tomatoes. They complain about that the reviewers don't think like they do.

Quote:
Are you saying Thor and Thor 2 deserve to be considered classics based on a Thor fan's criteria?
No, I said that the themes of Thor is the kind that probably won't cater to every reviewer. Most people will find some genres of movies to be bad, regardless of how good a work is within that genre. Personally I'm very disinterested in splatter horror, not very fond of musicals etc. Luckily I'm not a reviewer so I can decide for myself what to watch.

What's a classic isn't at all derived from an RT score. I can find plenty of movies with higher RT scores than some real classics. But again, what constitutes a classic is some kind of average opinion among many people and is therefor not that important imo.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 10-23-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #34
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Financial success is of course what decides the future but that's rarely what's being discussed when people complain about Rotten Tomatoes. They complain about that the reviewers don't think like they do.
I don't think it's about wanting others to think like you.

If TDK got a rotten rating fanboys would be upset because the movie, in their opinion, deserves a better reputation.

I admit that reputation is mostly is important because it validates ones opinion but it also means the entire genre will be elevated by the public. This can have various of benefits to fans of the genre including attracting better writers and directors for future projects.

Quote:
No, I said that the themes of Thor is the kind that probably won't cater to every reviewer. Most people will find some genres of movies to be bad, regardless of how good a work is within that genre. Personally I'm very disinterested in splatter horror, not very fond of musicals etc. Luckily I'm not a reviewer so I can decide for myself what to watch.

What's a classic isn't at all derived from an RT score. I can find plenty of movies with higher RT scores than some real classics. But again, what constitutes a classic is some kind of average opinion among many people and is therefor not that important imo.
A truly great movie can transcend genre bias. Alien won over non horror and non sci-fi fans. So did The Exorcist and The Empire Strikes Back.

I think that's the ultimate test of a genre movie. Can it win over people who despise that genre while still satisfying fans.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #35
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
people say 'screw RT' only when it doesn't go their way. However, when it's in the 90's..you better believe people celebrate the rating like there's no tomorrow.
Nope.

Even when the tomatometer is right they are wrong.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #36
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

I'm pleasantly surprised it's doing well so far, I'd expect general critical consensus to reach around the first film, it's not staying in the 80's that's for sure.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #37
Moonwing
Side-Kick

I do not understand why 70+ is bad, I think its really good rating for comic book movie as it`s not piece of art or anything in marvel case it`s just a fragment of the whole picture. Only marvel movie that is worthy of it`s 90+ grade is IM (and I hate character with passion).

BTW really do not understand First Class`s 87% there is nothing special about it in my opinion.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I don't think it's about wanting others to think like you.

If TDK got a rotten rating fanboys would be upset because the movie, in their opinion, deserves a better reputation.

I admit that reputation is mostly is important because it validates ones opinion but it also means the entire genre will be elevated by the public. This can have various of benefits to fans of the genre including attracting better writers and directors for future projects.
It's certainly that because plenty of people called reviewers idiots for thinking that MoS (just continuing on my previous example) was bad even before they had seen the movie themselves.

I don't think that someone that just think it's sad that a movie doesn't get a good reputation will actually complain like the people that get upset over opinions do.

Quote:
A truly great movie can transcend genre bias. Alien won over non horror and non sci-fi fans. So did The Exorcist and The Empire Strikes Back.

I think that's the ultimate test of a genre movie. Can it win over people who despise that genre while still satisfying fans.
Some would also argue that truly great movies won't appeal to the masses because the masses don't want complex or deep stories that require something from the viewer.

I think that if you define the quality of a movie by how many people like it then you view it as a product rather than as art. I try to leave that to the bean counters at the studios.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #39
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
I do not understand why 70+ is bad, I think its really good rating for comic book movie as it`s not piece of art or anything in marvel case it`s just a fragment of the whole picture. Only marvel movie that is worthy of it`s 90+ grade is IM (and I hate character with passion).

BTW really do not understand First Class`s 87% there is nothing special about it in my opinion.
Well clearly they saw something in it that you failed to.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #40
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Well clearly they saw something in it that you failed to.
With this I do agree=). Perhaps mutant "social injustice" thing just do not resonate with me even more than ever when mixed with politics.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #41
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
the first 3rd of FC is pretty solid, Fassbender and McAvoy had great acting going on. The rating is basically based on this first 3rd of the movie.

That's my only explanation I can offer.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't take any of them seriously. If you like it you like it.
I mean I didn't find Green lantern or MoS THAT horrible. I enjoyed both as a non fan.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #43
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I agree with the tomato meter around 80% of the time.

So while I don't treat ratings like Holy Scripture, I do pay attention to them.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #44
Rock Sexton
Banned User

This thread has morphed into a tea sipping party ....

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #45
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
the first 3rd of FC is pretty solid, Fassbender and McAvoy had great acting going on. The rating is basically based on this first 3rd of the movie.

That's my only explanation I can offer.
Or the majority liked the movie and thought that it was really good, there's always that.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
ctsketch
Side-Kick

The GA will always have a different rating than the comic fans, and comic fans will always have a different view than the critics. Just the way it is...different demographics.

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #47
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
The GA will always have a different rating than the comic fans, and comic fans will always have a different view than the critics. Just the way it is...different demographics.
Can you give me 3 examples of superhero movies that the general audience loved that fanboys hated?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #48
Silver Surfer
Power Cosmic

Iron Man 3? Superman Returns?

Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Empire gave the film 4 out of 5 stars.

DyeLorean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #50
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Iron Man 3? Superman Returns?
Iron Man 3 , maybe.

but I wouldn't say the general audience "loved" Superman Returns.