The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #601
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
Evra seems to be checking out of MUFC when his contract is up.... For 'personal reasons'
Like that fat cheque Monaco are gonna offer him? I don't begrudge him, he's been a top player for United and has given his all for the club. I hope we don't buy Baines as his replacement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I can't remember. Before his injury was he looking like he might be as good as he is now or better/worse?
Oh he's gone up a few levels I'd say. Before the injury he looked a promising AM, now he looks the complete midfield package.

Quote:
The writing seems to be on the wall even more for Rooney if Fergie lets rips in his book and Utd don't challenge this year. Wonder where he wants to go. Would he fit into Arsenal's current system? Would he prefer Chelsea? Not sure the best clubs Madrid, Barca, Bayern would want him. Hopefully Utd use the funds (which if he continues to play well might be more than you would have got last summer) straightaway to get one or 2 solid players in.
I still see Chelsea as his most likely destination, I think Mourinho went with Eto'o on a 1 year deal as he knows Rooney will push through his transfer next summer with only a year left on his contract. Whatever we get for Rooney it's going to take substantially more to buy the players we need.

Quote:
And Januzaj really does look like he could be top class. Great news on him signing the contract. You just need a midfield now! How many years do you think VP has?
He's talked about wanting to play to Giggs age but if RvP makes it to 35 still playing at a high standard for United I'll be very pleased.

Quote:
I don't think there's been any English player with Rooney's potential at 16 that I've seen. From then if everything had gone well he could have kicked on to be in the same bracket as Ronaldo. He hasn't thrown his career away like other players of a similar mentality have but he certainly hasn't maximised his potential either. He could end up as England's highest ever scorer but he also had a lot more to his game than a Lineker which could have put him alongside the very top players.
I agree that he's not quite reached his potential for one reason or anther, I think this upcoming World Cup is huge for him, Ronaldo and Messi as regards their legacies long term, as none of them have really delivered big at an International tournament.

Quote:
Yes. But since then he hasn't taken the obvious opportunites when they have come. A confusing character for sure. I'd rather have someone else owning the club but I won't say that everything he does is bad; there are good facets to his ownership. Kinnear, Wise & Pardew in charge of the Toon at the sportsdirect.com@St_James_Park takes some coming back from though!
Not a fan of Pardew either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Possibly, though I can't see it happening. It's probably just the media stoking the fire with our two upcoming ties against Dortmund.
That's a distinct possibility knowing our media. Shame about the result tonight, I thought you were the better team from the halfway point of the first half onwards. It just shows how a team can be outplayed and then snatch a win when they have a world class striker, but a world class striker that shouldn't have been on the pitch after that deliberate elbow on Konscielny.

I was impressed with Giroud again, his all round game has really developed since last season. I also felt Dortmund really missed Gundogan in midfield tonight.

Quote:
Yeah, he looks like he's going to be something special!
I certainly hope Januzaj ushers in an era of players of his ilk a the club, and less of the Valencia and Young type.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 10-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #602
kit1982
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
I'd definitely be interested to read it given how many eras of football his careeer covers at the top level. Who gets the most stick?
As has been publicized Keane gets a pretty bad rap, Owen Hargreaves doesn't come out smelling of roses either and Fergie isn't a Chelsea fan at all. His views on Beckham are interesting. Whereas many pundits say he had average ability but made the most of it, Fergie doesn't question his ability at all, instead he thinks Becks squandered it for fame.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #603
TheFuture
Rising

Just had a look at what Ferguson had to say about Rafa and I found his digs quite pathetic tbh. To compare Rafa's time as Liverpool manager to Di Matteo's time at Chelsea is petty and quite bitter in the extreme. You never saw a more average Liverpool team? Really? That same team hammered you 4-1 in your own back yard.

It clearly still rattles him that no other Liverpool manager ever pushed him closer in the league than Rafa did (and of course, Rafa's win record against him too ).

Can't fault his criticism of Kenny's handling of the Suarez saga but to be honest, it's easy for him to say that Liverpool should have got rid. I'd love to know what he would have done in a similar situation where you are talking about your one and only world class player, where you're also struggling in the league.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #604
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
That's a distinct possibility knowing our media. Shame about the result tonight, I thought you were the better team from the halfway point of the first half onwards. It just shows how a team can be outplayed and then snatch a win when they have a world class striker, but a world class striker that shouldn't have been on the pitch after that deliberate elbow on Konscielny.

I was impressed with Giroud again, his all round game has really developed since last season. I also felt Dortmund really missed Gundogan in midfield tonight.
Yeah, I think that may be the case. Yeah, but tbf, Dortmund played some good football at times, their tactics payed off and they took their chances. I agree. Although Giroud is playing fabulosuly, I'd still like to see a WC striker brought in eventually as another option. I shudder everytime 'Better than Zlatan's' name is mentioned. Have you seen, he's trying to replicate the Great one's hair and facial hair now, lol.

I think a yellow card was pretty fair, tbh, as they said he didn't look as though he intended to tw*t him before doing so. Yeah, I was wondering where Gundogan was. Maybe we were giving him a tour of the stadium.

Quote:
I certainly hope Januzaj ushers in an era of players of his ilk a the club, and less of the Valencia and Young type.
Yeah, I agree.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #605
kit1982
Side-Kick

Tbh reading the book one thing did occur to me, that Ferguson publicly dishing the dirt on spats is in fact the most Un-Fergie thing to do. The man prided himself and the club on the privacy of these things. The timing of the book seems odd as well, surely next summer would have been a more appropriate time to release it as opposed to the infancy of Moyes OT reign?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #606
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Tbh reading the book one thing did occur to me, that Ferguson publicly dishing the dirt on spats is in fact the most Un-Fergie thing to do. The man prided himself and the club on the privacy of these things. The timing of the book seems odd as well, surely next summer would have been a more appropriate time to release it as opposed to the infancy of Moyes OT reign?
I think keeping it all private was more that he knew it was contributing to the well being of the club during his tenure. I think he always planned to release the details after his reign. Bastard was probably taking notes during all the bust ups lol, and getting his own defence ready for things like the Beckham boot incident. Releasing it now shows that the book doing well (while it's all more controversial & Utd are in mini-crisis) is more important to him than Moyes doing well. And while I'm sure he wants Utd to do well long term, I think part of him is also not too unhappy that results are bad immediately after his departure as it adds to his legend and makes the results even more Fergie-specific rather than just general Utd victories that any other top maanger could have got had they stepped in and took over.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #607
Christopher11
Newbie First Class

Looking forward to see Real Madrid vs Juventus today. I think there will be a 3-1 home victory for Real. Do you agree?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #608
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Even now, I still find this picture hillarious.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #609
Grommers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher11 View Post
Looking forward to see Real Madrid vs Juventus today. I think there will be a 3-1 home victory for Real. Do you agree?
AT least 4 goals from real madrid, there just too powerful in CL.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #610
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Like that fat cheque Monaco are gonna offer him? I don't begrudge him, he's been a top player for United and has given his all for the club. I hope we don't buy Baines as his replacement though.
You don't think Baines is good enough?

Quote:
Oh he's gone up a few levels I'd say. Before the injury he looked a promising AM, now he looks the complete midfield package.
Yeah. Still needs to mature a bit as shown by dwelling on the ball just outside his own box against Dortmund and giving away a goal that changes the whole CL group. But he has huge potential.

Quote:
I still see Chelsea as his most likely destination, I think Mourinho went with Eto'o on a 1 year deal as he knows Rooney will push through his transfer next summer with only a year left on his contract. Whatever we get for Rooney it's going to take substantially more to buy the players we need.
Will be good planning from Mourinho if that works out. Can't see Eto'o hanging around for years so it would make sense as a plan.

Quote:
He's talked about wanting to play to Giggs age but if RvP makes it to 35 still playing at a high standard for United I'll be very pleased.
How many years away is that? Lucky Januzaj has arrived as your other world class players (Evra, Rio, Rooney, Vidic?) seem to have one foot out the door for various reasons.

Quote:
I agree that he's not quite reached his potential for one reason or anther, I think this upcoming World Cup is huge for him, Ronaldo and Messi as regards their legacies long term, as none of them have really delivered big at an International tournament.
How good are Argentina at the moment? Can't see England or Portugal getting to the semi-finals so it might be difficult for Rooney & Ronaldo. Hopefuly all 3 have a top tournament.

Quote:
Not a fan of Pardew either?
He's been better than I expected, especially during that period when our scout turned up all those top players (so he shouldn't get all the credit) but he's never going to be a truly top manager.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #611
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Utd already 1-0 up tonight. Was an own goal but I missed the 1st 20 mins.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #612
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I'll get back to the other stuff later (except the Benitez stuff as I like the thread to be peaceful. ) So far Untied are playing with a bit more fluidity than we have been, but Sociedad got back into things as the half went on and look like they can pose a real threat if we don't get another goal. The ref is a joke.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #613
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I haven't really been able to concentrate on the match and also missed the 1st 20 mins but it's good to see Utd have a bit more confidence and vigour about them. Do get the feeling that this match is far from over though.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #614
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Orlando, Florida moves one step closer to being the newest MLS expansion team:

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1628

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #615
B
[insert witty comment]

Chance after chance & we just aren't killing Sociedad off..

At 1-0 this is still a dangerous game for us given there is 30 mins left, we need to take one of these chances.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #616
B
[insert witty comment]

Aww for goodness sake.. Ashley Young looks like he is coming on.. no doubt in place of Kagawa who has had an excellent 2nd half.

If he comes on for Kagawa I'm turning the game off, can't watch Ashley Young after seeing Kagawa operate with Evra.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #617
B
[insert witty comment]

Phew.. Kagawa behind Rooney, Young for Hernandez, Rooney moves up.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #618
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Pretty good performance from Utd. Deserved another goal.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #619
B
[insert witty comment]

Scoreline didn't justify how well we played in the 2nd half, we should have won 4 or 5-0

Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #620
B
[insert witty comment]

Honestly Kagawa needs to start more games, it's ridiculous that he isn't getting game time given one of the areas & problems we are having is keeping possession this term & given he is a sound passer & good mover, it amazes me he is sitting on the bench when serial ball losers like Young & Nani have more game time.

We need to try him on one flank, Januzaj on the other with Rooney marauding around behind van Persie to see what that offers us creative wise.

Also Jones looked solid tonight. For me, are starting CB's should be Vidic & Jones. Ferdinand, Evans & Smalling all still have roles, however those 2 I feel provide a good balance of youth & experience.

I'm amazed we were so wasteful tonight in front of goal, Rooney, Kagawa, Valencia, Hernandez all missed or wasted good chances to kill that game off by about the 60th minute.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #621
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Much better performance tonight, Rooney, Kagawa and Giggs were great in attack and I thought the Evans and Jones partnership looked strong in defense.

The big cocnern is lack of finishing that saw us allow the game to drag on when it should have been killed off as a contest. The other thing is that I don't think a Carrick and Giggs partnership would survive against a top team, yet worryingly it's the best we have looked in midfield this season.

Quote:
Yeah, I think that may be the case. Yeah, but tbf, Dortmund played some good football at times, their tactics payed off and they took their chances. I agree. Although Giroud is playing fabulosuly, I'd still like to see a WC striker brought in eventually as another option. I shudder everytime 'Better than Zlatan's' name is mentioned. Have you seen, he's trying to replicate the Great one's hair and facial hair now, lol.

I think a yellow card was pretty fair, tbh, as they said he didn't look as though he intended to tw*t him before doing so. Yeah, I was wondering where Gundogan was. Maybe we were giving him a tour of the stadium.
They certainly sat back to hit on the counter and it did pay off, but I felt they really were under the thumb for most of the second half. I can certainly understand not wanting Bendtner as a back-up as he's awful, but if you buy another top striker it becomes hard for you to play Wenger's preferred system and keep everyone happy, look at how we are struggling to play a modern style and accommodate Rooney and RvP.

Gotta disagree there mate, Lewandowski is crafty and I think it was an intential shot, if Konscielny makes a meal of it insatead of just holding his face then he rightfully gets sent off IMO, kinda plays into the mindset of some that back players making the most of situations. Lol, Gundogan is injured actually.

Quote:
Even now, I still find this picture hillarious.

This is ripe for thought bubble manips!

Quote:
You don't think Baines is good enough?
Oh I think Baines is very good, but by the time we bought him he'd be close to 30, I'd rather we went for Contreao or Luke Shaw.

Quote:
Yeah. Still needs to mature a bit as shown by dwelling on the ball just outside his own box against Dortmund and giving away a goal that changes the whole CL group. But he has huge potential.
Oh there is room to grow for sure, and I think VP mentioned that Wenger felt positionally he needs to improve defensively, but the attributes for a great CM are all there.

Quote:
Will be good planning from Mourinho if that works out. Can't see Eto'o hanging around for years so it would make sense as a plan.
Yeah, I'd say Eto'o will likely be a one season only thing, and I can't see Rooney's fences being mended at Untied.

Quote:
How many years away is that? Lucky Januzaj has arrived as your other world class players (Evra, Rio, Rooney, Vidic?) seem to have one foot out the door for various reasons.
RvPis just turned 30. Yeah we need to add some really top quality in the summer or we will fall behind to a point where things will become very difficult to overturn.

Quote:
How good are Argentina at the moment? Can't see England or Portugal getting to the semi-finals so it might be difficult for Rooney & Ronaldo. Hopefuly all 3 have a top tournament.
Argentina have looked uncertain when I've seen them, I think the coaches they have had don't know quite how to use Messi as Barca's team is built around him and it's harder to do that with an International set up.

Quote:
He's been better than I expected, especially during that period when our scout turned up all those top players (so he shouldn't get all the credit) but he's never going to be a truly top manager.
Do you think he overestimated his own level after that one really good season that got him the silly 7 year contract?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #622
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Why isn't Ibrahimovic ever in those Player of the Year or even Ballon D'Or conversations?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #623
kit1982
Side-Kick

Darth mate, you just read my mind, for those who haven't seen them yet Zlatan's 4 goals from tonight....check out the hattrick strike!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #624
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Great goals.

Maybe he loses out to the likes of Ronaldo on consistency & always looking like a lazy bastard!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #625
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Darth mate, you just read my mind, for those who haven't seen them yet Zlatan's 4 goals from tonight....check out the hattrick strike!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
If he gets Sweden past Portugal and into the WC, he has to be in that conversation doesn't he?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Closed Thread