Bruce Banner
Functional, but hammered.

Default Re: Confession is good for the Hype. - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harls View Post
Sucky. I wonder why they say that.

And I know! I'm here now!
^awesome

I think they say it because I'm a little aloof and jaded. I'm a little too cautious about getting close to people. Lots of friends, I just never reveal vulnerable details. Feel safer that way.

avy by Kane52630
Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #277
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I've been casually seeing my high school crush lately. Which in it's own way is cool. but still seven years late so the euphoria has worn off.

She said the other day that that she believes I'm incapable of relationships. That I would leave and run for the hills at any signs of potential trouble.

It's kind of funny to know I'm labeled too broken to date among my peers at this point in my mid twenties.
What the eff does "trouble" mean in that context?

That's great, hearing that from someone you're dating. At least you know where you stand with her.

And I know some uber-flakey people who are in long-term relationships, so that's possible. Unless they're referring to something else.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #278
Harls
It's an L, not an I

Well BB, I think I lot of people are that way. Especially slightly more introverted people or people who have been harmed before in the past. I certainly don't reveal vulnerabilities to the general public because that's just who I am. So, you're not alone in this. Maybe she and you are two sides of a different leaf.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #279
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
^awesome

I think they say it because I'm a little aloof and jaded. I'm a little too cautious about getting close to people. Lots of friends, I just never reveal vulnerable details. Feel safer that way.
You know, I've been with my husband for 5 years now, and I still learn new things about him and the details of his past.

Just because they don't know all of your dirty secrets doesn't mean they can't care about you, or love you. That doesn't mean you're incapable of relationships.

And with someone you're dating telling you're incapable of relationships, no wonder why you're jaded.

If you ditch people when they're in trouble, or judge them, that's a major sign that you're incapable of relationships. But anything else is really just superficial, dumb reasons.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #280
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I sometimes view this place as great practice for when I get a more high-profile, most likely mid-profile lol (but, no complaining), on IMDB. "We hate him!" "You suck!" "Rot in hell!" Every person's IMDB page is filled with people who hate them for what they do. So, ironically, having some posters on here who hate me for the same reason is really good practice getting used to those beliefs.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #281
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #282
Anubis
Sup?

That guy is so far up his own ass he can make out the color of that hotwheel he swallowed when he was 2.

Last edited by Anubis; 10-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #283
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
Some posters, not all, have blatantly told me how upset they are over me stating who I know and worked for. Hell they bring it up out of the blue and randomly sometimes even. Thry carry this with them in every board and when its not even brought up. And I'm pretty sure the poster above might be one of them. As said, I just view it/them as nothing more than practice. Not the only one who sees this, because others have brought it up in private messenging because they're not comfortable about stating it otherwise.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-24-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #284
Bruce Banner
Functional, but hammered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harls View Post
Well BB, I think I lot of people are that way. Especially slightly more introverted people or people who have been harmed before in the past. I certainly don't reveal vulnerabilities to the general public because that's just who I am. So, you're not alone in this. Maybe she and you are two sides of a different leaf.
I think we are too different myself. I guess I've mainly enjoyed her company since it has a surreal quality to it because I'm now doing what I didn't do years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

If you ditch people when they're in trouble, or judge them, that's a major sign that you're incapable of relationships. But anything else is really just superficial, dumb reasons.
That I am quite guilty of sadly, the judgmental aspect that is. I don't do it do have a sense of superiority over them. I do do it as a means to assess how much potential harm they can do or how uncomfortable of a position than can put me in.

avy by Kane52630
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #285
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I grew up with a slight speech impediment that I used to be made fun of all the time because of. It's gone now, to the point where it sounds like I'm British for some weird reason lol. I think I sound like agent Fitz on SHIELD haha. But, another side of me remembers when it did sound like an impediment and a part of me asks, "is she just being nice to me because she has sympathy for me?" On a logical scale it makes no sense, but on the emotional level it still does. Don't know how to say this without possibly sounding offensive but afraid they view me as mentally retarded because of it - although everyone just thinks I'm british (when I get anything, I get that). Or that their life is so terrible, I must be the only one they have open to them, which then makes me back away due to being a last resort.
omg I have a speech problem and I get English a lot! Hell, a Russian woman thought I was Russian onc, or maybe Eastern European! I get all kinds of stuff....English, Russian, European. I no longer really care...I used too, but I just accepted I either won't sound American or I don't have a desire to put in the effort to sound American.

One time a woman thought I was deaf or retarded lol

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #286
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I've actually thought about going with it. Babes love British guys, but unsure what I would do if I got caught in the lie lol.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #287
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
I've actually thought about going with it. Babes love British guys, but unsure what I would do if I got caught in the lie lol.

I just now tell people it's how I talk and they can figure out the rest lol. Or I thank them if they say they like my voice.

go ahead with the lie. Lying is good.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #288
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you don't mind me saying, I think it's a terrific ice-breaker. When women ask whether you're a Brit, just tell them the truth. You'd get at least a smile out of it.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #289
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
That I am quite guilty of sadly, the judgmental aspect that is. I don't do it do have a sense of superiority over them. I do do it as a means to assess how much potential harm they can do or how uncomfortable of a position than can put me in.
The ditching is worse. My hubs has a habit of judging certain people (I'm trying to teach him otherwise, but it's a process) but he's never judged me. That's the part I mean.

Judging people usually means they don't want to be around you in the first place (ie be your friend), but judging your partner means the relationship is starting on the wrong foot to begin with. It means you're trying to exert control over them, and they're going to fight back in some shape or form.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #290
ComicChick
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Some posters, not all, have blatantly told me how upset they are over me stating who I know and worked for. Hell they bring it up out of the blue and randomly sometimes even. Thry carry this with them in every board and when its not even brought up. And I'm pretty sure the poster above might be one of them. As said, I just view it/them as nothing more than practice. Not the only one who sees this, because others have brought it up in private messenging because they're not comfortable about stating it otherwise.

i think if you stopped bringing it up randomly and out of the blue as well, that people would be less likely to comment on it. sometimes you, for lack of a better phrase "name drop" it in conversations that it is completely irrelevant in.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #291
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i think if you stopped bringing it up randomly and out of the blue as well, that people would be less likely to comment on it. sometimes you, for lack of a better phrase "name drop" it in conversations that it is completely irrelevant in.
I only bring it up in confession and happy threads - it's a huge part of my life, others mention their lives and I'll freely mention mine. I haven't brought it up even once elsewhere outside of saying that I wrote a film about Columbine high school. HOWEVER, another poster DID bring it up out of the blue in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with it without me even mentioning it all. As said, I've just come to view those people as practice because, really, that's all they're good for.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #292
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

I remember someone bragging about their movie connections in a thread down in the Misc Movies forum a few months ago but I can't remember who since I don't really pay attention to that kind of self importance.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #293
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I was promoting a film that a friend of mine was either a director, writer, or cast member of in hopes that I might be able to add some viewers to it. And it needed it - the film flopped hard at box office. I don't call that bragging, I call it trying to help a friend. If someone saw it as bragging - i have no idea what to say to that - to me it's just a job like any other, and what level of importance someone else places on it all comes down to them - not me. Also, with promoting I didn't even post that I knew someone behind it at first - I just tried heavily marketing it; so others pointed out that I was connected when I was trying to hide that (if I was doing it to brag - don't you think I would have state that up-front instead of waiting for someone to call me out on it forcing me to come out with it?). It's the same thing as "you want us to guess, you're playing a guessing game by not telling us!" - no, I want to maintain some semblance of anonymity (meaning: I don't want people to guess: I want to be hidden).

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #294
ComicChick
SHH! Global Moderator

if you want to keep your anonymity, don't bring it up lol
you can talk about your job and what you do, without mentioning all the connections and people you know, without actually mentioning them.

honestly, if i didn't want people to know i was a high class supermodel, the first thing i would do is never talk about it.

as for the movie of your friend's, nothing at all wrong with supporting a friend. had you said that from the get-go i bet you would've actually gotten a much more positive response. so i hope in the future should the opportunity arise, that's the way you would approach it rather than the way you did.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #295
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Sometimes the connections matter, or add more background to it, for example what I stated about writing something with Liam Neeson in mind and how that's possible. People can't figure out who I know from what I stated, but they can have some sense of an idea of what direction I'm coming from and it did come up. That kind of anonymity. Not complete. Just not he's John Doe over at Fox who knows so-and-so, but of an entity with no big signifiers.

The third part, as said, should have mentioned it from the start. But it's near impossible to call that bragging since I tried to keep that in the dark and hidden. If it was bragging -- I would have said that up-front. I can see how somebody could take what I said I was "happy" about as bragging - not meant to be bragging, just something in my life I'm really happy about. But, unsure how someone could take that from the most recent thing in misc. films which was the promoting where I was, more or less, forced to say that I indeed knew someone. If I wanted to brag, I would have stated it - not be forcefully outed lol.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-25-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #296
ComicChick
SHH! Global Moderator

fwiw i didn't consider it bragging.

maybe its just me, but the connections don't matter to me in the context of the story. we have a lot of comic artists, writers and members in the film industry here, any mod can confirm. and many of them prefer to not bring these things up or namedrop who they are working with, which is totally fine

your stories and posts are far better and more interesting when you leave those things out imo

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #297
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Teelie mentioned bragging I did in misc. films, the last thing I did - months ago was promoting the film - which Teelie somehow saw as bragging. Despite it having to be dragged out of me lol. I don't know how trying to keep the connections there secret equals bragging... but, that was all going toward Teelie. That could be interpreted from me writing what I'm happy about, when it wasn't intended that way. Unsure how the film promotion was since I tried to hide that...

I just bring it up when it's connected to something now or if somebody's wondering something about a certain project that I know some things about (ie. Wonder Woman (might need to search, but I got you guys some info). For example, the Liam Neeson post. Without all of the background, a poster seemed confused. With it, it became clearer and more understandable. Outside of that, happy/confession/writer's, don't really see any reason to bring it up (kinda widely known, some in a really positive light others in a "rot in hell!" light and others, really cool, neutral light) if it isn't something I'm ecstatic about going on in my personal life.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-25-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #298
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

What I see as bragging is trying to use your status as a "hollywood insider" to some kind of higher standard you use above others. Before now I hadn't even thought of it but since you so convienently brought up your own secret... yeah, it's bragging.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #299
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

As said, and I've said since the beginning MONTHS ago, I don't view myself as above anyone. I'm a writer. I have no idea why we're made into celebrities or why we get tons of money. If it was me, Shakespeare's time made the most sense - we were the court jesters and more than common folk. There's literally hundreds of other careers that are more noble and serving of the world around us. We should be honoring -- teachers, firemen, policemen, psychologists, lawyers, wardens, nurses, the list goes on and on. THESE are the people who should be given attention. I'm a crazy man with a pen. Others are helping and saving lives. Yet the man who mentions that he has the pen is the one with the bragging rights? Why???

It's not a secret. I share my life just like the next man shares his, I won't be held back because of some delicate tendencies to get jealous easily. Because in my view, there's absolutely nothing to be jealous of. If you want to be jealous? Be jealous of the man mentioning that he's a cop or that he's a firefighter or etc. Don't be jealous of the guy who mentions that he has a pen. Maybe in this screwed up Hollywoodized world we live in - that means something, when really - it shouldn't at all.

People who carry other baggage with that has absolutely nothing to do with me and their views are not my fault, because their views on its importance is quite clearly completely contradictory to that of my own. Basically all I do is mention my experiences and people that I know -- I view these people as equal to the person sitting across from me in a subway car. Yeah, I say things like mentor and "it's awesome that I know so and so because they can get me ahead." But, in all honesty how is that any different from any other job out there? EVERY job has a mentor and EVERY job you're lucky if you know the people who can get you to that next level. So, yeah, I am lucky to know them in that capacity. But, so is the next guy at his own job with who he knows. As said, the level of importance someone places on this isn't up to me to decide. Find one place I've ever said "above others," you'll see that you are bringing your own beliefs and baggage to the table with that. To you the pen means something, to me it just means I'm a court jester.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 10-25-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #300
SuperFerret
Class Act

I confess that until just now I did not know about Ultimatehero's work in the film field. I just don't look upon him favorably because of his condescending attitude. There's some practice for you.

Closed Thread