The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #101
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

I hope not, i don't want these films to get as stupidly confusing to new comers as some of the comics characters have become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #102
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I do. lol.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #103
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I hope not, i don't want these films to get as stupidly confusing to new comers as some of the comics characters have become.
They're not changing it, no matter how much of the (vocal minority) fans whine and complain....especially after it made a billion bucks at the BO.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #104
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

The twist brings a strange reaction from me, when watching the movie, I think it totally works, but when the movie ends, and the twist comes into my head again, it really grates on me. I cant work it out, this has happened with every viewing of the movie for me as well.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #105
Lord
All Mighty

I dislike the twist too but i lost that reaction months ago, now i just embrace Killian as the Mandarin of the MCU

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #106
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Oh I embrace it too, and there are worse things in the movie than the twist, its just strange that it garners that reaction from me personally.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #107
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I still hate it but I give respect to Feige and Marvel Studios for their testicular fortitude in trying to take chances. I do NOT credit Black much though since it seems to me that here we had another Raimi/Venom scenario. He didn't like the character and so wanted to change him to suit his whim. He's a one time director for the MCU who's gonna move on to other things and this film was about as guaranteed a hit before it even opened as you can get. He doesn't have to stick around and deal with the fall out and he didn't put nearly as much on the line as someone like Feige did, who WILL be sticking around.

About the best I can credit Black with is the ability to successfully sell Feige on the idea, kinda like when Favs sold him on casting RDJ back in the first film. Well, the longer you roll the dice the greater the chances of snake eyes.

With proper execution, ANY movie idea can work.
kedrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #108
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

What about Kingsley's comments about returning to Marvel? Are they giving into the backlash?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #109
Lord
All Mighty

Backlash of a film that got them 1 billion dollars?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #110
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

So hear me out...

What about this scenario?

Kingsley reprises his role as Trevor Slattery in the next Marvel One-Shot. In it, we find that Trevor couldn't keep his mouth shut about AIM and Killian's secrets and spilled all the beans he had for a plea deal...which forced AIM to go underground. He's free and drugging it up as best he can. He's also loving the fame and notoriety. He pretty much always wears his full Mandarin outfit and enjoys giving terrifying "Mandarin" speeches to TV cameras. But soon, he thinks more people are watching him than just the American media and he gets increasingly paranoid...a fact of which the media is taking advantage of as they are getting greats ratings from video taping his even more bizarre paranoid behavior.

But we find that Trevor is indeed not paranoid. AIM henchmen find and corner him. But they don't kill him. Out of the shadows appears a cloaked figure. Killian is alive...and most displeased with the secrets that he has spilled to the authorities. Killian states that Trevor was only useful for his anonymity, of which Trevor now has none.

Killian says to Trevor that he "created him" and now he will destroy him. With that, he kills Trevor. While looking at the drunken actor's dead body, he remarks that he had at least admired Trevor's "style"...and proceeds to remove the ten rings off of Trevor's hands and place them on his own fingers one by one...

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #111
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

At least you aren't trying to retcon Trevor into the Mandarin.

Although I would totally love for Pearce to return, and anything with Trevor will be gold.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #112
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Really hoping people drop that stupid theory because it'll never happen
Really hoping I don't live in denial for too long waiting it for it to happen

Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #113
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

If Blandy McBlanderson returns then I surely will begin to lose hope.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #114
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
So hear me out...

What about this scenario?

Kingsley reprises his role as Trevor Slattery in the next Marvel One-Shot. In it, we find that Trevor couldn't keep his mouth shut about AIM and Killian's secrets and spilled all the beans he had for a plea deal...which forced AIM to go underground. He's free and drugging it up as best he can. He's also loving the fame and notoriety. He pretty much always wears his full Mandarin outfit and enjoys giving terrifying "Mandarin" speeches to TV cameras. But soon, he thinks more people are watching him than just the American media and he gets increasingly paranoid...a fact of which the media is taking advantage of as they are getting greats ratings from video taping his even more bizarre paranoid behavior.

But we find that Trevor is indeed not paranoid. AIM henchmen find and corner him. But they don't kill him. Out of the shadows appears a cloaked figure. Killian is alive...and most displeased with the secrets that he has spilled to the authorities. Killian states that Trevor was only useful for his anonymity, of which Trevor now has none.

Killian says to Trevor that he "created him" and now he will destroy him. With that, he kills Trevor. While looking at the drunken actor's dead body, he remarks that he had at least admired Trevor's "style"...and proceeds to remove the ten rings off of Trevor's hands and place them on his own fingers one by one...
That would be pretty damn good , would love to see this.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #115
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Well if Kingsley is actually the Mandarin ... that would be awesome

" And you'll never see me coming "

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #116
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post

Yeah, I suggested that in a different thread. He is the Mandarin pretending to be someone pretending to be the Mandarin. It would make Ra's al Ghul look like an amateur of deception.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #117
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I'd be better with that than leaving Pierce as the Mandarin.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #118
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I sometimes wish that they'd picked a different actor to play Trevor in IM3. Not because I don't think Kingsley was perfect in the role (He was absolutely amazing!), but because fans got so attached to the notion of him being the ACTUAL Mandarin that now they can't let it go.

They go from bashing Trevor's drunken goofiness to wishing that he was actually a double-twist villain mastermind behind IM3. I mean...come on. I've seen a lot of fan absurdity over the years...but I think this whole notion of "Trevor was terrible/Trevor would make a great Mandarin/the twist was horrible/there should be more twists" among some fans really takes the cake...

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #119
Lord
All Mighty

That would be kind of bad. I dislike the twist, but i'd ratter get Killian as the mandarin than make Trevor the true Mandarin now.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #120
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post

I'm betting on this.

Seriously guys, the Ten Rings connection was NEVER explained, but very clearly established.

And unless Marvel, and Shane Black, are just that incompetent (they aren't), something like that doesn't get left lingering unless its leading to something significant.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #121
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

RDJ is not signed on for IM4 at this time. Why would they retcon their big twist of IM3 afterward, when the chances of a RDJ IM4 are very slim? It would just confuse people. I'm not a fan of the Trevor was a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude idea. They had their vision of the Mandarin. It was Killian. Just stick with it and move on. Besides, the One-Shot's have not done anything all the "relevant" in them. Seriously, they just explained why Abomination wasn't an Avengers (in order to retcon 1 after creds scene), Coulson fought some thugs, some bank robbers had a weapon, and Peggy kicked the crap out of some dudes. Chances are this will be an isoloated film and nothing that NEEDS to be seen (much like the others).

I think people not pleased with the twist are grasping at straws.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #122
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I'm betting on this.

Seriously guys, the Ten Rings connection was NEVER explained, but very clearly established.

And unless Marvel, and Shane Black, are just that incompetent (they aren't), something like that doesn't get left lingering unless its leading to something significant.
The Ten Rings were never used by name in IM2. You can easily say the Ten Rings was the terrorist cell that Stane effectively destroyed in IM1. Problem solved, and likely much easier than explaining some convoluted plan of pretending Trevor was the Mandarin but he wasn't but now he is. There is no point in doing this, especially when IM4 likely wont happen until after Avengers 3, and with a new Iron Man at that.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #123
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I personally would prefer neither Trevor nor Killian to really have ever been the real Mandarin. The real Mandarin having never shown up in this movie at all is the way I'd go. Just make him some urban legend connected to the 10 Rings which Killian and his think tank appropriated for their schemes. Then later you can do the Mandarin right/justice. Simple.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #124
Nathan

I'm all for that.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #125
OcStat
Side-Kick

The Mandarin is done, it makes no sense to convolute the film and potential sequels to satisfy a very loud but small group of irritated fans. If Kingsley is coming back as Trevor, then let him be Trevor. The only character he played in the film, and played well at that.

+1 for Spider-Fan's Tropic Thunder reference.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote