The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #401
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
Hmmm. First pole dancing (in Thor). Now a super high kick with those loooooong legs (poor Thor, though). Methinks Loki should have been a Rockette and/or an exotic dancer.
Personally, I thought more Soccer (or Football for those across the pond) with that kick *lol*

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #402
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

It is a nice kick isn't it

He has a spring in his step with it. Cha cha cha!

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #403
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
Hmmm. First pole dancing (in Thor). Now a super high kick with those loooooong legs (poor Thor, though). Methinks Loki should have been a Rockette and/or an exotic dancer.
When he was promoting Thor in a press junket chat, Tom did say if he was a sex changed Loki he'd want to pole dance.

- I always defend the honor of people I consider friend material.

- I refuse to be just an option. It's either a real relationship or I walk away.

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #404
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlet View Post
Haha, I saw that picture online. The combination of that line and Loki's face in the drawing was classic combination of kid in the time out room.
Yeah but what's funnier is you have every other main Character in that book (Warriors of the Realm) with alittle blurb like that, and two or three paragrahs about the character, even Malekith, kurse and the Darkelves! lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #405
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Can we get a scan of that page from the Thor Dark World kids' book?

- I always defend the honor of people I consider friend material.

- I refuse to be just an option. It's either a real relationship or I walk away.

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself." -Charles de Gaulle
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #406
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

New clip with some banter between Thor & Loki:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #407
Loki882
Side-Kick

They have such great chemistry. "Well done, you just decapitated your grandfather." That's a great line.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #408
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Who'd have thought Loki was such a back-seat driver?

ItsMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #409
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's an established fact that Loki loves the sound of his own voice. He is incapable of shutting the Hell up no matter the situation.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #410
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Well, one of his kennings is Silver-tongue.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #411
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thank goodness I'm such a lady; otherwise this clip would have made me pee my pants.

LadyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #412
voyzovrezon
nobody's fool

"Thank you for the commentary Loki. It's not at all distracting!"

Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #413
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyzovrezon View Post
"Thank you for the commentary Loki. It's not at all distracting!"
"I think you missed a column-"
"Shut up!"

Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #414
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

"Well done, you've just decapitated your grandfather."

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #415
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #416
ItsMadness
Side-Kick

Heh, I wondered why the first trailer showed a ship crashing into an Asgardian tower. Was the pilot dead or something? Did it get attacked and stop working?

...nope. Thor's driving.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #417
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Can we get a scan of that page from the Thor Dark World kids' book?
CRUD I forgot to scan it!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #418
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
If you inserted any cockpit banter from any Star Wars movie, you'd think that was the original clip,lol

Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #419
Moonwing
Side-Kick

BTW the writer of new Loki series said that Loki now officially bi cam out of nowhere really and look like fandom pandering to me. We will see thought.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #420
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
BTW the writer of new Loki series said that Loki now officially bi cam out of nowhere really and look like fandom pandering to me. We will see thought.
Okay, to go off topic to the comics a bit, Loki was always the slightly odd duck, more effeminate than the rest of the manly-man pantheon, even if he's misogynist and wishing to assert his masculinity. He was willing to steal a woman's body and saunter around in that being glamorous, too. So the news that he'll be shapeshifting sex in this series isn't such a shock. And he seemed a bit flirty towards men in that "female" body too (even with Balder, ew Loki). Who knows, maybe his "bisexuality" will just be flirting with dudes to get what he wants whilst in that form.

As for "came out of nowhere", there was a time, a very long homophobic time, when no character was written to have same-gender interests. Some fans who have followed more of his story than mine say there was some hints at it (and certainly it's villains who tend to get saddled with non-masculine-hetero traits). Loki is in a new, teenage body, having spent time with young, queer, modern, humans, and he's hellbent on change, so I don't find it too unprecedented that he might be more interested in sex. And we all know that a) sexuality is fluid b) not all bisexuals are always with both/all genders all the time, right? c) sexuality =/= personality

Arguing that (because of homophobia), long running characters weren't explicitly shown to be queer before, and now are in less homophobic times, therefore they shouldn't be now, is an argument I have little patience with, especially as we haven't even seen how the story is handled. It's not like anyone's claiming Loki isn't still interested in women, though sometimes that change happens in real life.

Fanservice? Something else I notice when queer elements are introduced, how much people say things like this, or "politically correct" or "gratuitous" or "clumsy" or "obtrusive" or "unrealistic" or "disservice to the plotline and characters". This is singling out this one thing for attention and criticism, as if queerness is not something that is as natural and common as breathing. It's not a "special" thing, it's just a fact of life that has been deliberately and egregiously omitted in fiction until recently, and still gets singled out by well-meaning liberals as a being bit kinkier and rarefied or as some put it thinking they're not homophobic, "hip". Excuse me.

Unlike the wank fantasies that are most superhero comics for men, Marvel are obviously trying to do one for women, I mean how many times can you shove the word "sexy" into an interview. They admitted they're inspired by Hiddleston's movie Loki. They want some of that fangirl money. Let's look at Thor: The Dark World. In how many ways are they using fanservice to sell to audiences? Oh, they made Thor hot. They took his top off again. They introduced comic relief via Darcy. Jane's the romantic old-fashioned sort to conveniently be the damsel to the hero. Let's put her in danger. Let's put in some really big explosions. Yeah, and some heads really getting kicked in. Loki's popular so let's focus a bit more on him. Let's have a human audience identifier and make her the fish out of water this time. I'm yet to read anyone complaining that the deliberate inclusion of fan-pleasing elements will automatically make the in-universe seem pandery and false (except where Loki for Teh Fangirls is concerned).

So I'd rather see the actual comic, and see how this new, teenage, super-spy, "sexy" Loki carries himself, before criticising it as contrived and "hip".

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #421
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post

So I'd rather see the actual comic, and see how this new, teenage, super-spy, "sexy" Loki carries himself, before criticising it as contrived and "hip".
I do not like the quotes from writer about this comic so I do not get my hopes high. It`s all sound like fan service for tumblr crowd: "big, dumb, jock of a brother Thor", "sexy Loki", "bi Loki", "redemption-but-not-redemption", "he is sooo cooool I cant call him a villain", "booty shots!", "he loves humans now just as his brother!". I give you that he is probably purposely exaggerate things and we have to look and see what come out of it but I am wary. So I am not against this as a fact I just want a somehow more subtle and elegant approach because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real.

Last edited by Moonwing; 10-24-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #422
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

In mythology Loki is the mother of Sleipnir so there's plenty of precedence for all sorts of weird sexuality. Far weirder than what seemed to chock some posters a few weeks ago.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #423
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
I do not like the quotes from writer about this comic so I do not get my hopes high. It`s all sound like fan service for tumblr crowd: "big, dumb, jock of a brother Thor", "sexy Loki", "bi Loki", "redemption-but-not-redemption", "he is sooo cooool I cant call him a villain", "booty shots!", "he loves humans now just as his brother!". I give you that he is probably purposely exaggerate things and we have to look and see what come out of it but I am wary. So I am not against this as a fact I just want a somehow more subtle and elegant approach because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real.
"because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real"
I'm sorry, are you confusing queer sexuality with incest? Because maybe you are joking, but we have seen absolutely NOTHING from the author to indicate incest, and it's really dodgy of you to draw that inference.

He's joking about the jock thing. Jeezus louise. He's talking from Loki's point of view. I thought that was really obvious. Yes, he's exaggerating, lying, provoking the reader, and considering he says he identifies strongly with Loki, I'm going to guess it's his personality. And that it's a really good trait to be writing a trickster. Are these actual quotes from Al Ewing? Because maybe you've read an article I haven't, but I think it's likely you're putting your own paraphrasing on it, and that's really not what I think he said. He's talked about guilt. Lots and lots of guilt. Bring on the guilt, say I. From what I've read from Ewing I think there's going to be quite a lot of darkness in this series. Loki trying to change, and failing, and trying again, because he's self-destructive and bitter and selfish. But also charming and joking, and I think, as a spy, good chances he'll be subtle and elegant.

How much we could talk about the genderedness of the criticism "fan service for the tumblr crowd". But I've already said enough on why I think that's a ridiculous criticism for a series that hasn't even come out yet.

Here's hoping Ewing follows through, anyway.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #424
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
In mythology Loki is the mother of Sleipnir so there's plenty of precedence for all sorts of weird sexuality. Far weirder than what seemed to chock some posters a few weeks ago.
Most modern adaptations of Loki I've read seem to have some kind of non-normative gendersex thing going on, and in the myths he was definitely what the Norse would have called argr (unmanly), though Loki pointed out that Odin wasn't exactly the manliest of men either. They both lived as women for a time, apparently. There's also some interesting scholarly analysis of the fragments of myths that survive that address evidence pointing to Loki and Odin being lovers. Male-on-male sex wasn't actually disallowed in Norse society, and the "giving" partner had his masculinity in no way compromised. Vikings often raped their vanquished male foes. The "receiving" partner was seen like a woman. With the advent of Christianity, male-on-male sex was consequently treated as sinful, and so scholars of myth have to sift through the written remains of the old heathen religion with an eye to the Christian bias when it was written down, often centuries later.

Male priests often cross-dressed, especially those of Odin, god of seidr. Seidr was the women's form of magic and so involved "becoming" a woman by dressing as one in order to be possessed (like being penetrated) by the magic, using techniques such as mushrooms and self-torture to effect a trance. Berserkers also used seidr to be possessed by the bear and the wolf, despite their modern macho reputation. It was all pretty tribal and strange for us. Most common men were devotees of the macho, straightforward Thor and Tyr; Odin was too scary as the god of death for most to follow specifically. Marvel's version(s) of Asgard is obviously very different to that of the Norse.

tl;dr off topic

Last edited by balanda; 10-24-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #425
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post
"because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real"
I'm sorry, are you confusing queer sexuality with incest? Because maybe you are joking, but we have seen absolutely NOTHING from the author to indicate incest, and it's really dodgy of you to draw that inference.

He's joking about the jock thing. Jeezus louise. He's talking from Loki's point of view. I thought that was really obvious. Yes, he's exaggerating, lying, provoking the reader, and considering he says he identifies strongly with Loki, I'm going to guess it's his personality. And that it's a really good trait to be writing a trickster. Are these actual quotes from Al Ewing? Because maybe you've read an article I haven't, but I think it's likely you're putting your own paraphrasing on it, and that's really not what I think he said. He's talked about guilt. Lots and lots of guilt. Bring on the guilt, say I. From what I've read from Ewing I think there's going to be quite a lot of darkness in this series. Loki trying to change, and failing, and trying again, because he's self-destructive and bitter and selfish. But also charming and joking, and I think, as a spy, good chances he'll be subtle and elegant.

How much we could talk about the genderedness of the criticism "fan service for the tumblr crowd". But I've already said enough on why I think that's a ridiculous criticism for a series that hasn't even come out yet.

Here's hoping Ewing follows through, anyway.
Wording is strange to me no matter "whose point of view" they are they are modern internet language. In his MA interviews he sounds completely different.

There is a potential in this series, yes, and it will be another asgardian book for me to read but I am wary because YA already getting on my nerves sometimes with fan awareness. But it`s important for this series to reach its potential it should avoid cancellation, but I am sadly do not see it, and many other ALL NEW marvel NOW! series avoiding it in a year or so.

Incest was a joke, sure, like how far can fan-servise go, that will be the absolute top.

Last edited by Moonwing; 10-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.