Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #476
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: Voting ID and Voting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The governor of North Carolina should be investigated for civil rights violations.

There's a reason these states were on probation.
Except they're not targeting African-Americans with these laws. I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread, they're targeting blue voters. That's the motivation here, not racism.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #477
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Except they're not targeting African-Americans with these laws. I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread, they're targeting blue voters. That's the motivation here, not racism.
Irrelevant. Civil rights are civil rights. Though you're giving them the benefit of the doubt on the not targeting African-Americans. I am not.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #478
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Irrelevant. Civil rights are civil rights. Though you're giving them the benefit of the doubt on the not targeting African-Americans. I am not.
It's not benefit of the doubt. It's reality. The vast majority of people aren't mustache twirling evil-doers. They aren't thinking: "Boy, we sure do need to prevent these black people from voting," they're thinking "We need to find ways to keep our party in the majority and we need to target demographics that vote for the opposite party." It just so happens that Democrats tend to get 90% of the black vote. We wouldn't be seeing this if the African-American vote were more competitive.

I'm not saying that racism is dead, but there has been progress made in the South since Jim Crow ended. It's not like the area has been in complete and total stagnation in race relations. And it's not irrelevant. In order to intelligently attack the stupidity of voter ID laws, people should be attacking the laws on their merits (like how voter fraud really isn't a problem at all) as opposed to falsehoods to make voter ID laws sound more evilly and simplistic. I think that if the race card weren't being played so much and Eric Holder's DOJ weren't going after them for racism, we'd be seeing the opponents in voter ID laws be much more effective in fighting them.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 09-30-2013 at 10:45 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #479
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Okay it may not be racism for the sake of racism but it is racismas a means to an unfair end which is also pretty nefarious.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #480
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

You don't have to be overly malicious towards blacks to be considered racist only biased against blacks for whatever reason.

Trying to take away blacks' voting power is a bias against them.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #481
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I just don't know how they can make something so simple, so complicated. In my district, I get sent a not prior to the election at where my voting place is. When I go there, I just present them my voter card, and they look on their list and see if my name on the voter card matches a name on the list, and when it does, the check it off, hand me a ballot and they I go on my merry little way. Now, my district does also offer absentee voting (which many of the elderly and disabled will do) and early voting, but still, I can't grasp why making such a simple thing so complicated.
I just walk into my precinct and mention my name and they check the list. Once they find it, I sign my name next to the one on the list and go vote. If I am registered, I should be on the list. If not, I can't vote.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #482
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
But minorities are becoming Blue voters.Blacks,Asians,and Hispanics.And Republicans have noone to blame but themselves.They have been ailenating tons of voters.Bush would never had gotten Into white house without 40% of hispanics In 2000 and 44% of hispanics In 2004.Plus they want to make it harder for younger americans to vote too.

Hell If they could figure out who Gays were they would try to keep them from
voting too.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #483
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Statistically speaking, African Americans are more likely to vote blue, so it's kind of a distinction without a difference as far as voting demographics are concerned.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #484
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Statistically speaking, African Americans are more likely to vote blue, so it's kind of a distinction without a difference as far as voting demographics are concerned.
Except intent matters. Voter ID laws might end up getting upheld in the Supreme Court because they're not racist in intent and not intentionally racist in practice. It's vastly different to the 1960's back when people were turned away deliberately because of their skin color. And it's not like the former Jim Crow States are exclusively doing it. Even blue states like Connecticut and Delaware have some form of voter ID laws.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #485
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
But minorities are becoming Blue voters.Blacks,Asians,and Hispanics.And Republicans have noone to blame but themselves.They have been ailenating tons of voters.Bush would never had gotten Into white house without 40% of hispanics In 2000 and 44% of hispanics In 2004.Plus they want to make it harder for younger americans to vote too.

Hell If they could figure out who Gays were they would try to keep them from
voting too.
While the GOP has done a lot of alienate Hispanics, it's gotten to the point where it's a two way street between the GOP and blacks. When blacks refuse to even listen to the GOP, treat the GOP as if they're a four-letter word, and vote 90% Democratic, no sane organization is going to devote the time, effort, and resources needed to seriously court the black vote for the GOP. It's a complete and total waste. But at the same time, blacks have no reason to listen to the GOP when the GOP has implemented things like the Southern Strategy, nominated Barry Goldwater, attempted to lessen their voting strength through gerrymandering and voter ID laws, etc.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #486
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Except intent matters. Voter ID laws might end up getting upheld in the Supreme Court because they're not racist in intent and not intentionally racist in practice. It's vastly different to the 1960's back when people were turned away deliberately because of their skin color. And it's not like the former Jim Crow States are exclusively doing it. Even blue states like Connecticut and Delaware have some form of voter ID laws.
What I'm saying is that there may not be a strict distinction in the minds of people making these laws.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #487
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
What I'm saying is that there may not be a strict distinction in the minds of people making these laws.
Except there is. We don't live in the Jim Crow era anymore dude. These people aren't the cartoon version of BET from the Boondocks. I'm not saying that racism is completely dead. Racism is far from dead. But we can't just simply pretend as if an entire area and culture still acts like the Jim Crow era still existed and that absolutely no progress has been made at all. This is purely a political play to try and mitigate Democratic votes (personally, I think they're targeting youth voters more than blacks), not black votes.

And don't get me wrong. I don't support voter ID laws, they're completely pointless and there is no real evidence of massive voter fraud going on. But voter ID laws should be attacked on their merits, not inaccurate attacks intentionally designed to make voter ID laws sound evil. Intelligently arguing against voter ID laws are a far more effective way to stop them.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 10-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #488
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
While the GOP has done a lot of alienate Hispanics, it's gotten to the point where it's a two way street between the GOP and blacks. When blacks refuse to even listen to the GOP, treat the GOP as if they're a four-letter word, and vote 90% Democratic, no sane organization is going to devote the time, effort, and resources needed to seriously court the black vote for the GOP.
Here is the thing if you could turn a 90-10 into 70-30 split that is a huge gain

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #489
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Except there is. We don't live in the Jim Crow era anymore dude. These people aren't the cartoon version of BET from the Boondocks. I'm not saying that racism is completely dead. Racism is far from dead. But we can't just simply pretend as if an entire area and culture still acts like the Jim Crow era still existed and that absolutely no progress has been made at all. This is purely a political play to try and mitigate Democratic votes (personally, I think they're targeting youth voters more than blacks), not black votes.

And don't get me wrong. I don't support voter ID laws, they're completely pointless and there is no real evidence of massive voter fraud going on. But voter ID laws should be attacked on their merits, not inaccurate attacks intentionally designed to make voter ID laws sound evil. Intelligently arguing against voter ID laws are a far more effective way to stop them.
Yes, and vote 90% for a party that hasn't done anything for them...AT ALL. It boggles the mind.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #490
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yes, and vote 90% for a party that hasn't done anything for them...AT ALL. It boggles the mind.
Well Status Quo probably better then what the GOP has to offer

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #491
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Here is the thing if you could turn a 90-10 into 70-30 split that is a huge gain
But that won't happen. Like I said, it's become a two way street. There is no reason for black people to listen to the GOP for what they've done. But at the same time, no sane or rational group is going to devote resources into trying to court this demographic for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
It really doesn't. Look at the recent history of what the GOP has done to push black voters away. First they nominated Barry Goldwater, one of the very few Republicans who was against the Civil Rights Act. Then Nixon enacted the Southern Strategy. And ever since then, the GOP in state legislatures have done everything they can to mitigate the black vote through gerrymandering and voter ID laws.

I certainly agree with you that the Democrats do nothing for the black community. And it's sickening how they treat black voters, even more sickening than how the GOP treats them. But I certainly don't blame black voters for not wanting to vote Republican.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #492
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
But that won't happen. Like I said, it's become a two way street. There is no reason for black people to listen to the GOP for what they've done. But at the same time, no sane or rational group is going to devote resources into trying to court this demographic for that very reason.
Here is the thing the GOP could do nothing to court black voters and just stop doing a few other things(like dropping the rhetoric that targets poor people) to get the vote to a 80-20 split

Quote:
I certainly agree with you that the Democrats do nothing for the black community. And it's sickening how they treat black voters, even more sickening than how the GOP treats them. But I certainly don't blame black voters for not wanting to vote Republican.
The black voters will one day pull a Tea Party on the Democrats and then the Democrats will be a big mess like the Republicans are now(with everybody expecting a payday based on years of not really living up to promises)

Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #493
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
The black voters will one day pull a Tea Party on the Democrats and then the Democrats will be a big mess like the Republicans are now(with everybody expecting a payday based on years of not really living up to promises)
I actually hope that happens. Black voters really don't deserve to be treated like crap the way the Democrats do. At least the GOP is blatant in their non-interest in the black demographic. The Democrats on the other hand pretend to be friends to minority communities. Shame them to stay on the plantation. Treats them not as voters or constituents, but as a demographic. And then when push comes to shove, do absolutely nothing for them.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #494
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually hope that happens. Black voters really don't deserve to be treated like crap the way the Democrats do. At least the GOP is blatant in their non-interest in the black demographic. The Democrats on the other hand pretend to be friends to minority communities. Shame them to stay on the plantation. Treats them not as voters or constituents, but as a demographic. And then when push comes to shove, do absolutely nothing for them.
I would argue they do something for poor people which a big minority(ie I don't know if 20% or 40% would fall into that category) of black voters fall under, now could they do more for them sure.

Now on the flip side you have a party who seems to want to go out of it's way to rip stuff away from poor people and are blatant in their rhetoric

It's sort of like social conservative and the Republican party, sure the Republican party for years would throw out the odd thing here and their but did the social conservative really get anything major out of them? Seems like the past 2-3 years the social conservatives have been going crazy stateside at least

Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #495
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I'm still not buying that this isn't at least somewhat race motivated. I admit it's just a gut feeling, at this point, though.

Be hard to actually prove that.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #496
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm still not buying that this isn't at least somewhat race motivated. I admit it's just a gut feeling, at this point, though.

Be hard to actually prove that.
I think it's a case that some may say things to pander to a very small minority of people who might have racist tendencies using dog whistles but the GOP as a whole aren't racists, they just don't care what method can get them what they want. To me racist is going out of your way to hold somebody down because they may be a different race, I don't think that is the primary motivation for the GOP basically making all these laws, it's more a case they want to stop blue voters and if they happen to be a different race so be it.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #497
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/2...emocrats-butt/

Quote:
A North Carolina Republican official has been fired from the state party executive board following an appearance on The Daily Show in which he boasted about the implications of the widely-criticized voting law recently enacted by the GOP-heavy state legislature, but he refuses to apologize for his remarks.

“There’s nothing I said that I would take back. So be it,” state GOP executive committee member Don Yelton said in an interview with the Asheville Citizen-Times published on Thursday. “The activity going on across the state today proves what I said is true. The Democrats are jumping on it like flies after honey.”

In the interview, which aired Wednesday night, Yelton tells Daily Show correspondent Aasif Mandvi that the new voting law, which mandates voter identifications, the curtailing of early voting operations and does not allow college students to vote using their school ID, “is going to kick the Democrats in the butt.” He also dismisses concerns that the law will particularly affect communities of color by saying, “If it hurts a bunch of lazy Blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it.”
Basically anybody who seen the Daily show yesterday, the NC guy confirmed what most of us who think these laws are idiotic already believe(ie that the Laws main goal isn't stopping illegal voting but it's more a reason to try slow down Democrats strong holds from voting)

Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #498
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/2...emocrats-butt/

Basically anybody who seen the Daily show yesterday, the NC guy confirmed what most of us who think these laws are idiotic already believe(ie that the Laws main goal isn't stopping illegal voting but it's more a reason to try slow down Democrats strong holds from voting)
I was just about to post about that, funny stuff seeing somebody in the GOP tell it like it is. And I'm glad he stands by his remarks because it's the dang truth

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #499
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-voting-hours/

Quote:
Wisconsin Republicans move to cut early voting hours

Voters in Wisconsin would have less time to cast early ballots under a proposed bill that passed the Wisconsin Assembly on Thursday, the latest move in a nationwide string of Republican-led efforts to tighten voting rules.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #500
dnno1
Side-Kick

Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/sta...s/201401170131