The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #926
seahammer
Asgardian

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
He's slated to be on the Graham Norton show with Natalie soon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03f0gtl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
He will be in London 22th October for world premier too.
I feel like this was an "ask and ye shall receive" type of thing; thanks for all the information, you guys rock! And it's good to see that he'll be out doing things pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
Hopefully I'll be lucky and get an autograph. Be sure I'll tell you if I succeed.

Yes, I meant October *facepalm*
Good luck and have fun!

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #927
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The key word there is "in the comics." Which is to say, you have no evidence that he's anything other than Asgardian in the movie. None. And unless you can come up with a good explanation for why they would even want to add such a complication, that is almost entirely irrelevant to the likely plots they would use in future movies. . .
Every version of Thor has been Odin as father and the embodiment of the earth as his mother. That is why he is midgards protector. Jord in norse mythology, actual not comic, is Thor's biological mother, Jord is the embodiment of the earth, the norse Gaea. You have no reason to believe that this is not the case as it always has been through every incarnation of THor ever made.

mwmillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #928
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmillett View Post
Every version of Thor has been Odin as father and the embodiment of the earth as his mother. That is why he is midgards protector. Jord in norse mythology, actual not comic, is Thor's biological mother, Jord is the embodiment of the earth, the norse Gaea. You have no reason to believe that this is not the case as it always has been through every incarnation of THor ever made.
Every version of Thor has been a god, until now. He is more of an alien in the MCU as far as we can see, so I'm not sure there's a place in this 'verse for an embodiment of the earth.

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #929
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post
Every version of Thor has been a god, until now. He is more of an alien in the MCU as far as we can see, so I'm not sure there's a place in this 'verse for an embodiment of the earth.
He's no more of an alien in the MCU than he is in the comics, they just throw around the word "god" more. He's from the same place, has the same powers, wears the same clothes and hangs with the same friends, the only difference is Marvel doesn't want to offend anyone's religion in the film.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #930
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Not to mention that both in 616 and Ultimates comics there has been past doubts of what the Asgardians truely are, Gods or aliens.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #931
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Not to mention that both in 616 and Ultimates comics there has been past doubts of what the Asgardians truely are, Gods or aliens.
Exactly so it's really nothing that doesn't already happen in the comics.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #932
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
He's no more of an alien in the MCU than he is in the comics, they just throw around the word "god" more. He's from the same place, has the same powers, wears the same clothes and hangs with the same friends, the only difference is Marvel doesn't want to offend anyone's religion in the film.
I really can't imagine an actualfax Earth goddess in the MCU, but ymmv. It does seem more sci-fi to me, albeit with some individual magical powers.
Fandral refers to impressing/scaring humans by pretending to be gods.
Coulson says that Thor is not "technically" a god, and Hill agrees, with a joke.
Thor's conversation with Jane about the nine worlds puts it in a scientific context.
Loki clearly sees himself as a god amongst humans, however. But he would. Bet he loved all the "summoning of lighting and thunder".

I'm interested to see what Odin has to say about "Before the universe".

I don't think, at least in the Thor movies, that they want to play up precisely what the Asgardians are. It's more fun and relatable to think of them as somehow more-than-human rather than simply alien.

The conceit of Thor was a family drama that didn't seem to have room for all of Odin's other offspring; I'm not sure there's room for Thor having a different mother. Many things have been simplified to fit into relatively short movies for a casual audience.

The promos for the first film played up the god aspect, but the 'verse hasn't to me so far. I mean, I'm a big fan of Norse mythology and its various modern adaptations and various rationalisations for these beings in a wider world/universe; not so sure we could have something like, say, the recent comic God-bomb arc in this rationalisation. Do the movie characters have natures and fates they're bound to, as gods do?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #933
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Black Widow also said Thor and Loki "come from legend and they're basically gods" and at the end of the film Nick Fury called Thor a straight up "god".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #934
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Black Widow also said Thor and Loki "come from legend and they're basically gods" and at the end of the film Nick Fury called Thor a straight up "god".
That's right! I interpreted the first one as saying they are like gods, or might as well be gods, with the "basically" and because they're known from old stories about them. It would be very surreal to have them appear again. I can't remember the context for the second quote. I think the MCU is doing a fine job of not dissipating Thor's magic and status, whilst also not tethering Asgard to a state of actual godliness amongst humans. I do recall something in the comics about Odin's forbear creating humans; if we get a similar godly origin story in the MCU I'll be impressed. (Though one Docor Who novel has the Timelords doing that, and though they resemble the MCU Asgardians in many ways, aren't gods despite the wordplay around the concept a few seasons ago.)

It's an interesting distinction - what makes a god and not an alien? In, for example, the recent NZ show The Almighty Johnsons, the Norse gods are definitely gods. They are inextricably linked to Earth, are fed by worship/being remembered, Asgard is a different plane not planet, they are not essentially corporeal, and all have powers and natures and fates according to their purview. The 616 comics tick most or all of these boxes. I'm still not sure MCU Asgard does.

Last edited by balanda; 10-20-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #935
balanda
Side-Kick

I just watched Thor again. Thor refers to himself as "just a man" when he is vulnerable on Earth - which sort of implies a lack of godhood more than anything alien.

OTOH, Darcy and Jane's speculation "Advanced beings could have come through it before." and "A primitive culture like the Vikings might have worshipped them as deities." is more science-fiction-y.

I think Marvel are keeping it kind of ambiguous deliberately, but more science fiction than fantasy.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #936
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post
I just watched Thor again. Thor refers to himself as "just a man" when he is vulnerable on Earth - which sort of implies a lack of godhood more than anything alien.

OTOH, Darcy and Jane's speculation "Advanced beings could have come through it before." and "A primitive culture like the Vikings might have worshipped them as deities." is more science-fiction-y.

I think Marvel are keeping it kind of ambiguous deliberately, but more science fiction than fantasy.
As I've said it a few times before, it's all about perspectives, perceptions, semantics & definitions. Define "god", define "alien", define "magic", define "science".

Are Asgardians gods? Yes, in that they are the same beings that the norse worshiped as gods.
Are they all powerful/knowing? Clearly not, though they have power beyond that of humans.

Are they Aliens? Well they aren't from earth, so yes they are.

Do they use magic or science? They obviously have tried and tested processes for harnessing forces that humans don't yet understand (i.e. there has to be a science to their magic), otherwise how do they control it and get the repeatable, desired results?

There isn't really a clear cut answer.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #937
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
As I've said it a few times before, it's all about perspectives, perceptions, semantics & definitions. Define "god", define "alien", define "magic", define "science".

Are Asgardians gods? Yes, in that they are the same beings that the norse worshiped as gods.
Are they all powerful/knowing? Clearly not, though they have power beyond that of humans.

Do they use magic or science? They obviously have tried and tested processes for harnessing forces that humans don't yet understand (i.e. there has to be a science to their magic), otherwise how do they control it and get the repeatable, desired results?

I agree. It's about how you define things and many of these concepts have several definitions.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #938
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I don't understand. It's no different from the comics. What is a god?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #939
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Ancient Aliens!

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #940
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I agree. It's about how you define things and many of these concepts have several definitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Agreed on all counts

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #941
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Ancient Aliens!

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #942
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, But even Nick has said he's not the brightest lol He said so himself at the end of Thor talking to Selvig.

....to every King.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #943
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm trying to remember the name of the arc, from Thor where Thor DOES acknowlege God as a THEE God, but in the same sentence he claims the Asgardians, Olympians and so on are gods as well.

....to every King.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #944
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Hemsworth accepts that his shirtless scene in Thor: The Dark World is completely gratuitous and was actually added to the script by Joss Whedon!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/171...hirtless.jhtml

Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #945
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Hemsworth accepts that his shirtless scene in Thor: The Dark World is completely gratuitous and was actually added to the script by Joss Whedon!

The Ladies love it!!!

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #946
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post

I think it wouldn't be an action movie if he didn't take his shirt off.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #947
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

On another note, I remember thinking a few months ago, before Iron Man 3 came out (and most notably, before the spoiler regarding the Mandarin Twist came out as well) that I'd wonder at times on how the Mandarin (played by Ben Kingsly) would react if Thor arrived to help Tony.

Whether Ben was/is the real Mandarin or not, something tells me that it would have looked like this.lol

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #948
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

A slightly modified image of Hemsworth courtesy of Deviant Art.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #949
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Loki says 'give or take 5 thousand years'. That is way shorter than the time Asgardians are portrayed to live in the comics. Odin for example is eons old.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #950
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Loki says 'give or take 5 thousand years'. That is way shorter than the time Asgardians are portrayed to live in the comics. Odin for example is eons old.
But is that 5000 natural years? Don't they also eat from the tree that gives them extended life beyond their natural entitlement?

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote