The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #576
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The Second Amendment V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Look, in a mental institution, providers are instructed by law to report any suspicion that a person might be a danger to themselves to the police or the department of health. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like they take those matter as seriously as they do regular crimes. In fact you don't get fined for not reporting crimes in progress so I guess you could say that reporting people as being a menace to themselves is more severe. That is why we should not discount the number of incidents where a person may commit suicide or accidentally kill themselves by a gun misfire. The issue here is gun safety as well as reducing gun crimes and gun deaths.
I am not saying discount suicides, but it's a completely different issue then homicides and should be a completely different debate then the 12k who die in homicides. Take away every gun in the US and those 18k people would still find other ways to kill themself most likely so I don't see how that should be put under gun violence. Basically trying to come up with a one stop law to fix both suicides and homicides is ridiculous

Last edited by SV Fan; 09-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #577
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure you could delineate that case, but it is would still be a violent death by a gun. Even if it is not considered an official crime, no one wants to see anybody committing suicide nor placing themselves or others in danger of shooting themselves by accident just as much as they don't want to see people murdering others with the same type of weapon. To write that off as a special case apart from a murder is just an attempt to desensitize the issue of gun violence.
I see it as putting it into proper context. I have yet to hear anyone on the pro-gun control side make a serious argument about gun control because of suicide. It's always crime and mass shootings.

That would be a novel approach, actually.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #578
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I am not saying discount suicides, but it's a completely different issue then homicides and should be a completely different debate then the 12k who die in homicides. Take away every gun in the US and those 18k people would still find other ways to kill themself most likely so I don't see how that should be put under gun violence. Basically trying to come up with a one stop law to fix both suicides and homicides is ridiculous
You are splitting hairs. Yes, there is a difference between criminal homicide and suicide, but the majority of us want neither to happen. That is why we should include firearm suicides in the statistic so that we know what is actually going on here.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #579
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I see it as putting it into proper context. I have yet to hear anyone on the pro-gun control side make a serious argument about gun control because of suicide. It's always crime and mass shootings.

That would be a novel approach, actually.
Putting it into proper context would be to list all statistics (criminal homicides, suicides, and accidental gun deaths), not just one (which your case would only be criminal homicides). Then you can see the big picture.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #580
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Putting it into proper context would be to list all statistics (criminal homicides, suicides, and accidental gun deaths), not just one (which your case would only be criminal homicides). Then you can see the big picture.
I think suicides should be discussed and tried to be fixed I just don't believe it should be lumped up with mass school shootings and one on one homicides. The way to prevent suicides doesn't involve doing anything with guns basically

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #581
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I think suicides should be discussed and tried to be fixed I just don't believe it should be lumped up with mass school shootings and one on one homicides. The way to prevent suicides doesn't involve doing anything with guns basically
The are all deaths and are part of the epidemic. If you don't look at all the contributing factors, then you won't be able to solve the real problem. Note that the data is already segregated as to why people know that most of them are suicides. If we throw that factor out and only discuss and focus on crimes then you over look the fact that a large number of gun deaths are causes by self inflicted wounds and suicides.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #582
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
A west Phoenix woman was fatally injured while hugging her boyfriend when the gun in his pants accidentally discharged.

Local police say the 24-year-old was embracing her 18-year-old boyfriend when she complained that the gun tucked in his waistband was making her uncomfortable.

As the teen reached for the gun in order to pull it out, the weapon suddenly went off, and a bullet struck the woman.

The unidentified victim was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Though the death "appears to be accidental," according to Phoenix Police Department spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson, the case will still be submitted to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for further investigation.
There really needs to be a mandatory gun safety class for anyone to own a gun

Last edited by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs; 10-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #583
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post
There really needs to be a mandatory gun safety class for anyone to won a gun
I can just imagine what she said to him. Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #584
Genosha
Mutant Island

I believe the NRA needs to switch focus to an untapped gun market:

Arming our pets.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if a state started allowing that.

Genosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #585
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
Authorities in Nashville have arrested 22-year-old David White and charged him with reckless endangerment after a gun he was playing with accidentally discharged, firing a bullet through his floor into the apartment below and striking a sleeping woman.

Heather Goutremont was asleep in bed when she sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder.

According to police, the bullet caused "significant damage," and Goutremont was rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in serious condition.

Her status was upgraded this morning to stable.

White was subsequently arrested on charges of reckless endangerment, marijuana possession and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription.

He told investigators he was "playing around" with the gun when it suddenly went off.
God forbid anyone take these geniuses guns away, then the Government would move in with the UN armies and take over everything

Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #586
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Eh, shot from the ceiling while sleeping. Talk about a rude awakening.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #587
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post

God forbid anyone take these geniuses guns away, then the Government would move in with the UN armies and take over everything
This guy is clearly irresponsible and it should go without saying that guns and drugs do not mix.
People like him should not own guns.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #588
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Eh, shot from the ceiling while sleeping. Talk about a rude awakening.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #589
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
Authorities in Florida say a Port Richey woman suffered a serious gunshot wound after she was struck by a bullet that was fired by a man who had just committed suicide across the street.

Jeane Sams stepped out of her cousin's apartment last Wednesday to make a phone call when she was suddenly felt a sharp pain above her right knee and looked down to see blood gushing out.

She hurried back inside where her cousin, Yvonne Diaz, and Diaz's fiancee Brandon Parker put pressure on the wound and phoned 911.

When deputies first arrived at the New America complex, they immediately suspected Parker had shot Sams.

According to Parker, the cops "yanked him out of his apartment and shoved him up against a car."

But after multiple rounds of questioning, the real culprit was discovered: Their neighbor, Michael Bruty.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office said Bruty, 28, had been arguing loudly with his girlfriend earlier that night, and eventually threatened to kill himself.

Despite pleas from his partner to put his gun down, Bruty lifted the weapon to his head and fired once.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sams was rushed to a nearby hospital, but was well enough to be released the following day.

Deputies remain puzzled by the bullet's trajectory, noting that two parked cars were situated between Bruty's apartment and Sams position at the time of the incident.
Crazy story

Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #590
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
According to her website, U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers "believes that gun owners must be responsible for the use and care of their guns." Maybe she should listen to her own advice.

An AR-15 rifle was reportedly stolen from her home last week after the family returned from a target-shooting excursion. According to the New Observer, the gun had been left next to a gun locker in the family's unlocked garage. Said Police Chief J.D. Pope, "They had been out target shooting and brought the gun back and leaned it against the gun safe… The garage door was left unsecured, according to the report.”

Not only is the event unfortunate for Ellmers and her family (not to mention their neighbors, and whoever ends up getting shot at with that AR-15). It also might undermine her political message just a little. The North Carolina congresswoman is a staunch gun advocate, according to her website:

Although she believes that gun owners must be responsible for the use and care of their guns, she does not want to see law-abiding gun owners penalized for the actions of criminals. It has become far too easy to place blame on guns, and their accessibility, rather than the criminals themselves.
Sure, but accessibility might be a good place to start.
Not sure which is funnier the irony or the hypocrisy. Plus love the Romney/Ryan sticker

Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #591
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

If you own a deadly weapon, you really need to be more responsible than this. Even if it's just a shotgun.

There should be serious penalties for people who don't take proper care of them.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #592
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

You Can Now Buy Guns on Instagram Without a Background Check

Quote:
Not just for letting people know what you're eating! Illegal arms dealers, forced out of Craigslist, have turned to the social photography app to market their wares. And according to a new report from The Daily Beast, it's largely legal.

It's a federal crime to sell firearms to people prohibited from owning them, and to buy from a federal firearms dealer on behalf of someone else. But that's it. Person-to-person transactions, online or otherwise, aren't regulated on a federal level, and although background checks are encouraged before a sale is finalized, mandatory checks aren't the law of the land. Most gun laws are left up to the states, leaving plenty to slip under the radar and onto the internet.

The Daily Beast's Brian Ries describes one gun-sale post on everyone's favorite photo app:

LWRC 10’ SBR FOR SALE!!! Come get it! Includes AAC suppressor tip, ergo grip, 3 magpul pmags, 2 40 round mags, bungee sling, and about 500 rounds of .556. Message me if interested.
Negotiations begin in the photo's comments and from there move to more private media.

Instagram's user guidelines, which advise users not to "share photos or videos of illegal content" or "promote or glorify self-harm," don't mention guns at all. Unlike Craigslist, which bans weapons, Instagram isn't a commerce site and doesn't have rules about buying or selling... anything.

Hopefully soon the federal government will pass more gun-safety laws. In the meantime, maybe Instagram can consider adding some more guidelines.
This really needs to be stopped, you can bet your last buck that this is being used for nefarious purposes

Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #593
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

5-Year-Old Texas Boy Kills Himself With Sleeping Babysitter’s Gun

Quote:
A 5-year-old Texas boy fatally shot himself Monday afternoon with a handgun belonging to his babysitter, who was napping at the time.

According to the Orange County sheriff’s department, the shooting occurred Monday afternoon, after the babysitter, Melissa Ann Ringhardt, 19, left her handgun on a table while she napped in a bedroom. As she slept, the 5-year-old boy, identified John Read, found the loaded .40-caliber gun and accidentally shot himself.

When she awoke, Ringhardt discovered the boy’s body in the family’s living room but, because there was no phone in the home, was unable to call for help. Instead, she carried the boy’s body, along with his 6-month-old sister, to his grandparent’s home a block away. When paramedics arrived, John was pronounced dead at the scene.

"People have the right to bear arms, and with that comes great responsibility," Orange County sheriff's Chief Deputy Clint Hodgkinson told KFDM-TV of Beaumont. "If someone, somehow, puts a firearm in a place where a child is able to get that weapon, you've committed an offense."

"Sometimes, it takes something like this — as tragic as it is — for people to reflect on those things, and these are the opportunities you take ... to say, 'Look, what could we have done?'" Hodgkinson said.
Ringhardt was arrested on a felony charge of abandoning or endangering a child and is being held on $250,000 bond. She told police she had the gun because she was afraid of being home alone.

Earlier this year, a three-year-old shot himself in the head with a gun he thought was a toy, a five-year-old boy fatally shot his sister with a gun he thought was unloaded, and a four-year-old shot and killed the wife of a sheriff’s deputy with a loaded handgun he found at a BBQ.
So toddlers have killed more Americans than terrorist this year. And who leaves a loaded gun presumably with the safety off, in reach of child whilst they take a nap?! Idiots like this are the reason Americans can't have nice things

Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #594
Destructus86
Side-Kick

The gun debate just got a lot more interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...by-police.html

Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #595
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Nope, it's false. And the police are backtracking now.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/...e-uks-first-3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #596
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Nope, it's false. And the police are backtracking now.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/...e-uks-first-3d
The police are not drawing that conclusion yet until further investigation. That doesn't mean they are backtracking.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #597
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Gun violence dramatically rised and continues.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/terrib...500-8C11469222

Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #598
dnno1
Side-Kick

Deadly LAX shooting: Why did he do it?

I was there. It ruined my entire vacation.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #599
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Deadly LAX shooting: Why did he do it?

I was there. It ruined my entire vacation.
People died, and you're complaining about it ruining your vacation? Wow.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #600
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
People died, and you're complaining about it ruining your vacation? Wow.
Took the words right out of my mouth.