The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #26
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14

The OT cast filmed for too long to be mere cameos - even if most of that filming were the action scenes which can probably take a long time to film. Outside of action, I expect Stewart and McKellen at least to have decent dramatic parts because after all Magneto and Professor X are the only characters who link the two time periods as young and old characters (Wolverine doesn't count since we're not likely to get to know 70s Logan much, he's only there for his body ).

I just hope it won't be like The Hobbit where they throw original LoTR characters like Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman onscreen for nostalgia's sake who don't actually get to do much.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #27
kasjan
Side-Kick

1h in future.
1h40min in past.
160 min movie.
If less, I kick some ass.
Batman with less characters is 2.5h movie.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #28
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
A cameo Is 1 or 2 scenes.we will be dealing with according to rumors rough a 2 hour and 8 minute film not counting credits so probally at least 40 minutes and possibly as much as 45 to 50 minutes of final film.
Rumors from where? I find it hard to believe anyone has this info yet. Aren't they still editing? And thats only 4 minutes longer than FC pre credits. Hope the Rumor is BS.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #29
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

In terms of the future there will be the stuff at the beginning going to the temple and doing the time travel, a scene with mags and iceman which will probably involve rogue, and I'd imagine a few other scenes, that's more then a cameo

As far as that being a criticism... Honestly if it is then it will be because the past stuff wasn't very good, and right now it does seem diluted because we know very little about the past

Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #30
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Edit

Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #31
xrs13
Cold as ice

How long are films on average now? I would guess this is longer based on the budget alone :S

Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
How long are films on average now? I would guess this is longer based on the budget alone :S
For CBM's I don't think there really is an average. Some are near to 2 hours or more, a lot of others have been around the 90 minute multiplex friendly mark (including credits, which especially with Marvel films ought to be counted).

In the past (under Rothman) Fox have been rather fond of that coveted 90 minute mark (can get more screenings per day etc), though both X2 and First Class were over the 2 hour mark. Both FF films were around the 90 minutes level, DD was cut to fit that (about 30 mins and a whole subplot I think was shaved off there), Elektra was about that level as well.

Marvel's have tended to be a bit closer to the 2 hour mark or more, same with DC.

Given the scope of DOFP I'd expect it to be about 2 hours at least, but we will have to wait & see.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

FilmNerdJamie has already told us that a recent rough cut of the film was 128 minutes long which I think is a fine runtime. It's about the same as X2 and that's fine.

With that in mind, I don't think the future scenes are going to be anywhere close to 40 minutes of the movie. That's way too much time reserved for a portion that doesn't directly affect the plot of the movie.

If Jamie is right with his quote that they are there for what you'd expect - they're there to be killed off one by one to show how bleak the future is.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

we don't know if any of the new mutants will be killed off quickly at the start of the film, its possible Sunspot for example could be killed of in first 5 min, we haven't really seen a shot of the new mutants interacting with the OT, we havent really seen a shot with them together

but anyway i think 40 min would be the very least for the OT, could be more then 40 min but I don't think it will be less then 40 min, there is stuff that needs explaining in the future, aswell as action scenes, some development and scenes where characters are just talking

and as for action scenes i'm not expecting the avengers style action scenes where the camera is zooming round to a team battle which lasts 10 min, thats probably a whedon only thing

Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I disagree.The future as well as possable altered present at end of film were
shot over first 6 weeks.That can easily translate to 40 minutes of screentime.
Plus Daniel Cudmore and likely Ellen Page came back at end of production for
addational

You could have in film

Introduction of characters at temple
Big battle against Sentles sans Rogue
Launching the time travel scheme of with Kitty's help of sending wolverine's mind to 1973 body
sentinles attack sentinles.Some characters are killed,and Kitty Injured
Rogue In Enturnment camp
Rogue Is rescured from camp
Rogue Is taken to temple where she absorbs Kitty's powers so they can get wolverine back
possable ending of showing altered present with Cyclops alive

Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #36
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i'm willing to bet we won't see rogue captured by the sentinels, there will just be a scene with xavier on cerebro and discover she is there

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I'm of the belief that everyone gets killed at the temple. Wolverine is smuggled in there for the mind procedure. Sentinels attack. Halle sacrifices herself, explaining why she had to be on wires and why her role was curtailed. Collosus probably sacrifices himself. Rogue gets kidnapped. Maybe Iceman and Kitty are the only people that remain, together with the new characters. It will basically be a young mutant show in the future, even though Kitty, Bobby, and the rest of that crew are adults now. Of course Magneto/Xavier will be directing things, but that will be that. When Logan's mind returns, I could see an altered timeline where Storm/Cyke/Jean are back. 50/50.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #38
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Let's also consider characters In 1973 portian of film

Wolverine
Xavier
Magneto
Mystique
Beast
Trask

Plus you have quicksilver,STrker,Havok,and Nixon but who knows how large those roles are.

It makes sense for the limited amount of 1973 characters with spending 40 minutes in future.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
See: every incarnation of Days of Future Past that has ever been done since it's original inception.
That's comics and cartoons, not movies. They have to weigh it better in a movie as it's a shorter format. We need to see enough of the future to keep the plot going.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryudoz View Post
You do realize that there are TV Shows that can pack whole or even half of a whole plot arc in a 40 minute time frame, right? So 40 minutes might even be a bit generous, considering that all you'd need to establish the tone and bleakness of the future would be a few minutes to introduce the characters, basic plot elements, and the initial plan to change things. See the original Terminator movie. Very little dabbling in the future outside of establishing the framework of the time travel, Reese's goal of coming back, and the threat that was current chasing Sarah. It could just be my opinion, but I think that the tone and excitement of the film wasn't primarily held in those few scenes but in the bulk of the film that regarded the "past".

Also, extended cameos even for the new mutants they are showing wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility just for the sheer amount of people and potential plot they are dealing with. Nevermind the fact that the franchise is still very much in Wolverine's claws and how you have to service the Charles/Erik dynamic and the budding importance of Mystique in all of this. Toss in additional scenes like Alex's war scene(s), Young Charles/Erik interactions, as well as the antagonist perspective and it really doesn't leave much for the Original cast to do it seems. Unless the movie is going to be longer than we all think.

Then again, this is all just assumption on my part.
Movies aren't TV. Too much past action will weigh down the plot and drain some of the excitement IMO.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #41
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
A cameo Is 1 or 2 scenes.we will be dealing with according to rumors rough a 2 hour and 8 minute film not counting credits so probally at least 40 minutes and possibly as much as 45 to 50 minutes of final film.
That's what I think as well. It seems a good balance. It allows the majority of the film to take place in the past while keeping the audience invested in the reason for the past scenes. We need to really feel and see the future to keep up the momentum.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i'm willing to bet we won't see rogue captured by the sentinels, there will just be a scene with xavier on cerebro and discover she is there
I don't think we will see Rogue captured.She probally Is already there when film
begins.But,I can see them showing her Inside camp before being rescured by
at least Magneto and Iceman.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #43
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

I agree marvel. We could get a scene of her in the camp before the others rescue her. And we probably will. As the audience would like to know where she is and why she's not around the others. Plus you'd think they'd show mutants in the camp to explain to the audience what the Sentinels and Government have been doing. Showing graves, the prison and actual deaths is kind of a must. They did in the other versions.

Quote:
I don't think we will see that. I think she'll already be in prison when the movie starts and the others may not even have known she had been captured. I just get a feeling Rogue isn't part of the team when the movie starts.

The leaked footage would imply she wasn't. The others wouldn't leave her in prison until only two of them can go get her and Rogue wouldn't be looking jealous of Iceman/Kitty if she's used to seeing them close.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #44
JP
Flame On

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
That's comics and cartoons, not movies. They have to weigh it better in a movie as it's a shorter format. We need to see enough of the future to keep the plot going.
Actually, it's a much longer fomat than the original comic and TAS episodes.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #45
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryudoz View Post
Toss in additional scenes like Alex's war scene(s), .
yeah havok and his platoon i can imagine will be a big action scene with alot of mutant powers going, i personally suspect it could possibly be against sentinels, the platoon will be used to test against the sentinels on a battlefield, could explain strykers role

i mean same as the future you can't have known mutants and not show what they can do

this is just my guess mind

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 10-28-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #46
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I'm of the belief that everyone gets killed at the temple. Wolverine is smuggled in there for the mind procedure. Sentinels attack. Halle sacrifices herself, explaining why she had to be on wires and why her role was curtailed. Collosus probably sacrifices himself. Rogue gets kidnapped. Maybe Iceman and Kitty are the only people that remain, together with the new characters. It will basically be a young mutant show in the future, even though Kitty, Bobby, and the rest of that crew are adults now. Of course Magneto/Xavier will be directing things, but that will be that. When Logan's mind returns, I could see an altered timeline where Storm/Cyke/Jean are back. 50/50.
I think the temple Is headquarters of the mutants.And my belief Is you won't see much devolpment of new mutants or Colossus.Outside of Xavier,Magneto,Wolverine,Storm,Kitty,Iceman,and rogue Bishop probally has most screentime In future.

I agree storm Is probally going to sacrifice herself when sentinles find temple.During that attack will probally be how kitty Is injured requiring them to find Rogue.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #47
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm talking about the comics. Cartoons couldn't have a lot of the future scenes as they had to cram everything into a couple of episodes. The movie is a shorter format than the comics, but longer than the cartoon. They can allow for more balance than the cartoons and they can do it differently to the comics. Something that would be more fitting to a movie format.

They can, should and probably will have more of a balance than some of you are expecting. The OT cast filmed for 6 weeks of the around 4 month shoot. That doesn't equate to less than 40 minutes of screen time. Just because they say the majority of the scenes are in the past doesn't mean that makes the futures portion small. It can't be small with that many characters and the fact they've basically confirmed the action will flick back and forth. No-one is denying the past will be the biggest part of the story, but the future is important also.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #48
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
yeah havok and his platoon i can imagine will be a big action scene with alot of mutant powers going, i personally suspect it could possibly be against sentinels, the platoon will be used to test against the sentinels on a battlefield, could explain strykers role

i mean same as the future you can't have known mutants and not show what they can do

this is just my guess mind
I don't think Havok Is going to have much of a role.Possibly just at his barricks are eather in paris or french embrassy In Washington.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #49
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

So we are about 30 hours away from seeing the trailer?!?!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
While i compare what they are doing here to Wolverine and the X-Men with future VS past rather than 1990's animated show.

I view the future in film version as kind of a cross between orginal comic and
wolverine and the X-Men