The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name and/or mascot?
Yes, change the team name and mascot 28 38.89%
No, don't change anything 31 43.06%
Change the name, but not the mascot 11 15.28%
Change the mascot, but not the name 0 0%
Other 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #76
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should the Washington Redskins change their mascot?

Technically they play in Maryland.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #77
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
Telling to me that the image of a drunken Irish brawler is ok and is even defended. How quickly we forget how the Irish were treated not that long ago. "Fighting Irish" stems from the negative stereotype of Irish people as angry alcoholic beings. "Don't get your Irish up" was a common saying. (Calm down)
i've never defended it. if the irish want it to change, i'm all for that. now what?

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #78
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Quote:
Second, I never get why anyone allows themselves to be "offended". It's self inflicted.
Blame the victim....
Whether or not you are a "victim" in this case is 100% up to the individual. It is not possible to offend anyone unless they allow themselves to be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
i've never defended it. if the irish want it to change, i'm all for that. now what?
I don't think the Irish care that much. Like I said above, it's just as "offensive" but the Irish don't allow it to be a problem....so it isn't.

If someone tries to offend you by using their vocal cords to cause a sound to issue forth and produce syllables which form what we call "words" and you get offended. ....They win. That's exactly what they wanted. Congrats, you just made yourself a "victim" and gave the "offender" exactly what they wanted.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #79
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

There's plenty that offend the Irish.

Just like any people of self-respect and dignity.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #80
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whether or not you are a "victim" in this case is 100% up to the individual. It is not possible to offend anyone unless they allow themselves to be offended.
I don't like the way this give the offender a free pass, because it's not really their fault, right? Not if you "allowed" them to offend you. Nonsense.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
I don't like the way this give the offender a free pass, because it's not really their fault, right? Not if you "allowed" them to offend you. Nonsense.
The "Fighting Irish" is a perfect example of this in action. The Irish are not offended even though it is based on a negative stereotype...thus it is not offensive. The team name...like ALL team names...was chosen because it was seen as a positive. No team name is chosen to insult anyone. It's a compliment.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #82
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
The "Fighting Irish" is a perfect example of this in action. The Irish are not offended even though it is based on a negative stereotype...thus it is not offensive. The team name...like ALL team names...was chosen because it was seen as a positive. No team name is chosen to insult anyone. It's a compliment.
I'm not addressing team names here. I'm talking about your assertion that if someone gets offended by a slur or a bigoted phrase, then it's on them for choosing to take offense, and that is nonsense.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #83
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
I'm not addressing team names here. I'm talking about your assertion that if someone gets offended by a slur or a bigoted phrase, then it's on them for choosing to take offense, and that is nonsense.
I don't think it's nonsense at all. No one can be offended by any words unless they allow it to happen. When you do that you often hand a victory to the a-hole who was trying to offend you in the first place. Congrats on that defeat.

And in this case, there obviously was no intent to offend or insult anyone so it's even less of a problem.

The market will sort this out. If the public feels the name is a problem, it will show up in ticket and merchandise sales and a change will have to be made.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #84
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
I don't think it's nonsense at all. No one can be offended by any words unless they allow it to happen. When you do that you often hand a victory to the a-hole who was trying to offend you in the first place. Congrats on that defeat.

And in this case, there obviously was no intent to offend or insult anyone so it's even less of a problem.

The market will sort this out. If the public feels the name is a problem, it will show up in ticket and merchandise sales and a change will have to be made.
Slurs bother people not because the slur is valid but for two main reasons:

1) someone had malice intent toward you and those like you and had no problem disrespecting you and verbally attacking you

2) similar bigotry was responsible for countless misery and suffering for many like you and that suffering is not only trivialized but also supported

You say it would be a better world if people were unaffected by slurs but its common knowledge that where and when those were socially acceptable they were used far more frequently.

If the victims don't get defensive about slurs, no one will and those slurs will be used casually and openly often which sends the message to all parties that the slur is acceptable to be spoken since it will be unchallenged.

TL;DR - When you tolerate racial slurs you are also saying the attitudes behind the racial slur are acceptable.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 10-28-2013 at 05:50 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #85
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Slurs bother people not because the slur is valid but for two main reasons:

1) someone had malice intent toward you and those like you and had no problem disrespecting you and verbally attacking you

2) similar bigotry was responsible for countless misery and suffering for many like you and that suffering is not only trivialized but also supported

You say it would be a better world if people were unaffected by slurs but its common knowledge that where and when those were socially acceptable they were used far more frequently.

If the victims don't get defensive about slurs, no one will and those slurs will be used casually and openly often which sends the message to all parties that the slur is acceptable to be spoken since it will be unchallenged.
I think it's just a fault in our biology that will someday disappear as evolution continues to work on us.

There is no logical reason to be offended by words.

In this case, there is no malice either, so it's even more illogical.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #86
herakles
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Some people have waaaaaay too much time on their hands to even be sitting around thinking about what makes them offended.
EXACTLY!!!!!

There will always be people who are looking to get offended. There a lot of Native Tribes who have zero issue the name.

herakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #87
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo.com
Fifty senators have signed a letter urging NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to change the name of the Washington Redskins football team, citing the NBA's recent action to strip Donald Sterling of his ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.

The letter, which was circulated by Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and endorsed by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), was signed by 46 other Democrats and two independents, Sens. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Angus King (Maine). It was not circulated among Republicans.

“Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports,” the letter reads. “It’s time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team."

“The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations. We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises.”

The team's owner, Dan Snyder, has been adamant about retaining the name. He says it honors Native American culture and that many Native Americans remain supportive of it. But critics, including President Barack Obama and some former team players, have said they find it offensive.

The issue is particularly dear to Reid, whose state is home to many tribes. He recently disparaged a new foundation created by the team meant to aid needy tribal communities as nothing more than a ploy to receive a government tax break.

“He’s going to throw a few blankets to the Indians and get a tax deduction for it," he told The Washington Post. "I can’t imagine why the man doesn’t realize that the name is going to change. It’s only a question of when it’s going to change. That’s the only question.”

An NFL spokesman issued a statement Thursday in response to the letter.

“The intent of the team’s name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image,” Brian McCarthy told The New York Times. “The name is not used by the team or the N.F.L. in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently.”

Virginia Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine were among the few Democrats who did not add their names to the letter. The team's headquarters is based in Ashburn, Va., and Warner recently dropped by its new training facility in Richmond.

An aide to Kaine told HuffPost that while the senator supports changing the team's name, he had "concerns about the tone of the letter sent by Senate Democrats."

A spokesman for Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Senate Republicans weren't told about the letter before it was sent to Goodell.

Asked why Republicans weren't given an opportunity to add their signatures, a spokesman for Cantwell said Democrats "would invite all Senators to join us in this call to action."

Cantwell came to the floor on Thursday and urged the entire chamber, including Republicans, to append their names to the letter.

“I am convinced that if each member of this body speaks on this issue and is forceful in their resolve that we can help initiate change," she said.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has previously said he would "probably" change the name.
Reading the trending comments on Facebook and Twitter and it pisses me off how a lot of white Americans don't think its a big deal. This is why the rest of the world hates us!

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #88
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

That's why?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #89
KevanG
Brony

If there's a big enough complaint from the native community then they should consider doing so. If they aren't complaining about it then I don't see how it matters. I just get annoyed by people who get offended for others when they aren't offended in the first place.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #90
Persistence
Banned User

It's clearly a slur either way....some people are offended. how do we quantify how many need to be offended?

I'm ok with taking away other ethnic-based mascots...there are plenty of mascots you can make without going to race, just use your imagination.

Persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #91
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence View Post
It's clearly a slur either way....some people are offended. how do we quantify how many need to be offended?

I'm ok with taking away other ethnic-based mascots...there are plenty of mascots you can make without going to race, just use your imagination.
So everything mascot should be an animal, inanimate object, or abstract word? This whole thing reeks of people getting on their high-horses and/or pandering for votes.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #92
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence View Post

It's not the fact it's an ethnic based mascot, it's that it's a racist slur. Chiefs and Braves are fine with me. They aren't slurs, and are similar to Vikings or Patriots honestly. Redskins is different.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #93
BoredGuy
Killing Time

should they change:
The Mascot? ehh, maybe, if there's an uproar from Native Americans

The Name? Abso-f***ing-lutely, regardless of the size of the uproar.

that name belongs in a Mel Brooks parody Football league, with teams like the Birmingham Coloreds and the Berlin Heebs. It's not about being PC, the name's just really, ree-heeeally f**king racist, sorry to have to break it to all the white people who think it's not a big deal.

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #94
Persistence
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroapoc View Post
It's not the fact it's an ethnic based mascot, it's that it's a racist slur. Chiefs and Braves are fine with me. They aren't slurs, and are similar to Vikings or Patriots honestly. Redskins is different.
I understand the difference, all I was saying is I'm ok if the movement went even further, which they likely will in a few years anyway. I'm not a huge territorial sports fanatic, so probably why I don't have a problem with the movement to change the name.

Persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #95
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it's just a fault in our biology that will someday disappear as evolution continues to work on us.
I missed this gem earlier.

This begs the question: how and why? What is the mechanism? If it's natural selection, where is the selective pressure? If it's genetic drift, how/why do you predict that this trait will become fixed? If it's sexual selection, why would this trait make mates more attractive, and would the response be strong enough to result in its fixation?

Of course, this assumes that there is a heritable basis for the trait in the first place, which is an incredibly dubious claim.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #96
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroapoc View Post
Says who? Five years ago, NO ONE was saying anything about the name Redskins. Now, with Harry Reid in the Senate and a FEW others, shouts are coming about how racist the name is! Yet, millions of fans go to the games, wear the jerseys and they are not feeling bad about anything. Plus, the team was started by NATIVE AMERICANS.
If it was all about racism, why would a WHITE owner, and subsequently white players want to be apart of a team named as a slur? "Hey Bill, heard you got traded to the "N...s"! Yeah dude, got a really big signing bonus with them! No racist would subjugate themselves under a slur that they would call another race! That doesn't make sense.
If the owner wants to change the name then fine, but this make belief "Offensive" stuff can go pound sand!

Powerman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #97
KevanG
Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
I missed this gem earlier.

This begs the question: how and why? What is the mechanism? If it's natural selection, where is the selective pressure? If it's genetic drift, how/why do you predict that this trait will become fixed? If it's sexual selection, why would this trait make mates more attractive, and would the response be strong enough to result in its fixation?

Of course, this assumes that there is a heritable basis for the trait in the first place, which is an incredibly dubious claim.
Shh, just let them think they know what they're talking about. It's easier on them.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #98
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman34 View Post
Says who? Five years ago, NO ONE was saying anything about the name Redskins.
That is completely inaccurate. Yes it's picked up a lot of momentum recently. But the issue of that name has come up many times over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman34 View Post
Plus, the team was started by NATIVE AMERICANS.
Maybe in Bizarroworld. In this one it was started by George Preston Marshall. A notorious racist who the last owner to integrate.

Last edited by zeroapoc; 05-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #99
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I think it boils down to what is genuinely offensive and what is someone just bein ultra PC.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #100
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

A think a slur falls under generally offensive.

I mean think about what the equivalent word would be for blacks, jews, or latinos.