The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Should DOFP be used to reboot the X-Men franchise?
Yes 43 57.33%
No 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #51
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Default Re: Should DOFP be used to reboot the X-Men franchise?

I don't get the opposition to reboots. It's like all the one's who're against remaking old films? Uh, does doing this mean they'll take away your DVD's or whatever of the previous films? Do all those cease to exist? No. So what's the big deal? Nothing can just last forever. And there are always different ways of interpreting a known subject to film. Some of those are bound to be worthwhile, maybe even better than the original version(y'know, depending on what your particular taste is).

Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #52
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
1:Star Trek Is now Star Wars lite
2ue to giving chris nolan so much power batman Is being rebooted again
3:James Bond didn't needed to be rebooted.The series survived quite well for 40 years with simply recasting
Star Trek Into Darkness >>>>> Star Trek Nemesis

The Dark Knight Rises >>>>>> Batman and Robin

Skyfall >>>>>>> Die Another Day

Like it or not all these reboots were hugely successful commercially and critically.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #53
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
In most time travel stories, the idea is to muck around with events as little as possible so that something that is done in the past doesn't create an even bigger catastrophe than the thing that you're trying to prevent.
However, I LOVE stories where trying to prevent the tragedy is actually what causes the incident you're trying to avoid.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #54
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I wouldn't mind a relaunch a la Star Trek 2009 and the First Class branching off into a new timeline after DOFP. Star Trek did a good job of renewing the franchise without invalidating the previous films.

That way it gives the franchise more room to breath, bring in new talent, introduce or reintroduce characters and new story arcs without having to be tied to already existing continuity.

I don't think a 100% reboot is needed.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #55
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I'm fine with reboots when they're warranted, and rebooting the X-Franchise isn't.

BTW, anyone trying to use the Abrams Star Trek as an equivalent example here has a fundamental misunderstanding about how and why that story worked.

The 2009 Mortal Kombat game is a much better and more accurate comparison example based on everything that we know about DoFP's story.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry

Last edited by DigificWriter; 10-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #56
kedrell

Judging from the posts of many, I'd say there are plenty who think a reboot is warranted in this case. Long overdue is what I think.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #57
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Judging from the posts of many, I'd say there are plenty who think a reboot is warranted in this case. Long overdue is what I think.
What the PTBs think is the only thing that matters, and I've seen nothing to suggest that the PTBs are dissatisfied with the current franchise.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
kedrell

Just a quick question: What are PTB's? Never heard that term. Do you mean the GA(general audience)?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #59
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness >>>>> Star Trek Nemesis

The Dark Knight Rises >>>>>> Batman and Robin

Skyfall >>>>>>> Die Another Day

Like it or not all these reboots were hugely successful commercially and critically.
The dark knight rises has many critics of it.Nobody wanted to continue on from batman & Robin.

Many longtime trek fans don't like Into darkness.And they didn't like nemesis
eather.

Moonraker was just as panned as Die another day was and bond series wasn't rebooted then.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #60
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
I'm fine with reboots when they're warranted, and rebooting the X-Franchise isn't.

BTW, anyone trying to use the Abrams Star Trek as an equivalent example here has a fundamental misunderstanding about how and why that story worked.

The 2009 Mortal Kombat game is a much better and more accurate comparison example based on everything that we know about DoFP's story.
Well Star Trek was a prequel that created a new timeline. So some are suggesting the same approach using the First Class timeline.

What specifically about the Star Trek story are we missing?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #61
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I've seen one thing that suggests the powers that be could be dissatisfied with the current x-franchise. It's a number:

Oh forgot the dollar sign:

$1,518,594,910

Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #62
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well Star Trek was a prequel that created a new timeline. So some are suggesting the same approach using the First Class timeline.

That statement right there proves that you don't understand how and why the Abrams Star Trek worked.

Abrams and Co. were able to do what they did because of the way time travel in the STU works and because there was physical travel involved.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #63
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's far more likely what's going to accure if a few things are going to be altered.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #64
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I can't vote as it'd too black and white. i'd be okay with the first class team moving on from here on out with the timeline changes allowing events to unfold differently than the OT.

But a full reboot? NO WAY! Too many good actors and roles to just throw them out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Haters posts don't count. This movie could be the greatest movie of all time and the same people would still hate it.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #65
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's far more likely what's going to accure if a few things are going to be altered.
No, it's not.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #66
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:

Star Trek 2009 was in noway a prequel.That's a lie.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 10-30-2013 at 11:20 AM.
marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #67
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it's not.
Well as long as no massive rebooting happens I am happy

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #68
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
The dark knight rises has many critics of it.Nobody wanted to continue on from batman & Robin.

Many longtime trek fans don't like Into darkness.And they didn't like nemesis
eather.

Moonraker was just as panned as Die another day was and bond series wasn't rebooted then.

The Dark Knight Rises was the result of a reboot and it's one of the highest rated movies of its genre on RT as well as one of the highest grossing. Ditto for Star Trek Into the Darkness and Skyfall.

Die Another Day made 432 m WW, after the reboot the average Bond movie made 750 m WW. That's a huge increase with or without inflation. So maybe they should've rebooted after Moonraker.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #69
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Calm down people, lets just look forward to the next big event that is days of future past

Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #70
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I've seen one thing that suggests the powers that be could be dissatisfied with the current x-franchise. It's a number:

Oh forgot the dollar sign:

$1,518,594,910
You need to subtract the total production and marketing cost.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #71
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
That statement right there proves that you don't understand how and why the Abrams Star Trek worked.

Abrams and Co. were able to do what they did because of the way time travel in the STU works and because there was physical travel involved.
Oh okay.

But isn't there physical time travel in DOFP?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #72
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I can't vote as it'd too black and white. i'd be okay with the first class team moving on from here on out with the timeline changes allowing events to unfold differently than the OT.

But a full reboot? NO WAY! Too many good actors and roles to just throw them out the window.

Haters posts don't count. This movie could be the greatest movie of all time and the same people would still hate it.
but timeline changes mean the films are ebing erased.It's one thing to want them to ignore origins version of gambit and deadpool so them can be used In sequels or X-force or changing it so Cyclops can be alive In sequels with other OT cast

But it's another thing to suddenly turn Cyclops,Jean,Iceman,and angel as teens In 1970's.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #73
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Star Trek 2009 was in noway a prequel.That's a lie.
pre·quel
ˈprēkwəl,-kwil/Submit
noun
a story or movie containing events that precede those of an existing work.

With an older Spock (played by Leonard Nimoy) featured why wouldn't Star Trek (2009) fit into this description?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #74
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
pre·quel
ˈprēkwəl,-kwil/Submit
noun
a story or movie containing events that precede those of an existing work.

With an older Spock (played by Leonard Nimoy) featured why wouldn't Star Trek (2009) fit into this description?
Bad writing

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #75
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I get the sense that what you call haters are really just people who don't see these movies the way you do. How dare they!

Legit criticisms =/= hate. I'm no X-Men fan(and never will be) just as I'm not a Spider-man fan or a DC fan. But I am a fan of the genre and so I want all these films to be well done. I pay to see these films just as you do so my opinion is just as valid.