Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #276
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Target is having a B2G1 sale on PS4 launch games on launch week
Wow that sounds like an amazing deal for launch games. I'd probably buy everything.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #277
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Are people widely concerned about the launch PS4 consoles? I'm getting a launch system. Is there some issue to make me concerned as well?

I know the PS3 went thru several iterations before they were able to make a more reliable system, i.e YLOD, newer models run more efficiently power-wise, run cooler, etc. But shouldn't they have learned from those errors and make a first-gen PS4 that follows that learning curve?
To be clear, if I were getting an X1, I would still have the same concerns. It's mostly because its new hardware, and the problem with new hardware is that no matter how much testing it goes through with the developer, there's always the risk of new issues coming up once it reaches mass consumption by consumers. Like you never know if 1 out of every 10 systems has a problem if you only tested 9 systems. There's always the risk of some kind of defect that can only be found once everyone is using it.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #278
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Testing will never be comprehensive compared to the thing landing in the hands of millions of gamers using it exactly as it's intended to be used. They can take out a big probability of things going wrong if they have solid testing procedures but it can never give full assurance. That's why big companies who I'm sure have good industry standard procedures for testing their products still have to recall certain product lines for serious failures that they didn't detect. That said I've always bought at least one console at launch every generation and they all still work to this day without major problems (I had to get my launch 360 repaired after about 6 years for £40 but it's worked fine since to this day although it now belongs to a friend). The one thing you get by waiting a long time is superior versions, slimmer/quieter/cheaper/better cooling etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #279
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I will for sure get my games now at Target. I'm thinking for sure I want BF4, and Knack. Then maybe for the free one I'll get Killzone.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #280
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Well, I just traded in most of my Xbox games today and used the credit to purchase a PS3 console (500GB + GTA5 bundle). I have a newbie question: When I logged into the game for the first time, it asks me to fill in several info such as timezone and language. But it also asks me to create an User ID name for the console. Is that the name I'll be using for PSN? If not, then can I create a name without registering with PSN first? Thanks.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #281
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Well, I just traded in most of my Xbox games today and used the credit to purchase a PS3 console (500GB + GTA5 bundle). I have a newbie question: When I logged into the game for the first time, it asks me to fill in several info such as timezone and language. But it also asks me to create an User ID name for the console. Is that the name I'll be using for PSN? If not, then can I create a name without registering with PSN first? Thanks.
Yeah the USER ID and PSN Username is different.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #282
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Yeah the USER ID and PSN Username is different.
I see. So, the User ID name can be anything I want it to be, then after getting into the main menu then I can create a PSN ID name from there? And can I change the name later, or is it permanent?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #283
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
I see. So, the User ID name can be anything I want it to be, then after getting into the main menu then I can create a PSN ID name from there? And can I change the name later, or is it permanent?
Your PSN ID is permanent.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #284
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Looks like the whole cache vs. install thing for disc based games has been cleared up, link. Disc based games do install the full game to your HD in the background while you play, and in order for it to be removed you will have to manually delete it.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #285
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Yup, gotta get me a 1TB drive. If games are installing anyway I might as well go all digital..

Then again.. That blue box is pretty Sexy..

Revelation 22:20
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #286
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I need to get a 10TB drive. Or play games in a completely different style next gen just focusing on a few at a time until I'm completely done with them.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #287
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Installing games and then deleting the data when I'm done isn't that big of a deal. I've survived just fine on an 80gb drive. Still though, would be nice to have a 1Tb drive.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #288
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Yup, gotta get me a 1TB drive. If games are installing anyway I might as well go all digital..

Then again.. That blue box is pretty Sexy..
cant sell or trade digital games. Thats an advantage that retail games have that will prevent me from ever going all digital. I use my old purchases to fund my newer ones. It also serves as a buffer that if I purchase a game, I may not like, I have the option to make a profit off of it so that there is little loss on my part. Plus install from disc >>> downloading. 50gb is alot and will take some time to download. Even with the PlayGo feature, if you're internet is down or acting up, you are screwed.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #289
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Quote:
yeah. The PSN ID is permanent which I think sucks. It should be like the XBOX Live system, where you can change it for a fee.

as for the User ID, you can name it whatever you want, but for simplicity/consistency, I just use the same name as my PSN ID.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #290
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

PS4: The Ultimate Faq

Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #291
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
yeah. The PSN ID is permanent which I think sucks. It should be like the XBOX Live system, where you can change it for a fee.

as for the User ID, you can name it whatever you want, but for simplicity/consistency, I just use the same name as my PSN ID.
Surely this can be changed? It does indeed suck as most people end up with a crap name 1st time as they are just trying to play and being forced to choose a name quickly from a list where everything cool was taken over 6 years ago contributes to that. The Hype also used to have a no name-change policy and the average user-name was that much worse for it lol.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #292
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
cant sell or trade digital games. Thats an advantage that retail games have that will prevent me from ever going all digital. I use my old purchases to fund my newer ones. It also serves as a buffer that if I purchase a game, I may not like, I have the option to make a profit off of it so that there is little loss on my part. Plus install from disc >>> downloading. 50gb is alot and will take some time to download. Even with the PlayGo feature, if you're internet is down or acting up, you are screwed.
Yeah, even with PS+ games that are free, I'm always a little unhappy with downloading them because sometimes they take up a lot of space and even though I have space and can always delete/re-download them, it is more of a hassle than just putting in a disc. That's why I don't think I can ever fully get behind just buying games digitally.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #293
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.
That sucks. The PS3 and even one of my TVs does that.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #294
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Sony has started a Rewards Program. Seems like it'll take awhile to earn enough points for anything good, but it's not a bad idea to sign up.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #295
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Surely this can be changed? It does indeed suck as most people end up with a crap name 1st time as they are just trying to play and being forced to choose a name quickly from a list where everything cool was taken over 6 years ago contributes to that. The Hype also used to have a no name-change policy and the average user-name was that much worse for it lol.
The new faq still says PSN IDs can not be changed, so think long and hard before making one.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #296
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Which is why I just set up a new account that will be waiting for me when I get a PS4.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #297
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
The new faq still says PSN IDs can not be changed, so think long and hard before making one.
Oh I've got one already which isn't terrible but I wanted to change maybe both my gamertag and PSN ID to be the same. Wouldn't be losing much as I did more of my PS3 playing on my friend's PS3 (without using my PSN ID)anyway rather than my own. I assume that if I create a new one there won't be any problem even if I'm using it on someone else's console most of the time? This time I want to get trophies on the exclusive games or some games I might want to play twice like Destiny.

I wonder why they didn't change the name change policy to match Microsoft. If possible they could make money out of it (MSFT charges 800 MSP each time and I have some friends that have been through quite a few name changes) while helping out some gamers. Maybe it's something on the coding side.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #298
Havok83
Side-Kick

I believe you can change your name in Japan which makes this eve more puzzling

Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #299
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Fans of shooting (virtual) people in the face rejoice! You can do so with 2.25x more "real" pixels on screen with the PS4 console than its nearest console competitor in this year's Call of the Duty.

The resolution gap could narrow some time in the future.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-30-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #300
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

So.. It's still 720p...which was what everyone was saying last week. I mean, why can't it be 1080 native in both (because of the ESRAM)? I respect the guy for actually confirming this and not sweeping it under the rug but all this does is just prove the rumors/leaks correct.

Revelation 22:20

Last edited by Benstamania; 10-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Closed Thread