The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #701
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Default Re: Discussion: Abortion II

Stop trying to legislate what a human being can do with her own body. The end!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #702
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
Stop trying to legislate what a human being can do with her own body. The end!
No, I'm quite happy with keeping partial birth abortions illegal, thank you.

Granted, a lot of this was petty politics, but you do need some laws.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #703
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
The 30 miles thing though is a trap law. Basically the Texas State government knows alot of hospitals will not allow them admitting rights, which makes it impossible for alot of abortion clinics to pass that regulation since they might not meet that qualification
Never said their motives were pure....

In my opinion, the way to have made sure that the fetus was not viable and that the facilities were up to par would have been to do as most European countries do, make the cut off period around 14 -- 16 months. PLENTY OF TIME to make a decision, and set regulations on the doctors performing that they meet certain criteria for this surgery. What that criteria is? I would have to research further, but I do know that they longer the woman waits, the more of a chance of problems arises.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #704
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
and set regulations.........
Well that should be a non starter for Rick "I hate Regulations" Perry :P

Personally I believe with certain exception(life of the mother being the main one) abortions should be done in the first trimester. All that being said I think part of any abortion bill should funding for preventative care in the first place. This to me is where Republicans fail, they basically have a stick your head in the sand approach to trying to stop abortion

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #705
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has reinstated most of the restrictions that were overturned in District Court.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #706
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Recording Catches Anti-Abortionists Plotting How to Intimidate Women

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Liberal activists in Texas have released audio they say is from a training session for anti-abortion activists at the state Capitol earlier this month—audio in which trainers can be heard discussing their successes stalking patients and clinic workers, scaring women, and tricking them out of seeking the procedure.

The activists were gathered at the Texas Capitol in Austin for a "pro-life primer" titled "Keeping Abortion Facilities Closed." It's unclear how Progress Texas, the pro-choice group that released the audio, obtained its recording.

"We are committed to having silent counselors and prayer partners in front of every abortion facility during all hours that abortions are being performed," said the first speaker, identified by activists as Karen Garnett, executive director of the Catholic Pro-Life Committee of North Texas. She continues:

And part of that is so that we can track. We can track the number of women who choose life, the mothers who choose life. We can also track who works there. Who is your abortionist. How do we know who has privileges. Well you do that, it's totally legal to track license plates, right, so this way, the license plates are coming into any abortion facility—we have a very sophisticated little spreadsheet everybody can track. This way you can track whether or not a client comes back, if they turn away or come back.

This tracking is not meant to find the identity of a client, Garnett stresses, "but you'd have license plates, car make, model, description of the person. And then as far as the staff members and the abortionists, you can identify if you got a new abortionist."

Intimidating physicians who perform abortions seems to have been a major focus of the training course. A speaker believed to be Michael Demma, director of a Catholic group called Respect Life, brags on the recording about getting three of four clinics shut down in the Ft. Worth area, then adds somewhat ominously of the last remaining clinic: "They have two abortionists. We've been able to identify one in there and we're still searching for the other."

"These abortionists are feeling the pressure," Abby Johnson, organizer of the session, adds. "I think they feel like they're on the run, and that's how we want to keep it. We want to keep pressure high on them and [let] them know that they can move wherever they want—they can move down the road or to another city—and we're still gonna be outside their clinics."

Garnett adds that the anti-abortion activists' intimidating presence alone deterred many women from seeking treatment at the targeted centers:

When we're out there, we're helping moms choose life, we've got the sidewalk lined with people, Abby tells us that the number of canceled appointments, no-shows, just because they don't want to drive in because they see our presence there. That's one impact.

Pro-choice advocates say the audio also suggests that anti-abortion activists "also spread misinformation about clinics in order to specifically target low-income patients." They cite a presentation attributed to Eileen Romano of a group called 40 Days for Life in which she says her activists used "the street talk" to pass on an untrue rumor that the abortion clinic was shutting down.

"The poorer ones that are going there for abortions, they heard that it was going to close, so they quit going there and started going to Hope Clinic," she says, referring to an anti-abortion women's clinic. "Because they thought [the abortion clinic] was closed and they didn't have transportation to get there. God is good."
http://progresstexas.org/blog/underc...bortion-groups

These people are scum, it's a woman's choice and she shouldn't be bullied into having a child she may not be able to care for. These idiots are all about the rights of the unborn but when they are born and need government assistance to eat screw that, it's the mothers problem then

Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #707
Spooderman
Side-Kick

I think we should get rid of the Hyde Amendment. Women on medicare and Medicaid deserve to be e their abortions covered regardless if it was caused by rape or not.

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #708
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Yeah, when the Supreme Court is letting companies opt out of providing their employees contraceptives, I really doubt they're going to make people foot the bills for elective abortions.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #709
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Yeah, when the Supreme Court is letting companies opt out of providing their employees contraceptives, I really doubt they're going to make people foot the bills for elective abortions.
Hopefully some of those conservative judges will die and get replaced. Normally I don't endorse democrats, but I think 2014 is a good year to vote then into congress.

Plus the situation is different. One is expanding medicare coverage, the other is targeting private businesses that give health insurance. While I oppose the hobby lobby decision, here's less of a reason to go to court for that than federal funded abortions.

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #710
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Except that half the population would oppose it.

The only people who would fight for that are feminists, and some really far left Democrats.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #711
Destructus86
Side-Kick

If this was a religious issue than according to the bible a baby isn't considered life until they take their first breath. (which contradicts the typical western evangelical belief)

But since this isn't a religious issue I'd say it's more of an issue of conscience and of the definition of life.

To be honest...i'm very uncomfortable with abortion past a certain point in the pregnancy. I would say a good "off limits" point would be after 5 months. Though I also believe there should be circumstances that allow for abortions after that point (namely rape victims or severe retardation that's detectable)

I feel that allowing full abortions at anytime can create a dehumanization of life in a person and takes away self-responsibility. Ie...if you do the deed, you have to expect something might happen. In this culture we already have way too much of a problem with people feeling they shouldn't have consequences for their actions (especially teens) and allowing full abortions at any time just encourages that belief more)

Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #712
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
If this was a religious issue than according to the bible a baby isn't considered life until they take their first breath. (which contradicts the typical western evangelical belief)

But since this isn't a religious issue I'd say it's more of an issue of conscience and of the definition of life.

To be honest...i'm very uncomfortable with abortion past a certain point in the pregnancy. I would say a good "off limits" point would be after 5 months. Though I also believe there should be circumstances that allow for abortions after that point (namely rape victims or severe retardation that's detectable)

I feel that allowing full abortions at anytime can create a dehumanization of life in a person and takes away self-responsibility. Ie...if you do the deed, you have to expect something might happen. In this culture we already have way too much of a problem with people feeling they shouldn't have consequences for their actions (especially teens) and allowing full abortions at any time just encourages that belief more)
I agree with you. I think that if a woman gets pregnant and decides she doesn't want the baby, she should end it as soon as possible. Waiting for a few months seems almost cruel. If you want to end it, why wait? As you said, I can also see later term abortions if it was rape or there is an illness or disorder that will eventually kill the child anyways.

“I’m bored” is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless, it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say “I’m bored.” - Louis C.K.
CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #713
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post

I agree with you here. My view on abortion has been if you want one, you better be able to pay for it yourself and do it soon enough that you don't get past a certain development stage of the fetus (5 months is a pretty good cut-off point.) The government shouldn't be covering something that most can afford out-of-pocket and typically a very elective procedure, unless there's something medically impactful about the whole pregnancy.