The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: Ragnarok

Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Default The Director of THOR 3

Despite it's flaws, I quite enjoyed Thor: The Dark World and felt it was a step above from the first movie. However given the onslaught of rumours about production troubles, Marvel being unhappy with Alan Taylor, a replaced composer and Taylor openly being unhappy about the mid-credits scene and other stuff, it's unlikely he'll be asked to helm the third movie. Plus he's probably directing the Terminator reboot for 2015, which would probably get in the way of another Thor.

Based on release patterns, I'll take a guess and say Thor 3 will hit cinemas 2016. But who do you want to direct? Taylor? Branagh back? Someone else? My personal vote goes to Francis Lawrence - director of I Am Legend and the upcoming Hunger Games sequels, which look fantastic. What about you?

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: The Director of THOR 3

Aww I liked Thor TDW and thought Alan Taylor was great.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I say bring back Taylor, oh and Smaville Fan what did you rate Thor: The Dark World.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I want Branagh back, in my opinion Thor 1 is far more superior than the Dark World. But I doubt he'll be back.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

On principle, I prefer they select a different director for the film. The beauty of the MCU is that each sequel reflects a different artistic direction, like the comics do. I would like them to keep pumping fresh blood into the MCU, instead of using the same source for too long.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I'd like Taylor back too, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Since Branagh has Cinderella, another big-budget Disney movie, opening in 2015 he probably wouldn't have time to direct Thor 3 as well but it could happen, Francis Lawrence has Hunger Games in 2015 and I want him for the third movie.

Maybe Marvel should get a TV guy again. It's worked the past few times, and seems to be excellent with the Russo Bros in Winter Soldier.

Quote:
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 11-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Silvermoth
Avenger

Someone suggested Vadim jean who has directed a lot of the discworld tv adaptions last time. He would be perfect for this. Exciting, cost effective for marvel, knows where to put the comedy

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Neil Marshall!!!

Eddie Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
On principle, I prefer they select a different director for the film. The beauty of the MCU is that each sequel reflects a different artistic direction, like the comics do. I would like them to keep pumping fresh blood into the MCU, instead of using the same source for too long.
IM2. AoU.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Someone suggested Vadim jean who has directed a lot of the discworld tv adaptions last time. He would be perfect for this. Exciting, cost effective for marvel, knows where to put the comedy
Interesting, I thought those adaptations were pretty good. Wouldn't mind Jean directing at all

Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Unlikely to happen, but I'd really like Guillermo Del Toro to take a crack at Thor. It'd be exciting from a visual standpoint, as Del Toro can bring his imaginative designs to the Nine Realms. And Pacific Rim showed he can really bring the epic action when needed.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Lord
All Mighty

What production problems? Didn't know there were any with Dark World

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

The composer left, there were apparently arguments between Taylor and Feige about the film's running time, none of the cast or crew except Hiddleston turning up for SDCC, reshoots and Taylor was unhappy with the mid-credits scene.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Octoberist
point blank

I've heard that Taylor DURING THE SHOOT was pretty good. His issues however dealt with the post-production. Mostly.

Also, the composer didn't leave; he got kicked off. Taylor wanted one composer, and Feige wanted another.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Ah I hope the issues aren't as bad as it sounds, I liked Taylor's direction in this movie.

I just saw the film again for a second time and I really, really enjoyed it. Taylor for Thor 3!!

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

I can't say I'm surprised. When watching that movie, you can't help but to get a slight hint of studio interference. I'm not sure how to explain it, but you can just kinda tell, especially given that I expected something in lieu of Game of Thrones and well, it didn't really turn out that way.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #17
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Branagh. Taylor wasn't able to nail down the characters and their relationships at all, while Branagh excelled at it. Also keep in mind that several of the cast members joined the project strictly because of Branaghs involvement, so the respect and admiration he commands from his cast is noteworthy.

TDW had the aesthetics, but the original had everything else.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #18
Lord
All Mighty

It could have been better (expecially when it comes to the villains development), but i think they did a great job in the middle of all this confusion, i enjoyed it more than the first film, and the climax was quite creative and fun. I think it felt like a middle chapter in the MCU's Phase II, and the involvement of the gem made the film look more like an event.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I've heard that Taylor DURING THE SHOOT was pretty good. His issues however dealt with the post-production. Mostly.

Also, the composer didn't leave; he got kicked off. Taylor wanted one composer, and Feige wanted another.
Then that's even worse lol. Fortunately it doesn't look like Cap 2 will have these problems, thank goodness.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

The editors were also changed, though a big deal wasn't made about that.

What's telling is that Taylor hasn't backed down though. Instead of doing the expected 'Marvel ended up bringing in Brian Tyler and he did a great job...' he's been saying how he really wanted Burwell and he's not happy about that. It's a bit refreshing actually.

FWIW Branagh wraps Cinderella mid next year, I don't know whether that rules him out or not. Disney clearly like him at least.

Last edited by ddddeeee; 11-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Despite it's flaws, I quite enjoyed Thor: The Dark World and felt it was a step above from the first movie. However given the onslaught of rumours about production troubles, Marvel being unhappy with Alan Taylor, a replaced composer and Taylor openly being unhappy about the mid-credits scene and other stuff, it's unlikely he'll be asked to helm the third movie. Plus he's probably directing the Terminator reboot for 2015, which would probably get in the way of another Thor.

Based on release patterns, I'll take a guess and say Thor 3 will hit cinemas 2016. But who do you want to direct? Taylor? Branagh back? Someone else? My personal vote goes to Francis Lawrence - director of I Am Legend and the upcoming Hunger Games sequels, which look fantastic. What about you?
Lawrence is a mediocre filmmaker. I'd rather they look for someone better.

I too doubt Taylor will be back. Seems that tensions were on during post on Thor 2. As much as I liked the 1st Thor, I'd rather see a 3rd director than see Branagh come back. No disrespect to Branagh. He did a great job with the st film, but Taylor did creative things to expand the world of Asgard in 2, so I'd like to see a 3rd director come in and get a chance to do the same.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Then that's even worse lol. Fortunately it doesn't look like Cap 2 will have these problems, thank goodness.
Taylor seems to have more of a Vaughn-esque personality, which Marvel seems to clash with. It's funny that while Thor: TDW had all these things going on, the Russos appear to have gotten along swimingly with Marvel. I am thinking the Russos may even stay on for Cap 3 at this rate (at least, more likely than Taylor doing Thor 3 is). Based off the Cap 2 trailer, I think they should try hard to keep the Russos for Cap 3

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Sorry but I can't agree on the Lawrence part. Have you read the Catching Fire reviews? 94% on RT with 107 fresh reviews so far, insane word of mouth and tracking - might even beat Iron Man 3 - the lot. Bagging Lawrence would be great.

I to hope the Russos stay on for Cap 3.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Lawrence had a great script, set-up, cast, and film friendly book handed to him on a plate. His job was not to **** up, he isn't a visionary. Though I'd imagine not ****ing up is in the contract for every non-Whedon Marvel director.

I saw and loved Catching Fire btw.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry but I can't agree on the Lawrence part. Have you read the Catching Fire reviews? 94% on RT with 107 fresh reviews so far, insane word of mouth and tracking - might even beat Iron Man 3 - the lot. Bagging Lawrence would be great.

I to hope the Russos stay on for Cap 3.
I Am Legend was an awful representation of the book (totally butchered what the story was about). Also, he made Constantine. That too sucked. Yes, Catching Fire is getting good reviews. That makes exactly 1 good film he has made. Good for him. His track record is still one of mediocrity and crap. In the case of Catching Fire, it looks like he had a good script to go off of. Bagging Lawrence would mean for a mediocre or crappy Thor sequel unless he had an amazing script. The script was a weakness of Thor: TDW (it's strengths were visual). I think handed the Thor 2 script, Taylor makes a better movie than Lawrence would have. I'd rather see Marvel hire a talented director. Not a mediocre one.