The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Discuss.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Reposted from my review in the Fan Review Thread.

Story lacked heart - The first film worked for me because it brought human dimension to the story of Thor's banishment and learning humility. This, plus the focus on his relationship with Odin and Loki gave us some great drama and managed to be very heartfelt. The Dark World on the other hand, is simply about Malekith wanting to gain control of the Aether, a flowing piece of Dark Matter that accidentally bonds with Jane Foster. Said storyline could have offered some emotion or drama, but it never really does. The only scenes that moved me in any way was Frigga's death and Thor's scenes with Loki. It's time like these that I really miss Kenneth Branagh's direction.

Odin the Jerkfather - What the hell?!! Why is Odin suddenly so cold and heartless here? What happened to the wise and compassionate ruler in the first film? Did the writers turn his character around just to add some drama? What a waste of an great actor like Anthony Hopkins

Malekith - Beyond being absolutely intimidating whenever he appears, nothing about Malekith makes him a memorable villain. A shame, since Christopher Eccleston could have really killed it in this role if they gave him more stuff to do, instead like Hopkins he seems wasted.

New Score- I loved Patrick Doyle's score in Thor, and I was sorely missing it here. Brian Tyler's score for The Dark World is not bad, but it's much too loud and bombastic. And doesn't offer the same sweeping and intimate moments that Doyle's score had.

Last edited by horacethegrey; 10-31-2013 at 11:24 AM.
horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Over reliance on comedy. Ruined alot of what little sense of drama there was.

Annoying characters such as Dennings.

A very mediocre and generic plot/story, cloaked in jokes.

A very generic, one dimensional and bland villain.

Lacked heart and brain.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Too much humour, underdeveloped villain. Lacked heart of the first film.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
J.Howlett

God, I hope I don't have the same reaction as you guys because I love this cast and I love the potential of this franchise.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
God, I hope I don't have the same reaction as you guys because I love this cast and I love the potential of this franchise.
It's not a cinematic disaster by any means, but it doesn't reach or exceed the highs of the first film as it should. This is not a failed sequel like X-Men Origins: Wolverine or Spider-Man 3.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacethegrey View Post
It's not a cinematic disaster by any means, but it doesn't reach the highs of the first film as it should. This is not a failed sequel like X-Men Origins : Wolverine or Spider-Man 3.
What "highs" of the first film are you speaking of?

I put Thor in my 2a/2b category with TIH. I loved it to death, but it's a flawed movie. As time has gone on, the film got incredibly smaller, more kept to me.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

It's funny how when Thor came out everyone was like "meh", now it's being highly regarded all of a sudden.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I really dont like the fact that I have not seen it yet !

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Jack O Lantern
Mad Jack

Kat Dennings was super annoying in this film.

The humour fell short. Thor having to get a train back to the final undercut any importance to that fight.

Ultimately though, nothing happens in this movie. The character's do not change or learn anything. Their relationships do not change and the main characters are essentially in the same place at the end of the movie as they were in the beginning.

I also take issue with how women were portrayed in this movie. Thor's mother is murdered so we can feel bad for the men in her life; it's the classic women in refrigerator rubbish. Also, Thor spends the two years between this and the last film bringing peace to the universe, while Jane spends it pining after Thor and apparently not even showering.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
What "highs" of the first film are you speaking of?

I put Thor in my 2a/2b category with TIH. I loved it to death, but it's a flawed movie.
Mostly emotional highs, Thor was a rousing and touching film for me. Kenneth Branagh did a wonderful job in making us invested in the familial struggle between Thor, Loki and Odin. We weep for Thor when he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir and that his actions may have damned to be forever exiled, just as we cheer for him when he gets back the hammer and reconciles with his father.

That's what The Dark World lacked big time. Any genuine emotion to make us care for these characters.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

I was reading that Darcy is in the film more than the Warriors 3. I hate Darcy with every fibre of my being.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
It's funny how when Thor came out everyone was like "meh", now it's being highly regarded all of a sudden.
Really? I thought most of the comic book fandom loved it. I never got the impression that most people thought it was "meh".

Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Nathan

Is this basically Iron Man 3 all over again?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Really? I thought most of the comic book fandom loved it. I never got the impression that most people thought it was "meh".
Yeah most people weren't to crazy about, it's not very high on most ppl's ranking of the MCU films.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah most people weren't to crazy about, it's not very high on most ppl's ranking of the MCU films.
I do find it ironic as well. It played decently with audiences, but for the hardcore CB fans here it wasn't like that. There was quite a varied opinion.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's actually my favorite MCU film. Yes, even more than the first Iron Man or The Avengers.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Mostly emotional highs, Thor was a rousing and touching film for me. Kenneth Branagh did a wonderful job in making us invested in the familial struggle between Thor, Loki and Odin. We weep for Thor when he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir and that his actions may have damned to be forever exiled, just as we cheer for him when he gets back the hammer and reconciles with his father.

That's what The Dark World lacked big time. Any genuine emotion to make us care for these characters.
Where would you have placed that "emotional" high then?

They can't do it literally beat for beat in this sequel, otherwise they're making the same movie all over again.

I figured elements like the Loki trial would potentially satisfy that element. What about Thor/Loki? Do we not get to see the white elephant in the room about their relationship?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I don't like that I haven't seen it yet.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Well contrary to what cbm fans think, Iron Man 3 is generally regarded ad a good film. Had it not been for that twist cbm fans would think it's a good film as well.

The "too much" humor complaint mostly stems from them needing another reason to say it's a bad film so they won't look silly.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

They manage to over explain and under explain the plot at the same time.

The prologue is too dense and overall quite poorly done.

Odin seems like a different character than the first, he's the angry Lee/Kirby Odin brought to life in this one so it's both a plus and a negative.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I don't like that I haven't seen it yet.
Hahahaha ... +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddeeee View Post
They manage to over explain and under explain the plot at the same time.

The prologue is too dense and overall quite poorly done.

Odin seems like a different character than the first, he's the angry Lee/Kirby Odin brought to life in this one so it's both a plus and a negative.
I will say this ..... when I first heard the voice over by Odin in the trailer, I kinda was hoping we'd get something more than a prologue. We got that in the first one already.

As for his anger, that's actually what I want because Loki has put the entire Nine Realms into chaos. I mentioned many times on here that if we didn't get a scene with him dressing down Loki because of his actions, it would've been a majorly wasted opportunity.

That's where the emotional meat was. When they mentioned this film took place 1.5 years after The Avengers, it seemed like we wouldn't get to see it.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Where would you have placed that "emotional" high then?

They can't do it literally beat for beat in this sequel, otherwise they're making the same movie all over again.

I figured elements like the Loki trial would potentially satisfy that element. What about Thor/Loki? Do we not get to see the white elephant in the room about their relationship?
No one is asking for more of the same. All I ask is that the filmmakers make us care for what's happening onscreen. Was it too much to ask for some drama regarding Jane's exposure to the Aether? There should be some suspense whether this thing was going to kill her or not, and how Thor deals with it, since this is the woman he loves. But the movie never bothers with it.

As for Loki, he doesn't have much of a part in the main plot, so whatever happens to him is inconsequential. What was his purpose other than to provide Thor a means to leave Asgard and back him up when they face Malekith? I did like that he and Thor got their little chance to talk, but in the grand scheme of the film, it feels like an isolated moment.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O Lantern View Post
Ultimately though, nothing happens in this movie. The character's do not change or learn anything. Their relationships do not change and the main characters are essentially in the same place at the end of the movie as they were in the beginning.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I disagree about that. Thor ends up not wanting the throne and seemingly leaves Asgard for Midgard, only to come back as a protector if needed. Definitely not where he started.

We don't really know where Odin ends but he also changes in that he shows that he's not flawless and succumbs to grief and feelings of vengeance. Not like what we've seen before.

Loki ends up the same, as he should as it's his nature, but he still has an arc where he actually gets to show a more compassionate side and that he isn't just rotten to the core as Thor and Odin thought when this movie started.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Firgga's Death. they tried to make it dramatic, but she was the least developed character so it had no impact on me. Also it seemed just a way to get Thor to go after Malekith.

Contiunally stopping to explain the Convergance and Aether over and over.

Selvig. Everything about him was just juvenile comedy.

The simple comedy. jokes deisgned for cheap laughs like the phone call on the Dark World, Captain America ect..

Portman kind of phoned it in.

The Earth subplot. i didn't care about their scientific stuff or the budding romance between Darcy and her toyboy.

Loki dying then coming straight back minutes later, MCU keeps pulling this crap.

Malekith, he ws nothing, and his henchmen guy pretty much just the muscle to be pointed at the hero for the sake of a scrap.

Seeing the big shock moments coming because they were predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Over reliance on comedy. Ruined alot of what little sense of drama there was.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Too much humour, underdeveloped villain. Lacked heart of the first film.
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O Lantern View Post
Kat Dennings was super annoying in this film.

The humour fell short. Thor having to get a train back to the final undercut any importance to that fight.

Agreed on both points. For the big battle it kept being interupted for Darcy or Jane and when it was action it was more or less just falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Yes, but more entertaining at least

Quote:
Well contrary to what cbm fans think, Iron Man 3 is generally regarded ad a good film. Had it not been for that twist cbm fans would think it's a good film as well..
Twist was the biggest problem, not the only problem

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-31-2013 at 12:55 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote