The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default MCU: Your Thoughts About The Infinity Stones (SPOILERS INSIDE)

This thread contains spoilers for everyone who hasn't seen T:TDW yet, but I want to have a place to discuss this topic without being spread over multiple threads in various subforums. So for those of you in the know:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Now we know that in the MCU the stones are not gems but objects of great power, that can be any shape or consitency, even objects that in the 616 universe are a completely different entity.
We already encountered two of them, the Tesseract and the Aether. Personally I find it brillant, that they dangled the first gem right before our noses throughout Phase 1. Reimagining the Cosmic Cube, which is an artefact of enormous power, as one of the stones was something that wasn't speculated by anyone here on this board or elewhere and came with a surprise and it makes me wonder about the nature of the other stones. will they be objects, we already know in some form or the other from 616 or will they be completely made up like the Aether? My money is on a good mixture and I guess every new McGuffin introduced in the next 1 1/2 Phases is suspicious from now on. Shape or size don't matter any more.
I guess GotG introduces the next stone, after all, this movie has the closest ties to Thanos and the collector and the new banner even features a strange new object prominently

And after that? I guess a Dr. Strange movie is the right place to introduce number 4, but I can't see one of them appearing in Ant-Man or A:AoU or in any of the cap movies. That leaves us with Thor 3 for Gem 5 and a possible GotG 2 or A3 with Gem 6. but this would make Phase 3 kinda repetitive with a lot of franchises depending on a powerful McGuffin that will be to overcome or gathered. Maybe they stretch it out to Phase 4 and Thanos won't be the supposed villain of A3, but saved for later?

Another thought. In 616 every stone controls a very specific force. I didn't get the impression both the Tesseract and the Aether were similar to that depiction. both were incredible powerful objects but not defined by a force as it seemed. Or were they? It was often believed that Loki was using the mind gem in TA. could that still be true? his staff was powered by the Tesseract, would that make the Tesseract the mind gem? if so, maybe we have to rethink all ARC reactor thories or is Tony Starks suit mind powered now?
If the Tesseract is the mind gem, what about the Aether?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 11-01-2013 at 08:10 AM.
R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: MCU: Your Thoughts About The Infinity Stones (SPOILERS INSIDE)

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of more Stones gathered in CATWS and even AOU. Feige said that the "Macguffin" from GOTG would play into AOU, so, if GOTG features Stone #3, AOU might feature Stone #4. (Or even #5, if CATWS reveals one.)

Should be plenty of time/space for the Gauntlet to show up by Avengers 3.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
ctsketch
Side-Kick

They are the Horcruxes of the MCU! popping up all over the place. I wonder if they will keep their names?

Like the tesseract being the Mind Gem
And the Aether being the Reality gem or something?

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of more Stones gathered in CATWS and even AOU. Feige said that the "Macguffin" from GOTG would play into AOU, so, if GOTG features Stone #3, AOU might feature Stone #4. (Or even #5, if CATWS reveals one.)

I'd rather see more stones that are NOT hidden on earth

Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

lol. the existence of this thread is most assuredly a spoiler.

So I've already expressed a lot of thoughts on the matter. But I'll clear my mind of any recent ideas. Keep in mind I haven't seen Thor 2.
- I think The Aether and The Tesseract are both considered Infinity Stones in the MCU. I also think they (generally speaking) will NOT be specific to certain fields (Mind/Space/Soul/Time/Reality/Power). But rather they will each be stones of a generic "limitless energy."
- If the Tesseract does have a specific denomination my guess is space (even though it's blue).
- If the Aether does have a specific denomination my guess reality (even though its supposedly red?)
- Calling them "Infinity Stones" rather than "Infinisty Gems" kinda lends to this idea as well. Being that gems are usually set into something and that these may never have a gauntlet. Or if they do have a gauntlet they will just float around it rather than be embedded into it. All just speculation of course.
- I do still think The Magus will have an Infinity Stone. Probably not til a GotG sequel.
- I also still think Red Skull will stumble across another Stone in his absence from the MCU.
- Do I think Ultron will be powered by one? eh... possibly. Not sure at this point.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 11-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I'd rather see more stones that are NOT hidden on earth
what about created on earth?

Might sound blasphemous. But it could be a "destiny" type dynamic that they are all gathering now because something awakened them all. And with Ultron's creation comes the fabrication of another stone. Food for thought.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
This thread contains spoilers for everyone who hasn't seen T:TDW yet, but I want to have a place to discuss this topic without being spread over multiple threads in various subforums. So for those of you in the know:

Now we know that in the MCU the stones are not gems but objects of great power, that can be any shape or consitency, even objects that in the 616 universe are a completely different entity.
We already encountered two of them, the Tesseract and the Aether. Personally I find it brillant, that they dangled the first gem right before our noses throughout Phase 1. Reimagining the Cosmic Cube, which is an artefact of enormous power, as one of the stones was something that wasn't speculated by anyone here on this board or elewhere and came with a surprise and it makes me wonder about the nature of the other stones. will they be objects, we already know in some form or the other from 616 or will they be completely made up like the Aether? My money is on a good mixture and I guess every new McGuffin introduced in the next 1 1/2 Phases is suspicious from now on. Shape or size don't matter any more.
I guess GotG introduces the next stone, after all, this movie has the closest ties to Thanos and the collector and the new banner even features a strange new object prominently

And after that? I guess a Dr. Strange movie is the right place to introduce number 4, but I can't see one of them appearing in Ant-Man or A:AoU or in any of the cap movies. That leaves us with Thor 3 for Gem 5 and a possible GotG 2 or A3 with Gem 6. but this would make Phase 3 kinda repetitive with a lot of franchises depending on a powerful McGuffin that will be to overcome or gathered. Maybe they stretch it out to Phase 4 and Thanos won't be the supposed villain of A3, but saved for later?

Another thought. In 616 every stone controls a very specific force. I didn't get the impression both the Tesseract and the Aether were similar to that depiction. both were incredible powerful objects but not defined by a force as it seemed. Or were they? It was often believed that Loki was using the mind gem in TA. could that still be true? his staff was powered by the Tesseract, would that make the Tesseract the mind gem? if so, maybe we have to rethink all ARC reactor thories or is Tony Starks suit mind powered now?
If the Tesseract is the mind gem, what about the Aether?
I think the Aether is the power stone. I want to say the Tesseract is space, because of all of the portal opening and transporting it has done. But that wouldn't explain Loki controlling Hawkeye and others...perhaps the staff is already designed for mental control, with the power of the cube activating it. Like the Skull and SHIELD using the cube to make weapons with different capabilities than Loki's spear, it can be used to power a wide array of things. But that's with modification and tech. Without all of that, the cube's natural ability is to open portals, which is why I'm thinking space. I'd imagine the grip of the mind stone to be stronger than Loki's spear. Certainly strong enough to withstand a good head bump on a hard surface.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I think the Aether is the power stone. I want to say the Tesseract is space, because of all of the portal opening and transporting it has done. But that wouldn't explain Loki controlling Hawkeye and others...perhaps the staff is already designed for mental control, with the power of the cube activating it. Like the Skull and SHIELD using the cube to make weapons with different capabilities than Loki's spear, it can be used to power a wide array of things. But that's with modification and tech. Without all of that, the cube's natural ability is to open portals, which is why I'm thinking space. I'd imagine the grip of the mind stone to be stronger than Loki's spear. Certainly strong enough to withstand a good head bump on a hard surface.
I think the specializations for each stone may be one of those things that Joss is allowing to "fall by the wayside."

I'm not saying for sure one way or the other at this point. But the stones may just be generic "unlimited energy" and with all 6 one has the power to alter any of those six things (mind, reality, etc.)

Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
what about created on earth?

Might sound blasphemous. But it could be a "destiny" type dynamic that they are all gathering now because something awakened them all. And with Ultron's creation comes the fabrication of another stone. Food for thought.
Tony created a new element did he not? I think an earth created artefact could certainly be on the cards.

henzINNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Anyway great thread topic I imagine it'll be one of my most visited for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
lol. the existence of this thread is most assuredly a spoiler.
I don't know, is it? we've been discussing the infinity gauntlet and stones since about 1 1/2 years now to various degrees

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

So how did sif and Vorstagg get this one? they just appeared to have it

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I don't know, is it? we've been discussing the infinity gauntlet and stones since about 1 1/2 years now to various degrees
oh, yeah but calling it a spoiler would lead someone to think they shouldn't know about it? and generally we call them gems? idk lol i was mostly joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Hm... not even sure how to start thinking about what it is.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:

Hm... not even sure how to start thinking about what it is.
one of those fancy Quidditch balls

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
So how did sif and Vorstagg get this one? they just appeared to have it
I'm sure they get it after Thor takes down Malekith.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

the next few years will be our own Infinty Quest, finding out who they'll appear, what they are, what they do, how it all fits together..

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I hope the Soul Stone is literally Adam Warlock himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

When did he say that? All I remember him saying was that the MacGuffin in Guardians would be related to previous MacGuffins from past films and future film.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Eye of Agamotto = reality?

(I speak as someone who hasn't actually seen either of these in a comic, and really shouldn't be spoiling myself in this thread in the first place...)

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
Eye of Agamotto = reality?

(I speak as someone who hasn't actually seen either of these in a comic, and really shouldn't be spoiling myself in this thread in the first place...)
good thinking actually. that might very well be.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's definitely a new and interesting take on the Gems (or Stones as they're calling them now). It looks like the whole "Loki's spear was using the Mind Gem" theory was true, just not in the way that people thought.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Nola.FX

Given the information out in the wild, I'd suggest the following..call me crazy but..
The Tesseract is indeed the Power Stone, as it's been mentioned numerous times to have limitless power.

The Stone in Loki's Sceptar/Staff is the Mind Stone, confirmed everywhere.

The Aether is undoubtedly the Reality Stone, as Jane Foster says something to the affect that " the fabric of reality being torn apart."

The stone featured in GotG, will probably be the Space Stone.

That all being said, that leaves us with 2 remaining stones.
I agree with the theory that the Eye of Amagotto will be a stone, almost certainly the Soul Stone.

NOW, for the crazy theory involving the final stone. the Time Stone will be introduced in the Age of Ultron..How? By having Scarlet Witch find the Time Stone, somewhere on Earth, which they use to take a note from the AoU Comic & kill Ultrons creator, Tony Stark. Go back in time to the surgery to remove his Arc Reactor in China, have some complications, BAM, gone.. This will explain the absence of Tony in phase 3, & possibly beyond. Once all the Stones are reunited, or at least the Reality Stone, to bring Tony back for the third Avengers film.

Last edited by Nola.FX; 11-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Nola.FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
Loki882
Side-Kick

Maybe one of the stones is tied into the Inhumans as well, perhaps even the Terrigan Mists.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm very interested with these infinity stones! It makes me want to watch MCU movies more.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #25
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola.FX View Post
Given the information out in the wild, I'd suggest the following..call me crazy but..
The Tesseract is indeed the Power Stone, as it's been mentioned numerous times to have limitless power.

The Stone in Loki's Sceptar/Staff is the Mind Stone, confirmed everywhere.

The Aether is undoubtedly the Reality Stone, as Jane Foster says something to the affect that " the fabric of reality being torn apart."

The stone featured in GotG, will probably be the Space Stone.

That all being said, that leaves us with 2 remaining stones.
I agree with the theory that the Eye of Amagotto will be a stone, almost certainly the Soul Stone.

NOW, for the crazy theory involving the final stone. the Time Stone will be introduced in the Age of Ultron..How? By having Scarlet Witch find the Time Stone, somewhere on Earth, which they use to take a note from the AoU Comic & kill Ultrons creator, Tony Stark. Go back in time to the surgery to remove his Arc Reactor in China, have some complications, BAM, gone.. This will explain the absence of Tony in phase 3, & possibly beyond. Once all the Stones are reunited, or at least the Reality Stone, to bring Tony back for the third Avengers film.
Interesting take, but I don't think we can separate the Tesseract from the "Gem" that powered Loki's Scepter. Nick Fury said, and Kevin Feige confirmed, that the Tesseract powered the Spear, so the Tesseract *is* the Infinity Stone. And that also jibes with something mentioned in TDW about there being *two* Stones in Asgard, at least temporarily.

Having the Time Gem/Stone show up in AOU is an interesting take, and I'm not entirely sure that the "Age" of Ultron isn't a deliberate hint about that story taking place in an alternate timeline or two, or three. But I also think that Winter Soldier might be a good place for that particular Stone to show up, since that movie deals quite a bit with the past converging violently with the present.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote