The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #201
bapi
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Clint Mansell, please!

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #202
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

If not Hans..

Hemsey, Drake, Bates

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #203
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Drake and McCreary are great composers, but the chances of them scoring this movie is very unlikely. Besides Drake already scored a Batman/Superman movie, albeit animated, but still. And Tyler Bates needs to retire from film scoring, imho. I don't even consider him an average composer.

As cool as it would be to see JNH return. I doubt he'd want to play second fiddle to Zimmer again. But I would be interested to hear his own Batman theme without following Zimmer's approach this time.

I doubt Zimmer will work with a composer who aren't from the MV/RC team unless that composer adapts to his style and approach. JNH did it for BB and TDK and even GL, which Zimmer hadn't any involvement in. But I don't see the point of hiring Balfe, Djawadi, Jablonsky, Jackman , etc. if it's going to be what we've already heard from the Nolan trilogy. If that's the case Zimmer might as well reuse his own TDKT theme/motif.

If I had my way I'd hire somebody else and he/she could adapt Zimmer's MOS theme (only for continuity sake) and composes his/her own Batman theme.

But I got a feeling he might hire somebody like Junkie XL or the like as a collaborator like Elayis mentioned above. He's collaborated with various artists on other films before.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #204
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I think Jackman is a capable, even good composer when he's given the right film or directions to go music-wise. His DWA stuff, like Puss in Boots and Monsters vs. Aliens, have a pleasing orchestral bounce. But when he goes into action territory, it's mostly bland MV/RC stuff. (It's not even the pleasing 1990s sound Ramin Djawadi resurrected for Pacific Rim.)

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #205
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Mark my words...if Zimmer comes back he will not be re-using his TDKT themes. He's been saying stuff like this publicly:

Quote:
Quite seriously, the thought right now is that no, I don't want to go and take what I did with Chris and just plonk it into another movie. There isn't one good reason to do it, and there are so many good reasons not to do it.
Couple that with his recent interview about Interstellar and about how he and Nolan feel his sound from the Batman movies has spread too much in Hollywood and that they both want to do something different, it seems pretty clear that he's looking back on his TDKT scores as something from the past that he doesn't really want to revisit.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #206
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

^
Rightly so and for me personally BB was a breathe of fresh air and TDK was revolutionary for the genre and cinema on a whole. TDKR and MOS fell back into generic waters apart from maybe one or two tracks but I think Zimmer knows this which is why he wants to stay away and get some fresh inspiration from another source.

Isearch4dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #207
floreairfoot
There's a storm coming.

I thought the whole "deshi deshi" stuff was pretty unique, and that was basically TDKR theme song...

TDK took a lot from BB and tweaked it; that's exactly what TDKR did with some of the same music.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #208
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I loved the TDKR score for the most part personally, but overall I agree that it's time for Zimmer to move on from that style. I think he's also getting "sequeled out" a bit too, as he was also recently quoted as saying he didn't enjoy working on Pirates for.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #209
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by floreairfoot View Post
I thought the whole "deshi deshi" stuff was pretty unique, and that was basically TDKR theme song...

TDK took a lot from BB and tweaked it; that's exactly what TDKR did with some of the same music.
Yea 'deshi deshi' was unique in terms of how it was put together but I guess I'm talking more on the front of how effective a soundtrack is used in the actual movie which is probably more sound design. The thing that made me see TDK as a game changer was the way it made you forget that you were listening to a soundtrack and also effectively heightened the visuals on screen (Joker tension build up note). Also the tracks weren't as repetitive as TDKR and MOS. Just my onionpini

Isearch4dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #210
the last son
Side-Kick

I guess Journey To The Line is just going to be the official trailer music for the rest of life.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #211
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

http://latino-review.com/2013/10/mar...g-spiderman-2/

seriously, i want daft punk for BvS, cause i so want metropolis to look like la in blade runner in the daytime after it's reconstruction.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 10-31-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: tron legacy soundtrack
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #212
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

anybody else feel betrayed that Hans Zimmer is doing the music for The Amazing Spiderman 2? I mean, why, he should be only the DC guy .. It's like if Nolan direct a Marvel movie

DIRECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #213
the last son
Side-Kick

No. I want to hear Zimmer score as much as he possibly can.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #214
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

oh fanboys

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #215
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

If anybody should feel betrayed that Zimmer & co. are scoring TAS-M2 it's Horner. Since Webb, who was pleased with his score for TASM, replaced him with the likes of Zimmer. Besides I'd rather Zimmer retire from superhero movies for good. And focus on more intimate and dramatic films e.g."Twelve Years A Slave". Instead of tooting his own horn about how "innovative" and "unique" his next score will be from the rest of film music, when in reality it really isn't that much different from his previous work.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #216
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
anybody else feel betrayed that Hans Zimmer is doing the music for The Amazing Spiderman 2? I mean, why, he should be only the DC guy .. It's like if Nolan direct a Marvel movie
Of course not. But I do feel Zimmer has become too ubiquitous in the industry. He himself has even alluded to this, saying his patented sound has become too common. There are plenty of great composers out there who can be given the chance to do scores for these kinds of big, franchise pictures. I don't have anything against Zimmer per se but the studios should be more daring and inventive in who they hire.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #217
the last son
Side-Kick

Anyone know how to edit a song? I'm looking for the last three minutes of general zod theme by itself to listen to on my ipod. My mixer broke, so now I can't edit.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #218
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
If anybody should feel betrayed that Zimmer & co. are scoring TAS-M2 it's Horner. Since Webb, who was pleased with his score for TASM, replaced him with the likes of Zimmer. Besides I'd rather Zimmer retire from superhero movies for good. And focus on more intimate and dramatic films e.g."Twelve Years A Slave". Instead of tooting his own horn about how "innovative" and "unique" his next score will be from the rest of film music, when in reality it really isn't that much different from his previous work.
I was actually watching Gladiator the other day and the music in the section where Maximus attempts to break out of Rome sounds so much like Zimmer's Pirates music it's jarring.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #219
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
It could be that Studio was putting pressure on Webb to get Zimmer.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #220
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
It could be that Studio was putting pressure on Webb to get Zimmer.
You'd figure with ASM enjoying that success it had last year, Sony would give Webb much more creative freedom (including composer choice). They allowed him to shoot in 35mm and on location in NYC... so I don't know why they didn't let him bring Horner on.

Sony didn't force Danny Elfman off the Spider-Man films, although that was Raimi's doing.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #221
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Of course not. But I do feel Zimmer has become too ubiquitous in the industry. He himself has even alluded to this, saying his patented sound has become too common. There are plenty of great composers out there who can be given the chance to do scores for these kinds of big, franchise pictures. I don't have anything against Zimmer per se but the studios should be more daring and inventive in who they hire.

Speaking of which, I feel like Christopher Drake should score a live action DC movie. I think scoring both heroes would be the ultimate reward for doing a bulk of DC's animation stuff.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Though Kevin Manthei would be really neat.

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 11-06-2013 at 03:30 PM.
TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #222
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

All dat British goodness.

And Captain America.

All my wat.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #223
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Precisely. That is precisely how Zimmer got to his current position. What him and Newton-Howard did on Begins was out there for a superhero score back then. It all tended to be stuff in the Williams/Elfman vein back then.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #224
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

There's definitely kind of an electronic influence on Elfman's Spider-Man score.

Also I like the orchestral Williams/Elfman/Kamen approach

But yeah, Zimmer does unique stuff now and then, and then everyone copies him

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #225
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
There's definitely kind of an electronic influence on Elfman's Spider-Man score.
It's mostly electronic embellishments, like during the main titles. Christopher Young's score for Spider-Man 3 mostly omitted the electronics -- which was very apparent in the main titles. But he did a good job of incorporating Elfman's themes into his own score.

Now there's another name -- Christopher Young. He can write some incredible action music. And he can definitely do Gothic just as well as Elfman did with Batman. His career was mostly built on horror films he's scored -- like the first two Hellraiser films. And he can incorporate Zimmer's material extremely well.

"Come Think With Us."