ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Did I ever say I didn't find the humor in Thor 2 funny ? I laughed at all of it my friend. But if you had read my post you would know I was talking about the actual USE of it. The jokes in Thor are funny but HOW it is used is not subject to opinion because it's a fact that the humor is more subtle and reserved in the Dark Knight Trilogy. And that's more my style.
Well judging by your username, I'm not at all surprised by that comment actually.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
It doesn't change that with the kind of pseudo-analysis you're making it's just pubertal thinking.

Nice try, talking about something else than what I wrote.

You're free to bring up those things for discussion though. It would be more rewarding than your little attempts at trying to come off superior.
I talk about the excess characters, inconsistent tone and poor world-building in my review, and the misuse of humour and surplus of failed jokes was only one paragraph, I think. We're discussing the jokes more because it's a point I made that other people in the thread were already discussing extensively, so it was picked up on.

As for trying to come off as superior... you misunderstand completely. I don't consider myself superior because I myself found those jokes funny when I was in the target age group (males aged 6-20, approximately). It 's not superiority, it's about being in a different life stage, and therefore the jokes don't resonate with me as much since I'm 29. Being 29 is not superior to being 14, it's different.

I explicitly acknowledged that the fact this movie does appeal to a demographic group (pre-teen and teenage boys) does make it a good movie, in and of itself, because you can't appeal to everybody and appealing to just one core group is a success. However, since I'm not part of that demographic group, I don't like it.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
TTFN
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
this discussion is getting ridiculous
Standing O.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
J.Howlett

Thor The Dark World is "monster of the week" episode in continuing adventures of the MCU that finally reveals what the MCU has essentially become; very expensive, cinematic television for the big screen.

In essence, the plot of this film is meaningless. This film is all about getting to the final moment of the film; to ultimately set up a film that could be biblical, if Feige loosen up the reins.

This is Loki's story. It is not Thor's. Thor's basically doing his duty through out the film with no issues whatsoever, except for how it affects his beloved, Jane. This film is all about the continuing, interesting, and endearing relationship between the family at the heart of this universe. Everything else is window dressing. The heart is Thor and Loki and this film is pure set up to what could be the most emotional MCU film, when it does get made.

The chemistry and charm of the cast is what carries this film, just like the first. Hemsworth and Hiddleston and Hemsworth and Portman are fantastic together. Add in a little Rene Russo, who has chemistry with everyone, and it's just fun watching the Odison family interact.

The aesthetics of this film are the best of the MCU, by far. Mr. Taylor flat out nailed the look and feel of this film. Top marks all away around.

Sadly, he's let down by the script and the editing perimeters of Feige and the Marvel brass. One of the perimeters, which really hurt Iron Man Three, is the comedy. Frankly, it's funny. But, the problem is that the humor is completely misplaced in the 2nd half of the picture. I was kind of stunned with the momentum the film was having that they'd cross cut back to scenes where the humor was the most important element of the scene while the stakes got raised exponentially. The only reason why I'm not ripping the film apart on this aspect in comparison to Iron Man Three is the simple fact that the humor isn't smug or condescending. It's just forced in a number of spots where it had no reason to be there.

It's better than the first film just on the visual look of the film alone but like that first film, it sort of feels like a film Marvel had to get through in order to get to the tale that they really want to. I think that is Thor 3 but I can't begin to guess anymore.

I'll gladly watch it again because I love this cast in this world. I mostly love Taylor's direction. But, I wish they were all given more to do with more weight to the proceedings.

Marvel Studios kind of squandered the potential of this film...kind of.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

You're still coming off as superior. You're implying that it's kid humor instead of adult humor and people who laugh at kid humor would have that same maturity. Which is ridiculous. Have you never laughed at a kid movie? Shrek? Despicable Me? Lay off.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I talk about the excess characters, inconsistent tone and poor world-building in my review, and the misuse of humour and surplus of failed jokes was only one paragraph, I think. We're discussing the jokes more because it's a point I made that other people in the thread were already discussing extensively, so it was picked up on.

As for trying to come off as superior... you misunderstand completely. I don't consider myself superior because I myself found those jokes funny when I was in the target age group (males aged 6-20, approximately). It 's not superiority, it's about being in a different life stage, and therefore the jokes don't resonate with me as much since I'm 29. Being 29 is not superior to being 14, it's different.

I explicitly acknowledged that the fact this movie does appeal to a demographic group (pre-teen and teenage boys) does make it a good movie, in and of itself, because you can't appeal to everybody and appealing to just one core group is a success.
You basically said anyone who likes the humour in this movie is either a teenager or thinks like one. That's insulting mate. This movies are made for the general audience that includes people from all walks of life buddy. That comment you made is nonsensical and insulting to say the least.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Don't you read CosmicPinchy ? Or do you just not know the difference between a funny joke when the situation allows it and a funny joke in completely inappropriate moments ? They're both funny but the latter is misplaced and often becomes a detriment to the narrative.

I especially like how you attack me but not TeeKay for making a mockery of my claiming to like the Dark Knight trilogy use of humor more with his laughing Michael Jordan gif.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
You're still coming off as superior. You're implying that it's kid humor instead of adult humor and people who laugh at kid humor would have that same maturity. Which is ridiculous. Have you never laughed at a kid movie? Shrek? Despicable Me? Lay off.
I didn't see Despicable Me, but I've laughed at some of the animated movies. I laughed at Shrek and Ratatouille and Up. Some of the people who work at Dreamworks and Pixar are extremely talented, they manage to make "kids movies" that are actually very appealing to adults. If "Up" was purely a kids movie it would not have been nominated for best picture.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:

I explicitly acknowledged that the fact this movie does appeal to a demographic group (pre-teen and teenage boys) does make it a good movie, in and of itself, because you can't appeal to everybody and appealing to just one core group is a success. However, since I'm not part of that demographic group, I don't like it.
I don't remember complaining about any excess characters in MoS. What I complained about in inconsistency was mainly saying one thing, showing another, which primarily ties into the world building (Krypton). I didn't find the same in TDW.

Trying to come off as superior is the only reason I can see as it's otherwise just nonsense. I've seen all ages laugh at silly jokes, it's not tied to an age group. Saying that someone acts like a child has always been a way to diminish the other person as well.

As for catering to demographics I find it irrelevant to what's a good movie because I only care what's relevant to me, which would be my own opinion. I think trying to find objective ways to judge movies is pointless.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Don't you read CosmicPinchy ? Or do you just not know the difference between a funny joke when the situation allows it and a funny joke in completely inappropriate moments ? They're both funny but the latter is misplaced and often becomes a detriment to the narrative.

I especially like how you attack me but not TeeKay for making a mockery of my claiming to like the Dark Knight trilogy use of humor more with his laughing Michael Jordan gif.
Because you're in a Marvel area, on a Thor thread, judging the movie and insulting people. That's what I'm attacking you. You're being a douche.

It's your opinion about the humor, but you're coming across as if it's fact. It's not. The air of superiority around you is ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:

Can you think of a situation where a crazy scientist streaking near stonehenge for no reason would be funny?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

No reason? His mind was addled by Loki in the Avengers.

You guys are just trolls. DC fans trying to get a rise out of Marvel fans. Lame.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because you're in a Marvel area, on a Thor thread, judging the movie and insulting people. That's what I'm attacking you. You're being a douche.

It's your opinion about the humor, but you're coming across as if it's fact. It's not. The air of superiority around you is ridiculous.
I can't speak for ultra nolanite but some of us don't care about DC vs Marvel, I think it's overblown. I enjoyed the first hulk movie, the first iron man, the first thor, the first two spider man movies, first class, and blade II quite well. I also enjoyed the Nolan films, Watchmen, and some of the DCAU features.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

I laughed because that post was funny despite me acknowledging it was your opinion and other things I said in that post. What I found funny was that you said TDK trilogy is the only CBMs with better humour than any other CBM out there. But of course it'd your opinion but on the other hand your username says a lot. Sorry If my gif offended you. I'm truly sorry.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
As for catering to demographics I find it irrelevant to what's a good movie because I only care what's relevant to me, which would be my own opinion. I think trying to find objective ways to judge movies is pointless.
I disagree. If you can nail one demographic group, I think you've made a good film. It's hard (impossible?) to appeal to everybody.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:

You are hypocrisy made flesh. So you did not find it insulting when TeeKay laughed at my preference for the dark knights humor ? Did I call him out ? No

I simply declared my preference for a different use of humor and got mocked. Sp what if I'm in a Marvel thread ? Is this not the place where we can voice our likes and dislikes about the movie ?

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I disagree. If you can nail one demographic group, I think you've made a good film. It's hard (impossible?) to appeal to everybody.
You might have made a financially successful film but "good" is by definition subjective. There are no established rules for what constitutes a good film.

You can of course still think that makes it a good film. I hope my point gets across.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can you think of a situation where a crazy scientist streaking near stonehenge for no reason would be funny?
No not really, but I don't wanna get threadlynched by these guys for not absolutely loving every scene in this movie so I just laugh with a tear in my eye.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
TTFN
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Thor The Dark World is "monster of the week" episode in continuing adventures of the MCU that finally reveals what the MCU has essentially become; very expensive, cinematic television for the big screen.

In essence, the plot of this film is meaningless. This film is all about getting to the final moment of the film; to ultimately set up a film that could be biblical, if Feige loosen up the reins.

This is Loki's story. It is not Thor's. Thor's basically doing his duty through out the film with no issues whatsoever, except for how it affects his beloved, Jane. This film is all about the continuing, interesting, and endearing relationship between the family at the heart of this universe. Everything else is window dressing. The heart is Thor and Loki and this film is pure set up to what could be the most emotional MCU film, when it does get made.

The chemistry and charm of the cast is what carries this film, just like the first. Hemsworth and Hiddleston and Hemsworth and Portman are fantastic together. Add in a little Rene Russo, who has chemistry with everyone, and it's just fun watching the Odison family interact.

The aesthetics of this film are the best of the MCU, by far. Mr. Taylor flat out nailed the look and feel of this film. Top marks all away around.

Sadly, he's let down by the script and the editing perimeters of Feige and the Marvel brass. One of the perimeters, which really hurt Iron Man Three, is the comedy. Frankly, it's funny. But, the problem is that the humor is completely misplaced in the 2nd half of the picture. I was kind of stunned with the momentum the film was having that they'd cross cut back to scenes where the humor was the most important element of the scene while the stakes got raised exponentially. The only reason why I'm not ripping the film apart on this aspect in comparison to Iron Man Three is the simple fact that the humor isn't smug or condescending. It's just forced in a number of spots where it had no reason to be there.

It's better than the first film just on the visual look of the film alone but like that first film, it sort of feels like a film Marvel had to get through in order to get to the tale that they really want to. I think that is Thor 3 but I can't begin to guess anymore.

I'll gladly watch it again because I love this cast in this world. I mostly love Taylor's direction. But, I wish they were all given more to do with more weight to the proceedings.

Marvel Studios kind of squandered the potential of this film...kind of.

Just my opinion, of course.
YES!! Except I don't think this is Loki's story. I think it's more of an ensemble if that makes sense.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are hypocrisy made flesh. So you did not find it insulting when TeeKay laughed at my preference for the dark knights humor ? Did I call him out ? No

I simply declared my preference for a different use of humor and got mocked. Sp what if I'm in a Marvel thread ? Is this not the place where we can voice our likes and dislikes about the movie ?

I said I was sorry, jesus. besides if you read what i wrote on that post I basically said I like the humour in TDK trilogy it didn't make me laugh as much as I do when I watch MCU films. That is all. So I don't know why you had to say this.....

Quote:
Thats fine, it's because you have no inkling of subtlety and can probably only find humor when its shoved down your throat like in Thor 2.
Even though I admitted to linking the humour in TDK trilogy.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
You might have made a financially successful film but "good" is by definition subjective. There are no established rules for what constitutes a good film.
OK.

Anyway, since you don't want to talk about the humour in the film, I'll bring up something else from my review.

1) I knew that Loki's betrayal of Thor was an act on the spot, and I don't normally catch plot twists that well. Is that not bad?
2) How does crazy scientist streaking naked outside stonehenge advance the plot? Let's leave aside the question of whether or not it's funny.
3) At the end of the movie, we learn that Thor's father Odin is missing, and I have no idea what happened. It's effectively an after-the-credits scene done before the credits, for a total of three after-the-credits scene... can Marvel please take a break and focus on telling one story at a time? There was a huge focus on mythology building in this movie, to benefit other movies, but what about benefiting this movie? Why not have more dialogue among the dark elves?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
No not really, but I don't wanna get threadlynched by these guys for not absolutely loving every scene in this movie so I just laugh with a tear in my eye.

Give me a break. You're fixated on the humor aspect and your arguments against it fall short. You're not even bringing up other aspects of the film so you have no idea how we would react to other criticisms. Feel free to talk about something else for once.

Closed Thread