View Poll Results: Which film is better
Thor (2011) 86 38.57%
Thor: The Dark World (2013) 116 52.02%
Tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #51
balanda
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
But in my opinion, people should judge on which film is better based on the story.
That's nice. That's your particular subjective bias. There are many different objective ways to enjoy a movie, as any director would tell you, and story is only one of them. I hope you're not one of those tiresome people who ascribe negative qualities to those who have other ways to enjoy movies too, but it's certainly true some do like to look down on those who enjoy the less "cerebral" *coughsuperheromovie* aspects.

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #52
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I watched the first Thor last night. I liked it wayyyyy more, despite the underwhelming set pieces.

It's actually has a decent heroic story.

And it actually irks how The Avengers just negates Thor's ending because 1. Loki was fine, 2. Getting back to Earth was no big deal.

TDW also undermines the ending of Thor because apparently they can just rebuild the bifrost in no time at all and he still didn't come back to see Jane.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 11-03-2013 at 01:50 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #53
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post
That's nice. That's your particular subjective bias. There are many different objective ways to enjoy a movie, as any director would tell you, and story is only one of them. I hope you're not one of those tiresome people who ascribe negative qualities to those who have other ways to enjoy movies too, but it's certainly true some do like to look down on those who enjoy the less "cerebral" *coughsuperheromovie* aspects.
I don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
Hmm, so anyone who votes Thor 2 is apparently not judging the movie based on psylockolussus' criteria and is therefore wrong. Must be nice living in a fantasy world where people actually give a $@&! about your opinion. Luckily, we live in the real world where no one cares.
And yet you have a big reaction about something that I just said. Thats funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Tell me about it!

I think psycolossus is passive aggressively trolling, I was trying to get this point across all last night.
There's no trolling in my post. It just you can't take negative things being said about the movie.

But I'm pretty sure if my comment was positive, you would have seen it in the other way.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 11-02-2013 at 11:51 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #54
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

I have to vote The Dark World. It was not only bigger in scope, but it also had more on screen chemistry with the cast, more than the first Thor. While some of the family aspects were not as represented in this film over the previous film, it made up for with the much better effects and action sequences. Loki is in both films, so it wouldn't suit me to say that Loki is better than Malekith, when I prefer Loki in TDW over how he was in the first Thor, although I still really liked his performance in the first. I preferred Malekith over Laufey, as he seemed to be a greater threat.

TDW will definitely be a movie I see multiple times in theaters.

GriffinSTatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #55
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I watched the first Thor last night. I liked it wayyyyy more, despite the underwhelming set pieces.

I've been watching it on Amazon Prime and Netfix. Gonna watch it before I go see the movie next Friday.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #56
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:

And it actually irks how The Avengers just negates Thor's ending because 1. Loki was fine, 2. Getting back to Earth was no big deal.

TDW also undermines the ending of Thor because apparently they can just rebuild the bifrost in no time at all and he still didn't come back to see Jane.
Bifrost probably just needed the tessaract for the power interface, rebuilding the machine is probably simple enough.
And he didn't see Jane because he has basically been forbidden to by Odin.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #57
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
In no time at all? If that was the case it should have been done by the time of The Avengers. They get it going with the Tesseract though, as it's one of the most powerful artifacts there is, but then there's a ton of work to do and Thor isn't exactly allowed to go on vacation, especially not to her. He only goes to her when something strange happened because then he can't stop himself despite his father's wishes.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Loki was very far from fine - I got an oh sh*********t in the post-credits scene of Thor seeing Loki shadowing Erik. (If I hadn't seen that straight after, and was convinced Loki was dead for a year before seeing the Avengers, maybe I would have had a different reaction.) This is someone who was utterly utterly lost and now dedicated to pure revenge and evil, resonating in a way that someone who hadn't had that kind of almost-sympathetic origin story wouldn't have had.

"Dark energies" sounded pretty ominous to me when I was watching The Avengers. But I get that some found it a fake-out.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #59
tek
Side-Kick

probably more connected to the first especially with the odin/thor/loki scenes. that being said there were some heart wrenching scenes in this one. could make valid reasons for both.

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #60
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
In no time at all? If that was the case it should have been done by the time of The Avengers. They get it going with the Tesseract though, as it's one of the most powerful artifacts there is, but then there's a ton of work to do and Thor isn't exactly allowed to go on vacation, especially not to her. He only goes to her when something strange happened because then he can't stop himself despite his father's wishes.
Didn't Feige reveal that the Dark World takes place 2 years after the Avengers? If that's the case, there you go. It took them that long to get it back up, all the while, Thor and the Warrior's Three pretty much were trying to get the Nine Realms back in order...in which case, it's been 3 years since Thor and Jane saw each other last.

Is my math correct?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #61
J.Howlett

As for better, easily the Dark World just on the aesthetics alone. Pure and simple.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #62
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Thor didn't go see Jane because he was busy fighting wars, he even says as much to her herself.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #63
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Didn't Feige reveal that the Dark World takes place 2 years after the Avengers? If that's the case, there you go. It took them that long to get it back up, all the while, Thor and the Warrior's Three pretty much were trying to get the Nine Realms back in order...in which case, it's been 3 years since Thor and Jane saw each other last.

Is my math correct?
I don't remember what time frame they say in the movie but Wikipedia says two years of fighting to bring order to the Nine Realms so you should be correct.

I'm seeing it again in four hours so I'll see if the movie brings that up.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I'm pretty sure the movie states that its two years since the Avengers,cant remember which character said it but i'm pretty certain its said in the movie.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #65
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^I'm pretty sure the movie states that its two years since the Avengers,cant remember which character said it but i'm pretty certain its said in the movie.
It should be stated by Jane when Thor comes back.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #66
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

In an article that was talking about the things we know about Thor: The Dark World, it said the movie takes place a year and a half after the first Thor.

2 years after Avengers doesn't make sense to me. We see Loki's trial in this movie, they wouldn't wait 2 years to do it.

Edit: Here's the link to the article: http://m.collider.com/collider/#!/en...27f5d9d02b0ab0

Last edited by CosmicPinchy; 11-03-2013 at 04:20 PM.
CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #67
Casius--J
Web Master

Thor 2 by far for me. I enjoyed the first one but I agreed with the complaints that there wasn't enough asgard and a lot of characters didn't get much development. I thought TDW had a better balance between earth characters and the asgardian ones. Better action scenes too although I would agree Thor had a better story.

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #68
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
In an article that was talking about the things we know about Thor: The Dark World, it said the movie takes place a year and a half after the first Thor.

2 years after Avengers doesn't make sense to me. We see Loki's trial in this movie, they wouldn't wait 2 years to do it.

Edit: Here's the link to the article: http://m.collider.com/collider/#!/en...27f5d9d02b0ab0
Loki's trial is a flashback scene.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #69
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I saw the movie again and the time frame is mentioned at the end, by Darcy. She says it was 2 years between Thor and TDW, basically indicating that the movies are separated by roughly the same time frame as they are released.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #70
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Loki's trial is a flashback scene.
Ah, makes sense, thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #71
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I like Thor: The Dark World a tad bit more than the first one. They have similar highs, but T:TDW is more solid as a whole.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #72
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Still between both movies the best 5 seconds is when Thor regains Mjolnir in the first movie and stands in the classic Thor pose with hammer above head, great music in that scene too.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #73
balanda
Side-Kick

I liked the character arc for Thor in the first one more, because it was his origin story and it was fun seeing him be a brat. I think we also got more meaty story and emotional depth. However, I am perpetually annoyed at the blockbuster format seemingly mandating that Thor's "learning humility on Midgard" arc be only 3 days, because it made his turnaround seem less realistic, and his romance-across-the-stars with Jane seem like a fleeting crush. I also found while a decent attempt had been made at Loki's character arc, there were parts of it that just seemed a bit inexplicable to me. (The plot felt chopped about.) Also I thought Asgard and the costumes looked less golden fantasy than tacky. Both good movies, I think I prefer the latter one however.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #74
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

I voted "Tie"...
I just can't decide!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #75
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

The Honest Trailer for Thor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTG4P44164