The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #101
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Lets see, the creepy narration from both Malekith and Odin, all the freaky imagery, the epic yet ominous music, etc. Yeah, this movie wasn't that. I have no problem with comedy, they struck a great balance in their Phase One movies. In Phase Two, they're starting to overuse the comedy and it's intruding on the narrative and killing tension in scenes that should be serious.
There was comedy in the commercials to let you know there was comedy in the movie. You also saw Avengers and IM3 ..... you knew there'd be comedy. Stop pretending for the sake of doing so.

Also find another brand of CBM to watch. This will save you from wasting minutes of your life whining about something you're not going to change.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #102
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Delete

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #103
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Just like the original movie, when Thor is on Earth the movie (for me) grinds to an absolute halt. Can we not finally bin off Earth and set Thor completely in the other nine realms? If Jane is Thor's only connection to Earth then I hope the movie gets rid of her in Thor 3. The movie shines when it isn't on Earth.
I wonder if Marvel Studios would do a Thor movie not featuring Earth, Jane Foster and her friends. And I find it hard to imagine that they would do a third movie without Jane Frost.

For me when it comes to these Thor movies, the other eight realms are the things that interest me the most and when I was watching Thor 2, my interested started to wind down when they showed scenes in Earth.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #104
TTFN
Side-Kick

What didn't I like? Hmmmm...

Honestly my biggest problem was editing. I felt the movie was disjointed and jarring. It could have done better with the pacing. I do think it could have been longer but even if that wasn't possible, edit it correctly ffs.

Loki being 1 dimensional. Yeah, I didn't wear my Loki colored glasses so I saw what I saw. He was a brat and I needed more depth.

That's pretty much it. I really did like more than I didn't.

TTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #105
Godzilla2000
Force Of Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I wouldn't say the jokes themselves are flat, they're actually funny. The problem for me is that there is so much of it that it overshadows pretty much everything else.

I completely agree with your post though, especially the bolded part. There is no sense of things being at stake even though the villain wants to basically turn the whole universe dark. It's a huge danger, yet you never really feel that danger because everything is so "Disney-fied".

Regarding your worry about the hero not being there enough, I'd definitely say Thor has good screen time, no problem there.

It's still an enjoyable movie though, but that's pretty much it. I'll buy it whenever it comes out on Blu-Ray, and hopefully my mind will change. This film had so much potential.
I was thinking about this but is it accurate to say while the jokes might be funny they take you out of the mood of the movie? Is this what you're saying?

Be careful what you wish for.

I like it:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

It's No Use In 2D:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #106
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

My only real complaint is a bit too much Earth, I just don't think some of the scenes with Selvig/Darcy/Her interim was really necessary...

Also they probably should have kept in the Malekith/Bor flashback. At least I knew about his backstory ahead of time.

GriffinSTatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #107
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
There was comedy in the commercials to let you know there was comedy in the movie. You also saw Avengers and IM3 ..... you knew there'd be comedy. Stop pretending for the sake of doing so.

Also find another brand of CBM to watch. This will save you from wasting minutes of your life whining about something you're not going to change.
Why are you so hostile? Dude makes a minor critique and you attack him. He's just saying that Marvel oversold the drama in Films like IM3. It's kinda true.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-03-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #108
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Why are you so hostile? Dude makes a minor critique and you attack him. He's just saying that Marvel oversold the drama in Films like IM3. It's kinda true.
No, he's here to soap box about Marvel not making the kinds of movies he wants to see.

If you thought that was hostile, you have the thinnest skin in the world.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #109
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I honestly don't think it is constructive to tell others to go and watch other movies if they aren't happy. I have done it myself in the past, and I regret it. It is a non-starter imo, made more to dismiss another's point of view then anything else.

By the way, less then 5 days now.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #110
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I honestly don't think it is constructive to tell others to go and watch other movies if they aren't happy. I have done it myself in the past, and I regret it. It is a non-starter imo, made more to dismiss another's point of view then anything else.

By the way, less then 5 days now.
Why? For the ones that routinely don't like the Marvel product, why do the insist on watching them? Is it so that they can come here and let everybody know every day for weeks on end after a new movie release?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #111
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm sure no one expected Marvel to deviate from their brand. After the Phase 1 Movies, everyone had a good idea what the tone of their Movies was like. But with Phase 2, they clearly shifted towards even more humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Lets see, the creepy narration from both Malekith and Odin, all the freaky imagery, the epic yet ominous music, etc. Yeah, this movie wasn't that. I have no problem with comedy, they struck a great balance in their Phase One movies. In Phase Two, they're starting to overuse the comedy and it's intruding on the narrative and killing tension in scenes that should be serious.
Exactly! Some comedy was obviously expected. But there HAS been a change in Phase II, there is a bigger amount of jokes and comic relief in them now. At the same time, the trailers were very obviously intended to market a movie that would be bigger and more intense with lots of drama. To just say "What the hell did you expect!?" is just dumb IMO.

Also, since there obviously has been a change in Phase II, we who liked the Phase I films have every right to criticise Marvel Studios for going this direction. I am a Marvel fan, that doesn't mean I have to love everything they do. That's also why I am so disappointed, I think Marvel films could have great emotional weight, drama etc. while having a good amount of comedy. Not just being dumbed down to "funny" films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I was thinking about this but is it accurate to say while the jokes might be funny they take you out of the mood of the movie? Is this what you're saying?
As you know, there are varied opinions about this, but for me it's a definite yes to this question.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #112
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I wonder if Marvel Studios would do a Thor movie not featuring Earth, Jane Foster and her friends. And I find it hard to imagine that they would do a third movie without Jane Frost.

For me when it comes to these Thor movies, the other eight realms are the things that interest me the most and when I was watching Thor 2, my interested started to wind down when they showed scenes in Earth.
Imagine if for Thor 3 Thor goes to Hel (to fetch Odin for example). Baldur gets introduced, the Einherjer are introduced along with Hela. What possible reason would there be for Jane Foster and her Amazing Friends?

Gotta have a connection to Earth, Gotta have laughs. If I'm honest the things that made me laugh happened off Earth. Take off the training wheels (Earth) and let Thor fly.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #113
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Why? For the ones that routinely don't like the Marvel product, why do the insist on watching them? Is it so that they can come here and let everybody know every day for weeks on end after a new movie release?
Is that what is really going on here though? I can see a little Fox and DC bias (Spidey fans drive each other nuts in their own forum most of the time ), but I don't think there are many who outright dislike Marvel Studios. More discussing how they think it could be improved. I honestly don't think many actually spend money to go see a film in the theater just so they can complain.

Now I can understand if you think it is getting repetitive, though the best way to solve that imo is to ignore it. Less to talk about if there is no argument really. People are seeing TDW, many seem to like it, the critics like it so far, and the OS numbers look great and we will be seeing it in less then a week. No real problem imo.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #114
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perfectly said!

Right now I'm extremely happy X-Men and Spider-Man aren't at Marvel Studios/Disney.
Thats actually a great point. I think the Amazing spiderman is a great showcase of humor balanced with gravitas. Some parts in that movie, the way Garfield plays Peter Parker, my eyes just tear up. But it's still proper funny.

Right now I believe the Spidey franchise is where it needs to be.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #115
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Thats actually a great point. I think the Amazing spiderman is a great showcase of humor balanced with gravitas. Some parts in that movie, the way Garfield plays Peter Parker, my eyes just tear up. But it's still proper funny.

Right now I believe the Spidey franchise is where it needs to be.
Yeah, I agree! I just hope they can keep the gravitas in TASM2, but from what I've seen and heard that definitely seems to be the case, and Marc Webb is great at that. They are stepping up the humour in that one, but Spider-Man has always been known for his wise-cracks, so as long as it doesn't take away from the overall drama of the film and have Gwen goofing around, it should be fine. And it definitely seems the film will have both humour and dark moments as well as heart and emotions. Electro looks like an awesome villain that you can truly feel for and fear at the same time. It remains to be seen though. I hope we get a trailer soon.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #116
balanda
Side-Kick

I loved this film and just posted in the positivity thread but here's what I didn't like so much:
  • The film had less heart than the first Thor film, mostly because it didn't have time to linger, even on Frigga's death. Thor vs Loki was probably the most heart.
  • Malekith's story felt like it had been chopped - I think there was some wasted potential to focus on him in any nuanced way - instead he was just raah raah evil revenge evil revenge. That's not actually all that compelling - give us some more motive or moustache twirling! Not sure speaking in a Dark Elf tongue helped. Shame, as I love the actor, but it's not his fault.
  • Related to above, the movie rushed from one scene to the next, gotta admire its ambition, and it was cut for time very skilfully, but didn't feel as meaty.
  • Not much of a character arc for Thor, but that's kind of inevitable after the origin movie. Not sure the movie suffered all that much for it; it's a superhero movie, there's so much else going on.
  • I was pretty disappointed that Loki's betrayal was a fake-out.
  • I wasn't a huge fan of the guns vs swords awkward blending of technologies (seriously, why go for swords Asgard, even glowy ones, when guns are clearly superior), but it wasn't a big deal and I can handwave it as Rule Of Cool.
  • ...umm......

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #117
OriginalMiles
**** you, Starbucks.

I don't like how we were told Tyr was in this movie... I didn't see or hear him.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #118
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelDCguy View Post
I don't like how we were told Tyr was in this movie... I didn't see or hear him.
Hey yeah, forgot all about him! Damn! I'm guessing he wouldn't have been a son of Odin anyway, just a powerful warrior.

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #119
Bert
Side-Kick

I don't see the problem with making these movies funny. Especially when Comedy as a genre is in such a slump currently, I gotta laugh when I'm at the movies...

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #120
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Maybe it's over the top, but I feel the same. After watching Iron Man 3, and reading that Thor 2 is basically the same, my interest for the rest of the Phase 2 Movies is waning fast. No one is asking for a Nolan treatment, just that the Movies get the balance right, just like the Phase 1 Movies did. Or like all the other Movies made by FOX and Sony at the moment. Wolverine seems to be the only Movie that got the balance right this year. It was character focused, but not void of humor. And the humor never went so far, that the Movie lost any dramatic weight.
i can remember a few scenes of good comedy and that was it, with Thor 2 i can recall a few scenes of good, a few scenes of manufactured and a few scenes of downright goofy.

Quote:
Perfectly said!

Right now I'm extremely happy X-Men and Spider-Man aren't at Marvel Studios/Disney.

Quote:
Yes, they've always had humour but the amount of it has increased since The Avengers and now seems to be the main focus. The only Phase I movie I see being similar in that regard is Iron Man 2, which is Marvel Studios' weakest film IMO. The other films had much more emotional weight to them than these Phase II films I think. So there's definitely been a noticeable change since The Avengers I'd say.
Agreed, since Avengers the humour has been doubled.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #121
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Um... I just watched the movie yesterday... Everyone is exaggerating on the humor. The humor, it was present, but it wasn't like there was a joke every 30 seconds. There were many serious moments, and I think that they balanced it quite well. Since this is the what didn't I like thread, I will say that the only time I felt that the humor was out of place was during the final battle, an example when
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Malekith and Thor coming back from a different realm(Forget which one) and they were just sliding against a building(I forget what it is called)
, and after a certain characters death. Other than that the humor did not harm it at all IMO.

I don't know what the rest of you were expecting, but due to everyone's banter I was expecting the entire movie to have constant laughing moments when in reality I would say it took itself more seriously than it made jokes or funny moments.

GriffinSTatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #122
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I love the humor. And i love how self aware the movies are.

And i will say this, if you want these Marvel movies to feel more like TDKR and Watchmen, you might wanna jump ship like right now. The next slate of movies are being directed by the Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright. They are going to be hilarious. So you either have to learn to kick back, relax and laugh a lot or you're better off saving your money.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #123
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post

And i will say this, if you want these Marvel movies to feel more like TDKR and Watchmen, you might wanna jump ship like right now. The next slate of movies are being directed by the Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright. They are going to be hilarious. So you either have to learn to kick back, relax and laugh a lot or you're better off saving your money.
No one is asking for that god dammit!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #124
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
No one is asking for that god dammit!
I wouldn't bother. any critisism to the humour has people jumping to the opposite end of the scale and thinking we want a miserably dark movie

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #125
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post

And no one wants that. Every time someone mentions they want less humor, and be like the Phase 1 Movies again, everyone assumes that means they want no humor at all. Even though it makes no bloody sense, since people specifically mention the Phase 1 Movies which did have humor.

It's like the Batsuit argument. People don't want the armor look, and everyone automatically assumes they want spandex and use cheap cosplay images to discredit their opinions.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote