The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #101
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Default Re: What did you LIKE and ENJOY about Iron Man 3 [SPOILERS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
I love the part with Gary in the van. That was very funny.
And how blunt tony was with the kid. Especially "we're connected" line. Lol
And the air plane rescue was one of the best sequences I've seen in a movie ever. That was fantastic. Very heroic

Actually I think it's my second favorite marvel film
The Air Force Once rescue wasn't that heroic. Sure, he did a great thing, but he was never in any real danger. If he had failed, he would've still been safely on the speed boat. The idea of the scene was great, but him not actually being in the suit takes away from it a LOT in my opinion.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #102
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
The Air Force Once rescue wasn't that heroic. Sure, he did a great thing, but he was never in any real danger. If he had failed, he would've still been safely on the speed boat. The idea of the scene was great, but him not actually being in the suit takes away from it a LOT in my opinion.
So what? Sure, he couldn't have died. . . but he definitely could have *failed*. That's heroic enough for me.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #103
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
So what? Sure, he couldn't have died. . . but he definitely could have *failed*. That's heroic enough for me.
When you want to save people and send a machine for you... that can still be exciting but not heroic precisely.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #104
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Being heroic requires some level of risk. Being helpful doesn't. He was helpful, but he didn't do anything "heroic" per se.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #105
Juicy J
Side-Kick

He saved thirteen people from falling to their deaths... what's not heroic about that.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #106
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
He saved thirteen people from falling to their deaths... what's not heroic about that.
When US soldiers overseas save people in the Middle East, do you call the General that gave them the order heroic? You call the soldiers themselves heroic, because they were the ones risking their lives. We commend them everyday (rightfully so) for putting their lives on the line for our great country.

When Tony sent that missile through the wormhole, he was heroic. Same for when Cap crashed into the ocean to sink the Tesseract, or when Banner fell out of the sky to stop Abomination, or when Thor was willing to sacrifice himself to save Jane and the people of Earth from the Destroyer.

Sending what is essentially a drone in to save lives is all well and good, but I wouldn't classify it as heroic. He has nothing on the line.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #107
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight08 View Post
The whole damn thing. Even the Mandarin thing. Trust me, I'd much rather have MCU Mandarin be remembered as a buff, tattooed scientist who can physically go toe to toe with Iron Man than as what we were gonna get. If Killian was wearing a green robe and 10 rings, then no one would be complaining about that twist, trust me. I liked what we got, I just didn't like how he was killed, but whatevs.

Every action sequence, especially from when Tony builds himself some non-lethal weapons to sneak into Mandarin's mansion til he finally get the Mark 42 back. Seeing Tony Stark use his smarts and kick that much ass without a suit was incredibly awesome.
THANK! YOU! SO! MUCH!

I've been saying this the whole freakin' flippin' time!!!! Nobody, and I mean nobody can honestly say they really gave a POOP about the Mandarin as a comic book character. If you gathered 500 Marvel fanpeople in a room and had them make a top 10 Marvel villain list I doubt the Mandarin would crack 100 peoples list. Sure, he's the most well known Iron Man villain, but that doesn't make him any good. He's ok. He's passable but I've never thought he was all that interesting. Iron Mans villains as a whole are some of the most boring of any mainstream hero in comics if you ask me.

I know not all comic fans hate the twist. I have one OBSESSIVE comic book geek friend who absolutely thought the twist was genius and can't stand how everyone is freaking out over it. I don't like to generalize, but I think a lot of people who hate the twist simply because it's a twist and that they changed the character. Not because they feel strongly towards said character, just that they changed him.

What really irks me though is one friend I have. He's a fan of superheroes, but he'd only read comics when he was a little kid. I don't think he's picked one up in 20 years. (he's a older than me by quite a few years by the way. Met him at work. I'm 24 he's 30). When he's Syked for a new superhero movie he'll talk to me about it and I'll mention semi recent to recent runs of comics and he won't know a damn thing I'm talking about. I don't hold it against him mind you, not at all but he acted SO betrayed by the twist you would think he was the biggest Mandarin fanboy on the planet. "MAN! I WAS WAITING TO SEE IRON MANS BIGGEST FOE ON THE BIG SCREEN AND THEY CHEATED ME!!!!"

He didn't know thing one about the Mandarin other than that he is the main foe of the hero. He was pissed for the simple fact of being pissed. I even called him out on it when he posted his resentment on facebook. I wasn't a dick but explained that the Mandarin has changed looks, origins and motivations numerous times over the years. More so than most villains or heroes in general. I explained to him how Killian was meant to be the Mandarin and yadda yadda yadda and he was just so obstinate about it. "No, he wasn't the Mandarin cuz he WASN'T the Mandarin!" was pretty much the gist of his argument. I love the guy, but he's a tad silly sometimes.

I bet my freakin' paycheck if Killian was wearing the rob and rings when he said "I am the Mandarin!" the hate for the twist would be reduced by half...maybe even less. That's not the say that some people can't like the twist on a wholly cinematic level. That's completely understandable if it just simply took you out of the story and didn't work within the film for you. The *****storm this has caused on the web is just sad imo.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #108
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
When US soldiers overseas save people in the Middle East, do you call the General that gave them the order heroic? You call the soldiers themselves heroic, because they were the ones risking their lives. We commend them everyday (rightfully so) for putting their lives on the line for our great country.

When Tony sent that missile through the wormhole, he was heroic. Same for when Cap crashed into the ocean to sink the Tesseract, or when Banner fell out of the sky to stop Abomination, or when Thor was willing to sacrifice himself to save Jane and the people of Earth from the Destroyer.

Sending what is essentially a drone in to save lives is all well and good, but I wouldn't classify it as heroic. He has nothing on the line.
No, not at all. Except for the lives that would have been lost had he not had the suite there. Nothing on the line? Hardly.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #109
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
No, not at all. Except for the lives that would have been lost had he not had the suite there. Nothing on the line? Hardly.

He still didn't put himself a risk which ruined it for me combined with the truck and suit of glass moment. I swear I hate that movie more each time I talk about it. It the only marvel movie so far I have no desire to EVER see again.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #110
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
He still didn't put himself a risk which ruined it for me combined with the truck and suit of glass moment. I swear I hate that movie more each time I talk about it. It the only marvel movie so far I have no desire to EVER see again.

hel-LO. he put himself at risk several times in the movie. remember the attack on his house? what was his first action? he sent the suit to protect Pepper. and it was just armorless Tony for most of the action prior to being captured by Killian.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #111
OcStat
Side-Kick

The Air-Force one scene is one of the best Super Hero sequences put to film.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote