The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #951
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
But is that 5000 natural years? Don't they also eat from the tree that gives them extended life beyond their natural entitlement?
Good point. Hope Idune's apples are shown on the big screen soon.
Sounds smutty when you say it like that

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #952
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

While Tom Hiddleston gets most of the praise (which is well deserved btw), I think Chris Hemsworth has done a great job in playing Thor for 3 years straight. He perfectly captures the character's nobility, arrogance, humility and humor. I sometimes think he doesn't get his just dues for portraying what is probably the most difficult role in the MCU. Here's to more years with Chris as The God of Thunder!

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #953
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacethegrey View Post
While Tom Hiddleston gets most of the praise (which is well deserved btw), I think Chris Hemsworth has done a great job in playing Thor for 3 years straight. He perfectly captures the character's nobility, arrogance, humility and humor. I sometimes think he doesn't get his just dues for portraying what is probably the most difficult role in the MCU. Here's to more years with Chris as The God of Thunder!
I agree. Thor is hard to get right because he could easily become flat or cheesy in the wrong hands. You need to land in a small window where the balance is done correctly. I'm not saying that it's easy to do Loki, because it's not, but it's a bit more thankful role with the mischievous streak.

My favorite duo in CMB's. Probably followed by Magneto and Xavier.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #954
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

That's still a Fave pic lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #955
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:

'Yea verily'

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #956
tek
Side-Kick

i think it is a good sign that hemsworth is taken for granted. The actor playing Malkeith said in the press conference that he was very taken with Chris's performance in Thor and that the fact that he could walk this fine line was the reason the movie succeeded. It all depended on him and he delivered. Dont think you can get higher praise than that

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #957
balanda
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I agree. Thor is hard to get right because he could easily become flat or cheesy in the wrong hands. You need to land in a small window where the balance is done correctly. I'm not saying that it's easy to do Loki, because it's not, but it's a bit more thankful role with the mischievous streak.
Hear, hear!

balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #958
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed on that. I get a bit disappointed he doesn't get more praise for his acting and the emotional nuances he brings to the role while Hiddleston gets all the attention from the Hiddlefans and critics.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #959
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Well Hemsworth is getting an extreme amount of praise for this film, far more so than the first Thor and certainly more than TA. Almost every critic and fan agrees that this is his best turn as Thor yet and rank him RDJ and Hugh Jackman by not being able to picture anyone else as his respective hero.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #960
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Hemsworth is Thor, and a damn good actor.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #961
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Hemsworth is Thor, and a damn good actor.
Exactly his performance in Rush should quell al nay sayers who doubted his acting abilities outside of the Thor character.

He brought Thor to life like no one else could've and without a doubt should be mentioned with the likes of RDJ, Hugh, and even Reeves.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #962
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

As much as I like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, I don't feel like they really play the characters. They play themselves, with notable traits of the characters. I feel like it is done to make the characters more attractive to the general audience. RDJ's Tony is just too damn likeable.

Evans, Hiddleston, Hemsworth, McKellen, Ruffalo, Bale, Cavil, Garfield, McAvoy, Reeves, and Keaton are the actors who for me have most brought their comic book counterparts to life.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #963
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
As much as I like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, I don't feel like they really play the characters. They play themselves, with notable traits of the characters. I feel like it is done to make the characters more attractive to the general audience. RDJ's Tony is just too damn likeable.
Hugh Jackman plays himself as Wolverine? That's got to be the strangest thing anyone's ever said about his performance. Wolverine is an anti social, rude, angry and rebellious wildman. Hugh Jackman on the other hand, is a friendly, charming, and all around nice dude. How is he playing himself as Logan?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #964
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hugh Jackman plays himself as Wolverine? That's got to be the strangest thing anyone's ever said about his performance. Wolverine is an anti social, rude, angry and rebellious wildman. Hugh Jackman on the other hand, is a friendly, charming, and all around nice dude. How is he playing himself as Logan?
The Wolverine of the films has his standout "anti-social" and rude moments, the best being in First Class. But a wildman isn't that well groomed.

He spends a lot of his time being charming and friendly. He is more handsome romantic lead, a charming rogue then an angry, dangerous animal. He is pretty much the haunted soul that many a woman want to "help". Look how they write his relationship with Jean and Rogue. The closest we got to a real Logan relationship was Mariko in The Wolverine, but even that went more conventional.

It isn't really his fault, just like I don't feel like it is RDJ's fault. That is how the characters are written. Both version work very well on the big screen and have become fan favorites, and I am included in those fans.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #965
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Nah man, I don't see it. I'll agree that Downey incorporates too much of his trademark mannerisms in his portrayal of Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. But Hugh as Logan? I think the guy is pretty versatile in that he can play a angry mutant (Wolverine), a time displaced English duke (Kate and Leopold), and a amoral magician (The Prestige), all differently and with conviction.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #966
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
It isn't really his fault, just like I don't feel like it is RDJ's fault. That is how the characters are written. Both version work very well on the big screen and have become fan favorites, and I am included in those fans.
For Tony Stark it's also a bit in how RDJ is directed as he's been allowed to ad lib a good few things.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #967
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nah man, I don't see it. I'll agree that Downey incorporates too much of his trademark mannerisms in his portrayal of Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. But Hugh as Logan? I think the guy is pretty versatile in that he can play a angry mutant (Wolverine), an time displaced English duke (Kate and Leopold), and a amoral magician (The Prestige), all differently and with conviction.
You mention Downey's mannerism because they are obvious, but he clearly plays Stark and Sherlock differently. The thing I am talking about is the characters general demeanor and actions. Tony is an *******. RDJ's version isn't.

With Jackman, how is he more angry mutant then romantic lead? It is only when he is chopping people like in the mansion in X2 or the "duel" in The Wolverine where I really feel like, yeah, that is Logan.

On the flipside, Hemsworth Thor feels ripped from the comics, and at atleast two different points in his life. Pre and post Earth Thor are perfect representations of the character and I think Hemsworth nails that.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #968
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
For Tony Stark it's also a bit in how RDJ is directed as he's been allowed to ad lib a good few things.
Yeah, and it isn't like they are telling him to stop. They know what the audience likes. That is why I think his transition will be the hardest. There is a lot of Robert in the character at this point.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #969
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
You mention Downey's mannerism because they are obvious, but he clearly plays Stark and Sherlock differently. The thing I am talking about is the characters general demeanor and actions. Tony is an *******. RDJ's version isn't.

With Jackman, how is he more angry mutant then romantic lead? It is only when he is chopping people like in the mansion in X2 or the "duel" in The Wolverine where I really feel like, yeah, that is Logan.

On the flipside, Hemsworth Thor feels ripped from the comics, and at atleast two different points in his life. Pre and post Earth Thor are perfect representations of the character and I think Hemsworth nails that.
Ah. So what you're getting at is how close their performance is to their comic counterparts? I can understand that. For me though, I like to keep the comic and movie interpretations of a certain character separate. Both are equally viable, and both have their pros and cons.

But strictly speaking, I much prefer the cinema versions over the comic ones in this case. RDJ's sarcastic and devil may care take on Tony Stark is miles better over the overtly serious and angsty one in the comics for me. Same thing with Hugh as Logan. His humanistic portrayal of Wolvie has me feeling and sympathizing for the character in ways that the comic version never did.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor though, I'd have to give slight edge to Chris in this case. I like the comic version well enough, but the movie Thor is a much more real and fully formed character for me.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #970
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ah. So what you're getting at is how close their performance is to their comic counterparts? I can understand that. For me though, I like to keep the comic and movie interpretations of a certain character separate. Both are equally viable, and both have their pros and cons.

But strictly speaking, I much prefer the cinema versions over the comic ones in this case. RDJ's sarcastic and devil may care take on Tony Stark is miles better over the overtly serious and angsty one in the comics for me. Same thing with Hugh as Logan. His humanistic portrayal of Wolvie has me feeling and sympathizing for the character in ways that the comic version never did.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor though, I'd have to give slight edge to Chris in this case. I like the comic version well enough, but the movie Thor is a much more real and fully formed character for me.
Yeah, I am not talking about my favorites here, I am talking more about how much they are like their comic counterparts. I adore Jackman and RDJ in their roles. When it comes to RDJ, I completely agree about preferring him to his comic counterpart. I dislike Tony from the comics.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #971
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Stark in the comics is starting to be portrayed a bit more like RDJ..especially in GOTG

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #972
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Anyone catch Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel last night? Even though he's down a lot of weight and only having one good hand (dislocated finger due to a Brazilian jiu jitsu accident) Hemsworth won a strongman bell ringing contest using a Mjolnir prop.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #973
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I agree on RDJ incorporating a lot of his own persona into his Tony Stark performances. I'm glad though.because just like most of you I think comic book Stark is a very unlikely jerk. Hugh on the other hand doesn't incorporate nearly as much of his own persona as Wolverine other than.being charismatic as in lead should be.

Now Hemsworth's Thor feels more directly ripped out of the comic books with hardly any of it consisting of Chris being Chris. Although I do prefer MCU Thor over comic Thor character wise as he is a bit more layered and relatable, not to mention he seems like a lot smarter overall. Seriously if MCU Thor was as powerful as comic Thor he would easily kick his ass due to being more of a thinker than a "bruiser".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #974
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Anyone catch Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel last night? Even though he's down a lot of weight and only having one good hand (dislocated finger due to a Brazilian jiu jitsu accident) Hemsworth won a strongman bell ringing contest using a Mjolnir prop.
yeah I didn't see any clips tho, but I was sidetracked by Hopkins on Leno where they did show a clip between Loki and Odin

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #975
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
yeah I didn't see any clips tho, but I was sidetracked by Hopkins on Leno where they did show a clip between Loki and Odin
On Kimmel, they showed the clip everyone has seen of Thor smashing the Kronan.