The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #76
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bradley Cooper IS Rocket Raccoon

Yeah he's nice, right up until you make him mad and he claws/chews your face off.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #77
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I dunno, he has a touch of that road-weary ironic look going on. Good choice I think.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #78
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't know. . . can he do mean? He looks too nice.

Try poaching his trashcan and you'll find out soon enough.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #79
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
"Found raccoon for "Guardians of the Galaxy!" A Raccoon named Oreo, and it will be used as a model for Rocket Raccoon, (meaning that appearance and movements are copied exactly from Oreo.) "We are happy to share the news, our raccoon Oreo got his chance to star. He can work in James Gunn's 'Guardians of the Galaxy', and will be a model for the Jet raccoon. This news is very pleased us and we are so happy to be a part of this project. All, and especially James Gunn, refer to the Oreo with kindness and respect, and as always, our little friend is attracting attention to himself. We are very grateful for this opportunity and can not wait for the film."
Now that Oreo's a model now, they have to start giving him cocaine and cigarettes.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #80
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Just in case there was any lingering doubt about his accent...
https://twitter.com/AgentM/status/387646073038471168

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #81
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
Just in case there was any lingering doubt about his accent...
https://twitter.com/AgentM/status/387646073038471168
I'd call that a bullet dodged but I doubt they ever considered giving rocket a cockney accent. And I know for a fact that gunn et al would neeeever use a video game or even a cartoon as a reference point for a cinematic property. Except for what NOT to do.

Kudos for putting the speculation to rest. Complaints are now being accepted on the Jason statham fan club website.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 10-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #82
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I'd call that a bullet dodged but I doubt they ever considered giving rocket a cockney accent. And I know for a fact that gunn et al would neeeever use a video game or even a cartoon as a reference point for a cinematic property. Except for what NOT to do.

Kudos for putting the speculation to rest. Complaints are now being accepted on the Jason statham fan club website.
Is this dissing video games & cartoons? Because video games & cartoons have gotten alot of comic things right that movies haven't. Look at Spider-Man, the Spectacular Spider-Man series is better than ANY Spidey movie. Or look at Batman, Batman: TAS & Batman: Arkham City are better representations of the comics than ANY of the movies.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #83
Venomfan
Side-Kick

or what about the comics, where he had an english accent?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #84
Decypher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
or what about the comics, where he had an english accent?
Where is there an instance of it being an obvious cockney/british accent??

Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #85
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decypher View Post

If you look at Rocket's earliest appearances it's pretty easy to imagine the dialogue he's given as being said in a U.K. accent, though not necessarily a cockney one. But the phrasing and word choice can easily be thought of as "British".

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #86
Decypher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
If you look at Rocket's earliest appearances it's pretty easy to imagine the dialogue he's given as being said in a U.K. accent, though not necessarily a cockney one. But the phrasing and word choice can easily be thought of as "British".
I believe you but I am too lazy to dig through old comics to verify. Can you provide any direct quotes?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #87
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

The point is moot. The cinematic Rocket will have - as he should - an American accent. Now and forever. So get used to it.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #88
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decypher View Post

Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #89
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

The speech patterns actually suggest a very upper-class, Etonian English accent, quite different from Cockney.

And looking at his speech patterns in the comics NOW, you could probably argue more for it suiting a rough Brooklyn or Boston accent than Cockney.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #90
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

That example proves my point. Obviously rocket was a work in progress at that point and his american creators decided to give him a very stereotypical British accent. You know this because of the obvious vocabulary idioms and grammar. Then quite abruptly rocket dropped the British accent (that dialogue is a cringeworthy muddle of tv and film inspired britishisms.) for an equally obvious - but more subtle and accurate - American accent.

Bottom line: if the creators wanted the fully "matured" rocket to have a British accent they would have continued to write his dialogue the way they did in the above panels - albeit in a more refined, less in your face manner. They didn't.

Furthermore, the Brits that revamped the Guardians recently, who could have written very good natural British speech for rocket without any effort at all, made a conscious effort NOT to do this.

Rocket - outside of his primordial first try - has a generic american accent in the comics and now in all live action versions going forward. End of discussion. Thank god.

Edit: exactly right Keyser. Eton via 1930's Hollywood. The furthest thing from Cockney. Or *shudder* Jason Statham.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 11-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #91
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Even if they did have to go the Cockney route, I'd have taken Ray Winstone over Jason Statham any day of the week.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #92
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

True dat.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

He's never been consistently written with an English or cockney accent. You don't hire Bradley Cooper to voice a role like this and make him speak in a cockney accent.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #94
Venomfan
Side-Kick

well what does an english persons dialogue look like? you can't tell the posters that right on this board are english because of the way they write can you? i mean they (and us colony people) spell words different than americans, but otherwise don't talk a whole lot different other than some specialty words or phrases. I guess they could have put effort into making the words look like they were pronounced by a cockney tho

Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #95
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

The English language has several different mannerisms. I can't really describe them (despite myself being English ) but watch any clips of Only Fools and Horses on Youtube to get an idea of how cockney people would talk, and then "chavs" seem to have some whole other language although Rocky definitely would not speak like them

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #96
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
well what does an english persons dialogue look like? you can't tell the posters that right on this board are english because of the way they write can you? i mean they (and us colony people) spell words different than americans, but otherwise don't talk a whole lot different other than some specialty words or phrases. I guess they could have put effort into making the words look like they were pronounced by a cockney tho
They couldn't really write the dialogue in comics like a cockney accent because some of it would be unreadable then, especially to Americans. Plus, since it was Americans writing the dialogue, they wouldn't be completely familiar with all the pronunciations.

For example, a cockney Brit might write "about" but would pronounce the word more like "abaht". And even that phonetic spelling doesn't fully capture the cockney sound. Also, it's difficult to phonetically spell some cockney pronunciations - eg "water" would be "war'er" with the "t" clipped or completely unpronounced. But "war'er" doesn't quite convey that pronunciation when read. I don't think Americans would have a clue what is being spoken either if they just see "war'er". Even a Brit would find that hard to read on a printed page.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #97
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They couldn't really write the dialogue in comics like a cockney accent because some of it would be unreadable then, especially to Americans. Plus, since it was Americans writing the dialogue, they wouldn't be completely familiar with all the pronunciations.

For example, a cockney Brit might write "about" but would pronounce the word more like "abaht". And even that phonetic spelling doesn't fully capture the cockney sound. Also, it's difficult to phonetically spell some cockney pronunciations - eg "water" would be "war'er" with the "t" clipped or completely unpronounced. But "war'er" doesn't quite convey that pronunciation when read. I don't think Americans would have a clue what is being spoken either if they just see "war'er". Even a Brit would find that hard to read on a printed page.
ya i guess i would understand writing a cockney accent differently, but i find it slightly odd to write a characters dialogue with different spellings to make an accent obvious. It would be kind of annoying if you have that accent and to read dialogue that is all messed up to try and sound that way, when thats actually the normal way you say it. it makes it appear that the way it is being said is wrong since the spelling changes. Do they do this in the UK in regards to the american accent? as in write words to reflect the way it would sound coming from an american when that character is american

Last edited by Venomfan; 12-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Venomfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #98
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Just read GOTG Vol. 2 and 3.

RR's personality + Cooper = WIN

Can't wait

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #99
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
Just read GOTG Vol. 2 and 3.

RR's personality + Cooper = WIN

Can't wait
The Abnett/Lanning GOTG? Yeah, I can't wait to see what Gunn and Cooper have in store.

BTW, here's Bradley Cooper talking with Collider about the awesomeness that is Rocket, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pratt, and James Gunn. He seems really enthusiastic which is just great!

http://collider.com/rocket-raccoon-v...of-the-galaxy/

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #100
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
ya i guess i would understand writing a cockney accent differently, but i find it slightly odd to write a characters dialogue with different spellings to make an accent obvious. It would be kind of annoying if you have that accent and to read dialogue that is all messed up to try and sound that way, when thats actually the normal way you say it. it makes it appear that the way it is being said is wrong since the spelling changes. Do they do this in the UK in regards to the american accent? as in write words to reflect the way it would sound coming from an american when that character is american
They don't do that in the UK for American accents as far as I'm aware.

And in novels, it's actually easier to convey an accent. You wouldn't write in some funny phonetic spelling but would just write normally and state at the outset that the person spoke in a cockney accent. In a comic, unless someone else mentioned the person has a cockney accent, there's no way of telling with dialogue in a speech bubble.

I've seen comic writers write the dialogue with funny spellings before, but it does look weird. You couldn't have a whole comic like that but only maybe very short dialogue, because it is just grating to have to read it in a strange way.

For the lyrics to Skyfall, the chorus is written: "Let the sky fall, when it crumbles..." But Adele (Adehwl in cockney ) sings it as "Let the sky fow, when it crumbows..." I'm sure she might be offended if someone gave her a printed lyric sheet with that funny spelling just because she pronounces it that way with her cockney accent.