The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #51
HardBawl
Banned User

Default Re: Ryse: Son of Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Microsoft was the one who set up everything at the E3 presser. They're the ones who told Crytek what to do during the demonstration
Source? You have a link to a source proving that someone from MS instructed Crytek what to do during the demonstration?

Because that's just a bold face lie.

Pretty sure they just tell Crytek to demo the game. *That's it*.

Last edited by HardBawl; 08-26-2013 at 08:40 PM.
HardBawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #52
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Developers have no responsibility with the marketing and messaging of a video game. The publisher is the one at most risk because they are often the ones putting forth the money and it's often their IP being used. With Metal Gear Rising, it was not Platinum Games' responsibility to promote the game, it was Konami's. With Ratchet & Clank, it is not Insomniac's responsibility, it's Sony's. With Gears of War, it's Microsoft's duties to handle the messaging, not Epic Games. You see my point.
No. I don't see you point in the context of what we're discussing, again this is apples and oranges. Marketing a game and doing an onstage demo is two different things. One the Publisher does yes, the latter is the developer.

Last edited by HardBawl; 08-26-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #53
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not twisting anything, it's just simple fact. I certainly agree with you that there should be confidence in the developer, but there are a lot of times where the publisher just sets the developer up for failure because in the end, the messaging and promotion of a game lies completely with the publisher. Demonstrations are a part of the marketing and messaging of a game and Microsoft was the one who set up everything at the E3 presser. They're the ones who told Crytek what to do during the demonstration, and Microsoft were the ones who kept making the game out to be something that it isn't. Crytek deserves credit for going above and beyond what they should be doing and making sure that people think that this is going to be a good game (and they're doing a good job at it as well).

Developers have no responsibility with the marketing and messaging of a video game. The publisher is the one at most risk because they are often the ones putting forth the money and it's often their IP being used. With Metal Gear Rising, it was not Platinum Games' responsibility to promote the game, it was Konami's. With Ratchet & Clank, it is not Insomniac's responsibility, it's Sony's. With Gears of War, it's Microsoft's duties to handle the messaging, not Epic Games. You see my point.

Your post is just wrong man, all wrong. Full of wrong. But I'm not going to beat a dead horse any further.

If you can't see the error in your claim on trying to blame a publisher for a developer's representative's poor on stage demonstration of the game, than you clearly haven't got a clue.

And that's not a personal attack or an insult, or a troll, just plain fact.

Last edited by HardBawl; 08-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #54
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBawl View Post
No. I don't see you point in the context of what we're discussing, again this is apples and oranges. Marketing a game and doing an onstage demo is two different things. One the Publisher does yes, the latter is the developer.
Are you kidding me? Demonstrations are a huge part of marketing.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Whoever mucked up the Ryse demo certainly acted like they worked for Microsoft during that period with pretty much every comment or action by anyone linked to Micrsoft being a total disaster for what felt like about 6 months. Luckily they've since got a hold on this. As for 'testing the waters' there was plenty of chance for that when the rumours came out and pretty much every media outlet and 96% of fan comments were against their policies. The feedback was there for anyone who could read and if they'd reversed earlier and announced this at E3 they would have won that event by 100 miles.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
jacobed
Banned User

Crytek spent all of e3 telling people hey this isn't a qte full game. It has depth but nobody wanted to listen because it was a xbox one title. And everyone wanted to attack Microsoft at that time for no reason. This'll be one of the best games of the year and very possible the best of the next gen launch games, certainly the best looking

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Crytek spent all of e3 telling people hey this isn't a qte full game. It has depth but nobody wanted to listen because it was a xbox one title. And everyone wanted to attack Microsoft at that time for no reason. This'll be one of the best games of the year and very possible the best of the next gen launch games, certainly the best looking
The problem was that while Crytek was trying to tell everyone at E3 that this wasn't a QTE-fest, Microsoft kept hindering their efforts by saying things like how they didn't want to make things too difficult. Every step Crytek took, Microsoft forced them to take two steps back and that made things hard for Crytek in promoting the game. Crytek deserves a lot of praise IMO for trying to show off their game properly, but Microsoft just wouldn't let them. Now that Microsoft has kept their mouths shut and Crytek are showing off their hard work, it's become a lot easier for them to show that this has the potential to be a really good game. It's a damn shame IMO that the developer has to be the ones taking up the promotional duties due to the publisher's ineffectiveness at doing it.

And I certainly wouldn't say that people were attacking Microsoft for no reason. They deserved all the crap they got. Every single bit of it for what they tried to do.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
zenith16
Side-Kick

source:GI

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #59
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

So I got try this game out at Pax this weekend and thought it was awesome. I hadn't really heard or seen much about the game before the convention, but watching some people play got me really curious so my bro and I decided to wait in the 40 minute line and we didn't regret it.

I don't plan on getting an Xbox One, but this game kinda makes me wish I was. It's seriously one of the best looking games for this upcoming gen, and the mix of single player story mode with a co-op coliseum challenge mode sounded great. The demo was two-payer and consisted of two stages. The first was just basic arena fighting to get you used to the combat. And the second was a series of fights with small objectives, like burning huts, taking out archers, and more fighting.

There were a few glithces and hiccups with the combat, but noting that won't be fixed by launch I'm sure. Some of the execution QTE would slow down pretty bad or turn the camera in an awkward position. But when they worked, the co-op executions are brutal and really fun to pull off with a friend. A couple of the game's developers were actually there coaching people through the demo, and at one point one of them came up behind my brother and I and said " Alright good job. Looks like you guys don't need any help."

I got to try a lot of demos during the convention, but I think I may have had the most fun with this one. If only it were coming to PS4

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #60
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBawl View Post
Demonstrations, especially at high exposure events are absolutely in the realm of marketing. The developers might be the ones on stage, but the publisher is the one that dictates/okays what is shown and said.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #61
TheBat812
Side-Kick

This is the only game that I'll regret not being able to play since I'm only planning on getting a PS4. Looks badass.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #62
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyForPrez View Post
So I got try this game out at Pax this weekend and thought it was awesome. I hadn't really heard or seen much about the game before the convention, but watching some people play got me really curious so my bro and I decided to wait in the 40 minute line and we didn't regret it.

I don't plan on getting an Xbox One, but this game kinda makes me wish I was. It's seriously one of the best looking games for this upcoming gen, and the mix of single player story mode with a co-op coliseum challenge mode sounded great. The demo was two-payer and consisted of two stages. The first was just basic arena fighting to get you used to the combat. And the second was a series of fights with small objectives, like burning huts, taking out archers, and more fighting.

There were a few glithces and hiccups with the combat, but noting that won't be fixed by launch I'm sure. Some of the execution QTE would slow down pretty bad or turn the camera in an awkward position. But when they worked, the co-op executions are brutal and really fun to pull off with a friend. A couple of the game's developers were actually there coaching people through the demo, and at one point one of them came up behind my brother and I and said " Alright good job. Looks like you guys don't need any help."

I got to try a lot of demos during the convention, but I think I may have had the most fun with this one. If only it were coming to PS4
Cool. So is the combat good or QTE based?

Any other games that stood out for you?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #63
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Cool. So is the combat good or QTE based?

Any other games that stood out for you?
I thought it was good, but QTEs do seem to be a big part of it. You have a light and heavy attack, a shield push, and a shield block that makeup most of the combat. Once you've done enough damage to an enemy, you can execute them and that's where the QTE stuff comes in. Depending on how you time and pull off the prompts, the better the execution. You get one right, you chop their arm off, if you get them all right, you'll pull off a more brutal execution. You also have double executions where you kill two guys and team executions you pull off with a partner. So QTEs are definitely a big part of the combat but do offer some variation. And you don't have to do them, you can just keeping slashing to kill an enemy.

Another game that stood out was Titanfall but I only watched it, I didn't get to play it because the line was 90 minutes every time I walked by. But the footage I saw looked awesome.

Honestly, I was little disappointed with the demos offered by PS4. The three big games I wanted to check out like AC: Black Flag, Infamous Second Son, and Watchdogs didn't have playable demos. Instead, you wait in line to watch a Sony employee play in a tiny room that's decorated like a waiting area at Universal Studios. I didn't know this when I first got in line for Infamous, and was kinda pissed that they didn't make it more clear. I even asked a Sony guy "Is this the line for the Infamous demo?" and they just said yeah but didn't elaborate. I wasn't the only one who felt mislead.

Anyway, I thought Knack was a pretty fun game and Octodad was hilarious despite being a bit frustrating. Killzone Shadow Fall looked amazing and my brother really, really liked it despite not caring for past Killzone games. I'm not that great at competitive FPS so I didn't care for it that much.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #64
zenith16
Side-Kick

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #65
zenith16
Side-Kick

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
Soapy
It's happening again...

Ryse: Son of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers

"The final game won't be full of QTEs." they said.

"Don't worry, it has a deep combat system." they said.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #67
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

IGN and Gamespot gave it good reviews, but Joystiq doused it, too.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #68
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

IGN and Gamespot aren't really reliable though. Let's see what RPS gives it.

SolarTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #69
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Ryse: Son of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers

"The final game won't be full of QTEs." they said.

"Don't worry, it has a deep combat system." they said.
The article certainly suggests the combat has no real depth but it doesn't say it's full of QTEs. Seems the same as we've been led to believe after the post E3 clarifications that it'll be hack and slash with button prompts only to perform executions (I watched a 30 minute gameplay segment and didn't see any button prompts). That already sounds similar to Arkham/A Creed where you can get through all the combat in the game even on Hard (Arkham) using one button. However I never expected this game to review well and hearing that some of the opening scenes are generic Gladiator type stuff is not a surprise. I just hope it's fun as I find most hack and slash games to be enjoyable even though hardly any of them have unlocked the key to perfect gameplay. The ones that have depth are usually more difficult than I'd like and getting good at them is not fun in the way getting good at a beat'em up is and actually has taken away from the experience in those instances. Anyway we'll see, it'll be disappointing if this is crap as I love the setting of the game.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #70
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Another preview. Kind of what I figured.

Quote:
You see, what I played of the game didn’t offer up much variation. There’s additional details in the combat which I haven’t covered, but it’s still just combat. The only sections which provided any meaningfully varied gameplay were short spear-chucking and turret shooting sections, as well as a portion where you storm a building by forming a Roman tortoise defence with your squad’s shields. But these moments were fleeting and occasional. Over the course of what promises to be a meaty campaign, you have to wonder if Ryse: Son of Rome will become tiresome.
Put another way, Ryse is a stunningly beautiful game with character models, animations and environments that outstrip anything I’ve seen on next-gen hardware so far. It’s gorgeous. But while the visuals are undoubtedly next-gen, the gameplay is a throwback to days of old. We’re used to seeing combat like this at the heart of expansive titles like Assassin’s Creed and the Arkham games. Based on my time with it, Ryse: Son of Rome has no such depth of gameplay. It’s just a brutally efficient, entertaining brawler that may turn out to be rather limited in scope. Time will tell just how much of a problem that is.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #71
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Anyone else have this pre-ordered? Gameplay-wise I'm expecting something along the lines of Sleeping Dogs which I enjoyed playing. Being able to throw spears looks like a fun way to mix things up. I'm looking forward to this. Hoping for some large scale battles with lots of NPCs that really feel like a war.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #72
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Elephants.html
Ryse launch Trailer (with War Elephants )

Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #73
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

As long as this game isn't bad, I'm gonna get it. That combat looks too brutal to pass up.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #74
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
As long as this game isn't bad, I'm gonna get it. That combat looks too brutal to pass up.
Which is EXACTLY why I'm getting it on day one. That and Forza 5 are my day one games.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #75
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Which is EXACTLY why I'm getting it on day one. That and Forza 5 are my day one games.
Well make sure ya post some impressions man. If people start signing off on it, I'm gonna have to pick it up.