The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #576
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
I give up for this movie to have a good RT score.
It still has like 100 reviews to go. I think it's going to end with whatever The Wolverine ended with. Which is decent actually.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #577
insideguy
Banned User

Down to 65% and 38% with top critics. All in all this is pretty brutal. All three other major cbm scored wayyyy higher with top critics.

Last edited by insideguy; 11-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.
insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #578
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Down to 65% and 38% with top critics. All in all this is pretty brutal. All three other major cbm scored wayyyy higher with top critics.
Yeah, surprised by how brutal the Top Critics are on it.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #579
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post

"YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, RT!"
Bruhahaha, I understood that reference

But yeah, 60-65% is about right for this movie. These movies need to be more. Thor 1 was better because it was touching. When something is touching I'm more likely to come back for another viewing. For instance, for me, Thor explaining Yggdrasil to Jane destroys every scene in Thor TDW. Those are the scenes that make us care when things go boom. TDW had none of that.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 11-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #580
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

With the plot and character issues I've seen pointed out so far in reviews, I'm really not surprised it's getting hit by critics hard. It may not be the smartest or greatest Marvel movie, but it sounds like there are certainly some moments that CB fans will enjoy. I'm likely seeing it today or tomorrow so while the reviews sting a bit as a MCU fan, they probably won't affect my overall opinion too much once I do see it.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #581
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

I remember a funny pic someone made of Superman sinking under the skulls and replacing the skulls with green splats.

Someone should make a gif of Thor smacking away Splats with Mjolnir before being overwhelmed

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #582
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I hope no one lets Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic decide which films they should like.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #583
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I hope no one lets Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic decide which films they should like.
I've certainly never let them, but I do think the negative reviews scare away the average, on-the-fence moviegoers who are looking for a good time on the weekend with their limited entertainment spending. Plus, Marvel is going to have less positive reviews to use in promos for TDW's 2nd weekend.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #584
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Everybody has the ability to like what they like from birth, that requires no skill.

Critical assessment howeger can help inform which movies are fundamentally sound or flawed, and thus acquire something more substantial than the ability to like : the ability to understand.

I thought Thor 2 was one of the dumbest POS I had seen in years. The reviews are helping me understand why it does not work.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #585
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I've certainly never let them, but I do think the negative reviews scare away the average, on-the-fence moviegoers who are looking for a good time on the weekend with their limited entertainment spending. Plus, Marvel is going to have less positive reviews to use in promos for TDW's 2nd weekend.
Good point. People who only have money or time to watch a handful of movies per year pay a lot of attention to critics.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #586
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I think it could hurt fence sitters to a degree sure, I won't argue with that. It's already headed for about 90mil according to early numbers so will Marvel care a whole lot? Most were thinking 80 to 90+ mil and it's going to hit those numbers so mission accomplished on that front. It still headed for over 200mil and that's a good total to have.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #587
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Yeah, but don't reviews typically seem to be a better indicator of 2nd week revenues

so if the reviews continue this way, we could see a %60+ drop-off in week 2, which would suck

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #588
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Yeah, but don't reviews typically seem to be a better indicator of 2nd week revenues

so if the reviews continue this way, we could see a %60+ drop-off in week 2, which would suck
I dont know about that. There is nothing coming out to compete with it week two. Now week three Hunger Games is going to blow it off the map. But marvel has always been pretty smart about when it releases its films. I will give that to them.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #589
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

There isn't a lot of comp in its second weekend. It's a sequel so it was never exactly going to be dropping 40% in it's second weekend even with the complete lack of real competition.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #590
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

around the 60% area is about right for the film. Highest I would go is 70%, film doesn't deserve any more or any less.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #591
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it could hurt fence sitters to a degree sure, I won't argue with that. It's already headed for about 90mil according to early numbers so will Marvel care a whole lot? Most were thinking 80 to 90+ mil and it's going to hit those numbers so mission accomplished on that front. It still headed for over 200mil and that's a good total to have.
Bad reviews often correlate with how well sequels end up doing, not just how well the original movie does. Batman Begins is one example, it did poorly at the box office (~350 million), probably the legacy of Batman and Robin. But word of mouth built over several years that "actually, it was really good", then when Dark Knight came out, 1 billion dollars. Tomb Raider is the opposite case.

Marvel is building a franchise. Every good movie helps their future films make profits, and every bad movie undermines that effort.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #592
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Bad reviews often correlate with how well sequels end up doing, not just how well the original movie does. Batman Begins is one example, it did poorly at the box office (~350 million), probably the legacy of Batman and Robin. But word of mouth built over several years that "actually, it was really good", then when Dark Knight came out, 1 billion dollars. Tomb Raider is the opposite case.

Marvel is building a franchise. Every good movie helps their future films make profits, and every bad movie undermines that effort.
Didnt mean a damn thing with Transformers or Twilight.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #593
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:

I don't disagree with you at all. Surely Marvel or Warner Brothers (MOS lackluster reviews and huge second weekend plunge) or any company is not HAPPY with lackluster reviews. You are talking to someone whom thinks that the only reason Iron Man 3 didn't drop from Iron Man 2 is because of the Avengers proping it up. Marvel should definitely care about the reception of The Dark World.

I haven't been in the review thread yet so I don't know what the Hyper's who didn't like the film think the problems with it are. As a matter of fact the only review I have read is Devin Faraci's positive one on BadAss Digest. But I take him with a grain of salt now.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #594
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Didnt mean a damn thing with Transformers or Twilight.
Probably incorrect.

The creative teams behind those movies did try and evolve them. The Twilight movies have different tones from one another, and they veer slightly from the books in the last instalments, action scenes were added in. Similarly, Michael Bay put in a genuine effort in Transformers 3 and he did make it better than Transformers 2 in spite of its problems. If Transformers 2 had not been so bad, Transformers 3 would have made even more money than it did.

Further. Transformers and Twilight had very specific target audiences and they nailed those audiences. Thor 2 and the MCU, in contrast, is being marketed to "the general audience".

Finally, pointing out exceptions is never a valid argument.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #595
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all. Surely Marvel or Warner Brothers (MOS lackluster reviews and huge second weekend plunge) or any company is not HAPPY with lackluster reviews. You are talking to someone whom thinks that the only reason Iron Man 3 didn't drop from Iron Man 2 is because of the Avengers proping it up. Marvel should definitely care about the reception of The Dark World.

I haven't been in the review thread yet so I don't know what the Hyper's who didn't like the film think the problems with it are. As a matter of fact the only review I have read is Devin Faraci's positive one on BadAss Digest. But I take him with a grain of salt now.
Why do you take him with a grain of salt?

Honestly if I were you I would stay away from this thread until you see the movie. I believe in: have your own opinion, and then if you actually care, dissect the hell out of it once the movie comes out and use the critics as a reference point.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #596
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Probably incorrect.

The creative teams behind those movies did try and evolve them. The Twilight movies have different tones from one another, and they veer slightly from the books in the last instalments, action scenes were added in. Similarly, Michael Bay put in a genuine effort in Transformers 3 and he did make it better than Transformers 2 in spite of its problems. If Transformers 2 had not been so bad, Transformers 3 would have made even more money than it did.

Further. Transformers and Twilight had very specific target audiences and they nailed those audiences. Thor 2 and the MCU, in contrast, is being marketed to "the general audience".

Transformers is marketed to the GA...

Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #597
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

So I've been keeping track, and this movie was at 87% at 47 reviews, at 75% at 87 reviews, at 70% at 130 reviews, and now at 65% at 165 reviews, or something like that. It's basically averaging in the mid 50s aside from the first ~50 reviews that came from overseas reviewers. If it finishes with 220 reviews and the current trends, the final score will be 63%. If it finishes with 250 reviews and the current trends, the final score will be 62%. It could drop further if the final reviewers are biased by the dropping reviews and decide to gang up.

Either way, the people early in this thread who said that American reviewers like to poo-poo films were right. I thought they were making stuff up, but they were right. Does anybody know why this happens?

Is it possible Marvel deliberately released the movie overseas first to try and torque the reviews into a positive direction? I was absolutely shocked that it was released in Australia prior to being released in the USA.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #598
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Transformers is marketed to the GA...
It's very precisely targeted to males aged 8-20 with a little crossover. I don't think many women or men older than 30 were into the movie. Analogously with the Twiight films.

MCU wants to have movies that can appeal to almost everybody. Men, women, young, old.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #599
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Why do you take him with a grain of salt?

Honestly if I were you I would stay away from this thread until you see the movie. I believe in: have your own opinion, and then if you actually care, dissect the hell out of it once the movie comes out and use the critics as a reference point.
Oh I'm not reviewing the movie, I'm not making any judgements on the movie one way or the other. I think the movie looks better than the first previews wise. I'm only talking about the critical reception to the film and that's all. You are mistaken if you think my comment about him meant that I'm pre-judging the film.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #600
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Probably incorrect.

It is a valid argument because neither franchise was affected by bad reviews. Marvel is bigger than both of those franchises. The last twilight movie made 100 million more domestically than the first one despite horrible reviews throughout. The last transformers made more than the first one despite horrible reviews for the 2nd one. Marvel is a huge franchise and has its base. IM2 was worse than IM1 and it had no effect on the box office of IM3