The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #51
Mgneto
Side-Kick

Default Re: X2: X-Men United - 10 YEARS!

Still my favorite X-Men film. McKellen is at his absolute best in this one, especially in the "god among insects" scene where he recruits Pyro- this is remarkably powerful, to this day.

Famke is great too, a perfect balance of characters- only qualm is I'd like Cyclops to play a larger role, especially knowing that he had so little time left.

Mgneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #52
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgneto View Post
Still my favorite X-Men film. McKellen is at his absolute best in this one, especially in the "god among insects" scene where he recruits Pyro- this is remarkably powerful, to this day.
I loved that scene until he gives that look at Mystique like saying "he bought it, lol." I think the whole scene would have been better if he was 100% honest. Why wouldn't he, anyways?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #53
Rike
Something strange here?

X2 - 4th best Marvel comic book movie according to WhatCulture:
Quote:
After the first movie had established the universe and resulted in both critical and commercial success, Bryan Singer was now able to make the X-Men movie he had always wanted to. Armed with a bigger budget and several new characters, the sequel increases the personal stakes while also spectacularly upping the ante when it came to the action sequences.

Opening with Nightcrawler’s thrilling assault on the White House, the mixture of practical and CGI effects instantly establish that the scope of the movie has been expanded greatly. From there, the scale of the action keeps increasing; the attack on Charles Xavier’s mansion sees Wolverine go on the rampage in impressive style, before the extended third-act at Alkali Lake mixes close-quarters combat with superpowered destruction. It’s not all just mindless set-pieces, and much like the first movie the narrative carries undertones of love, loss, tragedy, and of course prejudice in Iceman’s famous ‘coming out’ scene. As emotional as it is action-packed, X-Men 2 is unquestionably one of the best comic book sequels ever made.

The popularity of the first installment and the rise of the superhero genre saw X-Men 2 open to $85.6m at the domestic box office, and the sequel would significantly out-gross its predecessor on its way to a worldwide total of $407.7m. The quality of the movie, as well as the closing shot, ensured that the inevitable third chapter had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, it couldn’t deliver.
Ranking All 31 Marvel Comic Book Movies - From Worst To Best

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #54
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Just finished rewatching it in preparation for DoFP. I always remembered loving this movie, but seeing it again now reminded me how incredible it really was. Just reminded me so much of the 90's Animated series when seeing such great group shots at the mansion at the beginning and together in uniform at the end of the movie. It's a shame that (in my opinion) none of the other movies have felt like this. First Class was great in its own right, but I just yearn to see Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Logan, Ect. as the core of the team.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #55
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Just rewatched the film today. It's amazing how well it has held up. Even if it was released today, I think it would be praised. The performances are very strong, great character development for an ensemble piece, the social commentary still remains very relevant, the dialogue doesn't even seem nearly as hokey as many modern CBMs, and I love how the majority of the film - especially the ending - sacrifices major action set pieces for a more contemplative, philosophical exchange of ideas. The finale with the president is brilliant, and the grounded tone of the film was ahead of it's time. Lovely film.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #56
antonydelfini
Quiver

Re-watched this. I was floored by how good this movie is. Only negative is Scott's presence in this movie could have been bigger and better.

1. DOFP 9/10
2. X2 8.5/10
3. The wolverine 8.5/10
4. First Class 8.5/10
5. X1 8/10
6. X3 6/10
7. Origins 5/10

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #57
grace
New User - Level 0

I've watched all of them again, I still like X2 the best. It's a long movie but the scenes are very well structured, so it's actually fast and very logical, the story flows naturally and artistically (especially the scenes with Nightcrawler). Rebecca Romjin makes an amazing Mystique - my favorite mutant, even when she kills she's graceful and humorous. "Because we shouldn't have to".
Ian McKellen - wow - hands down! "Mr. Laurio - never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who's interested in you!".
Professor X: We are not as alone as you think.
"Bobby, have you tried... not being a mutant?" LOL

grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #58
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Except now perhapes the best X-Men film Is now totally ilrelvent to series now.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Not to me, it isn't.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #60
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Except now perhapes the best X-Men film Is now totally ilrelvent to series now.
We don't know that yet.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #61
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Yeah we do.All non-FC films are now erased from contunity.

We have people here arguring the OT cast had nothing to do with success of DOFP,that casting of youn Cyclops,Jean,and storm shouldn't be concerned with ending of DOFP,and
rail against some OT being In Apocalypse.

Once you start taking films out of contunity they are ilrelvent.

X2 matters to Apocalypse and beyond as much as dark trilogy matters to BVS,The original Star trek to Nutrek3,any of the precraig bond films to Bond4,sorry it can't be called bond 24,and Terminator genesis to terminator 1 and 2 after the tiem travel in film also erases the past.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #62
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

They aren't erased. They just now took place in the 1st timeline of the series.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #63
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I don't play this timeline game.The completion of time travel mission In DOFP Is ending of
original chracters as we knew them from X_Men on.

Nothing In X2 will happen now.Now we will almost certinly see actors from past Non-FC
again but they really won't be characters from X2 and other non-FC films

Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #64
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Sure but is that so different from the OT cast doing a X5 X6 X7 movie in the same timeline with the original trilogy? They aren't always gonna look back what happened in the original trilogy.

And you keep forgetting the scene with Beast in DOFP, it was said that even if you throw a stone in the river of time and you create a ripple, the variables of time will somehow fix the ripples. Meaning just because you changed 1 thing in the past, doesn't mean everything that happens in the future is up in the air. Why do you think Rogue still got the white streak and all of the X-Men we saw in X-Men 3 are there at the end? Some things changed but not all of them.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #65
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

You should listen to kinberg's latest podcast.He doesn't challenge the notion of
FC as reboot.Reboot meaning other film didn't happen before DOFP was even made.Exceppt for using clips what really Is there to connect DOFP to other films including X2 apart from actors.

Rachel Summers was in first draft of DOFP and makes comment of in this timeline nightcrawler Is mystique's son.

He makes comment with regard to the scene your talking about that the ending shows the tide of history Is changed.

Showing rogue with white streak doesn't mean that Is connected to X-Men 1.
It simply means she has it like In Comics.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #66
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its a good thing Simon Kinberg doesn't call all the shots.

And what I meant with Rogue having white streak is, no matter how different the new timeline is, there are certain things that will be similar to the original cast and that includes Rogue having white streak, she is meant to get that just like how Beast/Colossus/Cyke/Jean/Storm/Iceman/Kitty/Rogue/Wolverine all ending up in the X-mansion.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #67
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Preach psylockolussus! I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #68
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Thanks Jaymes_E06!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Question!

So I was reading X2 in Wikipedia and saw this:

Quote:
Psylocke and Multiple Man were to have cameos for the scene when Stryker and his troops storm the X-Mansion.
Is this for real?

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #70
jihado86
Newbie First Class

I must admit, this movie and X1 grow on me every time I saw them, even though they can't reach FC and DOFP.

regarding the timeline debate here, just before DOFP release, Fox made a website called 25moments featuring 25 key moments defining mutants/humans relationship.
these moments were all connected to FC movie, it began in fact with the Cuban Missiles Crisis we saw in the movie, then the moments and the events went in a way that can't fit in the original trilogy, crisis between mutants and humans/governments was really intense since before X1, so many quasi-revolutions were led by mutants, they even were involved in some global events like Berlin Wall.
So, my theory is : FC and DOFP are already in a different timeline than the trilogy.
Hank McCoy in DOFP said something about course correction as a natural and inevitable feature in the universe, so either through the events of FC/DOFP or the trilogy, we will end up in a situation of crisis between mutants and humans, with different paths and events. While the events in the FC timeline were successive and intense throughout the years following 1962 until 2023, the events in the trilogy were more calm and less global. But the result is basically the same. some events could occur in both timelines, Jean & Scott also died in the FC timeline.

Also, in the original trilogy, sentinels weren't there, or at least not in a way that could justify their massive number in the post apocalyptic 2023.

So, FC and DOFP are in a totally different timeline, which itself got a third timeline after Wolverine was sent to the past in DOFP.

Last edited by jihado86; 08-25-2014 at 08:11 AM.
jihado86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #71
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

To simplize things just accept that FIrst Class was prequel to trilogy and after time travel events of DOFP only First Class and 1973,new 2023,and POst Credit scene of DOFP are cannon going Into Apocalypse.

Do I like the fact X2 has now been basicly erased from cannon.No.But.that's reality of situation.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #72
x-er
Side-Kick

^ do we know that for sure?

X2 should be placed on Netflix for a while, so as to promote DOFP !!!

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #73
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Apocalypse and any other past X_Men films won't lead to X2.

People will still have X2 on their dvd or blu-ray collections but as far as being part of "Cannon" of films anymore it's not after time travel events of DOFP.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #74
x-er
Side-Kick

Well, I don't see why it didn't lead there. The timeline changed, but it doesn't mean stryker didn't go through a similar life that lead to him plotting to use cerebro to exterminate the mutant race. jean grey is back but it could be that the jet flew off or that she came back as phoenix...

I don't see the hard proof that it's no longer "canon" other than the fact that a few things are no longer the same.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM   #75
Havok83
Side-Kick

best comic film ever made

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote