The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #626
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I think we have to accept that Marvel (Studio) movies are going to lean more towards comedy than drama and IMHO that's a mistake.
Excess comedy killed the genre(see Batman and Robin). If it's just going to be enjoyable comedy until the inevitable post-apocalyptic storm Ultron's going to bring I guess it's ok, but I'll be ticked off if I hear Whedon jokes every 5 seconds in a robot apocalypse in Avengers 2.

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #627
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Have to agree with this.
I'm buying MoS/IM3 (bought)/TDW
to complete collections rather than thinking the movies knocked it out the park. Not even bothering with TW where the final 10 minutes is too ridiculous for me to watch again.
I have no real intention of buying any of them unless the DVD extras are awesome, or unless they turn up in the bargain bin which is what I did for TDK Rises.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #628
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I really disliked this movie. I wonder if I would be ok with it if I had not found the jokes to be nails on a chalknoard unfunny.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #629
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Excess comedy killed the genre(see Batman and Robin). If it's just going to be enjoyable comedy until the inevitable post-apocalyptic storm Ultron's going to bring I guess it's ok, but I'll be ticked off if I hear Whedon jokes every 5 seconds in a robot apocalypse in Avengers 2.

I get comic relief, I do. Every time you have a tense scene the audience needs to be allowed to process, breathe and go again but too much just reduces the movie to inconsequential fluff.

I'll use T2 as an example. To have a tense act 1 and then they go to the desert for act 2, this is where all the comic relief happens to let the audience breathe and process act 1 and then in act 3 it is non stop action and drama till the end of the movie with hardly any comic relief at all. THAT is how you insert comic relief without harming the tone ad pacing of the movie.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #630
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I have no real intention of buying any of them unless the DVD extras are awesome, or unless they turn up in the bargain bin which is what I did for TDK Rises.
To be fair, all three movies have great sequences that make them worth purchasing. For instance, I hated IM3 but the sky dive scene was freaking incredible.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #631
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
I get comic relief, I do. Every time you have a tense scene the audience needs to be allowed to process, breathe and go again but too much just reduces the movie to inconsequential fluff.

I'll use T2 as an example. To have a tense act 1 and then they go to the desert for act 2, this is where all the comic relief happens to let the audience breathe and process act 1 and then in act 3 it is non stop action and drama till the end of the movie with hardly any comic relief at all. THAT is how you insert comic relief without harming the tone ad pacing of the movie.
Yeah, JeremyJahns sums up everyone's feelings on the matter.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #632
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I guess Marvel wants to have a reputation of light, fun movies. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I do think if their movies amounted to 'more' they would sell more tickets.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #633
ctsketch
Side-Kick

"A familiar world in danger story that should bring yawns to all those like me who are not fans of this genre"

Why are you reviewing a movie for a genre you don't even LIKE?! That would be like asking me to rate a documentary

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #634
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
"A familiar world in danger story that should bring yawns to all those like me who are not fans of this genre"

Why are you reviewing a movie for a genre you don't even LIKE?! That would be like asking me to rate a documentary
To play devil's advocate here...you don't necessarily have to a "fan" of something to enjoy it. Being a fan denotes some sense of devotion, loyalty, or even obsession with something.

I'm no fan of sports movies, but there are several very well-done films (Remember the Titans, Invincible, A League of their Own, etc.) that I enjoyed very much and would call excellent movies.

Just because he isn't a CBM "fan", doesn't mean he doesn't like good CBM movies.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #635
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
To play devil's advocate here...you don't necessarily have to a "fan" of something to enjoy it. Being a fan denotes some sense of devotion, loyalty, or even obsession with something.

I'm no fan of sports movies, but there are several very well-done films (Remember the Titans, Invincible, A League of their Own, etc.) that I enjoyed very much and would call excellent movies.

Just because he isn't a CBM "fan", doesn't mean he doesn't like good CBM movies.
good point

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #636
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:

Well said. Fans or not, critics know a dud when they see one.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #637
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:

A good movie is a good movie. If a movie is good then it will transcend the genre so even non fans of the genre will appreciate the movie.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #638
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Because the average reader of a newspaper/magazine isn't necessarily a dedicated fan of superheroes? Why should, say, the Wall Street Journal employ fan reviewers if their readership aren't necessarily fans?

Because a consistent point of view gives the reader of a review more idea of where they're coming from than a random selection of critics that are "fans" but don't write well or tell the audience whether they have similar tastes.

Because, the movie going audience is diverse and critics should at least be somewhat reflective of various niches of the audience. A Rotten Tomatoes where every movie got 100% because only "fans" were allowed to review movies would be meaningless.

One Roger Ebert who reviewed films of all genres and wrote thoughtfully and well about it, is worth 100 fan critics.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #639
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
I do not understand why 70+ is bad, I think its really good rating for comic book movie as it`s not piece of art or anything in marvel case it`s just a fragment of the whole picture. Only marvel movie that is worthy of it`s 90+ grade is IM (and I hate character with passion).

BTW really do not understand First Class`s 87% there is nothing special about it in my opinion.
I agree with you there .
Not a First Class Fan.
I did like the first two Singer films though.
I look forward to DOFP.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #640
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I agree with you there .
Not a First Class Fan.
I did like the first two Singer films though.
I look forward to DOFP.
X:FC is my 3rd favorite superhero movie of all time (behind TDK and SM2). I thought it was utterly brilliant. I thought it was far better than X2, the X movie that is lauded as the best of the franchise.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #641
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:

I agree.
I am not a huge fan of Sports Movies ,
But , I just saw Miracle,which I Loved on HBO.
And coincidentaly, I was thinking of Remember The Titans while I watched it .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #642
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

Quote:

I never get this argument . I watched the movie with my wife last night who is not a comic book movie fan at all ( she once asked me why doesn't Spiderman or Batman show up in the avengers movies) ..... We both loved the movie for completely different reasons, of course I loved seeing new comic book movie, she loved the love story between Jane and Thor, the human side of the movie with selvig and Darcy, and I'm sure Thor looking the way he does didn't hurt. My point is, I think some film critics go in with the thought that no comic book movie can be good or they are above the genre which I feel makes most of them useless.

james-in-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #643
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I don't think it's a coincidence that the superhero movies that are considered the best have high scores with critics and the general audience. Let's not cry foul now.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #644
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

This is truely a sad day for Thor fans, low score on RT and unimpressive opening weekend.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 11-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #645
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
This is truely a sad day for Thor fans, low score on RTFM and impressive opening weekend.
...wut?

ゴジラ
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #646
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Typo, sorry I'm just so DAMN upset!

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #647
Liam_H
Side-Kick

In the grand scheme of things those two don't effect the quality of the movie. Thor 3 is still coming.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #648
Moonwing
Side-Kick

OW is good for November 87 was a high end for me so 81-82 is more than o.k. I warned you BigThor about 100+mil, that it would not happen, so you set yourself for disappointment. Relax, it will have it`s 150+- mil increase and sequel and only this is important. They should find better writers for next one thought.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #649
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

If Thor 2 would've been well received by critics and score a massive opening Marvel would finally take Thor more seriously.

Look at how lack luster Thor 2's marketing was compares to IM3's, now that type of stuff is only going to continue.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #650
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
If Thor 2 would've been well received by critics and score a massive opening Marvel would finally take Thor more seriously.

Look at how lack luster Thor 2's marketing was compares to IM3's, now that type of stuff is only going to continue.
Dude, you just got a multi-million dollar, action-packed, special-effects-packed Marvel epic featuring Thor as a main character...THREE YEARS IN A ROW. When was the last time a live-action Thor was on any screen at all?

Oh yeah...

Let's try to keep a little perspective here, huh?

ゴジラ