The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #251
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil reboot in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I actually would kind of like it if they have the accident *only* cause his blindness. His sharpening senses come first from natural acclimation, and later from exotic training by Stick.
Some of his more exceptional skills, such as radar sense, would be difficult to put just on training. If Netflix DD is able to read printed words through touch or isolate the sound of one cough from millions of people, he'll need some sort of boost. One way to tie the Netflix series together would be to have a truck carrying the same experimental genetic enhancement formula used on Luke Cage crash into Matt, creating his enhanced senses.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #252
Loki882
Side-Kick

That could work. Another question is what should his costume look like? I really liked the movie costume, should it be something like that or something different? Also, can we please get a proper version of Elektra, pretty please Marvel?

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #253
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
That could work. Another question is what should his costume look like? I really liked the movie costume, should it be something like that or something different? Also, can we please get a proper version of Elektra, pretty please Marvel?
I'd like Matt to end up in something like the Affleck suit (though not in leather) EVENTUALLY. With 13 episodes to play with they have plenty of time to build up to the reveal by going through stages - street clothes & cane, billy club, yellow suit with mask, red suit with horned cowl. Take your time so that Matt's swinging through the air in his traditional outfit seems like a perfectly reasonable decision based on what we've learned about the character.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #254
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I'm not a fan at all of delaying the inevitable....i.e., seeing Matt suit up as DD. That's what viewers will tune in for; not having to wait 5 or 6 episodes for Daredevil to become Daredevil. He should be in his devil-red suit by no later than the end of the 2nd episode, tops.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #255
Silvermoth
Avenger

Really? Second episode? I would go straight into it. I would probably head straight into it, into matts intensity as daredevil and then spend the rest of the season going into what he's like as a person. I wouldn't even mention the accident that gave him his powers until the second last episode.

That's just me though

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #256
Zarex
Side-Kick

I don't know - with the cowl, horns, DD symbol and red unitard, Matt's got a very loud costume. Movies that handled the introduction of similar types of suits - Raimi's Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Captain America: TFA - all eased the viewer into the final suit by having our hero wear transitional costumes and explaining how and why we ended up with the final outlandish design. You don't need half a season, but if Netflix and Marvel are starting from the fixed fight and the accident they need at least a couple of episodes to get DD where he needs to be.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #257
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Isn't DD's yellow and black costume more loud and outlandish than his red one? It looks almost like a circus outfit. In the Affleck movie it was a dark red and didn't really look loud at all. It blended into the night shadows well and didn't stand out too much.

It's not like Hulk has had to go from grey to green to ease viewers into his bright colour.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #258
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I don't know - with the cowl, horns, DD symbol and red unitard, Matt's got a very loud costume. Movies that handled the introduction of similar types of suits - Raimi's Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Captain America: TFA - all eased the viewer into the final suit by having our hero wear transitional costumes and explaining how and why we ended up with the final outlandish design. You don't need half a season, but if Netflix and Marvel are starting from the fixed fight and the accident they need at least a couple of episodes to get DD where he needs to be.
DD's costume can get by with some practical and symbolic excuses. If you're going to go out thug-hunting at night on the rooftops, you're going to need a dark (even dark red), aerodynamic unitard kind of suit; and the horns and the like can be symbolic, designed to elicit fear and urban legends, just like the Batsuit in BB. I don't think audiences would find that too hard to grasp, especially in a universe that's already filled with superheroes and villains in funny costumes. DD's threads have always been cooler and sexier than some of the more garish Gold/Silver Age designs.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #259
Loki882
Side-Kick

If they'll buy Loki's Reindeer Horn helmet, then they'll buy DD costume. It's just a red costume with little horns, that's nowhere near as "exotic" a costume as Batman or Spiderman, or Thor, etc have.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #260
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
I'd like Matt to end up in something like the Affleck suit (though not in leather) EVENTUALLY. With 13 episodes to play with they have plenty of time to build up to the reveal by going through stages - street clothes & cane, billy club, yellow suit with mask, red suit with horned cowl. Take your time so that Matt's swinging through the air in his traditional outfit seems like a perfectly reasonable decision based on what we've learned about the character.
I agree, something similar but different material, it was a little too shiny for my taste.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #261
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some of his more exceptional skills, such as radar sense, would be difficult to put just on training.
Only if you are unwilling to have Stick practicing actual quasi-mystic kung fu. Which, given we *know* Iron Fist exists in the same setting, would be silly.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #262
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And I'd go with putting Matt in the costume in the first episode. You can fill in more of his backstory with flashbacks or flashback episodes.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #263
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Some of his more exceptional skills, such as radar sense, would be difficult to put just on training. If Netflix DD is able to read printed words through touch or isolate the sound of one cough from millions of people, he'll need some sort of boost. One way to tie the Netflix series together would be to have a truck carrying the same experimental genetic enhancement formula used on Luke Cage crash into Matt, creating his enhanced senses.
I really hope we get a scene similar to this, where he's sitting on a rooftop for hours and sifting through all kinds of sounds until he finds what he's looking for.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #264
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Only if you are unwilling to have Stick practicing actual quasi-mystic kung fu. Which, given we *know* Iron Fist exists in the same setting, would be silly.
I don't know if supernaturaly derived powers works for DD. I'd stick with the goo.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #265
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingi32 View Post
I would really choose they preserve the ninjas for the follow up. Let the first film be "Daredevil vs Criminal activity," with the Kingpin as the big bad. That said, you should completely consist of the Chaste and Keep, as aspect of his source tale. Concentrate less on the incident that distracted him, and more on his kung fu enlightenment coaching.
There is no film. It's going to be a Netflix TV series.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #266
Loki882
Side-Kick

Elektra showing up HAS to happen, I will call foul if it doesn't. I want to see a PROPER Elektra and now we have another chance. Typhoid Mary or Lady Bullseye would be cool villains to see, maybe working for the Kingpin like in the comics.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #267
Paradox1
Side-Kick

They have to a arc where Kingpin puts a bounty on Daredevil's head and he brings in a group assassins to do it.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #268
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Elektra showing up HAS to happen, I will call foul if it doesn't. I want to see a PROPER Elektra and now we have another chance. Typhoid Mary or Lady Bullseye would be cool villains to see, maybe working for the Kingpin like in the comics.
It's a whole season. Odds are, Gladiator, Bullseye, Elektra, Mister Fear, Owl, Spot, Kingpin, Typhoid Mary and Nuke will all show up at some point or another to fight the man without fear.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #269
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
It's a whole season. Odds are, Gladiator, Bullseye, Elektra, Mister Fear, Owl, Spot, Kingpin, Typhoid Mary and Nuke will all show up at some point or another to fight the man without fear.
Would Spot work on a TV budget though? Most DD super villains are TV friendly though, only a few exceptions like Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde might tricky to pull off on a TV budget.

I would rather a wide variety of villains appear, rather it just being Kingpin and Bullseye.

I am hoping this will actually be good, because frankly I never seen a good live action super hero series, I gave up on Agents of SHIELD after a couple of episodes, it was pretty bland and uninteresting.

Last edited by The Overlord; 12-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #270
Loki882
Side-Kick

I highly doubt that Marvel would go through the trouble of making a TV show and ONLY use two villains. In a movie, two villains is plenty, but not in a TV show. Typhoid Mary is the villain that I want to see the most, I love her bats**t insanity.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #271
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
I highly doubt that Marvel would go through the trouble of making a TV show and ONLY use two villains. In a movie, two villains is plenty, but not in a TV show. Typhoid Mary is the villain that I want to see the most, I love her bats**t insanity.
Well you obviously would have an ongoing arc with DD fighting against Kingpin's criminal empire.

I think a good question is, which DD villains would and would not work on TV series.

Besides the obvious choices: Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, Elektra and Typhoid Mary, there some interesting choices among the B and C-list DD villains:

Gladiator is a must, I think he is an important part of DD lore, that can start as a villain and become a supporting cast. I think you need Owl for a gang war story with Kingpin, but I don't know what else you do with him. I kinda like Bullet. The Larry Cranston version of Mr. fear is kinda of interesting, he had a personal grudge against Matt before he knew he was DD, but I wonder if people will think he is too similar to Scarecrow. I like Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde, but they might be tricky to pull off in live action. I like Purple Man, but he plays a more important role in Jessica Jones life than DD's, I wonder if he will be introduced into DD's series and later show up in Jessica Jones'.

In terms of villains who shouldn't show up: Jester is too much of an obvious Joker rip off, Mr. Fear used the fear gas gimmick before Scarecrow, so whether he is a rip off is debatable, but Jester is a rip off of the most famous super villain of all. Stilt-Man would cost too much and his cost could not be justified by the limited role be would play on the show. Seriously if you want some goofy villain for DD to beat up within the first 5 episodes of an episode there is Matador, Leap-Frog and Turk, Stilt-Man brings nothing important to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Really? Second episode? I would go straight into it. I would probably head straight into it, into matts intensity as daredevil and then spend the rest of the season going into what he's like as a person. I wouldn't even mention the accident that gave him his powers until the second last episode.

That's just me though
Well a little build up wouldn't hurt, they may have to go over the origin for the general audience, but I would want DD in costume by the end of the first episode.

Last edited by The Overlord; 12-01-2013 at 01:43 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #272
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
They could use at least 10 villains in a 13-episode show.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #273
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

They *could* do almost anything. There aren't any real restrictions and they aren't trying to fill a quota.

Also agreed about Typhoid Mary, she's my favorite DD villain and she's awesome.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #274
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I wonder how long it takes until we start hearing casting rumours.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #275
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Well you obviously would have an ongoing arc with DD fighting against Kingpin's criminal empire.

I think a good question is, which DD villains would and would not work on TV series.

Besides the obvious choices: Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, Elektra and Typhoid Mary, there some interesting choices among the B and C-list DD villains:

Gladiator is a must, I think he is an important part of DD lore, that can start as a villain and become a supporting cast. I think you need Owl for a gang war story with Kingpin, but I don't know what else you do with him. I kinda like Bullet. The Larry Cranston version of Mr. fear is kinda of interesting, he had a personal grudge against Matt before he knew he was DD, but I wonder if people will think he is too similar to Scarecrow. I like Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde, but they might be tricky to pull off in live action. I like Purple Man, but he plays a more important role in Jessica Jones life than DD's, I wonder if he will be introduced into DD's series and later show up in Jessica Jones'.

In terms of villains who shouldn't show up: Jester is too much of an obvious Joker rip off, Mr. Fear used the fear gas gimmick before Scarecrow, so whether he is a rip off is debatable, but Jester is a rip off of the most famous super villain of all. Stilt-Man would cost too much and his cost could not be justified by the limited role be would play on the show. Seriously if you want some goofy villain for DD to beat up within the first 5 episodes of an episode there is Matador, Leap-Frog and Turk, Stilt-Man brings nothing important to the table.

Well a little build up wouldn't hurt, they may have to go over the origin for the general audience, but I would want DD in costume by the end of the first episode.
Gladiator's look and powers could be really iconic in live action with those whirling blades, especially if he had been in a movie. If you're going to have Gladiator, then Deathstalker should follow close behind, along with Man Thing.

And don't forget that once DD fought both Gladiator and the Beetle together. Also, both Gladiator and the Beetle are Iron Man villains (the Beetle has also fought Spidey).