The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #676
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
As a Thor fan, I don't understand how you could be disappointed with Thor: The Dark World. It kicked ass.

I just hope it makes enough money to have a sequel with a big enough budget to bring Beta Ray Bill and Surtur to the big screen.

Who cares about Rotten Tomatoes? It's a neat little badge and all if the numbers fall in your favor but clearly after the way the score for Man of Steel turned out, the system is broken. Why do I need someone else to tell me what I like?
Completely agreed. Not that I have anything vested in "critical consensus", and no, T:TDW isn't a masterpiece, but the 66% score currently on RT is quite inexplicable to me. It almost seems like the critical backlash has more to do with bringing the (perceived) now too-big-for-its-britches Marvel Studios down a peg than actual objective analysis of the movie. I really really liked it and think it's the best CBM of the year thus far. Quite an improvement over the original Thor movie IMO, which was good in it's own right.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #677
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Completely agreed. Not that I have anything vested in "critical consensus", and no, T:TDW isn't a masterpiece, but the 66% score currently on RT is quite inexplicable to me. It almost seems like the critical backlash has more to do with bringing the (perceived) now too-big-for-its-britches Marvel Studios down a peg than actual objective analysis of the movie. I really really liked it and think it's the best CBM of the year thus far. Quite an improvement over the original Thor movie IMO, which was good in it's own right.
i really hope people don't believe this. non-comic-book-movies get "bad"* reviews too. just because you like something that others do not, it doesn't mean there is some conspiracy afoot.

if you liked it, that's all that matters. no one can take that away from you.

* not that 66% is even bad

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #678
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yes its not bad. And story-wise, do people really think this should get a rating than 80% or higher than what Thor 1 got. Story, the script and character development are the most important things to critics. They give less importance to the visual effects, action sequences, costumes, sets as they intend to get better through time and the evolution of technology.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #679
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Or, maybe they didnt like it .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #680
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yes its not bad. And story-wise, do people really think this should get a rating than 80% or higher than what Thor 1 got. Story, the script and character development are the most important things to critics. They give less importance to the visual effects, action sequences, costumes, sets as they intend to get better through time and the evolution of technology.
Yeah, not sure why people are surprised by the 66% on RT. It's an enjoyable enough movie but the story certainly requires the viewer to turn off their brain to make sense.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #681
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I meant as far as marketing and his limited role in The Avengers.
Since the MCU launched, only Iron Man has been in more movies than Thor.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #682
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Yeah, not sure why people are surprised by the 66% on RT. It's an enjoyable enough movie but the story certainly requires the viewer to turn off their brain to make sense.
As a comparison, Pacific Rim got 72%. It's also a "dumb awesome action movie", like Thor 2, but with a superior narrative, no dumb jokes, and vastly superior production value. Better score, better visuals, better everything.

By that standard Thor 2 should be a lot lower than 66%, and I didn't like PR that much, I thought it was "meh", but it wasn't "bad" by any means.

The way I see it, RT are very accurate for Hollywood movies, and the typical precision is probably around ~5%.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-10-2013 at 03:09 AM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #683
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
As a comparison, Pacific Rim got 72%. It's also a "dumb awesome action movie", like Thor 2, but with a superior narrative, no dumb jokes, and vastly superior production value. Better score, better visuals, better everything.

By that standard Thor 2 should be a lot lower than 66%, and I didn't like PR that much, I thought it was "meh", but it wasn't "bad" by any means.

The way I see it, RT are very accurate for Hollywood movies, and the typical precision is probably around ~5%.
Did PacRim really end up at 72%? Yikes. That movie was hot garbage.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #684
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Did PacRim really end up at 72%? Yikes. That movie was hot garbage.
And that is what makes this wonderful. Some people love TDW, and hate PR. Others adore MoS, but can't stand IM3. Others haven't watched any of them .And then there are people who like me, who just enjoys all of them, granted to varying degrees. It is the beauty of opinion.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #685
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

Theoretically, if there are no more suprise cameos, and no one can be sure of that, by the end of Phase 2 I think it will look like this.

Stark 6
Cap 5
Thor 4
Widow 4
Banner 4
Clint 3

Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #686
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Wall Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

I really don't see how you could say Thor 2 was a dumb action movie. I don't agree with that at all. Yes it was an action movie but not dumb by any means.

You have the character arc of Thor who is becoming wiser and kinder and is in love with a mortal who he knows he will outlive by leaps and bounds. You have the character arc of estranged and tormented Loki seeking redemption with amazing moments between his brother, his mother and his father. You have the arc of Jane who is in love with a being from another world and has been coping with Thor's absence all the while searching for him for two years. You have the arc of Eric Selvig a scientist searching for answers while coping with the mad reality that has unfolded around him. You have the relationship between Frigga and Odin and all the family dynamics beneath them. You still have the father-son arc from the first film between Thor and Odin which very much true to life ebbs and flows like any father-son relationship where you see Odin and Thor are not so different in their headstrong ways. You have the subtler arc of Thor's relationships with his friends the Warriors Three and Sif and their love of and loyalty to Thor. You even were treated to character moments between Heimdall and Thor. Meanwhile, you have the backdrop arc of Asgard and the Nine Realms which have been embroiled in war since the events of the first Thor. Lastly you have the antagonist of Malekith, his relationship with Algrim and the motivations for him and his people the Dark Elves.

That's a hell of a lot to fit in under two hours while delivering the best action of any MCU movie to date.

The only legitimate criticism I've seen of this movie is the lack of development of the main antagonist so yes Malekith does come across a little as a one-note villain. This is exactly why I would love to see an "Extended Edition", "Director's Cut" whatever. But Marvel clearly had an agenda to keep this under two hours. Even so this cut worked.

Why is this a dumb movie? Because it made you laugh? I thought the humor was perfectly injected to keep the movie entertaining for all those who might find Asgardian drama and such high powered action a little heavy handed. Otherwise, you have people complaining how this film was a big depressing bore like Man of Steel. (And I happened to love Man of Steel - but let's be honest the battle dragged on for way too long for non-comic fans... and even some comic fans.)

Some of you guys make it sound like a Michael Bay movie - Jeez.... Would you have ever seen a scene as beautiful and powerful as the funeral in Asgard in a dumb action movie? I understand if this film wasn't your cup of tea but sorry that label rankles me a little.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #687
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I really don't see how you could say Thor 2 was a dumb action movie. I don't agree with that at all. Yes it was an action movie but not dumb by any means.

You have the character arc of Thor who is becoming wiser and kinder and is in love with a mortal who he knows he will outlive by leaps and bounds. You have the character arc of estranged and tormented Loki seeking redemption with amazing moments between his brother, his mother and his father. You have the arc of Jane who is in love with a being from another world and has been coping with Thor's absence all the while searching for him for two years. You have the arc of Eric Selvig a scientist searching for answers while coping with the mad reality that has unfolded around him. You have the relationship between Frigga and Odin and all the family dynamics beneath them. You still have the father-son arc from the first film between Thor and Odin which very much true to life ebbs and flows like any father-son relationship where you see Odin and Thor are not so different in their headstrong ways. You have the subtler arc of Thor's relationships with his friends the Warriors Three and Sif and their love of and loyalty to Thor. You even were treated to character moments between Heimdall and Thor. Meanwhile, you have the backdrop arc of Asgard and the Nine Realms which have been embroiled in war since the events of the first Thor. Lastly you have the antagonist of Malekith, his relationship with Algrim and the motivations for him and his people the Dark Elves.

That's a hell of a lot to fit in under two hours while delivering the best action of any MCU movie to date.

The only legitimate criticism I've seen of this movie is the lack of development of the main antagonist so yes Malekith does come across a little as a one-note villain. This is exactly why I would love to see an "Extended Edition", "Director's Cut" whatever. But Marvel clearly had an agenda to keep this under two hours. Even so this cut worked.

Why is this a dumb movie? Because it made you laugh? I thought the humor was perfectly injected to keep the movie entertaining for all those who might find Asgardian drama and such high powered action a little heavy handed. Otherwise, you have people complaining how this film was a big depressing bore like Man of Steel. (And I happened to love Man of Steel - but let's be honest the battle dragged on for way too long for non-comic fans... and even some comic fans.)

Some of you guys make it sound like a Michael Bay movie - Jeez.... Would you have ever seen a scene as beautiful and powerful as the funeral in Asgard in a dumb action movie? I understand if this film wasn't your cup of tea but sorry that label rankles me a little.
Good thing they undercut all that by making it so dumb and funny.

Would a "smart" action flick have Jane discover the Aether the way this film did? Would a smart action film follow up the funeral scene with another bit of Darcy/Selvig comedy?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #688
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Good thing they undercut all that by making it so dumb and funny.

Would a "smart" action flick have Jane discover the Aether the way this film did? Would a smart action film follow up the funeral scene with another bit of Darcy/Selvig comedy?
Don't see the issue here. Clearly the Aether was awakening because of the convergence and because Jane was looking for Thor she stumbled on the convergence which led her to the Aether. Heimdall explained this.

As far as Darcy etc., I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. You are of course entitled to your opinions but don't state them as fact.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #689
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Don't see the issue here. Clearly the Aether was awakening because of the convergence and because Jane was looking for Thor she stumbled on the convergence which led her to the Aether. Heimdall explained this.
The issue it is beyond random and ridiculous that Jane not only stumbles onto the Aether, but how see did it. It is so eye-rollingly convenient.

The exact thing that could put her back into contact with Thor is what she just happens to come across. Amazingly dumb.

Quote:
As far as Darcy etc., I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. You are of course entitled to your opinions but don't state them as fact.
I actually like Darcy's humor more then quite a few here, but what I am talking about is using it during appropriate moments. Look at the finale. Malekith comes to cast the universe into darkness, to end all life. The man responsible for the death of Thor's mother and brother. And they decide to turn the scene into a cross between a bad Buster Keaton impersonation and a CBS sitcom. Not a great time for that imo.

Same for the funeral. You try and have a emotional scene, and you kill its effect by following it with badly timed comedy. It is why you don't show up at a funeral cracking tasteless jokes.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #690
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Dude Thor TDW is better than IM3. It's not the perfect Thor movie that we have in our heads but it was a good movie. Seriously. WB took MOS ultra serious and the RT score is in the 50% critics hate it and its got a roten. That doesn't phase me.
In case of MOS, critics were expecting a movie with tone and look similar to that of Donner Superman movies, that was one of the reasons why MOS got low Rt rating. So, tomatometer does not really reflect the quality of MOS.

How serious a movie is, should not be parameter for giving out ratings, judge each movie on it's merits, ... not based on what you expected to see on-screen. Impartial evaluation is needed.

Critics with biases are not professional (IMO.), they are more like fanboys.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #691
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Jane stumbling upon the convergence makes sense. But that the portal takes her to directly to the Aether rather than anywhere else in the other eight worlds strains all credibility. And that isn't even the only time in the movie we get some ridiculous plot convenience like this.

Last edited by ares834; 11-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #692
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
The issue it is beyond random and ridiculous that Jane not only stumbles onto the Aether, but how see did it. It is so eye-rollingly convenient.

The exact thing that could put her back into contact with Thor is what she just happens to come across. Amazingly dumb.
Quote:
Jane stumbling upon the convergence makes sense. But that the portal takes her to directly to the Aether rather than anywhere else in the other eight worlds strains all credibility. And that isn't even the only time in the movie we get some ridiculous plot convenience like this.
No more random than Bilbo Baggins finding the ring of doom. This isn't a case of a symbiote meteorite landing next to the one of the only super powered persons on the planet. She located an anomaly based on an energy signature she had been looking for.

Further she didn't fall through the portal like the car keys - she was pulled into it. Obviously by the Aether. This is all explained in the movie. Maybe you should've paid closer attention. Odin revealed that the Aether would seek a host body. She was the closest body available.

And honestly, are we really debating this plot point in a movie based on a comic where a dude flies around with a hammer? How exactly does the hammer defy all laws of science? How exactly does Superman fly? I mean come on.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #693
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
The Aether sensed her and sought her out. Hence why she found it. It SEEKED her through the portal. So, it actually isn't a convenience at all. She was close to a portal to the Aether, it sense it...pulled her in, and gotz host body!!!! Makes sense to me.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #694
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually like Darcy's humor more then quite a few here, but what I am talking about is using it during appropriate moments. Look at the finale. Malekith comes to cast the universe into darkness, to end all life. The man responsible for the death of Thor's mother and brother. And they decide to turn the scene into a cross between a bad Buster Keaton impersonation and a CBS sitcom. Not a great time for that imo.

Same for the funeral. You try and have a emotional scene, and you kill its effect by following it with badly timed comedy. It is why you don't show up at a funeral cracking tasteless jokes.
Sorry I didn't get this same vibe as you. I felt they took the deaths very seriously. Thor, Loki and Odin were all dealing with the grief. Earth has no freaking clue what's happening in Asgard and let's face it - the idea of a hammer wielding god playing hero on Earth in modern times is preposterous. The humor is what makes it work. If you've ever read a Thor comic you know along with the wacky mix of fantasy, sci-fi and superheroics there are the Midgard scenes which always have humor.

Further, Thor wasn't cracking jokes like RDJ. He plays the straight man all the time. And the juxtaposition of the affairs of Asgard vs. Midgard's obliviousness was obvious by Selvig's reaction to Thor's news of Loki's death. As far as he's concerned Loki was an evil SOB that messed up his mind and killed hundreds probably thousands. Glad he's dead. By the same token Loki looks as humans as insects to be trampled underfoot. Even Odin considered Jane in Asgard an affront.

There is total dichotomy here and the film handled it very well.

Lastly, your whole premise is flawed and reflects a lack of understanding about Asgardians. This is a race of warriors who although immortal value an honorable death above all others. Frigga and Loki died with honor. Thor's is a prince of Asgard and despite his grief, he's not going to go moping around about it. Plus he's got a freaking universe to save.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #695
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The Aether sensed her and sought her out. Hence why she found it. It SEEKED her through the portal. So, it actually isn't a convenience at all. She was close to a portal to the Aether, it sense it...pulled her in, and gotz host body!!!! Makes sense to me.
Except, that's not mentioned once in the movie. It's a cool fan theory that helps explain some plot convenience but nothing more.

Quote:
No more random than Bilbo Baggins finding the ring of doom. This isn't a case of a symbiote meteorite landing next to the one of the only super powered persons on the planet. She located an anomaly based on an energy signature she had been looking for.
Yeah, Bilbo Baggins finding the ring has always been absurd but it does happen in a children's book. The symbiote meteorite is also equally absurd. Of course, it happens in an incredibly dumb movie.

Quote:
Further she didn't fall through the portal like the car keys - she was pulled into it. Obviously by the Aether. This is all explained in the movie. Maybe you should've paid closer attention. Odin revealed that the Aether would seek a host body. She was the closest body available.
No, not at all. There is no mention of it pulling her anywhere. She walked through a portal which just happened to lead to the secret loaction of the Aether. That's what happened. That it wants a host body doesn't mean it was somehow able draw Jane toward it.

Quote:
And honestly, are we really debating this plot point in a movie based on a comic where a dude flies around with a hammer? How exactly does the hammer defy all laws of science? How exactly does Superman fly? I mean come on.
Sure. I don't think it's really a problem at all, more of an annoyance. But let's not pretend it isn't sloppy writing. This particular point could have been easily removed by having it specifically stated that the Aether did draw Jane to it.

Furthermore, it's not the only time something like this happens. Fore example, Thor and Jane also just happen to stumble upon the portal that the intern threw the keys through.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #696
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Since the MCU launched, only Iron Man has been in more movies than Thor.
Not correct. Pepper Potts and Colson and Nick Fury have more appearances than Thor, with Black Widow set to outweigh him.

And Erik Selvig and Loki and Banner and Cap tie with Thor.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 11-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #697
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Except, that's not mentioned once in the movie. It's a cool fan theory that helps explain some plot convenience but nothing more.
She didn't walk into the portal. She was pulled by SOMETHING. That can't be disputed as she wan't moving her feet or body willingly. Thus, it was pretty clear to me. It didn't need to be flat out stated.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #698
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

@ares834, Dude! Seriously? Did you even watch the movie? Jane was clearly pulled. And Odin did explain it to Thor and Jane when he was reading to them from the ancient books on the dark elves.

And my point about Bilbo is that it wasn't random. Bilbo didn't find the ring - the ring found him. There's obvious LOTR parallels in Thor TDW which being a fan of both I'm totally fine with.

I will agree the car keys thing was random but that was damn funny and forgivable.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #699
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I felt the Asguardians dealt with death fine as well. Not to mention, besides dealing with death, they all knew the gravity of the current situation, it would not just be the end of Asguard, but of the whole universe as anyone knew it.

There really was no time to mope around, they displayed their grief/respect but they knew what was potentially coming ahead.

Even with that in mind, IMO Odin clearly had vengeance on his mind and was not thinking as evenly as the previous movie displayed. Again, just IMO.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #700
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Only thing that bugged me is the deleted scenes they mention that woud have fleshed out the background for Malekith, that I wished never got cut and should have been in there.

Last edited by Tymminator; 11-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote