Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #976
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
There is a big, big difference. The Joker got rid of a lot of the cops, in favor of his own plants. There was no one there to recognize him. The public aren't looking for him, and who would expect such a thing other then the cops? And they are put out of commission. Thus, plausible enough imo. Also, it is keeping within the story. The Joker doing the unexpected and brazen to incite fear.

But Jane finding the Aether is straight up, "we need her in the film and need a reason to get her to Asgard". You can have the same exact plot, and cut her and her buddies out, and it arguably be a much better film.
If I'm thinking about it I'm not buying that either, especially with how the movie tries to be more realistic than superhero. If I'm just going along for the ride I have no problems with it.

You're deliberately describing the two things in different ways. I agree with your assessment but I feel you can do the same thing with the Joker bit (which isn't the only example in that movie, just as Jane/Aether isn't the only one in TDW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I always find it amusing people when bring up something from The Dark Knight to justify a bad piece of story telling in another superhero film.
Is it as amusing as seeing you yet again try to avoid the subject? You did that before and then just stopped responding when I called you on it. I take it I shouldn't bother discussing with you.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #977
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
If I'm thinking about it I'm not buying that either, especially with how the movie tries to be more realistic than superhero. If I'm just going along for the ride I have no problems with it.

You're deliberately describing the two things in different ways. I agree with your assessment but I feel you can do the same thing with the Joker bit (which isn't the only example in that movie, just as Jane/Aether isn't the only one in TDW).
Nolan made Batman grounded, if he was going for straight realism, he wouldn't be running around flying on rooftops. Batman wouldn't be a ninja who dresses up like a Bat. He wouldn't drive a tank and have batarangs.

And I am describing it how the scenes play out. How likely is it that Jane would stumble on to the one thing that matters that day for the first time in 5,000 years?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #978
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

As likely as any other person.

This is story telling. I mean come on, I don't like the movie but have no problem with Jane finding the Aether. I don't mind her being in the movie too.

I actually wish they had given her more to do than be asleep for the second half and suddenly waking up for the finale.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #979
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
As likely as any other person.

This is story telling. I mean come on, I don't like the movie but have no problem with Jane finding the Aether. I don't mind her being in the movie too.

I actually wish they had given her more to do than be asleep for the second half and suddenly waking up for the finale.
She can find the Aether. She didn't. She stumbled upon it in the most random way. I mean, Bor ordered it buried, so not even Malekith could find it. And Jane isn't even trying and gets a hold of completely randomly. So either Bor's people were really stupid, or Jane somehow stumbled upon the two biggest intergalactic moments in Earth's history post the days of the Vikings.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #980
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I always find it amusing people when bring up something from The Dark Knight to justify a bad piece of story telling in another superhero film.
The same could be said for IM3, MOS,TDKR etc.. It goes both ways buddy, especially with IM3, that movie had become a punching bag on all fronts.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #981
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

So I just caught Thor 2 yesterday and I have to say that I'm surprised at how much I like it. I'm one of those fans that whined about the Mandarin situation in Iron Man 3, so expectations were low.

Thor 2 was a very fun movie and I really liked the way that the final battle was treated. My hopes are back up for The Winter Soldier.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #982
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

Is it as amusing as seeing you yet again try to avoid the subject? You did that before and then just stopped responding when I called you on it. I take it I shouldn't bother discussing with you.
I'm not avoiding the subject, DarthSkywalker said pretty much what I would have said anyway, so there really was no point in me responding. Bringing up The Dark Knight to defend poor execution in another film is a constant on this board and frankly it's not worth the time and effort responding any further to that line of debate. It's humourous because you're not actually arguing the plot convenience isn't weak within Thor 2, you're just saying it happens in other movies as well, which is a poor mans argument.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #983
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
The same could be said for IM3, MOS,TDKR etc.. It goes both ways buddy, especially with IM3, that movie had become a punching bag on all fronts.
I like IM3. But the defense of it gets too much for me at times. People are basically called angry fanboys for not loving it. Killian is awesome, but he isn't the problem imo.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #984
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

From reading through threads like this....I now believe that "comic book fans" have lost their sense of humor and fun.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #985
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like IM3. But the defense of it gets too much for me at times. People are basically called angry fanboys for not loving it. Killian is awesome, but he isn't the problem imo.
IM3 has a lot of problems and you're right, Killian wasn't even the problem. I didn't like how they handled extremis and Maya Henson was useless IMO. To be fair some people are 'angry' fanboys especially the ones who say the movie was bad because they ruined the Mandarin whilst there are other serious problems with the film.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #986
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
From reading through threads like this....I now believe that "comic book fans" have lost their sense of humor and fun.
On the contrary, I think this movie actually rekindled it for me. Unintentionally, but still.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #987
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Meh, I just don't think cheesey Kat Dennings one liners are all that funny.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #988
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lee, I understand the idea of "in the moment". I cracked up, my brother cracked up and so did my niece and mother. But walking out, I didn't feel like I had just experience something great. And it is getting to me as more time passes. I enjoyed it, I love everyone involved, but I don't think that means I have to accept it fully.

Will it go on my shelf, in my Blu Ray collection? Yep. Will I see it in theaters a third time? Most likely yes. But that doesn't mean I can't see it for what I feel it is. Somewhat standard popcorn fare.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 11-10-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #989
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
On the contrary, I think this movie actually rekindled it for me. Unintentionally, but still.
That's nice to hear. My comment wasn't meant to cover everyone, just many of the louder complainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Meh, I just don't think cheesey Kat Dennings one liners are all that funny.
As I said....some people on here have lost their sense of fun.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #990
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Agreed, the humor was the least of my problems with the film. It kept it from being totally bland imo.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #991
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
That's nice to hear. My comment wasn't meant to cover everyone, just many of the louder complainers.

As I said....some people on here have lost their sense of fun.
If Kat Dennings was my idea of fun, I could just watch Two Broke Girls for free. Not spend 10 bucks for a ticket.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #992
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Imo, Thor's supporting characters are the most entertaining of the Marvel films.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #993
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Imo, Thor's supporting characters are the most entertaining of the Marvel films.
I'd agree with that actually.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #994
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

If anyone is looking for a movie example that meets the criterion of plot conveniences, take a look at Spider-Man 3, the symbiote conveniently lands on an asteroid near Peter Parker, the Sandman is tied to the event that killed uncle Ben and so on.

*\S/T*
Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #995
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Nolan made Batman grounded, if he was going for straight realism, he wouldn't be running around flying on rooftops. Batman wouldn't be a ninja who dresses up like a Bat. He wouldn't drive a tank and have batarangs.

And I am describing it how the scenes play out. How likely is it that Jane would stumble on to the one thing that matters that day for the first time in 5,000 years?
But if it's grounded in something other than reality I don't know what that term means. Not that it really matters, but if he didn't dress up like a bat etc then it wouldn't be Batman at all. It's not a binary thing.

But you didn't really try to describe the TDW scene, although you did for the TDK one. Jane gets to the site because there have been some weird readings from her equipment. When she gets there she eventually sees that the readings are stronger at a different spot than the weird stuff with the truck and the stairway. She follows that and gets to the Aether, which was what caused those readings.

It's a plot device for sure, but you made it sound like if she was at dinner and found the Aether by going through a portal when she went to powder her nose, compared to your description of what the Joker did.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #996
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
If anyone is looking for a movie example that meets the criterion of plot conveniences, take a look at Spider-Man 3, the symbiote conveniently lands on an asteroid near Peter Parker, the Sandman is tied to the event that killed uncle Ben and so on.
Dude, it's cool though. Spider-Man danced, it was funny, it is fine.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #997
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed, the humor was the least of my problems with the film. It kept it from being totally bland imo.

Bland?? Really? I thought it was amazing.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #998
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
We must have watched two different movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If Kat Dennings was my idea of fun, I could just watch Two Broke Girls for free. Not spend 10 bucks for a ticket.
Where do people spend 10 bucks for a ticket? It didn't even cost that much for two of us at the theater I went to.

Quote:
That's for sure.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #999
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where do people spend 10 bucks for a ticket? It didn't even cost that much for two of us at the theater I went to.
Tickets are 11 bucks after 6 where I live. And I don't exactly live in a big city. I only do that when I have passes. I had passes this time.

It is only 5 bucks if you go to the first showing during the day, which is what I usually do.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #1000
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I'm not avoiding the subject, DarthSkywalker said pretty much what I would have said anyway, so there really was no point in me responding. Bringing up The Dark Knight to defend poor execution in another film is a constant on this board and frankly it's not worth the time and effort responding any further to that line of debate. It's humourous because you're not actually arguing the plot convenience isn't weak within Thor 2, you're just saying it happens in other movies as well, which is a poor mans argument.
Yes you did. Don't drag DarthSkywalker into it because he makes sense when he responds. You wrote something pointless without much description.

I'm also not defending TDW. I can't even count how many times I've said that I have no problems with people not liking the movie and that I understand much of the criticism even when I don't agree. My point was that I don't get how people can be surprised at clear plot devices as I feel most CBM's have them.

My conclusion is that you try to rile up fans and therefor interpret my posts in that view. I guess that's why you made a point to add a laughing smiley when you thought you were criticizing something I was defending. I guess it goes together with how you've acted before.

Closed Thread