This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Bland?? Really? I thought it was amazing.
Yes, bland. Aside from the visuals, score and comedy it was a largely un-compelling movie. Thor felt oddly sidetracked in his own film and nothing really felt at stake. The more I think about the movie the movie I think I disliked it. Probably the second worst MCU film after Incredible Hulk. Both have the same generic action/fantasy element that fails to raise it above anything but mediocre. Even the action was boring. Aside from the Asgard raid nothing stood out.

I was pretty tired when I saw it though, so that may have contributed to me being underwhelmed. It's happened before. So a re-watch is in order but as of right now I was disappointed.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
But if it's grounded in something other than reality I don't know what that term means. Not that it really matters, but if he didn't dress up like a bat etc then it wouldn't be Batman at all. It's not a binary thing.
You ground it in plausibility. Give the crowd a good reason why he can do what he does, and they accept it. I feel that they have done the same for Iron Man and Thor, just this time they didn't have the rest of it down imo.

Quote:
But you didn't really try to describe the TDW scene, although you did for the TDK one. Jane gets to the site because there have been some weird readings from her equipment. When she gets there she eventually sees that the readings are stronger at a different spot than the weird stuff with the truck and the stairway. She follows that and gets to the Aether, which was what caused those readings.

It's a plot device for sure, but you made it sound like if she was at dinner and found the Aether by going through a portal when she went to powder her nose, compared to your description of what the Joker did.
And ends up in the place where the Aether was so carefully hidden. Think about that and then how it ties back to the event and her "need" to be with Thor.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Yes, bland. Aside from the visuals, score and comedy it was a largely un-compelling movie. Thor felt oddly sidetracked in his own film and nothing really felt at stake. The more I think about the movie the movie I think I disliked it. Probably the second worst MCU film after Incredible Hulk. Both have the same generic action/fantasy element that fails to raise it above anything but mediocre. Even the action was boring. Aside from the Asgard raid nothing stood out.

I was pretty tired when I saw it though, so that may have contributed to me being underwhelmed. It's happened before. So a re-watch is in order but as of right now I was disappointed.

soo.....you didn't even like the epic action/battles?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It did have a lot of great action scenes didn't it. A very fun enjoyable movie for me and my wife.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
It did have a lot of great action scenes didn't it. A very fun enjoyable movie for me and my wife.
Lee is so past things like plot, story and character progression. No time for that. Just bring out the fun!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
What epic action? All the fights were short and shot with little to no energy or style. It had no form or choreography. The finale was just Thor and the Doctor world hopping for a a little bit and then Thor hammers him once and it's over.

The Asgard attack was the only thing that had any form of momentum or excitement. Not to mention the fact Thor felt oddly powered down. Kurse can whoop his butt but in the prologue a few Asgardian warriors take him down... :/

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Lee is so past things like plot, story and character progression. No time for that. Just bring out the fun!
Now you get me.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Imo, Thor's supporting characters are the most entertaining of the Marvel films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'd agree with that actually.
I would also. Loki, Jane, Odin, Siv and the Warriors Three are great supporting characters. Hell, Erik was a great supporting character in Thor and The Avengers. So why was the latter completely degraded into a running joke, Odin made to act completely out of character and Siv and the Warriors Three neglected in favor of Kat Dennings and an intern?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Now you get me.
Being a tiny more serious, I kinda wish I was at that point. This caring too much about entertainment can't be healthy and it certainly not necessary. In the moment is where it is at.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
You ground it in plausibility. Give the crowd a good reason why he can do what he does, and they accept it. I feel that they have done the same for Iron Man and Thor, just this time they didn't have the rest of it down imo.
I don't know if I feel that Iron Man and Thor go that far in terms of plausibility since they break all kinds of physics and other things in those movies. They are more out there than the more comic book versions of Batman.

Quote:
And ends up in the place where the Aether was so carefully hidden. Think about that and then how it ties back to the event and her "need" to be with Thor.
I already said that she reached the Aether so why do you add that? How it ties back? She's researching the connections between the realms since the first movie and therefor is the one that's the most likely to purposefully go to the site where the anomalies are happening, unlike the kids who just happened to see it by chance. As for her being the one infected, it's pretty common to put important characters in danger instead of random people.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I would also. Loki, Jane, Odin, Siv and the Warriors Three are great supporting characters. Hell, Erik was a great supporting character in Thor and The Avengers. So why was the latter completely degraded into a running joke, Odin made to act completely out of character and Siv and the Warriors Three neglected in favor of Kat Dennings and an intern?
Who is Siv? You keep spelling it like that, is that an old school way of spelling Sif?

I also agree that Thor has the best consistent supporting cast, though for me TFA excels the most for a "one off".

Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
What epic action? All the fights were short and shot with little to no energy or style. It had no form or choreography. The finale was just Thor and the Doctor world hopping for a a little bit and then Thor hammers him once and it's over.
That's an exaggeration. I recall Thor bashing him with his hammer a few times actually.

Quote:
The Asgard attack was the only thing that had any form of momentum or excitement. Not to mention the fact Thor felt oddly powered down. Kurse can whoop his butt but in the prologue a few Asgardian warriors take him down... :/
Kurse wasn't in the prologue. There was a elf that hulked out the way Algrim did but that actually wasn't Kurse. I actually felt Thor was more powerful in this movie but if you compare him to Kurse and Malekith, he feels less powerful because those two are powerful.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Who is Siv? You keep spelling it like that, is that an old school way of spelling Sif?

I also agree that Thor has the best consistent supporting cast, though for me TFA excels the most for a "one off".
Haha, Siv, Sif, it sounds the same to me.

I was really sad to see Zach Levi wasted. He was Branagh's first choice for the role but had to duck out due to the unexpected renewal of Chuck. He would've nailed it. I figured once he was cast, it meant that the Warriors Three would have an expanded role. But he was given virtually nothing to do in the movie.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I don't know if I feel that Iron Man and Thor go that far in terms of plausibility since they break all kinds of physics and other things in those movies. They are more out there than the more comic book versions of Batman.
So does Batman. They all break all kinds of laws of physics. Same with Hulk. But they make them plausible, which is what is most important in this regard imo.

Quote:
I already said that she reached the Aether so why do you add that? How it ties back? She's researching the connections between the realms since the first movie and therefor is the one that's the most likely to purposefully go to the site where the anomalies are happening, unlike the kids who just happened to see it by chance. As for her being the one infected, it's pretty common to put important characters in danger instead of random people.
That she reaches the super hidden Aether as a reason for Thor to pick her up is my point. There was no need to have the Aether infect anyone. They after all wrote the laws of it. Jane is infected as pure plot convenience.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I really like the action. It was very unique and really didnt have to be. It couldve just been hammer vs dark elf hack and slash. But instead:

1. you had a dogfight-type spaceship battle in a movie about viking warriors. WUT
2. you had a villain (Kurse) who wouldve in no uncertain terms killed the hero in hand to hand combat. With Thor LITERALLY having his face pounded into the ground.
3. Final battle shooping through portals left and right. Reality warping through the realms.

All culminating in a solid amount of action. As opposed to Thor 1, which was just utterly lacking in that area.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:

I was really sad to see Zach Levi wasted. He was Branagh's first choice for the role but had to duck out due to the unexpected renewal of Chuck. He would've nailed it. I figured once he was cast, it meant that the Warriors Three would have an expanded role. But he was given virtually nothing to do in the movie.

Agree on Levi. As I said in his thread, I think Dallas had the look, but Levi captured the character far better in his short screen time imo.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Why is the poll closed? We're still in the opening weekend. Anyway, saw it last night but kept nodding off due to lack of sleep. I know I liked it but am not sure just where to rank it. It's a 7 or an 8 out of 10 for me. Got to see it again fresh to lock that down. Not sure if I liked it more than IM3 or Thor1 but definitely not a bad movie. But at the same time it didn't knock my socks off either. I agree with this youtuber review guy I watch when he said that if these films we got this year had come out 10 years ago they'd be instantly hailed as among the best superhero films ever made. But times have changed and it looks like 2013's crop of SH films will go down as just ok-to-good but nothing spectacular. I hold out more hope for 2014. Looks like Anchorman2 and Hobbit 2 are left to bring the awesome for 2013 or else it'll go down in my book as a ho-hum year over all.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Why is the poll closed? We're still in the opening weekend. Anyway, saw it last night but kept nodding off due to lack of sleep. I know I liked it but am not sure just where to rank it. It's a 7 or an 8 out of 10 for me. Got to see it again fresh to lock that down. Not sure if I liked it more than IM3 or Thor1 but definitely not a bad movie. But at the same time it didn't knock my socks off either. I agree with this youtuber review guy I watch when he said that if these films we got this year had come out 10 years ago they'd be instantly hailed as among the best superhero films ever made. But times have changed and it looks like 2013's crop of SH films will go down as just ok-to-good but nothing spectacular. I hold out more hope for 2014. Looks like Anchorman2 and Hobbit 2 are left to bring the awesome for 2013 or else it'll go down in my book as a ho-hum year over all.
The polls always close after the first version of the thread is closed.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:

Honestly I like Josh Dallas better in the role. He gave off more of that Erroll Flynn vibe that Fandral is supposed to have. But Levi was adequate for me.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
So does Batman. They all break all kinds of laws of physics. Same with Hulk. But they make them plausible, which is what is most important in this regard imo.
How can something that breaks many more laws of physics more often be as plausible as something that does it less?

Quote:
That she reaches the super hidden Aether as a reason for Thor to pick her up is my point. There was no need to have the Aether infect anyone. They after all wrote the laws of it. Jane is infected as pure plot convenience.
I've already said it is a plot convenience from the start of the discussion so you don't have keep trying to convince me of that.

The Aether will always be found by a plot convenience. It's hidden and the writers need to get it out in the open for there to be a story. It would be just as convenient if instead the dark elves just happened to come back and be able to find it. The Aether didn't needed to be taken to Asgard either, the writers likely just thought that it would be cool to have an invasion of Asgard by the dark elves, as well as some interaction in Asgard regarding the Aether as well as Jane, and needed a reason for them to do so.

If we go to that level you can break down most things like this. I don't see anything out of the ordinary about that Jane meets Thor, he goes away, she starts looking for him, her research puts her in danger causing Thor, who's had to stay away, to act. How does that differ from stories in Thor comics?

Last edited by Mjölnir; 11-10-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Okay no. Jane finding the Aether is not nearly as unfortunately "convenient" as you all would have us believe. She's been searching for these type of anomalies for 2 years. She's in London because Selvig insisted she be there. She is a world renowned scientist (by now) and specializes in fashioning her own equipment. This equipment managed to pickup a signal for the convergence between the realms. Whilst investigating she slipped into the alternate realm (where the Aether was hidden by Bor's men) and it bonded itself to her.

I'm not understanding how this is any more "convenient" than Red Skull seeking out the Tesseract in Norway, Odin banishing Thor to Midgard to learn humility or Tony Stark being captured by the same Ten Ring insurgents as Yinsen.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Okay no. Jane finding the Aether is not nearly as unfortunately "convenient" as you all would have us believe. She's been searching for these type of anomalies for 2 years. She's in London because Selvig insisted she be there. She is a world renowned scientist (by now) and specializes in fashioning her own equipment. This equipment managed to pickup a signal for the convergence between the realms. Whilst investigating she slipped into the alternate realm (where the Aether was hidden by Bor's men) and it bonded itself to her.

I'm not understanding how this is any more "convenient" than Red Skull seeking out the Tesseract in Norway, Odin banishing Thor to Midgard to learn humility or Tony Stark being captured by the same Ten Ring insurgents as Yinsen.
Making Earth the center of the situation, while having a portal that leads to a place that is suppose to be impossible to find are just two examples.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I did like the film, probably my 3rd Favorite MCU film behind Avengers and Iron Man, but I just feel the film could have been so much better.

I really expected to see more of the 9 realms then we did in the film, and I was upset how the film simply just forgot about the Warriors 3 and Heimdall for the majority of the second and the entire third act.

With the Elves on earth about to destroy the 9 realms, i really was expecting Odin to come down with an Asgardian force led by Sif with the Warriors 3 and Heimdall or something... even if Odin dislikes Earth, you would expect him to ensure the safety of the 9 realms.

I feel like the film shouldn't even have gone back to earth after Thor takes Jane to Asgard, they could have the main battle in another realm and have the film still end with Thor going to earth with Jane.

Its an entertaining film, but they had so many subplots in the film they literally would start a subplot (i.e. Sif and Thor relationship), and forget about it later on. Its an entertaining film, but it lacked focus.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote