The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #76
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Default Re: Who dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerPA View Post
Iron Man can die in Avengers 2 and come back to life in Avengers 3. He can do this one of two ways:

1. Tony Stark creates Ultron, who tries to destroy humanity. Embarrassed by this, Tony decides to fake his death in order to avoid public scrutiny. A remote-controlled Iron Man blows up, and the announcement is made that Tony Stark is dead. Tony will continue to live in seclusion and provide behind-the-scenes assistance to the Avengers. He later returns to life in the third film.

2. Iron Man appears to die in the finale of the film. The Avengers believe him dead. At the end, it is revealed that Iron Man is being held prisoner in space by Thanos. The Avengers have to rescue him in the third film.
Ok the first suggestion I wouldn't mind seeing.

But Tony Stark isn't dying in A2, no chance.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #77
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
You kill off a major character to make millions, and then you bring them back to life in order to make millions more.

The Hulk's death could involve exile into space or another dimension, and then you would have him fight his way back to Earth. Millions made.
Cap's death would lead to his replacement by the Winter Soldier. New Cap leads to more millions made.
Thor's death would put him in the Asgardian afterlife. Hela would be introduced at this point. Thor would then escape from the afterlife in his next movie.
Dude, Cap 3's BO would go down TREMENDOUSLY if you killed off Steve Rogers and made Bucky Cap. Interest in the character is immediately lost, and the film will suffer. Thor could make sense given Hela's involvement and such, but that still involved Hemms and he isn't actually dead (he would be "technically" dead). But, I think a Thor film based on Ragnarok would be a better Thor 3 than escape from Niffleheim. (most probably would agree). You can't permanently kill Thor or Cap, and then expect the BO to increase. It will only lose money and there is little logic in doing it financially.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #78
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Dude, Cap 3's BO would go down TREMENDOUSLY if you killed off Steve Rogers and made Bucky Cap. Interest in the character is immediately lost, and the film will suffer. Thor could make sense given Hela's involvement and such, but that still involved Hemms and he isn't actually dead (he would be "technically" dead). But, I think a Thor film based on Ragnarok would be a better Thor 3 than escape from Niffleheim. (most probably would agree). You can't permanently kill Thor or Cap, and then expect the BO to increase. It will only lose money and there is little logic in doing it financially.
I agree!

While the Han-Solo-in-carbonite-esque apparent death is a cool cliffhanger, I don't see Marvel doing this to end a film. Remember, they didn't even end CA:TFA with this type of cliffhanger, where it would have made the most sense (they couldn't even wait until after the credits!).

I shouldn't rule it out outright, I haven't sat in on any meetings with Feige and I don't know what he's thinking, but based on what we've seen so far, I don't see it happening.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #79
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
It depends on how Bucky is received in TWS and Avengers 2. "Captain America: Fallen Son" about Bucky trying to live up to Cap could pique interest if done right. New protagonists have been done well, with Bourne Legacy, GI Joe: Retaliation, and a whole host of video game franchises. The idea that killing off or replacing the main character removes all the appeal of the franchise is false. After all, if people feel like A) the same story is being continued and B) They like the new guy as much or more, why wouldn't they show up?

I do agree they would want to bring Steve back though... how and when is anyone's guess, I think. I also like the idea of Thor. I say kill 'em both!

Last edited by DrCosmic; 10-21-2013 at 03:03 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Ultron kills all the Avengers

Then Whedon appears in the post-credit scene, and says " sorry no Avengers 3"

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #81
Bren
Forevernoob

If you manip that troll face to look like Ultron, you win everything.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #82
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
If you manip that troll face to look like Ultron, you win everything.
That's what I wanted to do in the 1st place

But I suck at manips

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #83
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It depends on how Bucky is received in TWS and Avengers 2. "Captain America: Fallen Son" about Bucky trying to live up to Cap could pique interest if done right. New protagonists have been done well, with Bourne Legacy, GI Joe: Retaliation, and a whole host of video game franchises. The idea that killing off or replacing the main character removes all the appeal of the franchise is false. After all, if people feel like A) the same story is being continued and B) They like the new guy as much or more, why wouldn't they show up?

I do agree they would want to bring Steve back though... how and when is anyone's guess, I think. I also like the idea of Thor. I say kill 'em both!
GI Joe 2 is a bad example because Tatum was in it (though he was killed off). Let's see how BO for GI Joe 3 shakes out. Now, Bourne is a fair comparison:

Bourne Ultimatum - 227 dom, 442 ww
Bourne Legacy - 113 dom, 276 ww

Bourne lost over 150 million dollars in replacing Damon. That's a fairly steep drop. Yes, it still did fairly well, but I don't think Disney wants to lose money going from Cap 2 to Cap 3. The goal is to keep making the BO money. I think it'd be a dumb move to do this with Cap 3.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #84
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I just can't imagine them killing a major character who had their own movie, then to be replaced as Captain America by a supporting character.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #85
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I say no one dies in this one. Simply because they are going to need everyone and their grandmother when Thanos comes to town in A3. There will be plenty bloodshed then.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #86
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Something I think people should remember - Whedon has stated that he actually doesn't like the ending of Empire Strikes Back because of the cliffhanger with Han being frozen in carbonite. So I doubt very much that someone will be lost out to space or captured or in anyway left hanging at the end of the movie. They will either be dead or will have finished the mission and gone off back to their lives, like the end of the first movie.

JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #87
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Hawkeye is the best red shirt.

The other characters are too important for future MCU films.

But all bets are off for Avengers 3.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #88
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

I personally don't think they have the guys to kill off any of the Avengers.
1.Iron Man
2.Captain America
3.Thor
4.Hulk
5.Hawkeye
6.Black Widow

They all are safe. If anyone does it will be secondary characters. Personally I would be pleasantly surprised if the killed of one Of the big guns. Also I'm not a fan of the James Bond recasting. Theirs plenty of characters to make this go on for a long time without having to watch Iron Man 21 or Thor 14. Also if you kill a character off leave them gone.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #89
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

There will never be a cinematic cap that isn't Steve rogers. (Thats right I said never)

And Hawkeye could be killed off without any real fuss. Whedon would make it heroic as hell so why not? Wanda can resurrect him in A3.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 10-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #90
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I'm actually hoping that it's Nick Fury. He's the man who brought The Avengers together. He was the one who didn't allow for a nuclear strike on New York. Nick Fury dying, being replaced with Maria Hill and having a new director who's far less sympathetic to The Avengers who'll lead a darker SHIELD and might butt heads with the rest of the cast is incredibly interesting to me.

I wouldn't kill off more than one character for this since Avengers 3 with Thanos is the opportunity to murder most of the cast. If I had to choose anyone else, it would be Hawkeye. He'd have so much tension with Cap over Black Widow and then having himself die a noble sacrifice for Cap would be all worthwhile. Of the main six, I doubt that Hawkeye will ever get his own film so having him go out in a blaze of glory would be the right way to handle him.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #91
BenKenobi
Banned User

If you saw Thor 2's mid credits scene there's zero doubt where the franchise is headed. Robert Downey Jr has been causing all sorts of problems for Marvel, Iron Man 4 is unlikely, and Iron Man 3 completed his character arc nicely. Avengers Age of Ultron will put Stark right back where he started, creating a weapon for the greater good that destroys and hurts more than it helps. Whedon knows killing beloved characters raises the stakes, he called Avengers 2 the "Empire Strikes Back" of the franchise, and let's face it- Tony is definitely our Han Solo.

It's good storytelling to have Iron Man die in this film to be honest. He made a point of saying he was given a second chance at life in the cave, over and over. By this point he's overcome all his short comings, including the reliance on his armor. When the script was written Marvel was unsure Downey would reprise his role. It just makes sense that Stark will have to die before the credits role.

Now given the Infinity Gauntlet is coming into play most likely he will be resurrected for the big fight with Thanos inadvertently. Afterall the "return" of such a popular character would be a HUGE box office draw so financially it would make sense as well. I could really go on about why it makes so much sense that Iron Man is going to go but I know no one wants to read all that haha.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #92
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I'm actually hoping that it's Nick Fury. He's the man who brought The Avengers together. He was the one who didn't allow for a nuclear strike on New York. Nick Fury dying, being replaced with Maria Hill and having a new director who's far less sympathetic to The Avengers who'll lead a darker SHIELD and might butt heads with the rest of the cast is incredibly interesting to me.

I wouldn't kill off more than one character for this since Avengers 3 with Thanos is the opportunity to murder most of the cast. If I had to choose anyone else, it would be Hawkeye. He'd have so much tension with Cap over Black Widow and then having himself die a noble sacrifice for Cap would be all worthwhile. Of the main six, I doubt that Hawkeye will ever get his own film so having him go out in a blaze of glory would be the right way to handle him.
I think Fury might die in Winter Soldier. Feige keeps saying after we see that film, everyone will understand retroactively why SHIELD wasn't there to save the president or to help Thor in London, and why the Avengers need to come back together (and probably why Stark introduces Ultron.) Of course Jackson will be back if he's dead though, he's got too many films left on his contract for Marvel to off him all together.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #93
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
If you saw Thor 2's mid credits scene there's zero doubt where the franchise is headed. Robert Downey Jr has been causing all sorts of problems for Marvel, Iron Man 4 is unlikely, and Iron Man 3 completed his character arc nicely. Avengers Age of Ultron will put Stark right back where he started, creating a weapon for the greater good that destroys and hurts more than it helps. Whedon knows killing beloved characters raises the stakes, he called Avengers 2 the "Empire Strikes Back" of the franchise, and let's face it- Tony is definitely our Han Solo.

It's good storytelling to have Iron Man die in this film to be honest. He made a point of saying he was given a second chance at life in the cave, over and over. By this point he's overcome all his short comings, including the reliance on his armor. When the script was written Marvel was unsure Downey would reprise his role. It just makes sense that Stark will have to die before the credits role.

Now given the Infinity Gauntlet is coming into play most likely he will be resurrected for the big fight with Thanos inadvertently. Afterall the "return" of such a popular character would be a HUGE box office draw so financially it would make sense as well. I could really go on about why it makes so much sense that Iron Man is going to go but I know no one wants to read all that haha.
Iron Man will die in Avengers 2, be dead for most of Phase 3, and come back to life in Avengers 3. RDJ will then step out of the role. Iron Man 4 will come after Avengers 3 and feature a new actor as Tony Stark, and a new Pepper Potts as well.

AvengerPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #94
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
GI Joe 2 is a bad example because Tatum was in it (though he was killed off). Let's see how BO for GI Joe 3 shakes out. Now, Bourne is a fair comparison:

Bourne Ultimatum - 227 dom, 442 ww
Bourne Legacy - 113 dom, 276 ww

Bourne lost over 150 million dollars in replacing Damon. That's a fairly steep drop. Yes, it still did fairly well, but I don't think Disney wants to lose money going from Cap 2 to Cap 3. The goal is to keep making the BO money. I think it'd be a dumb move to do this with Cap 3.
It's the reverse. Steve Rogers is in Fallen Son, so Bourne would then be the bad example and GI Joe the fair comparison. Regardless, they both underscore my point that changing protagonists works if you continue the same story and they like the new guy as much or more, which Bourne didn't do in either case. Success or failure is not an arbitrary thing.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #95
the great thor
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
It's probably Hawkeye. He has the most useless skillset of any Avenger and he'll never get his own solo film. I'd bank on a Black Widow or War Machine film before Hawkeye gets one. Joss is probably going to flesh him out, make him likable and then get him killed by Ultron which will resolve the love triangle with Cap and Black Widow.

Like I can't imagine an Avengers film without Iron Man and Captain America. Thor probably won't die until a Ragnarok film comes, Black Widow dying will piss off all the female fans and kids love Hulk too much for him to perish. That leaves Hawkeye with the noose around his neck.
I agree with you but i have to be careful because the hawkeye fans will kill you for stating the obvious. The fact is hawkeye or bwidow are ripe too be killed off, i mean from a skill-set pov lets face it the avengers could have won that fight without one of them. What did hawkeye do that anyone with a gun who is a good shot didnt do, and bwidow did some hand-to hand and shot the bad guys, well most shield agents can do that.(doesnt mean they should be on a team with gods and iron men. For those who would say "what about cap" The very nature of who and what (super soldier) he is, is to important to the world that has been set up. He is the worlds only super soldier. Of course other factors are involved in making a movie and who should be killed off, but i think the most human team members are on the kill sheet.

Last edited by the great thor; 11-14-2013 at 02:07 PM.
the great thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #96
Kaboom
knock knock

Doesn't Whedon have the luxury of being able to kill off anyone over the course of AoU and Phase 3 because he has the built in ability to pick any hero he wants from any time period and bring them to the Avengers 3 by way of the time gem?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #97
chaseter
Bland User

You have to remember that by bringing in new Avengers, you are going to have to trim down the existing team. By Avengers 3, we can't have 10 Avengers running around.

Hawkeye I think is definitely deadzo. Renner *****ed about not having anything to do in Avengers 1 so he will get his moment to shine and then bite the dust.

Falcon I think will bite the dust.

Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk are definitely safe this go around. I would be truly shocked if anyone of those died. Widow I think they will keep around as someone has mentioned...she is the only woman on the team.

As for fake outs...I think Fury will fake his death and Maria will take over SHIELD. That is assuming that won't happen in Cap 2...which it may as that movie seems to be really SHIELD heavy.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #98
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Iron Man will die in Avengers 2, be dead for most of Phase 3, and come back to life in Avengers 3. RDJ will then step out of the role. Iron Man 4 will come after Avengers 3 and feature a new actor as Tony Stark, and a new Pepper Potts as well.
I like this idea.

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #99
chaseter
Bland User

I don't.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #100
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Why does somebody have to die? I don't recall any major characters dying in any of the DC movies, why does Marvel have to kill someone in theirs?

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote